Anthony's day out at Makro

Anthony5

Went to Makro South Pattaya today around 4.30pm as I needed some stuff, and you can get everything there. Isn't it ?

First big bottles of coke zero - out of stock, ok lets take Pepsi Max as last resort - No hab either.

Next 250 cc chocolate milk from Thai-Danish. Nope, lots of sweetened milk but no chocolate.

Never mind, Seafood noodle soup from Nissin, the leader in Asia. Mai Mee.

Ah I also need Muesli, the fruity muesli from Hahne. Only 1 pack left, ok that's mine.

Alska Pollack frozen fish fillets I also like to take from there. Ooops, no hab

Hmm, skinless chicken breast next. No chicken breast or fillet available, but lots of chicken feet - joints - intestines - offal and whatever crap a westerner doesn't eat.

So I give up at that point, at least I have 1 pack of muesli and 24 bottles of mineral water. Not to bad for a 56km roundtrip, isn't it ?

So off I go to the new branch on North Pattaya road.

All the products I mentioned above not available there as well, but what I noticed is that the muesli's were plenty available.

Only observation was that the prices were a "bit different" from the other branch.

Hahne fruity muesli 178 > 198 Baht new branch

Hahne oats 48 > 55 Baht

McGarret fruity Muesli 1,5kg 250 > 278 Baht.

That are all price rices by +15%

So I guess it is revealed now why the other regular items weren't available.

Get ready for steep price increases at Makro, and probably elsewhere, in the next few days.

Didn't someone in power recently said he had asked major retailers to freeze prices ?

You went too late - around mid-day loads of skinned and skinless chicken breasts smile.png They often seem to run out of stuff in the afternoon or do not get round to replenishing.

Don't know, I usually visit Makro after 5pm and have no problem.

It was quite obvious that all these products, take note that I'm not only talking about chicken, were not available at both branches and that the muesli's which were available at the new branch had increased by +15%. It was not only 1 brand, so it was clearly a broader price rise.

My experience is that prior to a price increase products always go out of stock for a certain period of time

I don't know, Cheese and Salami are two things I don't even dream of buying in Thailand at 5-700% premiums. Cheaper to have it sent over from Europe, even if you have to pay for express courier service.

I know a guy from italy that could bring fresh salami/pepporoni from there for you. He has a diplomatic passport also.

I don't know, Cheese and Salami are two things I don't even dream of buying in Thailand at 5-700% premiums. Cheaper to have it sent over from Europe, even if you have to pay for express courier service.

I know a guy from italy that could bring fresh salami/pepporoni from there for you. He has a diplomatic passport also.

I think you all missed the point of this thread, the point being that the shortage of regular products together with the already price increase of the muesli, indicates that we're in for steep price increases in the very near future.

This is for day to day products, so it will affect everyone.

As for the salami, I'm not even talking about the finest salami, but the most ordinary produce is here already priced at a ridiculous 5 time mark up while it is all locally produced from Thai pork meat.

Hint : It's all produced by farang companies.smile.png

• Like 1

The manager @ Villa Pattaya told me this morning they will have a fresh stock of not only West Venezuelan but also primo Colombian (Santa Marta & Cartagena) beaver cheese on Thursday morning. But they ain't gonna be cheap wink.png

Give him a ring and reserve yours now before they're all gone rolleyes.gif

Edited by cloghead

Brie, Roquefort, Pol le Veq, Port Salut, Savoy Aire, Saint Paulin, Carrier de lest, Bres Bleu, Bruson?

Only if you go early wink.png

Do they have bouzouki players?

I understand Costas is the go-to contact for this and beaver related info..............I wouldn't want to step on any "bits" inadvertently wai2.gif

Brie, Roquefort, Pol le Veq, Port Salut, Savoy Aire, Saint Paulin, Carrier de lest, Bres Bleu, Bruson?

Only if you go early wink.png

Do they have bouzouki players?

