Everyone Leers at My Daughter

Neeranam

Everywhere i go now with my 12 year old daughter, many Thai males leer at her and women stare. She is now 169 cm tall and i consider beautiful but biased of course. She looks about 15/16.

The other day we were in Big C food court, Mahasarakham. A group of about 10 guys, maybe 15 yo sat next to us and kept staring the whole time. They were polite otherwise. I started watching the mobs walk past and whether or not they looked - the majority did, looking away when they saw me looking at them but then when walked past looking round again. This is a little uncomfortable but bearable as i am actually proud of her looks.

The worst is when we are walking around and grown men leer and make comments I can't hear but are obviously directed at her. I asked her what she thinks and she doesn't like it. I suppose there is nothing I can do to stop it but what can I do when this happens? She is at a very impressionable age and will be affectedif I say nothing and also if I punch the guy on the nose. Any advice?

• Like 2

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in a very similar situation with my 11 year old, looking more like 14 or 15. Problem is that lots of her friends are also older. Just gave her an iPhone so I can at least track her when she is outside the house. I just try to teach her about the risks outside but don't want to lock her up. I think I'll make her wear a burqa or cut her hair really short for the next few years...

Maybe I am paranoid but I never let her outside with her friends without myself or another adult. This will change but I don't know what age - maybe 16. Then again, she will never be allowed out alone while I am still around.

• Like 2

Same thing with my friends daughter only turned 12 this years visit , half Australian half Thai. Dad is 6'4" and she got his height. Many Thai and Laos , Cambodian are staring at her, she is taller than most of them, about 1.7m.

I know how they both feel,a group of 60/70 year old Thai grannies trying to grope me in the swimming pool. bah.gif

• Like 2

Actually, maybe a kind mod could move this to the family forum.

She was wearing a miniskirt over leggings that day which I thought was ok for her age. Maybe her dress should be monitored more.

Sorry Claudius, this ain't Rome.

• Like 2

Same thing with my friends daughter only turned 12 this years visit , half Australian half Thai. Dad is 6'4" and she got his height. Many Thai and Laos , Cambodian are staring at her, she is taller than most of them, about 1.7m.

I know how they both feel,a group of 60/70 year old Thai grannies trying to grope me in the swimming pool. bah.gif

That's the same height as me and I pray she doesn't grow much more unless she wants to be on the catwalk.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but when I ventured out shopping recently with my pre-teenage sons it occurred to me that the dirty looks we attracted in the mall/arcade were predominantly from 2 week wonders who assumed I was up to no good...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

My father and I had lunch. He 70 but looking a bit younger. I 40 and looking younger.

The gay waiter thought I am the lover of the old guy and invited himself to come to our hotel......

Strange......

(all of us look European)

• Like 1

I've had Thais looking and staring at my 12 yr old son with continual comments of Lor. We were at a shopping center last month and some young girls were staring and giggling and then approached him to help with their English homework.

Now my wife wants to send him to a boarding school overseas .

• Like 2

Same here with our 14 year old.....a mini version of my wife....at first I didn't really notice until my wife pointed it out - she was more tuned into it......there's not much you can do except give the conciously aware stare back it - usually it startles/detracts them.....seems to make no difference whether a lone guy or a few.....it happens a little less when we walk as a family but still occurs......it's almost like they are sizing up the newest sweetest piece of fruit......she does have FB but we have the password and are always monitoring and all seems innocent there.....she's really an innocent; sweet, and shy like her mom - but she has the looks......

I always cringe for someone elses daughter when I see a group of 4 - 5 guys river/beach/waterfall/stream swimming/eating places and one girl all drinking sucking down the beer....sooner or later something is going to happen.......we try and impress on our daughter the dangers and lessons as we see them....fortunately there's no drinking history in the immediate family.....+ she is genuinely shy - not looking for attention.....we all share that trait so she has no bad family role model.....

The wife quite often gets sized up even though she's pushing 40 and considers herself "old" - (looks younger).....farangs doing the comparison inspection & of course the Thais.....sometimes it's funny.....we were walking in a park and another couple (Thai) was giving my wife the once over - twice over - thrice over.....as we passed I glanced at his gal and she had noticed also - but not as soon as I had......as they ppassed going the other way he turned his head to inspect the back side - - - - he never made it - I heard this loud thwak - she let him have it hard right on the side of his head.....by that time/sound I glanced back and he was a little wobbly for a few steps - made for a good laugh....

We're all together a high percent of the time in one way or the other so it effectively removes unwanted attentions from the clueless "admirers".....

Guard with love, vigilance, guidance, caution, and care there's a lot of extremely pretty women out there 20-26 that "somehow" have a child that's 4-5-6-7........they're targets........

There is alcoholism in my family - that's another challenge in a few years time.

The OP has to guts it out I'm afraid, I do understand and relate to the problem but there's not a lot to be done other than adjust personally and hope your daughter is as smart as she is attractive, which I'm certain she is.

• Like 2

It amuses me how fathers' can be so protective of their young teenage daughters. This is not exclusive to Thailand, it can happen anywhere. My young girls were exposed to the vagaries of the Middle East where on one occassion an Asian guy was caught red handed by my eldest pounding the monkey behind a pick-up and at night. She just exclaimed 'disgusting' which drew the attention of the youngest (8 at the time). Mum and Dad were close by, It was a non event, no harm done and I certainly did not feel inclined to lash out at the poor guy; the girls had forgotten about it five minutes later. There was the leering on other occassions, so where's the problem? Ignore it.

Mine grew up well adjusted and well guided by their parents, which I know they are now following with their own children. I was let off the leash at the age of eight to attend boarding school and I had to grow up and learn fast which no doubt influenced me in my approach to bringing up my kids. I respect the freedom of parents to do what they think is best of course but I still believe that being over protective achieves nothing in the long run.

• Like 1

Just pray she doesnt use her looks to make money........................lol. Happens here quite often!

Guys who leer @ girls only have one thing on their mind. Monkey pounding......................................lol.

Edited by choochoo
  • Like 1

Just pray she doesnt use her looks to make money........................lol. Happens here quite often!

Guys who leer @ girls only have one thing on their mind. Monkey pounding......................................lol.

You know the saying; 'pay peanuts, pound the monkey'