Koh Tao murders: Myanmar worker confesses killing British tourists

webfact

I cannot believe how many armchair detectives have worked so hard to disregard any "evidence" sic that the police may or may not gathered, I swear some people on TV would disbelieve their own name, OK the BiB are not known for their brilliance in deduction but the torrent of abuse from some of these posters is just beyond the pale, insulting the whole Thai Nation's IQ is just not acceptable IMHO, perhaps some people have an axe to grind but they really need to remember they are guests, albeit paying guests in the country which they have chosen to live in as expats so they should remember that they should show some respect for the nation, Not all police are corrupt & or stupid. I have no doubt that I will be vilified for these comments by those whose intelligence is as suspect as the ones they are insulting, there is an old adage that you don't insult the host. If you think that the country is so stupid and the police are universally corrupt why do you stay, is it to exploit those very people! Go back to being Hercule Poirot and solving crimes in your dreams and stop writing slanderous rubbish on TV.for example "this was a crime of anger and fury" was the commenter there to know this, Murder by its very nature is usually a crime of anger and fury but people who have made statements like this have absolutely no evidence to base this statement on, only from police statements and "news"paper reports so they seem to be second guessing the police, unless of course they were witnesses to the event, then they should give the police a statement to assist them in their inquiries, Speculation all of it, mostly second or third hand

exactly what evidence this they ever collect? Testing the entire island for DNA. waiting for someone to "confess"?? Thai police did jack %%%%. oh wait, this guy smokes the same cigarettes? YES! we have our man!

Do you know it took the Australian police eight years to catch the abductor and murderer of a child? and that happens in a broad day light and in mainlain Australia heavy traffic. This case happened at night time in an Island involving foreigners. Do you expect the case to be solved within a week?

Hello again Dieselnoi,

What's with the anti-Australian sentiment?

Yes it did take a long time for police to find Daniel Morcombe's killer but mainland Australia is a little bit bigger than Koh Tao. I can also tell you that the forensic squad didn't allow local bar managers to walk all over the crime scene and the police didn't post photos of the scene on Facebook when they arrived.

Anyhow, I'll help you out. Here's a better example because it happened on an Australian island with just over 2000 inhabitants. Took four years to get a conviction and it's still controversial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janelle_Patton

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is complete bullshit. The UK and Myanmar embassies should get involved right away. That island is infested by mafia and corrupt police. Don't believe this for a minute. The people in the bar that night know what happened. And they aren't talking because those in high places are implicated. Just disgusting.

Regardless of who gets involved, I get the impression from you that no-one's going to talk anyway.

Wrong. When the corrupt and entitled families down there see that there are bigger fish in the pond (Army, UK, Burma) who they can't intimidate, then things will change.

This is complete bullshit. The UK and Myanmar embassies should get involved right away. That island is infested by mafia and corrupt police. Don't believe this for a minute. The people in the bar that night know what happened. And they aren't talking because those in high places are implicated. Just disgusting.

Regardless of who gets involved, I get the impression from you that no-one's going to talk anyway.

Wrong. When the corrupt and entitled families down there see that there are bigger fish in the pond (Army, UK, Burma) who they can't intimidate, then things will change.

Wrong. When the corrupt and entitled families down come to the reality that there are bigger fish in the pond (Army, UK, Burma) who can't be intimidated, then things will change.

I cannot believe how many armchair detectives have worked so hard to disregard any "evidence" sic that the police may or may not gathered, I swear some people on TV would disbelieve their own name, OK the BiB are not known for their brilliance in deduction but the torrent of abuse from some of these posters is just beyond the pale, insulting the whole Thai Nation's IQ is just not acceptable IMHO, perhaps some people have an axe to grind but they really need to remember they are guests, albeit paying guests in the country which they have chosen to live in as expats so they should remember that they should show some respect for the nation, Not all police are corrupt & or stupid. I have no doubt that I will be vilified for these comments by those whose intelligence is as suspect as the ones they are insulting, there is an old adage that you don't insult the host. If you think that the country is so stupid and the police are universally corrupt why do you stay, is it to exploit those very people! Go back to being Hercule Poirot and solving crimes in your dreams and stop writing slanderous rubbish on TV.for example "this was a crime of anger and fury" was the commenter there to know this, Murder by its very nature is usually a crime of anger and fury but people who have made statements like this have absolutely no evidence to base this statement on, only from police statements and "news"paper reports so they seem to be second guessing the police, unless of course they were witnesses to the event, then they should give the police a statement to assist them in their inquiries, Speculation all of it, mostly second or third hand

exactly what evidence this they ever collect? Testing the entire island for DNA. waiting for someone to "confess"?? Thai police did jack %%%%. oh wait, this guy smokes the same cigarettes? YES! we have our man!

Do you know it took the Australian police eight years to catch the abductor and murderer of a child? and that happens in a broad day light and in mainlain Australia heavy traffic. This case happened at night time in an Island involving foreigners. Do you expect the case to be solved within a week?

Hello again Dieselnoi,

What's with the anti-Australian sentiment?

