Stinking motorcycle helmet

ezzra

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy. you need two. use helmet #2 when helmet one is drying out after it's been thoroughly hosed out with various stages of washing detergent and fabric softner. Repeat the cycle when the other helmet stinks out and repeat procedure for the other lid.

When the lining falls apart, replace. The secret to the answer was in the question (cheap lids).

Easy. you need two. use helmet #2 when helmet one is drying out after it's been thoroughly hosed out with various stages of washing detergent and fabric softner. Repeat the cycle when the other helmet stinks out and repeat procedure for the other lid.

When the lining falls apart, replace. The secret to the answer was in the question (cheap lids).

Not sure if the lining can be replaced, I have never seen helmet's lining sold separately,

but the idea of having a second helmet could work...

A No1 crewcut helps, but may not be the OP's cup o'tea:)

Hot soapy water & a hour in the sun usually gets rid of the smell. I used to replace my helmet <its too dangerous to ride these days!>after about a year.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

A helmet with a removable liner is compulsory in the SEA climate. To clean your removable liner I recommend throwing it in the washer with a bit of vinegar and baking soda, as well as detergent. Hand washing just won't cut it. In between washing a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water sprayed into your helmet will help to quell odors. Just be sure and let the vinegar dry completely before you wear it. All the vinegar smell will dissipate once dry.

• Like 1

If you have a half decent helmet or you really like the cheap and dangerous one so many wear here, try www.ThaiAntinoc.co.th -- they re-line helmets at a very reasonable cost. They are situated in Bangkok and offer a return by post service. As an example, they replaced the linings in our two Roof helmets and they only took two days to do it -- one of the days being a sunday.

They are also stockists ( if not the manufacturers ) of Stars Helmets who have a range of more than 50 types of helmet.

Edited by finnomick

Relining and ending up better than the original can be carried out (I have used them for Shoei) by the following place:

'Million Star helmet shop.

389-391 Luang Road/Yukhon 2 Road

Call the shop on 02 221 4358, or 02 222 4727

Their website: http://www.thaiantinoc.co.th/

In addition to the above. Every time I've been in this place, there are policemen collecting or dropping off their helmets for refurbishment

Edited by 8OA8

I cleaned my full face Australian helmet for the first time in years the other day. I only use it twice a month but it got to the point that I hated putting it on. After about 20 minutes with a hose, a hand held scrubbing brush and dish washing liquid and lots of scrub / rinse / scrub / rinse and an afternoon in the sun, it smells like new. Should have done it ages ago. Damn beer.

If you have a half decent helmet or you really like the cheap and dangerous one so many wear here, try www.ThaiAntinoc.co.th -- they re-line helmets at a very reasonable cost. They are situated in Bangkok and offer a return by post service. As an example, they replaced the linings in our two Roof helmets and they only took two days to do it -- one of the days being a sunday.

They are also stockists ( if not the manufacturers ) of Stars Helmets who have a range of more than 50 types of helmet.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what about the best way to clean your visor? Please don't say a mixture of water and vinegar.

Leave it in the sun, with the lining facing out over. My wife does it both ours all the time. Just spray it with that Fabreeze air/fabric freshener after too. The stuff that you spray the curtains and sofa with.

Thats a good way to hide the smell/stench, breed bacteria and so on... Im getting the feeling that people here dont know how to clean

Who has the stinky helmet? Me or the OP? Thankyou!!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what about the best way to clean your visor? Please don't say a mixture of water and vinegar.

At home, I use a foam cleaner thats used for computer keyboards and screens, its smells of oranges, costs about 350B for a huge can and is good for TV screens, laptops, etc .. I guess you could pick it up in office world and lasts for 1-2 years and shifts everything.

I wear specs, so I always have a small spray bottle of cleaner with me everyday, I top it up with the liquid computer screen cleaner or optical cleaner from the opticians. I use this when Im on the move, in between foam-ups at home.

At home, I use a foam cleaner thats used for computer keyboards and screens, its smells of oranges, costs about 350B for a huge can and is good for TV screens, laptops, etc .. I guess you could pick it up in office world and lasts for 1-2 years and shifts everything.

I wear specs, so I always have a small spray bottle of cleaner with me everyday, I top it up with the liquid computer screen cleaner or optical cleaner from the opticians. I use this when Im on the move, in between foam-ups at home.

Good idea, thanks.

I always kept the visor up & used various shades of sunglasses to protect my eyes, inc a pair of 'Ali G's' at night.

HTH

NEI398Odj1xoKR_1_1.jpg

• Like 2