Tourists may be required to pay entrance fee for visiting Koh Tao

Lite Beer

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a good idea.

Not every country can afford the security and luxury of other places.

Tourist come to Koh Tao becuase its cheap.

If foreigners want more security they should pay for something rather then complain something is not good all the time.

Obviously you do not think that the host country, in this case Thailand has a resposibility to take care of the people that visit the country? Do thais pay for security when they travel to another country?

Maybe the good people of Koh Tao should not be so kei neow if they want tourists to visit their Island. After all there are other Islands and indeed other countries that would be more welcoming to tourists.

But I get you're piont, which is why should Thais care what happens to tourists in Thailand?

Yes exactly.

If I was in your country and I would the host country care about what happened to me?

No they just want me to spend my money.

So why should my thai people pay money for stupid tourists.

Because unlike the west Thailands economy needs the stupid farang money. Host countries in the west are law based countries who do care about everybody within their borders, unlike Thais we have a high regard for the law and for fairness.

• Like 2

If foreigners want more security they should pay for something rather then complain something is not good all the time.

Obviously you do not think that the host country, in this case Thailand has a resposibility to take care of the people that visit the country? Do thais pay for security when they travel to another country?

Maybe the good people of Koh Tao should not be so kei neow if they want tourists to visit their Island. After all there are other Islands and indeed other countries that would be more welcoming to tourists.

But I get you're piont, which is why should Thais care what happens to tourists in Thailand?

Yes exactly.

If I was in your country and I would the host country care about what happened to me?

You could apply for the job as the next TAT boss, you got all the credeantials needed.

• Like 2

Why heck yea...have to cover the expense of exacting false testimonies to convict innocent people for the tourist who are killed there...

And why you are at it...collect a double fee when tourist try to flee the island...

Dig potholes in all the roads and deposit rubbish everywhere then Koh Tao can be declared a National Park just like Koh Samet. They can then charge all foreign tourists 200 baht each just as they do on Koh Samet.........whistling.gif

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

Yes exactly.

At least in other countries the police would do their work and catch the killers, they would not try to blame it on every Farang, or migrant worker or say a Thai person could not do such a thing. They would not try to pay someone money to blame others that had nothing to do with the crime.

And yes I would say that in other countries where tourism is a major part of that countries economy, they would care more about it than the authorities on Koh Tao or in Thailand as a whole. At least you would not be charged double to visit museums etc as Farangs have to here in Thailand.

It depends how much? You'd think B200 would be ok though if it was over B500+ then its getting on the ridiculous side of things IMO.

I thought that is what taxes are for. To pay for the police to protect people. Only in Thailand would you be expected to pay extra for services that are already paid for.

Yes.

Because, just on the most selfish of grounds, it pays. Tourism accounts for somewhere between 10% and 15% of GDP (that's including indirect benefits) so the outrageously poor handling of this by the authorities at every level is incredibly stupid and incredibly self-defeating. If, instead of having a useless police force, a sexist General mouthing off in public and one absurdly stupid idea after another trotted out in public, you invest a little in having a vaguely competent police force who prevent young people getting raped and murdered, you get to make lots of money from young people coming to your country. It's not hard to work out.

Solution: advise everyone NOT to go to Koh Tao. Every country's Department of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent) has a Country Advisory page to advise about the safety of a particular place, so people can be warned where not to go. So foreign governments can be pro-active about this too. Blanket negative foreign media coverage will most certainly send a strong message to the Thai Regime (I can't call it a government yet), and the TAT in particular. When tourist numbers from developed countries keep dropping it hits the Thais where it hurts the most, their pockets. Soon Thailand will be written off as a tourist destination to be taken over by more secure and better value places. Maybe the penny will finally drop, but by then it will be far too late, the industry will have collapsed and they only have themselves (the Thai) to blame. They can't pin THIS one on a farang or migrant worker this time.

You could apply for the job as the next TAT boss, you got all the credeantials needed.

