Thai work permit, visa proposals get positive response

webfact

The only way for this country to attract foreign investment is:-

1. Get rid of all corruption,

2. Let foreigners own their own land and the house that is built on it,

3. Give us a five year visa and work permit,

4. Make applying for number 3 much easier,

5. Scrap 90 day reporting, if you have a 5 year visa the immigration department should have you on computor and can see when you leave and re-enter the country.

Attract foreign retirees:-

1. Give them a five or ten year retirement visa, permission to stay in country for five or ten years, ten years if they support a family,

2. Include numbers 1, 2 and 5.

When the Chinese arrive with their dirty money, they will buy up everything they can, just like they did in Singapore. Why will it be easy here, 'cos Thai's love the feel and smell of money?

Then after ten years they will sell the properties to the next highest bidder and they will walk away with squeaky clean money, all laundered in easy land.

Urmph, proposals are just that, talk is very cheap here. Action, well that takes some doing.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

90 day report on line would be a great move it would stop all this needless paperwork pity they did not go a step further by offering a five year visa to expats who have resided in the Kingdom for over 3/5 years maybe one day !!!

What paperwork for 90 day reports ?

There is none.

I did mine yesterday, hand them my passport, they scan it, a printer prints out a paper, it is signed and the bottom part stapled into the passport, finish out the door in less than two minutes.

Still doing it online could be easier although don't know the procedure as yet.

Something I would like to see is that someone with a valid retirement or work visa could do short term volunteer work without a work permit.

Maybe no 90 day form required at some offices, but you sure have to hand them a 90 day report form at Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok immigration.

What office do you report at?

• Like 2

I will celebrate when I can get a 5 year visa and 5 year work permit so I can run my business investment in Thailand without having to mess around. The whole foreign business ownership, visa period and work permit needs an overall. This is nothing to get excited about.

Agree. Ownership of business and/or personal property needs a re-think. I have invested my heart and soul in this country to take care of my family but I can't even own my own house. Even 50/50 ownership would be a massive step forward.

Married couples all over the world have 50/50 ownership, input etc. and if the worst happens to a couple everything is split down the middle. Why can't I be allowed to buy just 1 or 2 Rai of land to build a home? It's not like I can take it with me if I left.

I have a work permit, visa etc. and pay all of my taxes. I can own a motorbike and a car (if brand new!), I should be allowed to own just a small piece of land.

Limit it to just 1 or 2 Rai and a lot of expats would be very happy.

• Like 2

What are you going to do for the Retirees who add to the economy and provide security for many Thailand Families ?? We need to have at least a five year visa and do away with the 90 day reporting or make it on-line, better yet allow us to report over an ATM, since we use them daily.

I have lived here 10 years and this annual "Goat Rope" called a Visa Extension is a pain where I sit down !!

• Like 2

It boils down to penis envy They know falang have long dong for the most part too many falang mean less places to park there dong. Besides they have to keep thinking of new ways to get falangs baht It hurt brain Thai's not use to so much thinking. IMO

It boils down to penis envy They know falang have long dong for the most part too many falang mean less places to park there dong. Besides they have to keep thinking of new ways to get falangs baht It hurt brain Thai's not use to so much thinking. IMO

Recommend you take a LOT of headache pills immediately.

That's nice.....How about a work visa for a foreigner married with a Thai?

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Dont understand your problem. You can work in Thailand, get a job and the employer will provide the work permit if they are a good company. If the company dont want to provide a work permit find another company to work for.

There are sure way to get a job with the proper work permit, but this requirement limits your ability to get a job, as some companies don't want to go through the hassle of handling the work permit application procedure, and hiring delays may be an issue too.

If I understand correctly, it's also impossible to have a sole proprietorship for a foreigner (even married to a Thai), working by yourself, you'd need a least two Thai staff.

• Like 1

BestBitterPhuket, on 08 Oct 2014 - 09:57, said:

This government is doing more in 6 months than other thai governments have done in 30 years. Bravo!

Done a lot, really, just scrutinise things, and see what has actually been achieve, the fact is, a lot of chest beating, but little change.. those corrupt ineffective officials, eg the governor (now ex) of Phuket has been "promoted," or allowed to carry on. Corruption is still rife, ridiculous decisions still being made, the RTP still looking like fools, taxi/tuk tuk/jet ski/parasailing mafias still run Phuket, no one with power has been brought to court. The self appointed PM has made Thailand a laughing stock. This is the 19th coup, guess "maybe" the 20th MIGHT achieve change, but don't hold your breath.

