Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

BURNING ISSUE

Genuine dilemma for Thaksin

With election likely to be delayed, PM's position is becoming more precarious

After a long struggle to remain as Thailand's leader, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has suddenly found himself more vulnerable to attack than at any time in recent months as the election scheduled for October 15 is very likely to be postponed.

Turning a deaf ear to calls to honour his pre-election promise not to take the premiership if his Thai Rak Thai Party wins the poll, Thaksin insists he will make his position known only after the election. He desperately needs the election to strengthen his position and claim legitimacy in the face of persistent efforts to oust him.

But it appears that in all likelihood the Senate won't be able to pick the new Election Commission (EC) members to fill five vacant seats until at least the weekend. The first registration day for party-list House candidates is today, but the EC won't be able to consider them until next week at the earliest.

Thus, the caretaker government under the new EC's advice will have to fix a new election day, which no one can yet predict amid the current political uncertainty.

Nothing can guarantee the new EC will get along well with the government as three unfriendly faces - as far as the Thai Rak Thai Party is concerned - are among the 10 finalists. They are Kaewsan Atibhodi, Nam Yimyaem and Wasant Sroypisut, all of whom were involved in incidents that undermined Thaksin's premiership in recent years.

Kaewsan and Nam in particular have vowed to overhaul the local ECs nation-wide before holding the election by shuffling local commissioners suspected of taking sides with political groups, which mainly support Thai Rak Thai.

If they go ahead with that plan, it could take several months to complete, and that would likely see the election postponed to early next year.

With this scenario, Thaksin could find himself in the hot seat as his opponents gain momentum in a new round of protests.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has vowed to stage mass rallies around the kingdom as it did earlier this year to continue its assertion that Thaksin is no longer qualified to hold the post of prime minister.

In the intervening period, meanwhile, a number of prominent figures have made a series of damning anti-Thaksin speeches which would appear to have taken great chunks out of his party's and his own credibility, especially in regard to him making a return to power after the poll.

The credit for delaying the election and raising the stakes for the opposition parties could be claimed by a group of anti-Thaksin senators. While Thaksin has been able to resist enormous pressure for his resignation, the group has managed to prolong the vetting of the EC nominees' backgrounds - although most of them welcomed the Supreme Court's selection of candidates at the beginning and said a long process of scrutiny was unnecessary.

But then they accused a group of pro-Thaksin senators of taking a bribe of Bt50 million each to ensure that the three unfriendly faces would not get EC posts. That allegation in itself was enough to create grounds for extension of the vetting of the 10 candidates.

They know that Thai Rak Thai would win at least 300 of the 500 House seats if the election were to take place today. And with the five election commissioners having been endorsed by the Supreme Court, it would be difficult not to accept the legitimacy of that election result.

So now that the election is uncertain, it will mean Thaksin facing greater pressure from leading members of his party, many of whom want him to show where he stands. Any further procrastination on his part can only have a negative impact on the party's campaign.

With party members and swinging voters in danger of switching their support to other parties because of Thaksin's prevarication about whether he will be prime minister again, key leaders are appealing to him to put the matter to rest once and for all.

The longer the election date is deferred, the more vulnerable Thaksin becomes. Facing a genuine dilemma in his political career, Thaksin has little time left in which to decide the safest place to make a landing.

Weerayut Chokchaimadon

The Nation

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Leftists are concerned to win acclaim. They don't care about truth..."

I came across that on a website "Dissecting Leftism" this morning.

If the Thai electors believe that, TRT will romp home, with the Thaksins on tap, if not on top.

While out for my exercise walk through the fields just after dawn this morning, I was thinking about Thailand and Singapore and their futures.

Why did Tamasek take the risk of international furore by buying into Shin?

Tamasek is no ordinary investment house, just concerned with finance. It is the arm of the Singapore Government that looks after one aspect of the pension-savings of all the Singaporean people.

It stands to reason that the Singapore cabinet were aware of the proposed Shin-shares purchase, and its potential ramifications, and still let Temasek go ahead.

