Pinus Tree

deepcell

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows and have some advices about pinus tree plantations in thailand, where is the most suitable region to grow pinus tree?

The only information I found was in the Land Development Department (ldd.go.th/ldd_en/googlesearch.aspx?lddsearch=pinus) not helpful, just general info.

Thai name I believe is Mai dton son = Pinie (Pinus kesiya and Pinus merkusi)

Does anyone have experience with the climate?

My wife would like to plant a few around the house for shading, and if grows well than maybe plant a bit more for resin and timber.

Thanks for any idea.

wai.gif

Was unsure about those trees at Ban Phe you name as Tohn Sohn, thanks - is it another name for son talay

The park at Ban Phe is named Casuarina Pine Gardens, a clever mix!

Casuarina equisetifolia is a good choice if you live by the seaside as it is salt and drought tolerant and grows in sand. It is effective as a windbreak as well as in controlling soil erosion. It is considered an invasive species in Florida but in Thailand I did not notice any such problem in places where majestic casuarina trees are growing, such as at Suan Son Beach in Hua Hin, the Royal Thai Air Force's Wing 5 base in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Burapha University in Chon Buri, Ban Phe and Laem Mae Phim in Rayong, and Rawai Beach in Phuket.

We are further down that coast; the coastal tree plantings here tend to be casuarina equisetifolia (also known as ironwood or horsetail casuarina, son talay in Thai) being grown successfully on previously unusable land with brackish water.

Their planting is encouraged by the Khung Krabaen Royal Study and Development Centre at Laem Sadet - they have an arboretum with varieties of coast-suitable trees.

Casuarina equisetifolia is a tall tree, growing up to 30-40m. Known simply as casuarina, it is moderately fast-growing but although its foliage makes it a beautiful ornamental tree, it is planted extensively along coastal areas for other reasons too.
An evergreen tree, it is salt and drought resistant; it has a massive trunk and strong, hard wood, thus it makes a formidable windbreak; and it has an extensive network of roots that is very effective as a sand-dune stabiliser and for preventing coastal erosion. Casuarina wood is heavy and hard, and used to make tool handles and as posts, poles and pilings.

Examples of commercial plantings - first a reclaimed swamp area in Chanthaburi, second how it will look years later. Good use of otherwise unproductive land.

tumblr_myr3i8h7Xc1r8w5s5o4_500.jpg

tumblr_myr3i8h7Xc1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mythkrRstD1r8w5s5o5_250.jpg

Casuarinas line the road at Laem Sadet

If you ever go to Chanthaburi, this area is a 'must' if you're interested in environment etc - huge area including an estuary 3.5 x 2.5km that has extensive bird life and mangroves (kayaking available Oct-April), a 1.6km raised boardwalk through mangroves, a marine education centre and sea farming demonstration unit, a small farm-zoo (for kids - mainly!), aquarium, arboretum, demonstration fish/prawn farm, demonstration gardens showing species that will grow here - apples and passionfruit even. And it is all free entry.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 2

Perhaps Pinus patula or Mexican pine may be suitable ( native to Mexico but i think mountain areas). They have a longer needle and have a more pendulous habit than Pinus radiata if you are familiar with that pine.

Have a look at this site for more info on pinus spp in the tropics :

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5388e/x5388e03.htm

Thanks for your reply, I heard about Pinus Patula, but the problem is, it only grows in high ground (starting at 1700masl) and I'm in central thailand. The Link has very nice information about Pinus Merkusii and Pinus Kasyia in Thailand. Thanks for the reference.

Dear Sir,

The Tohn Sohn (Pinelike Tree) is indeed the closest thing we have in Thailand to a "Pine" (Pinus Radiatus).

These tree will grow anywhere in Thailand and are probably one of the hardiest trees I have ever encountered.

If you would take a trip down to Bahn-Phe (the place where people embark on the ferries to Koh Samed (Rayong Province) - then you would be surprised to see these beautiful pines growing right on the beaches of Rayong, virtually up to the high-water mark ! !

As it happens, my wife & I have, a.o., 30 Rai of these trees growing on our farm in Kabin Buri - so I can attest to their incredible strong properties. We grow these trees for the purpose of selling the timber, which is widely used in the manufacture of furniture.

I have no idea where you live, i Thailand, but I can guarantee you that these trees will grow there, no problem !

Apart from their commercial value; I love the looks of these trees, because they certainly add some kind of "European Ambiance" wherever they are found.