90 day report on line would be a great move it would stop all this needless paperwork pity they did not go a step further by offering a five year visa to expats who have resided in the Kingdom for over 3/5 years maybe one day !!!

What paperwork for 90 day reports ?

There is none.

I did mine yesterday, hand them my passport, they scan it, a printer prints out a paper, it is signed and the bottom part stapled into the passport, finish out the door in less than two minutes.

Still doing it online could be easier although don't know the procedure as yet.

Something I would like to see is that someone with a valid retirement or work visa could do short term volunteer work without a work permit.

Maybe no 90 day form required at some offices, but you sure have to hand them a 90 day report form at Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok immigration.

What office do you report at?

Well I'm with Robby the kiwi on this one, I report at Chantaburi (Pong Nam Ron) and

about 90 seconds is my quickest, no paperwork. Last time I went there for a re-entry permit however they were all waiting out the front for a big-wig, that took longer than the 15 minutes

they have put on their flow chart on the wall

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Dont understand your problem. You can work in Thailand, get a job and the employer will provide the work permit if they are a good company. If the company dont want to provide a work permit find another company to work for.

The problem is the "can" "if" and "if" in your post. My wife got her citizenship after three years, could work from day one ANYWHERE she wants and whenever she wants, without being a slave to someone, and is treated same as me. FULL STOP. She has total freedom to live her life. No visa renewals, no reporting nothing. Vastly different than the way we are treated here.

TSK, TSK, TSK!!! Will Farang ever understand Thainess? whistling.gif

You are comparing Somtam to American apples.

In mentioned US, there is strong laws against discriminations when hiring employees.

The words equal opportunity comes to mind...

Your suggestion that a foreigner here can apply and get any job they qualified to do, is laughable.

Does US for example has a list of restricted jobs for their thai or other immigrant or has those married to their citizens need to hold aboutlarge amount of money in the bank?

Now replace US to other western countries for the big picture....

USA is a new country and basically everyone there is an immigrant of the last couple hundred years.

In Europe there are a lot restrictions to even get a visa.

• Like 1

What is the improved procedure for WP applications they say is already in place?

The procedures for migrant alien labour and professional and executive expats are effectively in place. Migrant laborers are allowed to do jobs that are reserved for Thais in the royal decree that lists professions prohibited to foreigners but are prohibited from jobs that aren't reserved for Thais, i.e. prof & exec jobs. They don't need a blue WP book. They get 10 year ID cards etc etc. So what is exactly being proposed here and how would it benefit foreign investors?

2-year visa for teachers. On what conditions? When the 2-year WP was introduced under the 2008 Working of Aliens Act it sounded good but the Labour Ministry slyly introduced some unpublished internal regulations that restricted this to expats earning B1 million a month plus or working for public companies or private limited companies with paid-up capital of over B100 million. This has made the 2-year WP effectively redundant for most expats who qualify for one because, working for large companies, they also qualify for the one stop visa/WP renewal which works quite well. If they want a 2-year WP, they are no longer eligible for the one stop service and have to apply separately for visa and WP renewal to Immigration and the Labour Ministry. The teachers will need to be eligible for a 2-year WP to be eligible for the 2-year visa. So will the Labour Ministry give teachers on B10,000 a month a 2-year WP and continue to demand other expats need B1 million a month in their non-transparent internal regulations?

What about WPs for permanent residents? Why is Thailand the only country that requires PRs to get WPs? Why did they remove the privilege of PRs to get a WP without any Thai staff a few years ago?

What about a faster and more transparent route for foreign investors, their expat staff and others to obtain PR? The fees are very high, so the govt should be happy to generate more and faster revenue.

What progress has been made on amendments to laws and regulations (internal as well as external) to allow ASEAN citizens work freely in the professions that will be allow to work freely under the AEC from 2015?

Why do Immigration and the Labour Ministry need to have unpublished internal regulations to do with visas and WPs? Why can't they publish all regulations and ensure all offices around the country stick to them? Why do local branches have the power to set their own rules?

• Like 1

I will celebrate when I can get a 5 year visa and 5 year work permit so I can run my business investment in Thailand without having to mess around. The whole foreign business ownership, visa period and work permit needs an overall. This is nothing to get excited about.

Agree. Ownership of business and/or personal property needs a re-think. I have invested my heart and soul in this country to take care of my family but I can't even own my own house. Even 50/50 ownership would be a massive step forward.