Are the deep thinkers seeing the need to tie ASEAN into much closer, more binding, relationship?

It would make sense for the welfare of the Region's populace during the time of the descent from Hubbert's Peak.

Perhaps Singaporeans overestimated Thaksin's grip on power. Otherwise they were promised smooth sailing. Look at ITV case now - the government tries very hard not to collect 76 bil fine from the company, and it might just not succeed even with Thaksin in charge, and ITV WILL have to pay a lot if Thaksin is out. Who will pay that bill?

Singaporeans haven't paid all the money yet and we don't know if there's a cop out clause in the contract just for the cases like this.

Temasek invests all over the place - India, Middle East, I don't think they have any particular Asean integration plans. Shin looked like a good buy at the moment.

Based on the past history of Thaksin and theTRT, people who are TRT members and running for parliament are actually running to be Thaksin buffalos. There are simply there to do as he says without argument. However the same is not true for members of other parties. People from other parties do seem to have a mind of their own and that is a wonderful sign of democracy.

Keep in mind with 500 seats in parliament it should take significant time to pass legislation and not minutes.

Perhaps Singaporeans overestimated Thaksin's grip on power. Otherwise they were promised smooth sailing. Look at ITV case now - the government tries very hard not to collect 76 bil fine from the company, and it might just not succeed even with Thaksin in charge, and ITV WILL have to pay a lot if Thaksin is out. Who will pay that bill?

Singaporeans haven't paid all the money yet and we don't know if there's a cop out clause in the contract just for the cases like this.

Temasek invests all over the place - India, Middle East, I don't think they have any particular Asean integration plans. Shin looked like a good buy at the moment.

I disagree to a certain extent, Shins share price was extremely high and I would say at a price thats difficult to maintain when it's possible the PM will no longer make such strong efforts to bend government policy in a way to benefit Shin to the same extent it has in the past. I think they clearly underestimated fallout from the sale from the Thai public, but they must surely have realised there were risks buying a business that has so obviously benefited from corrupt pratices. It's also very clear that large investment was needed, specifically with AIS, which makes up the majority and most proffitable arm of Shin Corp.

There must be something greater to be gained than just profit, my guess is it's the satelites.

Edited by womble

"There must be something greater to be gained than just profit, my guess is it's the satelites."

Thank you, 'womble', for that suggestion.

It hadn't struck me, but building and launching a satellite could be spoken of as "squirting oil and gas into Space", in the way that people talk of Americans as "gas-and-oil-eaters" (since it takes so much gas and oil to make and spread the fertiliser on which their modern grain (and hence their meat) growth depends).

So a satellite-year in the future will have a much higher price than at present. It makes sense to buy and hoard any of them that come on the market at a sensible price. Like Russia is doing with gold, and China with soya-growing land in South America.

Owning Shin, the Singaporeans will have a bargaining commodity that they can use to get their Thai rice. (Provided Thais are still addicted to use of the mobile phone).

Rice is an interesting commodity. It appears in the statistics to only contribute 9% to the GDP, but there is a huge amount that never gets counted for GDP, as it is grown and eaten by the peasantry who grew it.

Also it is still used as currency, and a lot of rural debts are settled in rice.

Yesterday, I asked our travelling egg seller what was the price of eggs in unhusked rice, as he had been paid a few sacksful by the time he got to us. It was two basketfuls of rice for 25 eggs, which is quite a bit down from the two basketfuls for 20 eggs, after the poultry-slaughter a couple of years ago.

Exactly what is the volume of a basketful in cubic metres, I don't know. I'll ask somebody in Agricultural Economics sometime when I am in Khon Kaen University for a meeting.

Shin stock rose on the speculation that the sale was in the works. It's inevitable once the secret has leaked.

Politically it looked very very safe, economically it's undisputed market leader. A cash cow that would feed singaporeans through their retirement - they weren't after quick money. Even now it's a good investment in the long run.

I'm not sure about satellites - they didn't want to buy anything else but AIS. Unfortunately they had to buy the whole Shin to avoid tax and ownership issues.

