Morocco sentences 70-year-old British tourist in jail for being gay

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girls for babies, boys for pleasure is what I heard from an arab friend...

Strange 'friends' you have.

Along with all women are prostitutes.

and now your friends are pedophiles.

Obviously a fine member of his community, is our Dennis.

Edited by Danhig

Gay sex is legal in the west bank.

ILLEGAL in Hamas controlled West Bank.

In both places, no legal protections for gays.

You can't compare to pot. That's a choice. Being gay is what people ARE.

So what? Just because you are homosexual it does not give you the right to break the law in a foreign country. If you don't like the law in Morroco, don't go there.

How do you know Jingthing is a Homosexual ???

So what? Just because you are homosexual it does not give you the right to break the law in a foreign country. If you don't like the law in Morroco, don't go there.

How do you know Jingthing is a Homosexual ???

cheesy.gif

neverdie, on 06 Oct 2014 - 19:48, said:
MediaWatcher, on 06 Oct 2014 - 16:48, said:
neverdie, on 06 Oct 2014 - 14:26, said:

neverdie, on 06 Oct 2014 - 14:26, said:

simple1, on 06 Oct 2014 - 14:17, said:

simple1, on 06 Oct 2014 - 14:17, said:

The guy's Morrocan partner, who he met via online dating, was also jailed for four months. Should have been more careful as in its advice to travellers, the Foreign Office warns that homosexuality is a criminal offence in Morocco.

One needs to be very careful when one ventures outside ones nanny state.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

Why did you need to bring up "nanny" state... do you have a problem living by societies rules? If, so, you are one of the reasons they have to make the rules... guilty.

You are misunderstanding my point, in your race along the track to attack me.

I mention 'nanny state' as many people living in their cosy little nanny states are oblivious to the fact that such laws exist in countries outside the cosy cuddly section of the planet.

Before you race to critise me in such a way, take a look at who you are critising so that you don't look so foolish. FYI, I have no problem living inside a society governed by rules & I've never been locked up but have locked up thousands who do have those problems.

As I said before, just because it's legal downtown Washington doesn't make it legal everywhere. Be careful where you travel was my point.

making all the wrong assumptions.....yeah ur guilty.

My point is, you call it a "nanny" state which means you perceive it as such...a "nanny" is only a "nanny" to who perceive it to be so.

The guy's Morrocan partner, who he met via online dating, was also jailed for four months. Should have been more careful as in its advice to travellers, the Foreign Office warns that homosexuality is a criminal offence in Morocco.

So what, that does not make it right or acceptable. Is there any Islamic state where homosexuality is lawful or tolerated? funny I thought it was a religion of 'tolerance' must have been mis informed! the prophet of course used to dress up in womens clothes, but that;s OK I guess

Really ....Mohammed. ..in women's clothes

..where did you get that from...

As usual somebody is diverting from the topic which is not about drug mis use but the freedom to practice ones sexuality. So thanks for simple1 for pointing out that about half of islamic states forbids homosexuality, according to him. What about transgenders like Mohamed?

islamic states forbids homosexuality...yes ...but because woman are on 1 side and men on the otherside....the homosexuality is very ....but very commun in arab countries....of course..everybody does it but nobody say it.does exist...

marocco with his king Mohammed VI at the head of his country, is making a real despotic politic (like his dead father)...., they dont respect nothing about human rights or whatever..these people only want to be on the top because of their condition, and want to keep it like this for ever in detriment of the well being of their populations.

i still dont understand why all our governments keep economic relation with these kind of people.

thats why i have never been to africa or i dont go to muslim countries...i dont like their laws or the way they treat their own cityzens

coffee1.gif

So, this 70 yr. man was at a bus stop with a local and arrested for being gay???? What were they doing? Kissing? Holding hands? They can tell in Morocco if a person is gay by standing? Someone had to alert the authorities to something here! This business of harrassing folks who happen to appreciate the same sex is absolutely routed in prejudice and bigotry. Man is damn slow on evolving. Sodomy, Sodomy, Sodomy. That word is thrown about as if it is unknown to the hetersexual world. Yet, it is practiced or wanted by many men due to the sensation that we all know why. Strange. It seems it was the western world religion that infiltrated the culture of others with this nonsense. Think British Empire. That is the excuse given for Africa and the middle east. Even today Pakistan for one has many male to male relationships due to their segration of the sexes. Yet it is never spoken about. It is a secret. But let it get out and there is hell to pay. No nation has it over another due to hipocrasy.

• Like 1

Another case of religious bigotry. Arghhhhhhhhhhh.

Why don't you tell the whole truth? The official religion of Morocco is Sunni Muslim.

Religious Bigotry is Religious Bigotry regardless of which religion, Friend. Whilst I agree that Islam has its fair share it by no means has a monopoly on it!