Married couples all over the world have 50/50 ownership, input etc. and if the worst happens to a couple everything is split down the middle. Why can't I be allowed to buy just 1 or 2 Rai of land to build a home? It's not like I can take it with me if I left.

I have a work permit, visa etc. and pay all of my taxes. I can own a motorbike and a car (if brand new!), I should be allowed to own just a small piece of land.

Limit it to just 1 or 2 Rai and a lot of expats would be very happy.

You could exclude all nice places close to the beach. If you allow these all would be bought by foreigners. But non one would care about a rai or two somewhere between the rice fields.

Well I'm with Robby the kiwi on this one, I report at Chantaburi (Pong Nam Ron) and

about 90 seconds is my quickest, no paperwork. Last time I went there for a re-entry permit however they were all waiting out the front for a big-wig, that took longer than the 15 minutes

they have put on their flow chart on the wall

That's good. Now if immigration would would just drop the need for 90 day reporting all together...form required or not...whether doing it in person or via mail...just no 90 day reporting required.

Why not yearly instead and/or when a person changes address. I know it's supposedly "the law" requiring the reporting every 90 days but it seems laws can be changed (or ignored or selectively enforced) so easily in Thailand. It's kinda like the proposed changes to blacklisting if you overstay your visa/extension of stay...that's apparently going to be an immigration "regulation" change vs a law change if and when approved which hasn't occurred yet.

I expect if immigration would submit for a change to the 90 day law to something longer, it would be approved. Hopefully immigration will submit such a change in the near future...one can hope...but I'm not going to hold my breath in anticipation of it occurring.

Interesting comment re 5 year visa extensions for expats completing a reasonable term of previous stays.

I 'm just back from immigration after submitting the paper work for marriage extension and made the exact same comment to the other-half -- same heap of paper as last year and the year before and the year before going back 14 years - time for a thoughtful change, possibly something like a 90 report every year would suffice to maintain your status.

The problem is the "can" "if" and "if" in your post. My wife got her citizenship after three years, could work from day one ANYWHERE she wants and whenever she wants, without being a slave to someone, and is treated same as me. FULL STOP. She has total freedom to live her life. No visa renewals, no reporting nothing. Vastly different than the way we are treated here.

Which just proves that the immigration policy of the US is too relaxed, same can be said for many European countries.

@taony, not having a go at your wife, just talking in general terms.

Apart from the 90 days reporting, I think Thailand has got it about right.

After all it is their country!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Don't see any major changes that will make things that much better.

90 day reporting will be easier if it is online, so that's a good thing, although as I travel frequently it doesn't affect me. I think there should be a longer grace period for people who WP get's canceled, the current 7 days is ridiculous and there would be no harm in someone staying for a longer period, to allow them to find new employment, or make suitable plans if required. The Trade show WP is a nonsense, so that change will be positive.

See nothing there that really excites me.

Another Marie Antoinette announcement...

The entire system is in need of a re-write, is the problem. Trying to stretch and bend existing rules which are, for the most part not even correctly or uniformly applied, is just introducing more confusion.

I married a Thai national, in 2006 and today have no more rights than I did then. I have effectively wasted 10 years of my life as in my field the jobs which I am qualified have age, language and nationality restrictions. I work outside of Thailand when I can find contracts, but this disrupts my life. Most of my earnings are left outside the country too, as I feel nervous sinking my entire existence into a country that can deny you an extension at any officer's whim.

Indonesia recently updated it's immigration laws - when you marry a national you are given a 5 year visa. You can work, buy stuff and own property. After 5 years, you only need to prove you are married to get an additional 5. At the end of the first 10 I think you get PR. (I hope I have this correct, I read up on it a while ago.)

Regardless of the small details, you will notice that in ten years you would only need - 2 visits to immigration... Charge the right price and teach your nationals that marrying a foreigner is not necessarily the stairway to heaven - we are people just like you; although, as we are living outside of our countries perhaps a little less xenophobic.

• Like 1

Needing a work permit to exihibit at a trade show ? Sorry, but that is seriously retarded. Was in Beijing in June for a trade show. No such laws exist in China. "

How does that even work ? How long does it take to get an exihibtors work permit ? Also there are different sets of regulations for state run and private trade shows ? It would appear that there are two different economies in Thailand; the state and what is left over.