Satellites are useless. Most are too old, and Ipstar is a disaster. Singaporeans will probably sell all other non-core businesses like property and finance, and even Air Asia, and focus on AIS only.

Shinsat is very useful to Singtel, so too is AIS.

This buy is about strengthening Singtel in the region.

Yes I agree most of Shin will be sold off, they will keep the satelites and AIS as they are very useful to Singtel.

Singtel controls 100% of Australian telecommunications company Optus, they also have significant investment in telecommunications in India, philipines and indonesia. It is company policy to buy into large market share of a countries telecommunications when they become available. Singtel owns between 30-50% of the telecommunications in the above countries including Thailand.

They are extremely powerful in the asia-pacific telecommunications industry. They will not be selling off parts that will lessen that power.

Why did Tamasek take the risk of international furore by buying into Shin?

Well, beyond the question of the value of Shin, there could be another explanation, a very simple one : the same way that Thaksin cheated over thai people, it's possible too that he cheated with Tamasek.

Tamasek is ran by people. They can make evaluation mistakes too.

And this could explain, why Thaksin is trying very hard to stay in power : in order to keep the deal on track (the tracks that he sold to the Singaporians : "don't be afraid, I will take care of everything, it's going to be smooth, I'm the prime minister").

I'm not sure that there was an hidden agenda. Tamasek thought : it's a good deal.

Back to the topic.

Could one of our distinguished politic analysts give us a quick sum'up regarding the process of selection of the EC members ?

I must confess : I've completly lost the the point among such a large thread.

:o

Basically, if EC is not ready for 15/10, what could be the new election date ? Does the king need to sign another decree for such a purpose ? Or they can use the first one, and extend it ?

And if the EC is up and runing, could their members have an influence regarding the date of the poll ? Is it possible for them to say : 15 october is too short, we need XX more month in order to do our job properly ?

Back to the topic.

Could one of our distinguished politic analysts give us a quick sum'up regarding the process of selection of the EC members ?

I must confess : I've completly lost the the point among such a large thread.

:D

Basically, if EC is not ready for 15/10, what could be the new election date ? Does the king need to sign another decree for such a purpose ? Or they can use the first one, and extend it ?

And if the EC is up and runing, could their members have an influence regarding the date of the poll ? Is it possible for them to say : 15 october is too short, we need XX more month in order to do our job properly ?

I would respectfully propose that we all attempt to keep our posts regarding the EC to the "EC Thread":

Senate Panel Starts To Screen EC Nominees

I copied your post there and wrote a response.

:o

Ten points a different Thaksin might want to consider

Dear caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra: The forces within you must be fighting fiercely.

We feel your determination to defend your Bt73 billion personal stake, your pride at having been the most popular leader in modern Thai history, and your bitter belief that the current crisis now facing you is the outcome of a conspiracy. These have been driving you for a long time, and only you know how much ground they have conceded to a creeping sense of despair, confusion, self-doubt and, we hope, unbiased patriotism.

It's hard for us to put ourselves in your shoes. But since you will have to make an important decision sooner rather than later, here's a little help from our editorial department. This is a list of 10 things that we think that a Thaksin existing in a parallel world, where wealth doesn't matter as much, and ego has a lesser presence in every man, would want to consider before making that big move:

1) Stop going shopping. Seriously. This is at the top of our list because every time you step into a department store the entire nation holds its breath. You should think of the ballooning budget devoted to your security and the chances of the "Go Thaksin Go" and "Thaksin Get! Out" mobs running into each other. Hold your urge to shop until after you have made the right decision.

2) Review your family's business fortunes and answer this question truthfully: what if you hadn't been prime minister? For example, would the telecom excise tax scheme, which enormously benefited Shin Corp, been possible without a Thai Rak Thai-led government? Would the Temasek deal have been successful in its present form?

3) Make a full list of critics who have no vested interest in whether you stay or go. Forget that media tycoon if you like, but make sure your list is full and look at it with an open mind. Then write down the names of your admirers and compare the two lists.