Yes it did take a long time for police to find Daniel Morcombe's killer but mainland Australia is a little bit bigger than Koh Tao. I can also tell you that the forensic squad didn't allow local bar managers to walk all over the crime scene and the police didn't post photos of the scene on Facebook when they arrived.

Anyhow, I'll help you out. Here's a better example because it happened on an Australian island with just over 2000 inhabitants. Took four years to get a conviction and it's still controversial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janelle_Patton

Finally, I hope they are the real culprits ? Only God knows......

Only God knows? Don't think so....let's see if the DNA matches and is confirmed by a lab outside Thailand.

Don't mean to sound critical but we do have science (God given if you wish to believe) but science can determine so it is not left to the supernatural. Sorry, I'm a little tender on the God stuff.

how did they make them confess? beating? torture? e-shock? threat of family?

Money has been known to speak loudly. Maybe they offered him 3 million baht and out (the back door of the prison) in 5 years. For a migrant worker who makes Bt.300/day if employed, that's pretty tempting.

Wether these are the real killers ir not, the fact that almost everybody is sceptical jut goes to show how little credibility te thai police has. If foreigners don't trust the police, the mistrust among local Thais are even greater. Reforming the police is the real test for the thai reforms. They need a total shakeup of the police.

Yes, they need to start paying cops more than 6000thb per month for starters... How could any honest man live on 6k a month without taking some bribes?

The problem is that Police dont have set roles. Ive seen them guarding carparks, and guarding important shops etc.

I have yet to see a Police person on a motorbike or in a car pull someone over. Its always at roadblocks where lack of movement and access to the TV soapies is easy for them.

Apart from that, some loiter around cafes and shopping malls.... As far as Police work goes, I havent really noticed much from them... and its always a laugh to see them at the traffic lights surrounded by riders with no helmets... and they still do nadda!

And they get paid 6000 THB for being glorified parking attendants ??? ~sic~

Mininum wage is 9000 these days..they'd be on a little more I'd think around 15,000

They have set roles to patrol all the business's with the Red box out the front and collect the cash..

Then there is the other business' without red box where they have to go and eat and drink for free and collect the cash in a more personal way....

Happens, in Samui, Koh Tao, Phuket bkk etc etc..

They junta claim they never knew,

well now you do, going to take proper action i hope..

Thai Police find a suspect who confesses and you still don't believe it.

I know a thai person could not do these crimes.

So the animal who raped a 13 year old girl on a train and threw her out of the window was Burmese ? strange, i thought even the police said he was Thai.

Why did he decide to confess?

Could be the real murderer or the police who pay him to confess. They could give him 10 or 20 years to calm everyone then release him in 2 years when everybody forget the story.

I don't see how such animal could decide to confess except for money, do you think this guy could feel remorse?

If any of you really cared about those two poor kids you wouldn't still be in Thailand. Like me you would leave in protest, remember your money keeps the wheels oiled and those responsible for this atrocity in a job. No doubt you'll be just as outraged when the next murder happens and no doubt all you'll ever do is talk about how bad things have become and yet do nothing but sit on a bar stool and complain. Ultimately your money provides the fuel; why not show the families your true feelings of disgust and leave - frankly depriving the Thais of your money is the least you can do and if enough of you did it then it would show those poor families just how angry you are that they lost their children.

You can thank your lucky stars it wasn't your child but it could be next time. It really is time to pack your bags and find another country that doesn't treat every foreigner like a piece of meat to be used, abused, murdered or simply scammed.

Can you fund this move for me and my Thai Family?

if u are so upset why are u wasting ur time on this thread instead of contacting UK news, authorities , tourist?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Finally, I hope they are the real culprits ? Only God knows......

700,000 for a poor migrant is a lot of money.

I hope British authority examine the evidence and decide if this guy really do the crime. for my part I will never go to Koh Tao to spend any of money as being angry with the who situation

I just don't think a 21 year old could carry out such a brutal attack. I dont believe for a second Hannah and David were doing anything. His dna was not found on her. Also this attack seemed to have been planned, as the hoe must have been taken to the beach. But mostly what about the guy who is wearing Davids shorts.

I cant imagine age has got much to do with it, more mentality - why don't you believe Hannah and David were??. The hoes are kept along the beach front. Who said someone was wearing Davids shorts - believable? - not really.

the thai always wash the tools and put them away at the end of the day. They are expensive and do not last long if they don't. I dont believe the hoe was left lying onthe beach overnight. Someone brought it there with s plan or ran to get it. Maybe this is one ofthe guys but there is more to come.

i for one will NEVER now be totally convinced by anything resulting from this investigation.....EVEN IF THE DNA rests support the police's claims. DNA is not the be-all and end-all and tests can be bungled and interpretations can be inaccurate.

In my view they have lost all credibility......if they want a credible result they need an independent investigation by a foreign country.

For heavens sake, you people are the saddest most miserable people I have ever come across. What meaningless, boring and sad lives you must lead. The police have got someone, they werent Thai, get used to it.

Right... Well, we the sad miserable and often drunk expats know all too well how the game is played here.