"Business operators who want to visit an exhibition in Thailand will also be exempted from having to get a work permit, but they will still need one if they want to open a booth or trade at a fair".

"However, if it is a state-run exhibition, such as "Thai-Fex World of Food", any foreign operator who wants to open a booth or trade at the event will not require a work permit."

Almost every year for 20 years I attended the company exhibition at the (OTC) Offshore Technology Conference held all over the world and never needed a work permit in any country. This seriously reveals Thai Immigration's ignorance of the real world outside Thailand.

Is there really anything outside of Thailand other than junket trips for a few pollies and their hanger-on's.

• Like 1

IF it happens a definite move in the right direction.

Even just the online 90 days report would be a major boost for most of us.

Now, about those longer visas for those married to a Thai or retired smile.png

It's hardly stressful and going out of our way with our busy lives just to " stroll into immigration every 90 days..... lol

That's right. Why are we not allowed to freely work and take care of our families.

What ever you are drinking or smoking - suggest you stop straight away before any more damage is done.

Good Positive Proposals - Logical and efficient -

Oh dear...

Moving on. Many countries don't like foreigners but they put up with them.

Examples: Spain and Greece - tourism dependent (But can be a love/ hate relation ship, on both sides)

Foreign workers in Germany and UK - (needed for the jobs nationals will not do...)

And Australia - years ago a recruitment drive for population growth (Racially targeted)

Now they pick and chose who they allow "In" (Professions etc)

But the main point is - If you want people to come in - MAKE IT EASY to get in AND STAY IN!

Had I known what a disaster it was to get in Thailand - I would have never tried.

(I spent over a month checking paperwork for my wife to follow - IT WAS WRONG! - we were asked twice suggested?

to pay a bribe by 2 immigration "officers" and were treated with aggression and like lowly serfs, when we didn't...)

In Many countries immigration has to protect that country from scroungers.

But Thailand needs professional people, at all levels, and socially acceptable/integrated people (Married/Retired)
so they should be honoured that these people want to stay in Thailand, not the other way around...

I took a 60% pay cut to go to Thailand, I had to live in poorly (minimal) maintained, inadequately furnished accommodation,

with no promised Internet for 9 months...

That's right. Why are we not allowed to freely work and take care of our families.

Cos your not a legal migrant that's why, is this such a hard concept to understand ?

whistling.gif The one they should seriously consider is to allow for a foreigner to get a self employed work permit and visa as long as:

• His or her income is earned only on-line and outside of Thailand.
  • That the person with such a visa and work permit must report the portion of their income they earn on-line and bring into Thailand to use as their living expenses while living in Thailand.
  • That that portion of their income which they bring into Thailand as income is taxable for Thai taxes at the same rate as it would be if earned locally in Thailand.
  • That the person residing in Thailand, and earning their living as a "self employed work permit on-line worker" would get a visa to reside in Thailand for at least a year ..... and such a visa may be renewed annually by showing evidence of filing the paperwork to pay the required Thai taxes annually.

That would enable a person who earns a high salary on line (such as software developers, journalists, writers, film producers and artists) to live and work from their computers on-line in Thailand legally.

As I tried to point out before, this will be a benefit to those people to live and work in Thailand productively, while enjoying the benefits in living in Thailand (lower costs, warmer climate, etc.)

At the same time Thailand would get the benefit of such on-line workers in the tax revenue their earnings from jobs outside of Thailand would bring to Thailand,

Such a visa would be a win-win situation ..... a win for Thailand in the increased tax revenue it would generate, and a win for the foreigners who would have the benefits of the lifestyle in Thailand.

But, I'm afraid that will never happen .... to much of a change to ever be made.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Who says he want's to work for a company ?

Think its more like to have the same rights as a Thai national when it concernes making a living .

I am married to a Thai national we got 2 kids , all 3 of them have double nationality , They have the same rights in Schengen states as I have , they can study or work if they like to .

Would be nice if i also was allowed to work without a hassle in Thailand ..

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif As a retiree, living in Thailand, it would be a great benefit for me to be able to do my 90 day reporting on-line from my computer.... using a personal I.D. number and a password to log into and report my address with out going to immigration every 90 days.

I would like that.

There were many meetings and much noise about removing street sellers.

The result is now have double as many, in Sukhumvit and they take up even more space .

Why do I bring it up? Because seems lots of talk and proposals but nothing has changed

The administration moves so quickly from one populist policy to the next with the onus and show over a week or two and then everything reverts to the way it was before.