Seedlings can usually be purchased (very cheap) at any nursery - or you will be able to order them from these places.

When planting them out; make sure you give each tree a 5 meter space; once they grow, they will nicely fill-out such a radius !

Have fun & enjoy !

Cheers

@Jaapfries, thank you for your reply, your information was very useful to me, since my plan is to plant in the Lad Yao area, our place is 60masl to 90masl, the most surrounded area are used to plant rice (clay soil). Also a lot of native bamboo growing everywhere and a few rubber plantations.

I'm surprised that the trees are grouwing almost in the water, great to know this valuable information, when I have some time I will explore more this region.

What is the elevation in the area of the plantation? How much water (mm) per year you get in the plantation and average temperature in the area? I thought if the wife's family and I of course could tap the resin thing, collect, store and sell to market (without the industry proccess - destilation - only raw material) would be a nice plus.

The first plan is to create a natural fence with the trees around 2 rais of the house property, and if it grows nice, then setup a 20 rai with plantation for the purpose of make some profit and also inter-crop with something else.

Thanks again. thumbsup.gif

Pinus kesiya, altitude 1000 -1700 metres. Sandy soil. Needles in bunches of three Yellow pine in Thai สนสีเหลือง yellow-red-brown bark

Pinus merkusii altitude below 1000 metres. Needles in bunches of two. Black pine in Thai สนสีดำ dark grey - black bark

Both are cultivated for their resin, merkusii gives more.

• Like 1

@cooked thanks for the concise info about pinus in Thailand. Are there any established market for resin or turpentine (terebenthine) in the country? My researches returns nothing but useless information about the subject in Asia market, but in Europe and Americas market it is quite easy to find info about. Thanks for your time. wai.gif

Was unsure about those trees at Ban Phe you name as Tohn Sohn, thanks - is it another name for son talay

The park at Ban Phe is named Casuarina Pine Gardens, a clever mix!

Casuarina equisetifolia is a good choice if you live by the seaside as it is salt and drought tolerant and grows in sand. It is effective as a windbreak as well as in controlling soil erosion. It is considered an invasive species in Florida but in Thailand I did not notice any such problem in places where majestic casuarina trees are growing, such as at Suan Son Beach in Hua Hin, the Royal Thai Air Force's Wing 5 base in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Burapha University in Chon Buri, Ban Phe and Laem Mae Phim in Rayong, and Rawai Beach in Phuket.

We are further down that coast; the coastal tree plantings here tend to be casuarina equisetifolia (also known as ironwood or horsetail casuarina, son talay in Thai) being grown successfully on previously unusable land with brackish water.

Their planting is encouraged by the Khung Krabaen Royal Study and Development Centre at Laem Sadet - they have an arboretum with varieties of coast-suitable trees.

Casuarina equisetifolia is a tall tree, growing up to 30-40m. Known simply as casuarina, it is moderately fast-growing but although its foliage makes it a beautiful ornamental tree, it is planted extensively along coastal areas for other reasons too.
An evergreen tree, it is salt and drought resistant; it has a massive trunk and strong, hard wood, thus it makes a formidable windbreak; and it has an extensive network of roots that is very effective as a sand-dune stabiliser and for preventing coastal erosion. Casuarina wood is heavy and hard, and used to make tool handles and as posts, poles and pilings.

Examples of commercial plantings - first a reclaimed swamp area in Chanthaburi, second how it will look years later. Good use of otherwise unproductive land.

tumblr_myr3i8h7Xc1r8w5s5o4_500.jpg

tumblr_myr3i8h7Xc1r8w5s5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mythkrRstD1r8w5s5o5_250.jpg

Casuarinas line the road at Laem Sadet

If you ever go to Chanthaburi, this area is a 'must' if you're interested in environment etc - huge area including an estuary 3.5 x 2.5km that has extensive bird life and mangroves (kayaking available Oct-April), a 1.6km raised boardwalk through mangroves, a marine education centre and sea farming demonstration unit, a small farm-zoo (for kids - mainly!), aquarium, arboretum, demonstration fish/prawn farm, demonstration gardens showing species that will grow here - apples and passionfruit even. And it is all free entry.

That's the name some Khon Thai call it.. well I like the photos, really nice.. the park is nice, if you do not mind give the address, when have time I will look around.. perhaps they produce the oil (terebenthine), buy resin from small farmers? Thanks.