Does anyone know what happened to Sean McAnna ,. was it his body they found floating off Koh Samet?

That`s a very good question! I have been looking about what happend to him after he left Koh Tao.

He was always seen wearing a black\grey t-shirt and shorts. He said he was going to leave to another Island on a boat where no one knew him. And from there make his way to the airport.

He (Sean) told to the journalists that he was being approached on by 3 asian men who knew that Sean knew David (the victim). They asked him some questions and he answerd, he was also drunk when he answerd these questions, he said. The 3 asian men then told him that they knew he killed them (Hannah and David) and that he had 2 peoples death`s in his hands.

The video if the interview is here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T-crgOK3QOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

News about the dead tourist outside Koh Samet: 29/ Sep/ 2014

Body of Male Foreigner Found off the Coast of Koh Samet Island

The body of an unidentified "foreigner" was reportedly found off the coast of Koh Samet island on Sunday. According to Khaosod English, "police described the deceased as a male 170-cm-tall Caucasian wearing a black T-shirt and short black pants at the time of his death. Police say they found a wound caused by a blunt object on the back of his head and 'numerous' bruises on his body, suggesting that he was murdered before being dumped into the sea. The incident is under investigation."

Why don't they wait for the DNA results first, but rush to make a statement again.

So many times they have been proved wrong in the past.

Why should I believe them now?

they know what the dna tests are going to say already.....they be smart these people

If this does not scream "Frame!" and "Patsy", I don't know. Dunno how many bones they have broken in that guy to make him sign this crap, but this is B S !

If anyone here has seen the uncensored crime scene photos (I unfortunately did), he/she knows that this was a hate crime.

If a rape is the plan, a culprit would knock the guy out and the girl, but not destroy their skulls completely and beyond recognition (as with poor Hannah).

If rape is the intitial motive, a rapist would not bash the victim's head into a mush (nothing there reminded of a person anymore, letting alone a girl), unless he is into necrophelia.

Something went completely wrong there from day one onwards and it makes me wanna scream!!!

Bashing David's and Hannahs heads into a bloody pulp was an act of hatred; of revenge. Someone lost his face (Thais tend to do that, not Burmese) and felt the need to show the white people who is in charge on that island.

I feel so sorry for the victims and their families that words can hardly describe it. What a shame this whole case has become, what an insult to the words justice and to the human race itself...

Do you even know what a hate crime is? Here's a definition -

hate crime
noun
noun: hate crime; plural noun: hate crimes

a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence

I have seen the photos uncencored. It does look very brutal, but there is no evidence at all that this is a hate crime. Homicide or sexual crime can be as brutal as this, just because she is brutally murdered doesn't make it a hate crime.

I don't understand why you guys are so upset that it is the Burmese and not 'the Thais' that are being convicted here. I have had business in Koh Tao and I must say there are probably more Burmese workers than Thais there- the murderes and be anyone. I don't see why nationality has anything to do with it.

For those who will be arguing that the authority picked the Burmese becase they want to save Thailand's face and blame on foreigners. May I ask you why they even mentioned an involvment from a Thai person in this case? There was a case of rape this week in Phuket, and the authority publicly announced the rapist was Thai, the same went for the Train rapist.

Earlier this year a 19 year-old Thai murdered 3 kids in a foreigner's house his GF was supposely baby sat for- the Thai authority suspected a Thai criminal since the begining, and arrested him.

I completely don't understand why you WANT the criminals to be Thais - let's assume they arrest 3 Thai men for this case- Will that still make you coming out and scream 'scape goat'?

There are no evidence for your claim that these guys are scape goat- if you are in court your claim will make a very very weak case. Yes, Thai authority have bad images, but they have also made coreect arrests regarding to rape cases as well.

oh also, if any of you is an Australian commenting on how bad the Thais are or bad the country is- may I say '<deleted> OFF WE'RE FULL'....

Dear Dieselnoi,

Perhaps it's better you wait until your period is finished before posting next time.

Anyway, with regards to the Russian woman who was raped in Phuket this week, the police investigators did a sterling job of finding the Thai culprit. Oh, hold on, that right - the Russian woman wasn't murdered like these two on Koh Tao! In this case the victim was a live witness who could clearly identify the perpetrator. Me thinks there's a bit of a difference.

Thai police would never use a scapegoat. Yeah right! They couldn't buy the taxi driver to be a witness so it looks like they've approached the next person on their list.

Oh also, I'm an Australian and too bad for you - Immigration told me to come back as often as I wish. Sorry!

Please show where did I say 'Thai police never use a scapegoat'. This is your poorly comprehended conclusion. Please read comprehensively before replying to a post.

Thai Police find a suspect who confesses and you still don't believe it.

I know a thai person could not do these crimes.

I agree, no Thai could do something like this - just like no Thai fisherman turned pirate could ever have abducted/raped/killed thousands of boat-people, from 1975 up to even 1989.

You are right of course, the reports of UNHCR are wrong then, i mean what where they thinking ...?!

Get an effin' grip & just read your daily news ...

Archived