I don't think TAT employs middle aged, fat balding, farangs, posing as little girls, irrespective of how much they kiss Thailand's arse wink.png

on the other hand considering their past record, maybe they do

• Like 2

Please ignore this troll - look at the avatar; gangthai is obviously a 12 year old Thai girl venturing into the nasty grown-up world of public opinion and free speech - not her natural environment. Be gentle she is obviously a victim of brain-washing... Sorry, no pictures of kitties here.

more disturbing may be that "gangthai" may in fact be a middle aged, fat, bald white dude posing as a 12 year Thai girl...rolleyes.gif

attachicon.giflucas.JPG

Nah - the mentality gives it away. And besides - the avatar says it all really, the stupid pout and two finger salute... Even a 40 yo wouldn't stoop that low... tongue.png

You can take some random photo of a Thai girl from Facebook and put it as your profile.

That person is clearly a male farang trolling the forum and trying rile up the other farang reading the thread. Appears to be working

• Like 1

Yes exactly.

There are tens of thousands of Thai's in my home country, the citizens pay tax to protect not only themselves but visitors to the country. When you have grown up and visited a few countries you will realise that the system should protect everyone, not just the connected.

Anyway there's no point in me trying to argue with a narrow mind.

• Like 2

you must be an expat, seen everything done everything dont need to go anywhere so this does not effect you

otherwise you would not be saying tourist should pay

protection should be free as in UK its the law that protects and the fear of getting in to trouble.

if there was a lot less corruption long ago then Thailand would already be a safer place

so dont ask tourist to pay more look to the Thai goverment it there responsibility to ensure tourist safety

Can someone please have a word with these people, honestly,,,

Investing the money themselves will bring in more tourists as the safety of the island will be improved, therefore it will pay for itself. It makes absolutely no sense at all to ask the tourists themselves to pay for their own protection when this is something that the island should be doing anyway.

Unless of course it's just another Thai scam aimed at parting tourists with there hard earned cash.

In every country you pay big taxes but in thailand you don't.

Tourists benefit by not pay to much expense for good and services on the island and in thailand.

So if tourists want more protection they should pay.

Its simple.

Thais don't need the protection.

Like Thai people applying for Visa to Europe, Thailand should force tourist to purchase Insurance when visiting Thailand.

So if the tourist is hurt, sick, murder, etc; whatever, they can claim from their insurer, NOT burden the poor Thai tax payers.

yes and let them pay a fee at the airport for a funeral in case they get murderd, no refund!!!

Yes exactly.

I was just wondering how much Daddy paid for a first class second rate education...

Mentality of a 12 year old, making a fool of herself. No doubt then a bona-fida example of the latest generation of Thai spoiled brats, most likely a uni student from a wealthy family.

Here to defend the indefensible... whistling.gif

You missed a trick gang, you can add a 'signature' to claim "Typed on my iPhone6" - the ultimate goal in your generations quest for enlightenment.

• Like 1

Before we heard about the electronic tags, now about entrance fee to an island.

I said it before and I will say it again.

Are these people serious coming up with suggestions like that?

Had the same happen to me and my buddy in China 2 months back. Almost every beach we went to wanted money to enter, to change clothes, to sit under an umbrella.

A few cents would have been OK, but I'm talking $20 to enter a beach reserve, $10 for an umbrella.

I soon learned to carry my passport as over 65s are free! (including farangs) My buddy had to pay up.

They have farang's in China ?, I though that species was native to Thailand only ?

probably whatever 'ALIEN' is in Chinese

How about a room tax? Easier to collect as no-one (farang) is likely to sleep on the beach.

There is one already.

Problem is that the tax money goes to the central government and it gives back to Koh Tao according to official population of 1,382

welcome to koh tao where you have to pay to be protected from the maffia locals who might murder you if youre sexy in a bikini and dont put out to their sexual wants. and just to speed the coronors report up we will give you an ankle tag so you can be processed quicker if they do kill you.........

get that in a sales brocure, im waiting to see it.

Well people have to pay to enter Disney land so why not Thailand smile.png

I didn't realize paying to visit to Disneyland entitled you to a complementary rape and your head staved in with a hoe by Donald Duck

Edited by Soutpeel

Amazing Thailand pay a fee to get onto Koh Tao for the chance to go home in a body bag !!! Two tourists were brutally murdered and this is the type of crap they are discussing " Entrance Fees " I find the whole attitude of all the officials involved disgusting I will never set foot on the island again. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims who's lives were destroyed by killers unknown.

• Like 1