4) You were about to compose a list containing 14 million names weren't you? Which brings us to the next suggestion: you should forget the number of votes you have ever won because that is blurring the issue and taking us nowhere. Voting can solve certain conflicts, but not in this case. This crisis can't be settled by citing electoral figures alone. To give you a little perspective, what if we say the bomb plot against you wasn't real because the majority of Bangkokians surveyed do not believe it's real?

5) You should read the archives of newspapers going two years back and beyond. This is a must. You are accusing the media of being part of the conspiracy, of telling lies, of being unfair and so on. Check out how many breaks the print media gave you and, with a fair mind, try to locate the point when things turned sour. You may be surprised to learn that the dips in your popularity coincided with words like "CTX" and "tax evasion".

6) Ask high-profile deserters like Wissanu Krea-ngam and Borwornsak Uwanno exactly what they think of you.

Have coffee with Anand Panyarachun, lunch with Thirayuth Boonmi and dinner with Prawase Wasi. Talk to academics, doctors, lawyers, artists or whoever the leading lights are. Then ask yourself why suddenly Newin Chidchob and Samak Sundaravej are your only close friends.

7) Read the 1997 Constitution. Again, with a very open heart, ask yourself whether you have held as dear its values and principles. Analyse the country's checks and balances and answer what has gone wrong.

8) Avoid fortune-tellers and voodoo practitioners. The former make us paranoid, otherwise they lose their jobs. The latter, for the same reason, give us the false belief that we can go on with our sins if we use their services. In other words, the two groups combine to trap us in a vicious circle of first being scared of our guilt and then trying to escape from the consequences of the last bad action, only to end up guiltier than you began.

9) Think of the country. Will it be in Thailand's best interest if you stay on? It's hard, but please do this with a very clear conscience.

10) Think of your family. Is it worth it?

There it is. It's up to the man himself now. In that same parallel world, we hold out hope that these suggestions will be looked at seriously before crunch time. Back to reality, we can only pray.

Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation Editorial

Dr. Prawet believes the current political impasses is result of weak society

Dr. Prawer Wasee(ประเวศ วะสี) believes that the current political impasse is the only due to the result of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, but also due to the weak society.

Dr. Prawet said in a recent meeting of Public Health Ministry that all sides should view the political problems as an opportunity.

He added that in order to solve the issues, there is a need for understanding of the problems.

Dr. Prawet spoke about the situation where important figures of the country have urged people to choose sides. He said such decision should be regarded as 'personal rights' only.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 September 2006

"Dr. Prawer Wasee(ประเวศ วะสี) believes that the current political impasse is the only due to the result of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, but also due to the weak society."

He is, of course, right.

A strong society wouldn't have felt the need to turn to a 'mere CEO' to run it in 2001.

In a strong society, there would have been successful business leaders, who were also steeped in political reality and experienced in it (of the Michael Heseltine ilk) who would have been prepared to have the running of their business interests put in a blind trust, while they served at the helm of the country.

And a strong society would have sinews connecting its members (Isaan, North, Agricultural Centre, Industrial Centre, Agricultural South, and Capital) so it wasn't dis-jointed.

But the above quote is, yet again, an example of "saying that a teenage child is not yet ready for puberty". It is true, but doesn't help with the immediate problem, which is what is the best (i.e least bad) outcome that can be worked for in this election.

We can't have a meaningful discussion here, because of 'the elephant in the room', in the form of the Great Unmentionable Event of the not-all-that-distant-future, that is totally taboo.

Best to just wait and see what happens, methinks. G'bye.

I find it a bit odd that Thaksin would be out of the country on his first court date. However I still suspect there will be problems. Thaksin has a signature of not being at or just left places where things go south. I wonder if he will tell the people he is with “see I need to do something drastic, all they do is fight.” :o He can’t do much else there other than watch as caretaker.

