Australian PM orders parliamentary burka ban rethink

webfact

Australian PM orders parliamentary burka ban rethink

CANBERRA: -- Australian PM Tony Abbott has urged the Speaker of parliament to reverse plans to ban women who cover their faces from sitting in the main public galleries.

"Common sense should prevail" when it comes to deciding on public access to parliament, he told Australian media.

Officials in parliament announced the measures, aimed at improving security, on Thursday.

The new rules would have required women wearing coverings to sit in a glassed-off area of the public galleries.

The proposed measure has been widely criticised as a potential breach of Australian anti-discrimination laws. One critic labelled it as "religious apartheid".

The plans would have affected Muslim women wearing niqabs, full-length garments where only the eyes are visible, and burkas, where no part of the face can be seen.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29472599

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-03

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the way he thinks he can order the Speaker. The Speaker is in charge of this and as an Independent officer she cannot be directed. Of course because she came from his party she will likely take note of him which is totally wrong.

• Like 2

How many women in Australia wear burquas ? Just another fear-mongering no-news item. Many Catholic nuns wore full face habits for years in Australia.

As a student of history, I would be very interested in seeing a photo of these full face coverings of Nuns in Australia as I have no recollection of ever having seen them in my study. Mind, not questioning, just wanting to learn. Can you post at least one photo of this?

I've been around Oz for a great many years.....never saw 'full face' covering! What's the big deal anyway, it's supposed to be a "cultural" thing not a religious thing so why not ban them like full face helmets?wink.pngwai.gif

I have news for you... if you go to oz now you will see that full face helmets are not allowed

in public places, banks and government installations, you cant walk around with a full face

helmet in Australia without people to be suspicious of you...

• Like 1

How many women in Australia wear burquas ? Just another fear-mongering no-news item. Many Catholic nuns wore full face habits for years in Australia.

This is a stupid comment, nuns show their faces the last time I looked, in fact many dress western nowadays. In addition a nun serves god not an idiot Muslim man, just wake up.

• Like 2

As a student of history, I would be very interested in seeing a photo of these full face coverings of Nuns in Australia as I have no recollection of ever having seen them in my study. Mind, not questioning, just wanting to learn. Can you post at least one photo of this?

+1

• Like 2

Forcing women to run about dressed like a penguin all day is as cruel as forcing them to walk about completely naked all the time. The latter would give us infidels some pleasure though :) Let's hope the Quran will be revised some day... I strongly suggest school girl outfits thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

How come students are so dumb nowadays, surely they learn how to use Google. Or are they are so lazy they can't get of their arse. God help us all.

• Like 1