Why don't you tell the whole truth? The official religion of Morocco is Sunni Muslim.

The maximum sentence for homosexuality in Muslim Morocco is 3 years in prison and/or a fine of £120. The maximum sentence in 85% Christian Uganda is life in prison.

• Like 1

One needs to be very careful when one ventures outside ones nanny state.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

Seems to me that Morocco is more of a nanny state in that you get locked up for sexual preferences. "Big Nanny is watching you" whereas back home where (supposedly) one's rights are trampled on doesn't keep watch in bedroom...

Religious Bigotry is Religious Bigotry regardless of which religion, Friend. Whilst I agree that Islam has its fair share it by no means has a monopoly on it!

Correct, there are 56 Islamic majority countries, some of which do not legally disriminate against homosexuality. There are a total of 70 countries where it's a jailable offence for sexual orientation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-25927595

Edited by simple1

He's not comparing pot to homosexuality pert se, he's making a point that the law is the law is the law, and sometimes it doesn't seem rational or fair, and is often based on outdated thinking.

• Like 1

He's not comparing pot to homosexuality pert se, he's making a point that the law is the law is the law, and sometimes it doesn't seem rational or fair, and is often based on outdated thinking.

thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

I'll have to disagree with that, and I am certain I am not the only one. If you are describing genetics versus events and environment in people's lives then your logic is wide open for debate.

Regarding laws, if a person considers their self to be in the homosexual category and wishes to behave in a manner that fits the description (because it is the behavior which attracts the attention and not the idea or thought pattern), then they need to consider the laws in their community and country and make a choice on the risks.

I understand that people think Islamic laws and other laws against homosexual behavior (social / religious / other) are wrong, but they are, after all, the laws. And I am not overlooking the fact that simply because their is a view that homosexuality is "right" does not make it "right".

Until these laws are changed, and if homosexual persons are going to remain where these laws exist and tempt fate, then I query if this is the best way to resolve the issue and at the same time give an even handed amount of consideration to all opposing views. This includes the view that homosexuality is alright simply because it is opposed.

No one is "right" until the majority or all agree, and even then "right" may not be "right" as history has shown. Accidents and mistakes do happen when an endeavor or decisions are agreed upon and carried out.

I wonder if the homosexuals who are put in prison engage in homosexual activities, or are the prison guards "on the watch" to prevent this, as a lesson. Or, are Islamic prisons like any other prison and anything goes, where the guards are bribed to look the other way, and woe betide any heterosexual man who gets put in there on a minor charge. It would be ironic to put a homosexual into prison for 4 months, where they possibly carry on with homosexual activity or rape by sodomy only to be let loose and the law expect them to refrain from the activity which got them into the place where it is rampant. That is not meant to be an attack, but merely a thought I have about it, simply because it does go on and not being able to discuss it or muse over it is wrongful to oppose.

There are so many ironies, contradictions and oxymorons over this issue that I doubt it will ever be cleared up, since any legitimate discussion over the deeper issues seem to be clouded with mystery and fanatical opposition from the very persons who want us to "just accept" but don't "inquire or muse": ..."Shut up and just do it" so to speak.

• Like 1

I think it is a fair point that gay people lack full legal equality and freedom from irrational discrimination in MOST of the world. Still, to this day. It is matter of degree from country to country, even region to region within countries.

Yes JT, but as someone mentioned the real problems occur when it is institutionalized by government. You'll find bigots anywhere, but if there are legal protections that disagree with the bigots you might just have to put up with the few.

Gays aren't the only ones. Many people hate religion and are outward about it right in front of religious people. Many have been killed and persecuted for their religion. Bigots.

Many have been hated and killed because of the color of their skin. Bigots.

Many have been hated and even enslaved due to their ethnicity. (See Hitler's actions.) Many still hate those people. Bigots.

Yet all of the above bigotry is officially illegal in at least the USA but we can't change a bigot.

Cheers.

I'll have to disagree with that, and I am certain I am not the only one. If you are describing genetics versus events and environment in people's lives then your logic is wide open for debate.

Regarding laws, if a person considers their self to be in the homosexual category and wishes to behave in a manner that fits the description (because it is the behavior which attracts the attention and not the idea or thought pattern), then they need to consider the laws in their community and country and make a choice on the risks.

I understand that people think Islamic laws and other laws against homosexual behavior (social / religious / other) are wrong, but they are, after all, the laws. And I am not overlooking the fact that simply because their is a view that homosexuality is "right" does not make it "right".

Until these laws are changed, and if homosexual persons are going to remain where these laws exist and tempt fate, then I query if this is the best way to resolve the issue and at the same time give an even handed amount of consideration to all opposing views. This includes the view that homosexuality is alright simply because it is opposed.