Certainly not being is court is not a problem, lawyers can deal with it just fine. Just ask the former EC commissioners if you have any doubts. :D

We can't have a meaningful discussion here, because of 'the elephant in the room', in the form of the Great Unmentionable Event of the not-all-that-distant-future, that is totally taboo.

Martin, I like the expression you've created.

But at the end of the road, well it's the only question. The only one that matters. The only one that allows to "read" the current political mess and power struggle...

We all feel and know that is going to have tremendous effects for the country. Which ones ? In which direction ?

I agree, that 's the real debate.

The PM's woes just keep on mounting.... facing legal challenges on so many fronts already, another one gets added onto the pile:

PRIVATISATION ROW

Court to check on PTT float legality

Thaksin among the defendants

The Supreme Administrative Court agreed yesterday to prosecute a petition by consumer groups against the privatisation of the Petroleum Authority of Thailand (PTT) and ordered three defendants, including caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to submit their explanations within 30 days.

The court also ordered all parties involved to refrain from commenting on the case to avoid interfering with the legal proceedings.

The order followed the filing of a petition by several consumer groups on August 31 that accused Thaksin, caretaker Energy Minister Viset Choopiban and the Cabinet of failing to follow the proper process for privatisation when privatising PTT in 2001. The groups were encouraged to push the case after successfully overturning an earlier privatisation plan for Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat).

Sairoong Thongplon, manager of the Federation of Consumers Organisation of Thailand, cheered the court's decision to prosecute the case.

"We're confident that our evidence, which we have been gathering for four of five months, is sound. We're confident that the government has failed to follow through with the privatisation process," she said.

Sairoong said once the three defendants submit their explanations to the court, the plaintiffs will consider how to strengthen the charges.

Unlike in the Egat case, in which the initial public offering was halted in November ahead of the hearing, the consumer groups did not ask the court to stop any transaction involving PTT.

"However, in the future, if villagers complain about PTT's land expropriation, they could ask for a court order to have the transaction frozen. Or who will be responsible for the possible damage?" she said.

In their petition, the consumer groups asked for the nullification of two laws that supported the PTT privatisation. In support of their case is the argument that members of the committee charged with setting up PTT Plc were illegitimately appointed. Both Manoo Liewphairote and Viset Choopiban held shares in PTT while sitting on the committee.

Moreover, they said, the public hearing process was not properly carried out, which is against the Corporatisation Act. In the last count, the groups argue that PTT, though now a private company, still holds some assets that belong to the entire nation.

A lawyer who asked not to be named said the nullification of the two laws would lead to a share buy-back by PTT.

"The question of the price the shares should be repurchased at is problematic because shareholders could seek extra gains. But it looks certain that PTT will need to set aside a provision for this purpose," the lawyer source said.

Earlier this week, caretaker Finance Minister Thanong Bidaya, Stock Exchange of Thailand chairman Vijit Supinit and SEC secretary-general Thirachai Phuvanart-naranubala warned that if the court ruled against the privatisation, PTT would have to buy back all of the shares it had sold, which would place a heavy burden on public finances.

Brokerage houses said in research notes that the buy-back would have a negative impact on the overall sentiment in the Stock Exchange of Thailand. They also said they expected the court to consider other possible economic effects arising from the case.

It is estimated that PTT would need Bt200 billion to buy back the shares it has sold, though the company raised only Bt28 billion from the initial public offering in 2001. PTT offered IPO shares at Bt35 apiece, but its share price ended yesterday at Bt238.

- The Nation

The serious underpricing, and the reluctance of the major (30% ?) mystery shareholder to step forward and identify himself/herself, other than it being a Thai private-person holding the shares via Singapore and nominees, does rather suggest that yet another major corruption-scandel lies behind all of this.

Very inconvenient timing, given the forthcoming election, for all this to be slowly leaking-out, or even for any extensive news-coverage or speculation. :o

Unless of course the influential party is totally unconnected with Thai politics or the government.

