Thailand beach murders: Police defend bizarre public 'reconstruction' of slayings by suspects

Lite Beer

Police defend bizarre public 'reconstruction' of slayings

If the police don't know how to find murderers and killers, and send them for prosecution correctly, then how on earth are they going to 'defend' something?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never mind boiling water - this whole farcical debacle makes my blood boil.

There is SO much evidence to suggest that these 2 migrant workers are NOT the killers, that I'm surprised that some international agency hasn't stepped in to set this to rights.

However - the DNA samples will have been tampered with by now - there's probably no real way of getting things verified properly.

Oh God in heaven above - please bring justice to this case - expose the truth and in the process, please help Thailand to WAKE THE HECK UP!!!!!!!!!!

If you commit a crime, you must pay the consequences. You may think you can escape scot-free right now - but believe you me, it will always come around in the end.

But hey - the Thai's know that, right?

They're Buddhist, so they must. They live by the laws of Karma, which they believe in stoically, right?

Someone? Anyone? Please tell me I'm right??!

You could be right, it is really easy to tamper with DNA samples. Especially when the original ones exist outside the country.

I wish some people would think before they write this stuff.

So you think that the DNA is still good and intact? I am relieved.

I just wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

I know the general consensus is that the police are under pressure to close out this crime, and given their past track record I can understand this. But to tamper with DNA samples?

But this has gone far beyond local control by police and 'influential' families on small islands. It has gone far beyond simple pay-offs. The incident is now and has been since almost the beginning, in the international arena. The forensic teams, regardless of mutterings, are professional, well trained people who unfortunately don't have the latest and greatest of equipment.

Decisions are not being made by locals but by the heavy hitters from Bkk, so called 'influence' from 'big fish in little ponds' doesn't enter into these decisions.

We have to base our observations on what we are being told and at the moment that is that confessions have been made and there is DNA matches (no percentages shown I see) between attackers and victim. What we shouldn't do is to generalize through what we have been told through the media, FB, twitter, etc without proof of fact, making it a personal matter coming from the heart and not the brain.

The above is obviously a personal viewpoint and I respect everyone should have a point of view. I think you are wrong that anyone would alter DNA samples, but I could be wrong with that and if that is the case, I apologise.

• Like 1

"Koh Tao’s tourist trade has been badly hit since the horrific murders on September 15."

This reveals more than any of the evidence as to why these two men have been caught, judged and practically sentenced. Thailand is safe and Thai people are not dangerous. It's those pesky illegal immigrants who sneak across the border who cause all the problems. "Come Back To the LOS"...You are safe now!!!

Here's a quote from a former PM, after the rape & murder, by two Thai fisherman, of Katherine Horton in 2006.

The Thai prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, says the murder has damaged the country's reputation. "I have ordered police to get the killer of the British tourist in Koh Samui as soon as possible," he tells officials. "This case has caused severe damage to the reputation of our nation and the tourist business."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/jan/18/ukcrime.world

Edited by GanDoonToonPet
  • Like 1

They always do these 'reenactments' with murder cases. It is totally normal here but they showed complete lack of self awareness by doing one for such a sesntive and internationally scrutinized case.

Not even most Thais are fooled by this. It is unbelievable.

I don't know about 'most Thais', but a Thai friend I know on the island does not believe the police and did say that many people on the island feel the same.

Disgusting frame up.

BTW those aren't jackets, they are vests. They look like level IIIA (iiiA, pronounced "3A") and they won't stop a rifle bullet or the bigger handgun rounds.

LEVEL IIIA

When I was serving in the British army in the 70's we called them Flak Jackets.

I have not closely followed the details of this case. It does make reasonable sense to me that a couple of poorly paid immigrant workers -- who maybe have gone without sex for weeks or months or more -- could be on the beach at 4 AM drunk and/or doing drugs and could be sent into a frenzy when they realize two farangs are having sex on the beach close to them with the resultant outcome. It does not make much sense to me that a wealthy Thai scion of the local bigwigs who can get laid any time he wants would have a similar reaction if he stumbles upon the same couple under the same circumstances.

You're completing missing the point. Have you ever seen a Thai man's reaction to a little loss of face? Especially a wealthy and self entitled Thai man? Especially in the South.

Look at the horrific pictures. It wasn't about sex. It was about horrible emotions of insane violence.

In the scenario you imagine, the friends of the two victims would have seen the incident you allude to. Yet they have made no comment about such an incident.

The only comment we have is from the mysterious Mr. McAnna who has now gone to ground.

