I want the truth mind you....................

thequietman

Hi guys,

off to Chiangmai for the family hols. Just a few days away. We go once or twice every year.

However none of the hotels or guesthouses are ever what they are described on Agoda and other sites. The pictures are from when the hotel or guesthouse was built many moons ago and now they are disappointing to say the least.

I know...............you get what you pay for ! However, does anyone know of a hidden gem off the beaten track or in the city itself? We have transport so don't mind outside either, A pool would be a bonus but not necessary. Somewhere clean, tidy, nice gardens perhaps, maybe a small restaurant. I am not a snob and as long as its clean and secure, I am up for it.

So come on all you Chiangmaiens, help me out.....please.

Many thanks in advance for any replies. Take care. wai.gif

What price range are you looking for and what are your requirements (you mention pool = but what about wifi and parking?)

Good point.............. cheaper the better...............can spend money on having fun. Yep need wifi and parking. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

I've always had good luck with booking via Agoda. I read the recent user reviews, ignoring the ones with an ax to grind and those that go over the top with praise. I usually get a pretty clear impression of the places I'm researching and it generally proves accurate when I see for myself. I've traveled extensively in SE Asia over the past 8 or 9 years using both Agoda and Trip Advisor and have rarely had an negative surprise. I learned long ago to basically ignore pictures posted by the hotel itself. With a little time on Google, I can usually find pics posted by previous guests and verify locations with Google as well.

• Like 2

When I stayed in CM recently I booked with Agoda and the place was the best I have ever stayed in 20 years I am not joking it was the best we cant give names but just check out Tannon Wooalai and old Burmese Style place was just perfect, only 8 lovely units, good staff and great breakfast with excellent coffee only for 40 bucks per night. PM me if you wanna know more.

Not easy w/o a price range - - mostly, agoda has been pretty good but there are glitches.. a couple of times now I have booked places with nice pools only to find them closed for cleaning or renovation.. that is not only not in the photos but not mentioned… there are tons of inexpensive guesthouses near Thapae Gate but the word guesthouse and pool usually does not go together. Sometimes you can get a few stars for near the price of a GH - just a bit more… good luck - have fun - schools out!!

I've always had good luck with booking via Agoda. I read the recent user reviews, ignoring the ones with an ax to grind and those that go over the top with praise. I usually get a pretty clear impression of the places I'm researching and it generally proves accurate when I see for myself. I've traveled extensively in SE Asia over the past 8 or 9 years using both Agoda and Trip Advisor and have rarely had an negative surprise. I learned long ago to basically ignore pictures posted by the hotel itself. With a little time on Google, I can usually find pics posted by previous guests and verify locations with Google as well.

Agree, also check trip adviser ignore the raves and moans and if you only take the cheapest option you may get the room by the noisy lifts.

my maine winge is wi-fi not working in all the rooms [as advertised] page 10 pattaya,flamingo,s PP,and a few others.

I agree, Lai Thai is the one we always stay at. Big clean swimming pool, quiet at night, near bars, market and Muay Thai Stadium. Only 800 Baht air con room. Transport waiting outside if reqd. Small room but comfortable beds.

Just outside Chiang Mai ( Doi Saket) a place as it is advertised only 2 years old Teakwoodhouse available and nice garden 2500 m2 of space in the middle of green rice fields you will find Lha's Place.

More info PM me

www.chiangmai-homestay.nl

Kamala's Guesthouse near Thaphae Gate is very good. More a hotel, really. No pool, no garden, but free wifi and a good restaurant.

Great cup of coffee, charming staff. Aircon rooms from 600 baht.

Kamala's Boutique is the more upscale sister location, 2 minutes away. I haven't checked that one out yet, though.

• Like 1

Always enjoyed staying at Hollanda Montri guesthouse on the river. No pool but clean and simple rooms and good food.

I stayed there for 3 weeks and loved it. Its not luxury rooms and the reastaurant is kind of pitoresque, but incredible charming place. And the food is superb!

Realy enjoyable to have a dinner after dark by the river, and I will certainly return, and even have a weekend there now and then when I move to CM.

• Like 1

I have stayed at Lai Thai Guesthouse and find it to be one of the best guesthouses.

Our experience at Lai Thai wasn't as good as yours although it seems to be a popular place. Good location. Check out TripAdvisor.

We have stayed several times at Chiang Mai Gate Hotel, but not recently. We thought it a decent place with an ok but not great buffet breakfast, nice pool and onsite parking. Located a couple of blocks from the Chiang Mai gate. Can book on Agoda.

I almost always use Agoda as well and find you get what they say. Read the reviews, especially recent ones. People will give it low marks if it's not up to much. You must be booking hotels without reading the reviews. I find Agoda very reliable.

Good point.............. cheaper the better...............can spend money on having fun. Yep need wifi and parking. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

OP -- you solved your own question here. If low price is your primary concern, you will get what you pay for. Be willing to shell out a few extra bucks, don't go with the bargain basement deal, and you will have a great experience.

I do agree with your comment about photos being misleading. I tend to rely on those less & less, and depend on member reviews more & more. If one person complains about something ("the room smelled bad") I generally ignore it; if 2 people complain about the same thing ("noisy traffic outside") then it's probably true & I'll move onto the next property. Good luck!

• Like 1

Sounds like a Champagne Taste on a Beer Budget.

Just a little surprised you haven't taken the trouble on previous visits to our beautiful city, to go and have a look at what is available.

Who knows, you might find that "Gem" you were talking about. NOT THAT HARD if you want to get results without being Spoon-fed.

I use Agoda often and though there have been a few disappointments, I'd say 99% of the time I am happy.

I give a thumbs up for Hollanda Montri also. If they had a pool it would be darn near perfect.

My experience with Lai Thai was not very positive either. It can get very noisy since it is very popular with the "let's party!" segment if the backpacking crowd. We had the unpleasant experience of a group of 5 Northern European 20-somethings all staying in the 1-double-bed room next to us. They partied all night, every night. They had fights, threw bottles at each other right outside our door and often came in drunk and pounding on our door at 3 am thinking it was their room. When we complained to the front desk they basically told us they had already tried to talk to them and now it was our problem. They would do no more. In fact they treated us like we were the problem. In general, the front desk staff were surly at best in my experience.

Also right across from us was a couple from North America with 3 children all under 7 years old who were allowed to stay up until 1 am playing loudly in the courtyard in front of us every night. We tried to talk to them about it and they actually became hostile. The husband threatened to punch me out if we complained to the front desk. Needless to say, after 2 mights we had enough, moved to a quieter place, same amenities and cheaper.

On Lai Thai's behalf, I must say that the pool is good, although you need to get there early to grab one of the few sun-chairs or they are all taken by 11 am, the room was adequate for the price and the restaurant was great for breakfast.

Always enjoyed staying at Hollanda Montri guesthouse on the river. No pool but clean and simple rooms and good food.

I stayed at Hollanda Mondri in May this year for a week and it was a wonderful choice. Food is superb, rooms Spartan but good AC and cable if needed. tuktuk always outside. Staff is really pleasurable and extend themselves when asked.

One treat that makes this a JEWEL is that every other Sunday afternoon they have a great Jazz/rock jam session. I met some really great players from around the world, from big name bands who are doing the simpler life thing like I do and had a great time.

Can't beat the rates, but check with their website to get better than commercial websites.

Sawasdee krup,

Paco

Edited by pacosvillage