No one is "right" until the majority or all agree, and even then "right" may not be "right" as history has shown. Accidents and mistakes do happen when an endeavor or decisions are agreed upon and carried out.

I wonder if the homosexuals who are put in prison engage in homosexual activities, or are the prison guards "on the watch" to prevent this, as a lesson. Or, are Islamic prisons like any other prison and anything goes, where the guards are bribed to look the other way, and woe betide any heterosexual man who gets put in there on a minor charge. It would be ironic to put a homosexual into prison for 4 months, where they possibly carry on with homosexual activity or rape by sodomy only to be let loose and the law expect them to refrain from the activity which got them into the place where it is rampant. That is not meant to be an attack, but merely a thought I have about it, simply because it does go on and not being able to discuss it or muse over it is wrongful to oppose.

There are so many ironies, contradictions and oxymorons over this issue that I doubt it will ever be cleared up, since any legitimate discussion over the deeper issues seem to be clouded with mystery and fanatical opposition from the very persons who want us to "just accept" but don't "inquire or muse": ..."Shut up and just do it" so to speak.

The tortuous and circuitous route you take to avoid saying what you clearly want to say is betrayed in your first statements. Until you accept that the homosexual experience, in your words, relates to identity and not behaviour, then you will not be able to understand or interpret the issue. Identity politics is the new reality of modern, urbanised communities and their political systems. Persecution for being who you are, in these types of instances, is anathema. I do believe that the expression of gender identity has to be the same in all cultures. So the expression in Morocco may well be eventually different than in Western countries but as a culture, there still needs to be a respect int that society for universal human rights and gender identity is one of these. Gay people in Morocco must be able to express themselves and participate in society without fear or prejudice.

Your comment on irony is entirely misplaced and is only a factor of your views on this matter and clearly your thoughts on male to male sex in prisons. There is no irony here. It is another thing entirely.

I support all those who stand on the side of opposing prejudice and bigotry based on gender identity. I believe this is a universal human right that will need to find expression in every country and every culture.

• Like 1

The man appeared to likely be gay and was seen with a Moroccan man so assumptions were made. This is definitely a case of persecution based on perceived identity. Not saying police should be knocking down bedroom doors to try to catch people in gay sex acts ... but it wasn't about that in this case.

post-37101-0-08171400-1412668649_thumb.j

The tortuous and circuitous route you take to avoid saying what you clearly want to say is betrayed in your first statements. Until you accept that the homosexual experience, in your words, relates to identity and not behaviour, then you will not be able to understand or interpret the issue. Identity politics is the new reality of modern, urbanised communities and their political systems. Persecution for being who you are, in these types of instances, is anathema. I do believe that the expression of gender identity has to be the same in all cultures. So the expression in Morocco may well be eventually different than in Western countries but as a culture, there still needs to be a respect int that society for universal human rights and gender identity is one of these. Gay people in Morocco must be able to express themselves and participate in society without fear or prejudice.

Your comment on irony is entirely misplaced and is only a factor of your views on this matter and clearly your thoughts on male to male sex in prisons. There is no irony here. It is another thing entirely.

I support all those who stand on the side of opposing prejudice and bigotry based on gender identity. I believe this is a universal human right that will need to find expression in every country and every culture.

"Tortuous and circuitous" is for the benefit of respecting the forum rules. If you want me to say it like it is, then move into my neighborhood and try to push your views over onto my children in school. Then I'll give it to you straight and to your face. The issue you are selecting from my post is my right to hold, just as much as it is for you to express your views about what I say.

The issue I will address from your views is simple: You cannot "make" someone to like you or to accept you or to serve your sense of self-entitlement to your satisfaction if they do not want to. You can try to do so using the cheap tactics thus far used, but we all know where that leads... a big blow out down the road.

I understand your words of accusation and indignation. I have used those tactics myself in the past to get things I want when I do not want to get things through gaining trust and respect. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they do not.

"Getting" what you want requires the same rules that everything else requires when you want something and are willing to get it the honorable way: gaining the trust and respect of those whom you wish to convince and persuade, especially when those are the ones responsible for giving you what you want.

Let me ask you, if being homosexual or lesbian is, in your mind, so "right", then why is there a noticeable increase in anti homosexual and lesbian views and "persecution" in this world? What happened? I mean, is the world population really that full of prejudice and bigotry? Are you homosexuals and lesbians out there really persecuted over reasons which they do not deserve entirely (I say Entirely). Are they actually saying that everything about their views and their behaviors (all homosexuals and all lesbians) should be embraced by everyone all over? I'd like to know how you feel about that, because to date, I have not heard any condemnation from the homosexual or lesbian community speaking inwardly of themselves. It's all sunny and bright and perfect, yes? I mean, the homosexual campaign is almost comedic in the way it portrays itself along the lines of Good Old American Standards and images of Mayberry RFD. Apologies, but these are my views and I am not attacking, merely expressing.

