‘Nigerian Email Scammer’ Arrested By Thai Police

Lite Beer

‘Nigerian Email Scammer’ Arrested By Thai Police

nigerian-scam-artists-300x156.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai police say they have arrested a Nigerian man who allegedly conned over one million baht from a Thai woman through an elaborate online scam.

Onyekachi Nathaniel Amadi, 37, has been charged with fraud, using a false identity, and disseminating false information that caused damage to others. He was arrested on 30 September at his residence in Samut Prakarn province.

Pol.Col. Chaitat Boonkham, commander of Crime Suppression Division, said in a press conference today that Amadi posed as a “British surgeon who worked for the United Nations” and contacted a Thai woman through a dating site to start an online relationship with her.

After securing her trust, Amadi made plans to meet the Thai woman in Pattaya on 16 September and sent her a fabricated airplane ticket as proof, Pol.Col. Chaitat said.

The suspect also reportedly informed the victim that he was sending medical equipment to Thailand and asked her to lend him money for non-existent “shipping fees.”

According to Pol.Col. Chaitat, target=”_blank” Amadi’s accomplices then posed as customs officials from an airport in the Philippines and told the victim that her “British” boyfriend was being detained at the airport for illegally transporting a large amount of money in his baggage. The scammers then allegedly asked the woman to pay a hefty “fine” of 1.2 million baht.

When the woman hesitated, Amadi pleaded with her and promised to reimburse her when he arrived in Thailand, Pol.Col. Chaitat told reporters. The woman eventually conceded and transferred the money to a Thai bank account, he said.

She eventually sought help from police after Amadi continued to ask her for many other payments, the officer said.

“We have collected evidence based on a modern investigation technique,” Pol.Col. Chaitat said, “We eventually secured an arrest warrant and arrested the suspect.”

Pol.Col. Chaitat added that the police are working to identify other accomplices invovled in the scam.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-10-03

• Like 2

He is my Prince in exile pen pal. Whats he doing in Thailand he told me he was hiding some where in Africa. Another one of my relationships gone down the tubes. Trow him to the ladyboys cheesy.gif and let them have fun with him .

Edited by blowin

I hate those scammers, but I get the urge to blame also the scammed.

In this age and information we can access, it's unacceptable for anybody to fell victim of a scam.

Only very gullible people, like this woman that greed drove her to fell for the Nigerian.

• Like 1

I tried to get one of these guys busted a couple years ago. As soon as I received a text message on my phone, telling me I'd just won the Hungarian National Lottery, I knew it was a scam. I spent a couple weeks trying to lure them in and set up a sting, but somehow, even though I was using my Hotmail address and told them I was in Pattaya, they knew I wasn't in the country. They kept offering to meet me at the airport when I arrived (I think they had an accomplice or relative here in the camp in Kandahar).

I finally gave up and informed them that I had forwarded all their details (including email headers) to the Royal Thai Police, Thai Immigration and the FBI (as their names popped up as a part of a Green card Lottery scam as well).

My last line in the last email I sent them said to expect the police to be knocking at the door very soon. Then I put in "What was that ? Was that someone knocking on your door ? Surely they haven't arrived to arrest you already. Or have they...............)

One of our managers got a bit different type of scam from a different Nigerian scammer. A (christian) couple in the US that had won a huge jackpot wanted to give him $2,000,000 just for being a lucky fellow christian. Quite the hoot considering the guy is a hard core athiest.

He tried to lure the scammer for awhile too. He was supposed to open an "International" bank account in a UK bank (strange considering it was supposedly a couple in the US that were giving him the money). Of course, he needed to pay $600 US (stranger still considering he was supposed to open an account in a UK bank) in bank fees to open the account (payable by Western Express to someone with a totally different name of course).

Buddy told him we didn't have a postal outlet or Western Express office here, but he'd email him the money (then photo-shopped some $20 bills and sent an email with images of $600 worth of fake bills). The scammer wasn't that dumb (or he tried to print and use the money and found out it was worthless). Then buddy asked him if he'd take $600 worth of Lobster instead of cash ! When the scammer said he'd accept it my friend decided he really was too dumb to bother with anymore (that's also why we figure the guy probably did try to print and spend the "emailed" cash) !

Unfortunately, a lot of people do fall for these scams every day. It's the old adage "if it's too good to be true, then it isn't", but people are always looking for that one lucky break. The magic lottery ticket to fame and fortune. The easy way out.

She should have checked out the scamwarners.com website,it lists

and has cases of all the scams people are getting up to around the

World.

Greed,Lust and just downright stupidity,seems to be some peoples

down fall.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

She should have checked out the scamwarners.com website,it lists

and has cases of all the scams people are getting up to around the

World.

