Thai pharmacists to demand FDA review new drugs bill

webfact

Pharmacists to demand FDA review new drugs bill

10-8-2014-9-19-35-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A network of pharmaceutical profession is to submit an open letter to the secretary-general of the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) tomorrow demanding a review of the new pharmaceutical bill which the network claim will enable health officials besides pharmacists to concoct new formulas of drugs without prior permission from the Food and Drugs Committee or to prescribe dangerous drugs.

As a symbolic protest against the bill which is due to be debated by the National Legislative Assembly, pharmacists working at Songkhla and Hat Yai hospitals and ten other community hospitals in Songkhla briefly demonstrated today.

The network claimed that the new bill distorted the principle of pharmaceutical profession and would open a leeway for other medical practitioners besides pharmacists to prescribe dangerous drugs or to concoct new formulas of drugs in a way which would expose consumers to health threats.

The new bill will also make it possible for over-advertisements of drugs which is against international norm of practice, said the network.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pharmacists-demand-fda-review-new-drugs-bill/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-09

I suspect this is all about the supplements industry which is very much tied up (protectionism) by expensive licensing requirements.

Opening it up should be a good thing.

It also explains why something which can be bought for very little in the west, something like a bottle of Vitamin D supplements costs 500+ Baht from a reputable pharmacy in Thailand.

You can buy proper licensed tablets (antibiotics, etc) for a fraction of the cost of these supplements.

It's all about the money and who gets it and it should come as no surprise that they support the status quo because it's them who get the money.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

"I suspect this is all about the supplements industry which is very much tied up (protectionism) by expensive licensing requirements."

That point hit home when I came back from a trip to the west and went through customs at the airport here. I had 3 suitcases full of various goods, kitchen utensils and allowed food products. However, I was asked to open only one suitcase. The one that had my vitamins and supplements. I was told that I was only allowed to bring a one month's supply in with me. I explained that this was a one month's supply as prescribed by my physician back in the west, and they let me through. The cost of a 100 count of natural vitamin E capsules in the west cost me the equivalent of 300 baht in the west. Here it would cost me over 2000. The price discrepancy appears to be similar with all other supplements.

On the other hand, antibiotics and other prescribed drugs which cost a small fortune in the west are a mere fraction of that cost here. So I suppose the point of this is that it costs lot more to stay healthy and prevent illness than it costs become unhealthy and treated with pharmaceuticals. Go figure.

• Like 1

Thais, the sample being wife and her girlfriends, spend incredible amounts of money on "herbs" and other supplements. When I ask how she knows that it is "good," that is will help whatever is wrong, the response is always, Oh, Nong had friend who had problem and she took and now is better."

Supplements should have to prove that their products produce the outcomes that they claim. If they say it cures cancer, then they should have to have clinical trials that show that their product CAUSED a cure. If they cannot do then they cannot say their herb does anything and this should disclosure should be required on the label.

• Like 1

Thais, the sample being wife and her girlfriends, spend incredible amounts of money on "herbs" and other supplements. When I ask how she knows that it is "good," that is will help whatever is wrong, the response is always, Oh, Nong had friend who had problem and she took and now is better."

Supplements should have to prove that their products produce the outcomes that they claim. If they say it cures cancer, then they should have to have clinical trials that show that their product CAUSED a cure. If they cannot do then they cannot say their herb does anything and this should disclosure should be required on the label.

How about the baby powder ads that suggest by using that product your child will be more intelligent ?

If pharmacists are so concerned about effects on the health of the public they need look no further than those in their own profession who dispense some serious medication without a prescription or any suggestion of a medical examination but simply because they have it and the customer asks for it or it's suggested to them.

How about the baby powder ads that suggest by using that product your child will be more intelligent ?

If pharmacists are so concerned about effects on the health of the public they need look no further than those in their own profession who dispense some serious medication without a prescription or any suggestion of a medical examination but simply because they have it and the customer asks for it or it's suggested to them.

"How about the baby powder ads that suggest by using that product your child will be more intelligent ?"

You and your rampant imagination, again; "baby powder" adverts that are seen in the media all promote after-shower comfort and freedom from rash, not to mention the benefits of smelling good. None of them claim to make babies more intelligent.

"How about the baby powder ads that suggest by using that product your child will be more intelligent ?"

You and your rampant imagination, again; "baby powder" adverts that are seen in the media all promote after-shower comfort and freedom from rash, not to mention the benefits of smelling good. None of them claim to make babies more intelligent.

If they were truly honest, they would tout using natural corn or tapioca starch instead of the talc used in commercial baby powder. It is equally absorbent, has no artificial perfumes, and is a natural food product, thus it will have no ill effects if it is ingested. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against using baby powder because of the risk of respiratory problems. Baby powder can cause breathing trouble and serious lung damage if a baby inhales the particles. And the particles are small enough that it's hard to keep them out of the air during use. However, both of these products are readily available and cheap. Whereas commercial baby powders contain an enormous profit margin for both manufacturers and retail outlets selling it.

Edited by jaltsc

If people can choose for themselves, they at least have a chance of doing independent research and selecting a product for their specific symptoms and metabolic type. If only "experts" decide for everyone else, the chances of corrupting special interest influence is endlessly proven. Also, prescription drugs from experts are often harmful, unproven, or useless.

Health is very complicated. Licensed practitioners and experts are highly specialized and narrow in their expertise. No one can be an expert on your health but yourself. And that's a choice that requires work and effort. Those unwilling to do their own due diligence should not use political clout to restrict the increasing numbers of individuals who use modern information resources to guide personal health decisions.

The restriction of herbs and other supplements in Thailand is a terrible misallocation of power; it empowers a small monopoly and dis-empowers the larger populace who cannot obtain very useful, non-toxic remedies for most health issues.

• Like 1

Milk powder , duh.....

Didn't u get. You EFA Nestle nursing milk as a child. Formulated to turn little somchai into Einstein.

• Like 1

From what I've read under the current protectionist system if someone gets an FDA license to import and distribute a supplement they can use the license to do this themselves - only the license holder.

But if someone else wants to import and sell the exact same supplement they will also need to get their own FDA license / permit.

I wonder if the rule change makes this 'stupid' practice redundant ?

Formula powder ! You and your ramaapnt need to troll

While on the subject, the advertising and sale of skin whiteners by retail pharmacists is completely unethical in my opinion. Soon after moving here a few years and before learning something about Thai politeness I asked a pharmacist if she thought the cream worked. She said, "No, it does not work, but are are told to sell it." My wife, who was with me was completely shocked that I would ask such a question, but even more shocked at her response.