Chiang Mai and the Hippie Trail

CMHomeboy78

Mesquite, they are recollecting the past, not living in it. You have a problem with that? This thread is one of the better ones for a very long time.

"A very long time" being the six weeks you've been a member?

Just reminding these people that for them life is quite good here and now.

Edited by mesquite

Mesquite, they are recollecting the past, not living in it. You have a problem with that? This thread is one of the better ones for a very long time.

Mesquite, you have no idea how long I've been a member. Simply because I am now posting under other another name doesn't mean anything. Why do you assume that they need any reminder whatsoever about the here and now? Jesus.

Edited by JulieM
  • Like 1

Mesquite, you have no idea how long I've been a member. Simply because I am now posting under other another name doesn't mean anything. Why do you assume that they need any reminder whatsoever about the here and now? Jesus.

Lighten up! Gently take that chip off your shoulder and mail it back to Portland. This is Thailand, often called the Land of Smiles! Most of us here are retired, or tourists, and are simply enjoying life.

Lighten up! Gently take that chip off your shoulder and mail it back to Portland. This is Thailand, often called the Land of Smiles! Most of us here are retired, or tourists, and are simply enjoying life.

Well no need for you to try and make it miserable for others enjoying their lives is there.

• Like 2

Well no need for you to try and make it miserable for others enjoying their lives is there.

I have never done that.

The 1978 Iranian Revolution, followed by the 1979 Russian invasion of Afghanistan ended the magical mystery tour suddenly and violently.

It was quite a trip while it lasted.

Combined with the emergence of more affordable long distance flights and tourism, I think that was about the time it just shifted to flying into major regional centers like Bangkok and then schlepping it from there across SE Asia, sometimes also including Nepal, Hong Kong, etc. Or as part of an 'Around the World' ticket that airlines did back then.

With "The Book", of course.

shoestring-1.jpg

(EDIT: Ah.. that turned out to be a BIG image.. but perhaps apt, given how monumental it was in shaping travel in the region. So I'll leave it. wink.png )

My first foray into South East Asia was in 1972 armed with Lonely Planet's Bali On A Dollar A Day.

Ah, the old Bali. But that's another story.

• Like 1

We wasted a lot of time trudging around to find information that's now a click away.

--- Frank James

I disagree. Those episodes help to mold the trip into personal legend.

[/quote)

Yes, that was not time wasted. Getting lost was and is an important part of traveling. Without it, I do not feel that I have taken a trip.

Edited by Dante99

Right Harry. That routine is offensive and totally off topic.

Edited by Bill97

I found this thread a fantastic read and the OP well written. Took me back, not to CM (where I've not been in a long time and tend to avoid like the cancer) however it went to remind me the Thailand, especially, in expat circles, which is long passed. I have many happy memories of picking up dollies at the Mal which was the ONLY place during proper coups (which make todays nonsense look lame)

Thailand is a very different place in these days of a ''quick read of Stickman an 2 week TEFL and you ' know it all' merchants''.....

Thanks OP.

• Like 2

The 1978 Iranian Revolution, followed by the 1979 Russian invasion of Afghanistan ended the magical mystery tour suddenly and violently.

Combined with the emergence of more affordable long distance flights and tourism, I think that was about the time it just shifted to flying into major regional centers like Bangkok and then schlepping it from there across SE Asia, sometimes also including Nepal, Hong Kong, etc. Or as part of an 'Around the World' ticket that airlines did back then.

shoestring-1.jpg

(EDIT: Ah.. that turned out to be a BIG image.. but perhaps apt, given how monumental it was in shaping travel in the region. So I'll leave it. wink.png )

My first foray into South East Asia was in 1972 armed with Lonely Planet's Bali On A Dollar A Day.

For those who want to know where it all started Lonely Planet's Across Asia on the Cheap is available for the massive price of 6 cents on Amazon for the Kindle reader.

This had not been written when I started. I met Tony and his wife on their way to Australia in the Youth Hostel on the beach at Mallaca.

shoestring-1.jpg

And the great thing about that is that you could do it on much less than a dollar.

God help us. Another one. 'I've been here longer than you and that makes me smarter.'

• Like 2

shoestring-1.jpg

And the great thing about that is that you could do it on much less than a dollar.

Not that it matters but the One Dollar a Day books were published by Frommer. They were a bit more upmarket than the Lonely Planet.

It seems that some members have read these reminiscences and concluded that here we have more old (your favorite dismissive generalization goes here), living in the past. How boring! Honestly, I do remember those days fondly but also remember what a drag a lot of that stuff was. For the young, this is your time, make the most of it, whatever that means to you. You will someday feel nostalgic for these days, as the world changes and changes.

We're all "temps" on this job.

"Thanks for the Memories". I rarely think about Bob.

It's great to have memories until finally you are physically, "puff", no more. ;)