Do you want to convince me or kill me?

I always take a very cautious route when someone tries to sell me a bill of goods in this proportion and tells me it's OK to chew and swallow, and that if I don't buy in to it I had better watch out, and I had better not say anything negative about it. That's right about the time that the salesman gets his butt kicked off my front porch.

Again... not attacking, but I truly suggest that you do your homework. You are not as perfect as you think you are, and you can't "make" me think different by bringing the status quo to bear on me.

wai2.gif

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

"Tortuous and circuitous" is for the benefit of respecting the forum rules. If you want me to say it like it is, then move into my neighborhood and try to push your views over onto my children in school. Then I'll give it to you straight and to your face. The issue you are selecting from my post is my right to hold, just as much as it is for you to express your views about what I say.

The issue I will address from your views is simple: You cannot "make" someone to like you or to accept you or to serve your sense of self-entitlement to your satisfaction if they do not want to. You can try to do so using the cheap tactics thus far used, but we all know where that leads... a big blow out down the road.

I understand your words of accusation and indignation. I have used those tactics myself in the past to get things I want when I do not want to get things through gaining trust and respect. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they do not.

"Getting" what you want requires the same rules that everything else requires when you want something and are willing to get it the honorable way: gaining the trust and respect of those whom you wish to convince and persuade, especially when those are the ones responsible for giving you what you want.

Let me ask you, if being homosexual or lesbian is, in your mind, so "right", then why is there a noticeable increase in anti homosexual and lesbian views and "persecution" in this world? What happened? I mean, is the world population really that full of prejudice and bigotry? Are you homosexuals and lesbians out there really persecuted over reasons which they do not deserve entirely (I say Entirely). Are they actually saying that everything about their views and their behaviors (all homosexuals and all lesbians) should be embraced by everyone all over? I'd like to know how you feel about that, because to date, I have not heard any condemnation from the homosexual or lesbian community speaking inwardly of themselves. It's all sunny and bright and perfect, yes? I mean, the homosexual campaign is almost comedic in the way it portrays itself along the lines of Good Old American Standards and images of Mayberry RFD. Apologies, but these are my views and I am not attacking, merely expressing.

I always take a very cautious route when someone tries to sell me a bill of goods in this proportion and tells me it's OK to chew and swallow, and that if I don't buy in to it I had better watch out, and I had better not say anything negative about it. That's right about the time that the salesman gets his butt kicked off my front porch.

Again... not attacking, but I truly suggest that you do your homework. You are not as perfect as you think you are, and you can't "make" me think different by bringing the status quo to bear on me.

wai2.gif

"You homosexuals out there" etc? I make no statement that I am gay or lesbian or otherwise. I merely state that I stand by those opposed to persecution on the basis of gender identity. I do not make any attempt to convince or convert you. I merely address your opening fallacy in assuming gay identity is about behaviour. It is not. Deal with it. Or don't. It matters not to me.

In my community, legislation prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual identity has been in force since 1986. All school children are made aware of this.

I will not respond to your juvenile attacks on my alleged lack of research, homework or my imperfections. Your view is now marginal in the developed world. There is now majority support for marriage equality and respect for gender identity. The world has passed you by. I await the enactment of further legislation governing hate speech to catch up with you and your 'community'. You can take your insipid threats elswhere.

• Like 1

wai2.gif

"You homosexuals out there" etc? I make no statement that I am gay or lesbian or otherwise. I merely state that I stand by those opposed to persecution on the basis of gender identity. I do not make any attempt to convince or convert you. I merely address your opening fallacy in assuming gay identity is about behaviour. It is not. Deal with it. Or don't. It matters not to me.

In my community, legislation prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual identity has been in force since 1986. All school children are made aware of this.

I will not respond to your juvenile attacks on my alleged lack of research, homework or my imperfections. Your view is now marginal in the developed world. There is now majority support for marriage equality and respect for gender identity. The world has passed you by. I await the enactment of further legislation governing hate speech to catch up with you and your 'community'. You can take your insipid threats elswhere.

That's just what I expected from you, Tep.clap2.gif

Gay travelers ... better boycott Morocco now!

It sounds like he got out for PR reasons.

What happened to Mr. Nass?

For those who made homophobic insinuations that this prison experience was going to be pleasurable for the imprisoned Brit, again, shame on you.

Gays have been going to Morocco for years, it's been a favourite destination of gay artists and authors since the 50's at least and probably before that. I think the dance of the seven veils was probably performed by a young boy, I know that young boys certainly danced for men only.

exactly, foreign women will be locked up in most Islamic countries if they don't cover their skin. Sorry and in many western countries wearing a burka is forbidden. So indeed, one has to respect the laws of a country, it is just that gay people seem to use this topic to flag discrimination...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1