Is Anybody Growing Pine Trees on a Commercial Scale in Thailand

DavoTheGun

I would like to know if it is possible to grow pine trees in Issan on a commercial basis, we have a few Rhai which we would likew to do something with, it currently has Eucalyptus Stumps on it, typical remains of Issan Farming!

If possible need to find seedlings, or can I import from Aus?

Interesting comments above !!

There seem to be a lot of pine grown down south and my Uncle in Law has a wood store which sells pine.

I think there must be some variety that flourish here and the wood is used for construction work ie the classic Thai scaffolding :)

Don't discount the idea OP, little more research required.

Ther are a number of very big Pine Trees in our Village Temple, were planted about 20 Years ago I believe, Pine Forests in abundance in Queensland (All Over) also a number scattered around all areas of Thailand.

A Guy makes the Thai Huts close to us, not cheap but he uses Pine extensively in the Construction, he get the Timber from Laos, So I am thinking if can get seedlings or Cones will try and grow some and see what happens, as they are quick growing it will not be long before can see results.

As they say, "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" What do you think Guys?

If its issan it must involve a girl.....lol.

When will these guys learn ? Just marry and have a nice marriage. Making money from non-sense is just non-sense.

This is another example of worthless land up-country that a farang will undoubtedly lose money on.

• Like 1

Ther are a number of very big Pine Trees in our Village Temple, were planted about 20 Years ago I believe, Pine Forests in abundance in Queensland (All Over) also a number scattered around all areas of Thailand.

A Guy makes the Thai Huts close to us, not cheap but he uses Pine extensively in the Construction, he get the Timber from Laos, So I am thinking if can get seedlings or Cones will try and grow some and see what happens, as they are quick growing it will not be long before can see results.

As they say, "Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" What do you think Guys?

Yeah, Highlands maybe.

I've been all over Thailand, and the only time I ever saw a pine tree was on a mountain, near the Laotian border. They were scraggly runts, about 15 feet tall. Not even worth pulpwood, which (I think) is what the eucalyptus is used for?

I'm in Georgia/N. Florida these days.....NOTHING BUT pines everywhere you look. They grow like weeds here.

If pine trees could grow well there, the country would be covered in them like it is here.

Probably better off researching teak or mahogany.

Oh yeah, my Dad was a timber contractor in Florida. I grew up looking at trees and estimating the board-feet one could get out of a pine or cypress tree.

Dad bought a lot of timber out of Honduras, which is about the same latitude as Thailand, and it was mostly mahogany.

EDIT: Just read some of the other posts above, and many folks will mistake a cedar tree for a pine tree. There's lots of types of pines...Dad grouped them according to market value, as in "slash pine, swamp pine & yellow pine".

Yellow pine grows on a hill & is the best for lumber. Slash & swamp aren't worth a hoot.

ALL pine needs to be pressure treated, which is a process where the cut, green boards are put into a vacuum chamber & most of the sap is withdrawn, and then chemicals are introduced to replace the sap, which prevents termites from eating it.....GOOD LUCK finding that in Thailand!

Teak (being a hardwood) is not as tasty a treat to termites as a softwood like pine, and grows quite well in LOS.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 2

Realist are often seen as NEGATIVE.............hahaha.

Read what jaywalker has posted he seems to know his stuff. And he didnt even cover if it would be commercially viable to do it on such a small scale.

If issarn family land were valuable they wouldnt be marrying farangs at such a high rate.

First rule of doing buznit in thailand-if you need help on thaivisa you are way out of your league. Dont do it.

Edited by choochoo

When will these guys learn ? Just marry and have a nice marriage. Making money from non-sense is just non-sense.

This is another example of worthless land up-country that a farang will undoubtedly lose money on.

I hate when guys like you have nothing to add except BS.

The guy asked a legitimate question. I gave him a legitimate answer.

You mentioned nonsense twice, and then you post nonsense. crazy.gif

• Like 1

I hate when guys like you have nothing to add except BS.

The guy asked a legitimate question. I gave him a legitimate answer.

You mentioned nonsense twice, and then you post nonsense. crazy.gif

so are you saying he might have a shot at success?

you need to hit these guys over the head with a pine tree before they will listen.

many rais of pine where I live, northern Chiang Rai, all specially planted about 20 years ago. most of it is about 50 feet tall. Lots of them falling over these days.

Like I said......Highlands. Only been to Chiang Mai once for a few days so, yeah, but that's why the guy asked the question.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Why not let the Euca stumps coppice, prune next year to the strongest straightest shoot and 4 years after harvest for chips?

I have had two timber plantations, one pine, in Western Australia.

The faster pine grows the lower the density and quality of the millable wood (which is where the money is made).

Edited by Evilbaz

Don't know about you guys, but I'd google for answers first before posting in on TV,

there's a lot of info out there, including TV's previous topics and posts, this way

we can save ourselves the negative comments that sometime seems to used for

no purposes at all....

• Like 1

New Zealand has a timber industry center around pine, Radiata mostly. Much exported to China, S Korea and Japan for packaging. Good quality construction grade goes to timber frame houses. As poster commented, you can treat pine easily and will last a life time. Thailand used to have abundant teak but have since logged out and replaced with eucalyptus. There is a market for pine in Thailand for furniture and packaging. Go for it.

• Like 1

I can't believe this thread. The wood is harvested, yes, but basically pines are cultivated for the resin in Thailand. This is my third posting stating this. I don't know why my other posts were deleted. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761345-pinus-tree/

Forget P. radiata, the species of pine that grow in Thailand naturally are

Pinus kesiya, altitude 1000 -1700 metres. Sandy soil. Needles in bunches of three Yellow pine in Thai สนสีเหลือง yellow-red-brown bark

Pinus merkusii altitude below 1000 metres. Needles in bunches of two. Black pine in Thai สนสีดำ dark grey - black bark.

Resin.

• Like 2

Interesting comments above !!

There seem to be a lot of pine grown down south and my Uncle in Law has a wood store which sells pine.

I think there must be some variety that flourish here and the wood is used for construction work ie the classic Thai scaffolding smile.png

Don't discount the idea OP, little more research required.

Correct. The petrol station at the top of our road has some very tall pine trees albeit rather unattractive. We are situated 12 kms south of Prakhon Chai. A chicken farm a couple of kms out of P. Chai on the same road has just cut a load of them down ( don't know what they did with the timber but I can find out because they are friends of ours ). I'd estimate the trees to be 15 to 20 metres tall.

About three months ago Do Home in Udon Thani fenced off a portion of their car park and opened a nursery it started mainly with local product and a good selection of Palms of which I bought quite a few about one one month ago they introduced Pines Dwarf , Pencil and Norfolk they look like fairly good trees to me so maybe they do grow ok in this climate

Pine tree in Thailand? I don't thing the geography nor the climate will support

is contusive to pine growing and they need cool to cold weather to be able to\

flourish...

Please do not tell the tree farmers this in the usa state of Georgia where a huge amount of pine trees are successfully raised in very hot weather. Dont type about something you lack knowledge of.

• Like 1