New Airport

libya 115

The newspaper says the new airport will begin service on September 28 2006.

I am due to be flying out/in around this time, am I alone in having safety concerns?

Surely the logistics of beginning a massive change about is fraught with risks. Are all pilots capable? Are computerised systems capable? Are ground staff and traffic control capable?

Plus, since last year this project has been delayed, are our friends here, capable of taking short-cuts, particularly safety checks to meet 'deadlines'?

I have a bad feeling about all this and would not like to think of a Jumbo Jet having a collision with a back-hoe mistakenly left on the 'apron' or a traffic controller making a mistake with a simultaneous take-off and landing. (He/She might be genuinely confused)!

Maybe I should delay my travel plan? Would you? Comments from those who know more appreciated.

Don't worry about it. There may be some inconvenience for you because of this but it is unlikely to be life threatening.

Or,

For christ's sake stay home and never leave. The world is full of uncertainty and its best to stay home where you can know where the medicine cabinet is and you can call an emergency crew to come and bail you out when the inevitable crisis hits....and where mostly everything is really really predictable.

I don't know. Has the international organization, outside Thailand, that officially certifies airports as safe, actually ruled in this case? Has the pilots' association approved it? Will the insurance companies that insure airplanes and passengers approve it? Will it really be ready this year? I think two years of such questions, remain unanswered. But not even the PM calls me on my mobi'.

I don't think we know. I'm not planning any flights out of that new airport until a few thousand takeoffs and landings have occurred.

Sorry for my ignorance.

But will the new Airport be closer to Pattaya or is the "old one" still closer?

I am sure somebody can enlighten me.

The exit for the highway to Pattaya will be closer than before.

I can guarantee all safety critical systems will have been checked,checked and checked again by entire teams of very highly qualified professionals.Dont worry about it.The guy flying your plane doesnt want to die either,does he?

the new airport is closer to pattaya,but from new airport is there any bus other than taxi to go pattaya??

if from new airport to go to mo chit or ekamai,it will be taking long hour ...

I lived there very close at the new airport Suvarnabhumi. The taxi to Pattaya was about 800 Baht from three years ago with taximeter. A bit more than one hour to Pattaya.

I don't know. Has the international organization, outside Thailand, that officially certifies airports as safe, actually ruled in this case? Has the pilots' association approved it? Will the insurance companies that insure airplanes and passengers approve it? Will it really be ready this year? I think two years of such questions, remain unanswered. But not even the PM calls me on my mobi'.

I don't think we know. I'm not planning any flights out of that new airport until a few thousand takeoffs and landings have occurred.

The first two questions have a NO answer

the new airport is closer to pattaya,but from new airport is there any bus other than taxi to go pattaya??

if from new airport to go to mo chit or ekamai,it will be taking long hour ...

I wouldn't worry. There's one company (sorry, don't know the name as I've never taken it... but we have guests and customers who use it) that currently runs the buses that serve the Don Muang airport - Pattaya line... so there will likely be a company or two to run the new Suvarnabhumi - Pattaya line as well.

:o

To me the new airport isn't convenient. Thaksin or whoever is in charge said that the old airport (the convenient one) will only be available to military, small aircraft, and private planes. What does this mean? Well, my guess is that Thaksin will probably land at Don Muang seeing it is more convenient. Maybe he'll even have the 'smaller' AirAsia planes land there. It'll be great for business seeing how some of the traffic in that area will be down. If you don't go to Pattaya or Rayong I don't see how the new airport is better in any way. It just means another hour just to get to the airport for many people. Now all the people in Nontaburi and Thonburi will have to travel further to get on planes. The Taxi guys must be happy.

I'm flying out on Sept 28th early in the morning. could be the first flight out for all i know. should be exciting.... but as far as the guy flying the plane not wanting to die, remember the plane crash in phuket (or was it ko samui?) a few years ago in the storm? that poor guy didnt want to die either, but apparently was told not to return to bangkok. he tried 3 times to land the plane. safety is not first and foremost in the minds of any business here, including airlines.

I'm flying out on Sept 28th early in the morning. could be the first flight out for all i know. should be exciting.... but as far as the guy flying the plane not wanting to die, remember the plane crash in phuket (or was it ko samui?) a few years ago in the storm? that poor guy didnt want to die either, but apparently was told not to return to bangkok. he tried 3 times to land the plane. safety is not first and foremost in the minds of any business here, including airlines.

it occurred in koh samui. the co-pilot was a friend of my ex-wife.

thanks for the clarification. i seem to remember the pilot wanted to return to bangkok or somewhere else to land but the airline didnt want to pay to have to fly everyone back to ko samui. of course that could all be an untrue nasty rumour.

I remember the last storm related crash being in Surat Thani. :o

It was Surat Thani. Flight TG261 on 11 December 1998.

It was Surat Thani. Flight TG261 on 11 December 1998.

You are right!

The crash happened cause of a classical "loosing/keeping face" situation between the pilot and co-pilot.

Gerd

There are so many questions: This post above seconds my fears: I was rather hoping that a T.V. member/poster might reply with some answers on this. Do international flight bodies become involved with 'minimum standards' for safety etc.