Which somehow seems unlikely. :D

Maybe it is worth thinking about future deals when analysing why Tamesak bought Shin. From Tamesak's perspective Thailand had a huge number of deals they were interested in coming up. Mr.T looked to be about to dominate the politcal landscape for many years. At the time, the Shin deal could be seen as a nice handshake on future business together, and a way for Mr. T to get rid of all those pesky individuals who moaned about his conflict of interests. Obviously Tamesak didnt expect the furore the deal created, but we hear were still wise enough to build in a few safeguards on the contract. However, if Mr. T's party wins the election (likely), and he can personally stay at the top and successfully govern the increasingly divided country (a lot less likely), the business deals could all be back on.

Mr. Sutham believes people will have confidence in the policies of TRT

Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) executive member Sutham Saengpratum (สุธรรม แสงประทุม) believes that people will have more confidence in the TRT policies than the policies of the Democrat Party, following the issuance of village fund policy.

The Democrat has issued a village fund policy, which is aimed at eradicating poverty by granting 300,000 baht to each village. Mr. Sutham said this policy is deemed competitive, and it is also an alternative for the public to choose. However, he noted that it is similar to a policy of the TRT and believes that people will have more confidence in the TRT policy as his party has initially introduced it.

Mr. Sutham spoke about the TRT MPs who have not transferred to other political policies, saying that people still support his party. He said 400 TRT MPs will be introduced to the people within the end of this month. Referring to the party list MPs, he said that it will depend on the consideration of TRT leader Thaksin Shinawatra as there could be slight changes.

This week, the TRT will continue to announce its policies after it had announced the skytrain policy last week. The older policies will also be carried forward and adjusted so that they would become more effective and cover larger areas, and some of those policies include the 30-baht health scheme and the village fund.

As for the movement of the People’s Alliance for Democracy to criticize the TRT, Mr. Sutham is confidence that it will not affect his party’s popularity.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 September 2006

His Majesty signs decree to convene Senate meeting on Friday

His Majesty the King has signed the royal decree to convene a special meeting of the Senate, the Royal Household Bureau announced.

His Majesty signed the decree on Wednesday.

The special session will begin on Friday.

Source: The Nation - 7 September 2006

Thaksin calls Sanan to wish him happy birthday

Thai Rak Thai Party leader Thaksin Sinawatra Thursday gave a phone call to Mahachon Party leader Sanan Kachornprasart to wish him a happy birthday.

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin sent Thai Rak Thai deputy leader and Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop to visit Sanan at his house.

While Suwat was greeting Sanan, Thaksin called in to talk to Sanan.

Those, who visited Sanan on his birthday, included Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and Chat Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa.

While giving a birthday wish to Sanan, Banharn said the Chat Thai, Mahachon and Democrat would remain close allies forever.

Source: The Nation - 7 September 2006

Leader of Royal People Party is not anxious of the threats and insists to solicit votes

Royal People Party leader Sanoh Thienthong (เสนาะ เทียนทอง) is not anxious about the threats against his party. He stated that the party will continue to solicit votes in all areas. He has also introduced his son, Mr. Surachart Thienthong (สุรชาติ เทียนทอง), who is looking to compete in the election at Chatuchak (จตุจักร) constituency.

Mr. Sanoh, Mr. Surachart and Royal People Secretary Prachai Leawpairat (ประชัย เลี่ยวไพรัช) presented a bouquet of flowers to Mahachon Party leader Sanan Khajornprasat (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์) at his residence in the occasion of his birthday. They discussed about political situation prior to the general election. Mr. Sanoh said that he is ready to visit all areas, including Chiang Mai Province, to campaign for his party.

He added that the selection of the Election Commission members by the senators tomorrow must be monitored because many criticisms have been made over their performances.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 September 2006

PM’s Office Minister Suranand says the strength of politics, economics and society will help boost Thailand’s image in the world arena

Prime Minister’s Office Minister Suranand Vejjajiva instructed officials and media members to help make Thailand’s image better known throughout the world by promoting its political, economical and social strengths, especially the Sufficiency Economy philosophy initiated by His Majesty the King.