Greed,Lust and just downright stupidity,seems to be some peoples

down fall.

regards worgeordie

Stupidity (or perhaps naivety is a better word), yes, but in this case it may not have been greed or lust. There are a lot of older single women in this country who are quite wealthy but lead a lonely and empty life. Unlike the West, whether never married, divorced or widowed, beyond a certain age they are unlikely to find a Thai man to take an interest in them. These women are perhaps easier prey for these scum than those seeking to get rich(er) quickly. We should not condemn them so quickly.

Cheers

• Like 2

I tried to get one of these guys busted a couple years ago. As soon as I received a text message on my phone, telling me I'd just won the Hungarian National Lottery, I knew it was a scam. I spent a couple weeks trying to lure them in and set up a sting, but somehow, even though I was using my Hotmail address and told them I was in Pattaya, they knew I wasn't in the country. They kept offering to meet me at the airport when I arrived (I think they had an accomplice or relative here in the camp in Kandahar).

I finally gave up and informed them that I had forwarded all their details (including email headers) to the Royal Thai Police, Thai Immigration and the FBI (as their names popped up as a part of a Green card Lottery scam as well).

My last line in the last email I sent them said to expect the police to be knocking at the door very soon. Then I put in "What was that ? Was that someone knocking on your door ? Surely they haven't arrived to arrest you already. Or have they...............)

One of our managers got a bit different type of scam from a different Nigerian scammer. A (christian) couple in the US that had won a huge jackpot wanted to give him $2,000,000 just for being a lucky fellow christian. Quite the hoot considering the guy is a hard core athiest.

He tried to lure the scammer for awhile too. He was supposed to open an "International" bank account in a UK bank (strange considering it was supposedly a couple in the US that were giving him the money). Of course, he needed to pay $600 US (stranger still considering he was supposed to open an account in a UK bank) in bank fees to open the account (payable by Western Express to someone with a totally different name of course).

Buddy told him we didn't have a postal outlet or Western Express office here, but he'd email him the money (then photo-shopped some $20 bills and sent an email with images of $600 worth of fake bills). The scammer wasn't that dumb (or he tried to print and use the money and found out it was worthless). Then buddy asked him if he'd take $600 worth of Lobster instead of cash ! When the scammer said he'd accept it my friend decided he really was too dumb to bother with anymore (that's also why we figure the guy probably did try to print and spend the "emailed" cash) !

Unfortunately, a lot of people do fall for these scams every day. It's the old adage "if it's too good to be true, then it isn't", but people are always looking for that one lucky break. The magic lottery ticket to fame and fortune. The easy way out.

"but somehow, even though I was using my Hotmail address and told them I was in Pattaya, they knew I wasn't in the country. "

Very simple, your I.P address is retrievable from your email, then using a simple I.P checker they could have found your exact location. A VPN may have been enough to fool them depending on how computer literate they were.

Why are they always Nigerian? Serious question.

When I worked for a university in Papua New Guinea, they employed a number of academics from Nigeria. They ran a few scams, one of the most lucrative was to engage a Western member of staff in a conversation at the Staff canteen, and make some negative comment about the wife of another Nigerian.

A few days later a court order would be issued to the unfortunate Westerner, accusing him of defamation and setting a date for a court appearance a few months off or agreeing to pay 'compensation' of many thousands of dollars.

The Nigerians had done their homework, and always chose a staff member whose 3-year contract was coming to an end, well before the proposed court appearance.

A few problems arose:

1) as soon as a contract is completed, you must relinquish the university house you've been given for the past three or six years.

2) You are not permitted to leave the country while a court order is in progress.

3) Hotel costs were horrendous - thousands of dollars a month.

So, you had a choice: pay out most of your contract bonus and leave, or send yourself bankrupt and stay in a hotel a few months.

One Aussie guy was able to return home and came back to fight the case - and won.

The whole problem was resolved by the university as certain contracts were not renewed.

10 years ago, if yu seen 100 people between Sukhumvit 3-21, you would see 1 African. Now you see 20-30.

And what are they doing? Next to the Sofitel's 7-11, they hang out there by the dozens. The police are getting paid to turn a blind eye.

Another victim falls for the Nigerian 419 Scam. Thailand is under Martial Law and this is the perfect time for a thorough House Cleaning of all sorts. If the Police cannot do the House Cleaning job, then the Army must! Any Police Official caught having a hand in this dirt or any other dirt must and will be transferred to any of the 3 Southern Provinces immediately for foot patrol. thumbsup.gif

Edited by SinCityGr8One
  • Like 1

Another victim falls for the Nigerian 419 Scam. Thailand is under Martial Law and this is the perfect time for a thorough House Cleaning of all sorts. If the Police cannot do the House Cleaning job, then the Army must! Any Police Official caught having a hand in this dirt or any other dirt must and will be transferred to any of the 3 Southern Provinces immediately for foot patrol. thumbsup.gif

Thunderous applause of approval for your post SinCity!!