You view the pictures with a Western mind set and not that of a lowly educated, virtually slave labor illegal immigrant who may have drunk large amount of alcohol and possibly other drugs. When it kicks off here the violence can intensify quickly and there doesn't seem to be any breaks to slow it or thoughts of remorse. Than seems to apply to many in SE Asia and the Indian sub-continent IME.

If you have evidence of the argument, loss of face, other than hearsay, please provide it.

Would it be possible to get a complete explanation of why the two Burmese cannot be the culprits based on facts. Even my Thai friends believe that they are scapegoats. But this is mainly based on the fact that Thai police is hated by foreigners and thai alike because of corruption and abuse and on the fact that since the murder authorities so much wanted the Burmese migrants to be the murderers.

However personally I find difficult to believe that the Thai police is at the level for a fabrication of this dimension . So many people have been involved including not only policemen but forensic personal and external laboratories. How can they pay all of them. The risk would be too high and the coordination too sophisticated.

• Like 1

This amazing saga continues !!

Did you all see the front page of the Bangkok Post today. The Prime Minister says he checked the DNA, what a joke, I didn't know he was a forensic expert !!

Now, if the Thai's would let the British Police check the DNA then it would be conclusive but as it stands this case is complete bullshit, full of corruption and lies and a disgrace to the Thai authorities. Of course these guys are scapegoats

• Like 1

I have not closely followed the details of this case. It does make reasonable sense to me that a couple of poorly paid immigrant workers -- who maybe have gone without sex for weeks or months or more -- could be on the beach at 4 AM drunk and/or doing drugs and could be sent into a frenzy when they realize two farangs are having sex on the beach close to them with the resultant outcome. It does not make much sense to me that a wealthy Thai scion of the local bigwigs who can get laid any time he wants would have a similar reaction if he stumbles upon the same couple under the same circumstances.
... unless there was some scenario that the girl had been propositioned earlier by a wealthy Thai and refused with the resultant outcome but I don't think applies.

One of the very earliest stories, after the murders became known, stated that Hanna was being hit upon by a Thai man (men?) and that David intervened to rescue her.

Right there is your motive... LOSS OF <deleted> FACE.

Congratulations. Case solved. If that was the case though there would have multiple witnesses to such event in a bar and they have not come forward to identify the spurned hitter.

I have only said what makes sense and what makes less sense.

wow.. you just don't get it do you? NOBODY would come forward to give evidence against a local. You just don't understand how powerful they are do you? The headman and his sons actually refused to give a DNA sample and the police allowed that, can you learn nothing from things like this?

• Like 1

Thailand couldn't care less. It is a sovereign nation and if it wishes to protect its powerful and wealthy political class, even if they are rapists and murderers, it will.

It is a strategic ally of the West in the region and knows the UK, the EU, USA, etc. will never push too hard except on matters of strategic security, e.g. Thailand as a hub for international terrorism.

The killers have got away with it here, appalling as that is to normal people.

I will no doubt get flamed by all the 60-year-old noobs hanging out in Chiang Mai for saying this but this is the way Thailand is, there is a ruling class and they are above the law unless they attack another member of the ruling class. Foreign tourists do not count. Do not, for one minute, think you are living in a civilised country with the rule of law because you aren't.

And that's why we are all here with voices. We want the country to take it's first steps closer to civilized life.

It's what the General himself has stated he has in mind.

Your like saying,,,,,, don't buy a car because you don't know how to drive.

Get with it buddy.

DNA matching the suspects ... let's not forget how the Thai police decided to stop using the FBI for DNA testing and decided to send the test to Singapore instead. Somehow these suspects evaded DNA testing when all workers at the bar were tested. It's a setup, and it will be covered up all the way to very top because these people think so high of themselves and so little of everyone else that they believe the fallacy that people can be fooled so easy.

• Like 2

they guy in the long sleeved blue shirt,

isn't it the Village head man ?

Why he have to show the suspect how to handle - keep the hoe ??

because he know how it happened !!

And this poor Burmese scapegoats have to learn it now,

how to kill :-(((

how he have done it, or his s..n told him, how it happened propably

• Like 2

If this is proven to be a set up then I think the world will shame Thailand to the point that no one will want to go there.

Oh yes of course, because all of the 'experts' on Thaivisa who know it is definitely a set-up have already left the country in disgust, eh? I bet the departure terminal at Swampy is a nightmare this weekend with all the sexpats leaving the country.

• Like 1