If I am to return to BKK will it retain the code BKK? in the first 2-3 weeks of changeover how confident should I feel?

Air crashes do happen, 80% usually 'human error': change of airport, just beckons 'human error'.

I hope I am wrong: convince me!

I am due to be flying out/in around this time, am I alone in having safety concerns?
You don’t say where you will be flying out to and in from.

If you fly out of Thailand and fly in from outside Thailand, you will be flying out from and into Don Muang airport.

If the government goes through with its official opening of Suvarnabhumi airport on 28 September 2006, at best a few local flights will land and take off at that airport on that day, then no further flights for quite some time.

---------------

Maestro

What sort of a question is this?????

Ofcourse it will be safe, asif airline companies would let there planes land in a airport that isnt safe and could cause accidents, Im sure they make sure its been fully inspected before getting there. Because there planes are worth millions and are not just let loose to land anywhere.

Ofcourse it will be safe, asif airline companies would let there planes land in a airport that isnt safe and could cause accidents, Im sure they make sure its been fully inspected before getting there. Because there planes are worth millions and are not just let loose to land anywhere.

Didn't we talk about this a while ago Donz? How disappointing!!!! :o

there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there

there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there there

You still haven't got it! :D

You don’t say where you will be flying out to and in from.

If you fly out of Thailand and fly in from outside Thailand, you will be flying out from and into Don Muang airport.

If the government goes through with its official opening of Suvarnabhumi airport on 28 September 2006, at best a few local flights will land and take off at that airport on that day, then no further flights for quite some time.

---------------

Maestro

Where have you heard that? The actual commercial flight tests will happen this Saturday for domestic flights and on Sep. 1 for a few international ones...IF (yeah, definitely a big IF) the airport opens on Sep. 28, it will OPEN...fully.

Oh well, I reckon similar crap to what happened at the '98 opening of the new Hong Kong airport will happen...I just wouldn't put anything I really need in my checked-in luggage for the first few weeks, that's the prime target for mishap.

Anyway, got tickets to try it out this Saturday :o

Oh well, I reckon similar crap to what happened at the '98 opening of the new Hong Kong airport will happen...I just wouldn't put anything I really need in my checked-in luggage for the first few weeks, that's the prime target for mishap.

Whilst we were working on HK airport railway the guys were test running the baggage handling system. Once testing was completed, the bags they had used were all stacked up in the terminal for the locals to take away. Some of the mangled specimens were scary, Samsonite cases ripped in half and the like. I'm not sure I'd put anything in checked for a while.

Meanwhile the REAL disaster at HK was the cargo terminal, so don't send your baggage cargo either.

Edit: Today's lesson, demonstrate the difference between:-

1. To, too and two

2. There, their and they're

3. Weather and whether

:o:)

Edited by Crossy

Edit: Today's lesson, demonstrate the difference between:-

1. To, too and two

2. There, their and they're

3. Weather and whether

:o:)

Crossy

You forgot one. :D

3. Weather and whether and do not forget wether (a castrated male sheep)

Whether the wether will withstand the weather on the trip will depend on whether it rains. :D

Looking forward to my next visit and if I get the dates confirmed hope to make it it for the 28/29th of Sept.

Believe that they will be awarding "get out of jail/successful landing "Certificates.. so thats something to look forward to.... :D ..yeah...

Been assured that all of the cracks in the runways have now been refilled and repaired with the correct mastic sealant following the removel of the earlier attempts with the soggy newspaper mixtures.(silly idea)

Also it seems that a new contractor has been appointed to make sure that all of the back up batteries in the runway approach lights (VASIs)as well as the Air Traffic Control Communications networks should be working...assuming they dont forget to fill up the emergency generators (price of fuel...nowadays :D..tut tut )...on the day.......complete confidence in them..... :o

A few reassuring gas lamps and maybe some candles however could be on the cards.....J-I.case

yep ..looking good but still recon they should rename the place Sam.Prats International Airport ..said quickly (Samut Prakan) but since we live only about 10 minutes away...well..cant have everything.... :D

I'm flying in on 8th October and so I emailed Etihad to see if they had any info their reply was

'' At present we have information for Dommung (sic) airport in Thailand only.

However closer to departure time we may have this information and our reservations department will be able to advise the details to you''

Not a lot of info there then!.

Checked with the limo compant I am planning to use and got this

'' Thank you for your attention, we will be inform to you about the Airport, if the new

Airport the cost of tranfer are diferrence,we will updated new destination to

Victory Executive residence at Sri Ayutthaya road.''

Nowt there either so lets try the Victory....

''Pick up at Suvarnabhumi airport is 1,000.- bht./ one way. If you like

to use the pich up service, please provide the information and flight

details at lease a week before your arrival.

....and they said

''Pick up at Suvarnabhumi airport is 1,000.- bht./ one way. If you like

to use the pich up service, please provide the information and flight

details at lease a week before your arrival.''

So I'm not really that far forward.... ah well, got a couple of months to go anyway.