Speaking in an opening ceremony of a workshop on “Thailand’s Images Promotion in the World Arena”, which was organized by the Public Relations Department’s (PRD) Foreign Office at the Emerald Hotel, Mr. Suranand has urged all parties to collaboratively promote the country’s economy and political stability. Moreover, Thai culture and hospitality, particularly the loyalty of Thai people towards the royal Thai monarchy, can help push Thailand to become a distinguished country in the world.

Regarding the national economy, Mr. Suranand said His Majesty the King’s sufficiency economy philosophy is another strength that should be promoted.

Leaflets attacking Gen. Thammarak spreaded around Defense Ministry

Leaflets criticizing Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayuthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) for considering the military reshuffle in favour of the government were circulated around the Ministry of Defense. The list of the reshuffle has been completed today.

The content inside the leaflets complains about the injustice of the military reshuffle. It also claims that this reshuffle will bring negative consequences to the upcoming election because the list has been made during the administration of the current interim government. The leaflet accuses that the list has been done in favour of a political party.

The leaflets also release the words from an interview with former Election Commission Secretary-General Vijit Yusubhap (วิจิตร อยู่สุภาพ), former Election Commissioner Kothom Areeya (โคทม อารียา), and Lawyers Council President Udom dej Krairit (เดชอุดม ไกรฤทธิ์).

According to this interview, they all stated that any reshuffle must be approved by the Election Commission as referred to Article 215(2) of the Constitution.

TRT wants parties to vow fair play in poll

The Thai Rak Thai Party is keen on getting all political parties to pledge a free and fair election on the creation of a neutral body to amend the Constitution. :o

"It is now possible that all major parties will enter into a ratification endorsing a transparent electoral process and political reform," party deputy leader Bhokin Bhalakula said yesterday. :D

Bhokin said he received a positive response to the idea at a seminar organised by King Prajadhipok's Institute that was also attended by leaders of other major parties. The ruling party's proposed agreement on conduct for the upcoming election bars buying of votes or malicious attacks against rival candidates, Bhokin said.

The constitutional amendments would be completed in a year, paving the way for an improved system of checks and balances and less stringent requirements for censuring the prime minister, he said.

He said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had a agreed to a tentative blueprint for political reforms.

"Political parties should join hands and try to restore the public's confidence in politics," he said.

Political leaders have reached a verbal agreement on the main issues in the political reforms although they still have to work out the details for a written agreement, he said.

The ruling party would heed proposals from other parties on the reforms, he said.

Democrat Party spokesman Ong-art Klampaiboon said Bhokin was trying to play up the Thai Rak Thai as spearheading political reforms.

All political parties are already committed to implement the reforms, so it was unnecessary to sign a ratification document, Ong-art said.

In another development, Thai Rak Thai Party leader Thaksin Shinwatra said he had not met his deputy Somkid Jatusripitak after reports surfaced that he would not run as a party-list candidate and hence would not comment the matter.

Thaksin also said he would unveil his party's electoral candidates after the new Election Commission assumes office.

The Senate is expected to vote on the appointment of five election commissioners today.

- The Nation

-----------------------

Channel 11 Newsline reported that several TRT Party MP's refused to sign an accord promising not to participate in vote-buying.

:D

Edited by sriracha john

The report of military reshuffle has already been sent to PM

Defense Ministry Permanent Secretary Sirichai Tanyasiri (สิริชัย ธัญญสิริ) has presented the military reshuffle report to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Permanent Secretary said that Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) yesterday signed his name to approve the reshuffle so it could be submitted to the premier for consideration. Gen. Sirichai has insisted that all processes of the reshuffle follows the regulations during the interim government, and it abides by the resolution of the Cabinet meeting. According to his study, he said that the military reshuffle can be done without the approval from the Election Commission (EC).

Following the four military members’ request on the fairness of the reshuffle to the Privy Councilor and Statesman, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), Gen. Sirichai said that the result of the investigation will be reported next week. However, he said that the four military members are still working under the Defense Ministry.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 September 2006