I understand Costas is the go-to contact for this and beaver related info..............I wouldn't want to step on any "bits" inadvertently wai2.gif

I believe Costa's area of expertise is Badgers, specifically Greek Badgers, not beavers, but you never know, he may have tried a milk a beaver in his time, or possibly a beaver has attempted to milk him, however he did give up on Honey Badgers after one bit off his testicles...

• Like 1

Macro in South Pattaya seems to run out of stock because they do such high volume business. Go in there almost any time and you will see trolleys piled up to the gunnels. Shops and restaurants come from miles around to buy their stuff for MOST items it is the cheapest place to buy.

I'm not making excuses for them as no store should run out and management should anticipate demand - which they obviously are not very efficient at doing, but it can't be easy in place like Macro with such a high turnover.

We buy 99% of our stock there for our bar and there is always some items out of stock - maybe coke zero, or milk or whatever. If we go back later that day or the next day it is back in stock again. Generally speaking, the earlier in the morning you go, the more likely you are to find everything as sometimes customers will buy all the available stock of one particular item.

The OP ma be right and we may be in for some general price rises, but I personally doubt it. Has it occurred to you that Macro might be charging more for their products in Pattaya Nua than S Pattaya, as they know they will have a different type of customer? - more retail than trade.

Big C definitely charge more in in Pattaya Klang for some of their products than they do at their other stores, and while you may find the odd item in Big C cheaper than Macro, 99% of their items are way more expensive.

• Like 1

i got to go to makro sunday 6.30am. fresh asia sea bass,makro crinkle chips and 3 cases of chang export.

still have plenty of cheese,spam and chicken breasts.biggrin.png

I applaud you meatboy - that is what I call a MAN's shopping list.

Nonsense.

The Vintage Cheddar at circa 169 Baht is perfectly acceptable and their own packed Danish Blue is as tasty as any I have tried.

Macro in South Pattaya seems to run out of stock because they do such high volume business. Go in there almost any time and you will see trolleys piled up to the gunnels. Shops and restaurants come from miles around to buy their stuff for MOST items it is the cheapest place to buy.

I'm not making excuses for them as no store should run out and management should anticipate demand - which they obviously are not very efficient at doing, but it can't be easy in place like Macro with such a high turnover.

We buy 99% of our stock there for our bar and there is always some items out of stock - maybe coke zero, or milk or whatever. If we go back later that day or the next day it is back in stock again. Generally speaking, the earlier in the morning you go, the more likely you are to find everything as sometimes customers will buy all the available stock of one particular item.

The OP ma be right and we may be in for some general price rises, but I personally doubt it. Has it occurred to you that Macro might be charging more for their products in Pattaya Nua than S Pattaya, as they know they will have a different type of customer? - more retail than trade.

Big C definitely charge more in in Pattaya Klang for some of their products than they do at their other stores, and while you may find the odd item in Big C cheaper than Macro, 99% of their items are way more expensive.

We tend to visit there at least once a week. Many times, there are several pickups right out front being fully loaded up with purchased goods. Huge amounts of stuff. If you get there right after them, and want something they stocked up on, you might be out of luck.

I don't know about here, but back in the US, stores have classifications that determine their prices. My friends lived in a small town in the California mountains. The Vons store there had prices that were way above the Vons grocery store 50 miles away in the "big" city.

Another thing I have found quite often is that it takes quite a while to restock the shelves from the warehouse, when an item has a 'run' on it. Many's the time we have asked a worker if a particular item is out of stock and they have replied that it is 'coming' - i.e. en route from the nearby warehouse.

Unfortunately, it can sometimes take an hour or more to arrive as they are flat out re-stocking with the forklift which can only work at a certain pace.

You either wait, or buy it elsewhere.

Something clearly is in the works.

Was at big C xtra this evening and no chicken breast or fillet available. Even no space reserved in the fridge as no price label, and where it is normally located were now bones and carcasses.

Also noticed a few days ago already that ALL prepared food products, I know food is a big word, Thai and Western had increased in price by 10% and the portions obviously smaller.

Soon the package will weigh more than he contents.