Pattaya hotels brace for drop

webfact

Pattaya hotels brace for drop
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION
PATTAYA

PATTAYA: -- HOTEL OPERATORS in Pattaya are expected to continue to suffer, judging from low advance bookings from overseas markets for the coming high season.

Meanwhile, the government is being urged to crack down on illegal operators in order to rebuild the city's image and lure tourists back.

Sanpech Supabowornsthian, president of the Thai Hotels Association (THA) Eastern Chapter, said tourist numbers in Pattaya would probably drop by 15-20 per cent during the coming high season. If that happens, tourism revenue will fall by 20-30 per cent from last year's peak season. The average occupancy rate would be around 70 per cent, lower than a year earlier when it was 80-90 per cent.

He said tourists from key markets such as Russia, China, Japan, India and Europe would shift to other destinations such as Phuket, Koh Samui and other beach resorts.

During the first eight months of this year, 6 million tourists entered Pattaya, down by 30-40 per cent from the same period last year. The top five sources were Russia, China, the Middle East, Germany and India. Several hotel operators have predicted that the city could lose about 2 million tourists this year.

During the first nine months, 2.8 million Thais travelled to Pattaya, compared with 3 million during the same period last year.

"This year's peak season will definitely not be better than the last three months of 2013. Key factors for the failure are the extension of martial law and an oversupply of rooms," he said.

Pattaya has 2,174 accommodation providers, representing about 139,000 rooms. But only a little over 12 per cent, or 274 operators with 40,000 rooms, have registered as hotels.

Sanpech said the huge number of available rooms in Pattaya could serve up to 40 million tourists per year, but in fact there are only 10 million arrivals each year. This has been causing a price war for years.

"One of the biggest problems for Pattaya is the room oversupply. International hotel chains are offering rates of just Bt3,000 per night, while local operators offer Bt900-Bt1,800 per night," he said.

The THA has urged the government and local administrative bodies to go after illegal operators in order to stop the price war that is hurting overall business. If the authorities followed this suggestion, the association says, operators would stay in business and Pattaya could regain quality tourists.

Sanpech, who is also assistant managing director of Unchaleewiwat Group - one of the biggest hoteliers in Pattaya with a total of 3,400 rooms - said the group was beginning a rebranding programme. The group operates eight properties under different brands, ranging from three to five stars. It plans to open its ninth property next year.

He said each of properties was taking care of its own marketing and mainly focused on the domestic market. However, once the group's rebranding is completed next year, some new strategies will be in action.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Pattaya-hotels-brace-for-drop-30245047.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-09

Quote: "One of the biggest problems for Pattaya is the room oversupply. International hotel chains are offering rates of just Bt3,000 per night, while local operators offer Bt900-Bt1,800 per night," he said.

The THA has urged the government and local administrative bodies to go after illegal operators in order to stop the price war that is hurting overall business. If the authorities followed this suggestion, the association says, operators would stay in business and Pattaya could regain quality tourists. Quote end.

I don't get it, they are pissed off that so called illegal operators charge 900-1800 baht per night and that is hurting overall business, well if those people can't get those room prices they might stay away. They should target people that are willing to spend 3000 per night instead. Price war is good for the customers but not for THA.

Well tough shit for THA.

What is a quality tourist anyway?? A rich person? I don't think many rich persons have holidays in Pattaya, they go to the Maldives and places like that where they wont get hassled by pick pocking lady boys and other persons sitting on the beach clearly high on drugs, talking to themselves.

• Like 1

'The THA has urged the government and local administrative bodies to go after illegal operators in order to stop the price war that is hurting overall business. If the authorities followed this suggestion, the association says, operators would stay in business and Pattaya could regain quality tourists.'

So, international tourists are to pay 3000 baht and not 800-1500 baht a night? What about competition?

Some places you can even cheaper. For some people that is what there travels are about; explore during the day/night, and a place to hang your head. But everyone still wants the best deal available.

If numbers are down then prices need to go down to attract the customer.

• Like 1

PATTAYA: -- HOTEL OPERATORS in Pattaya are expected to continue to suffer, judging from low advance bookings from overseas markets for the coming high season.

Meanwhile, the government is being urged to crack down on illegal operators in order to rebuild the city's image and lure tourists back.

It might not be the "illegal" (or cheap) operators that is doing the image of Pattaya damage, there is a chance that the constant scams, poor service and other things that have caused the damage. I would hazard a guess that even the "illegal operators" work hard to give their guests a good experience in spite of the prevailing conditions.

Don't worry THA. Your friends at TAT will soon come up with another 'gem'. Maybe something along the lines of "Sep Blatter has accepted our gift of a cheap copy diamond encrusted timepiece and will be moving the 2018 World Cup from Russia to Pattaya". This should keep the locals happy and boost the influx of roubles to THA.

Quote: "One of the biggest problems for Pattaya is the room oversupply. International hotel chains are offering rates of just Bt3,000 per night, while local operators offer Bt900-Bt1,800 per night," he said.

The THA has urged the government and local administrative bodies to go after illegal operators in order to stop the price war that is hurting overall business. If the authorities followed this suggestion, the association says, operators would stay in business and Pattaya could regain quality tourists. Quote end.

I don't get it, they are pissed off that so called illegal operators charge 900-1800 baht per night and that is hurting overall business, well if those people can't get those room prices they might stay away. They should target people that are willing to spend 3000 per night instead. Price war is good for the customers but not for THA.

Well tough shit for THA.

What is a quality tourist anyway?? A rich person? I don't think many rich persons have holidays in Pattaya, they go to the Maldives and places like that where they wont get hassled by pick pocking lady boys and other persons sitting on the beach clearly high on drugs, talking to themselves.

They simply don't like competition.

As for your assertion regarding 'quality tourists' the same could be said for the expats.

" Sanpech, who is also assistant managing director of Unchaleewiwat Group - one of the biggest hoteliers in Pattaya with a total of 3,400 rooms - said the group was beginning a rebranding programme. The group operates eight properties under different brands, ranging from three to five stars. It plans to open its ninth property next year. "

Yes it is that bad we are opening another hotel next year. sad.png

• Like 2

Thailand will continue on a downward spiral.

Thailand needs to understand it is not the only holiday destination.

Thailand needs to treat holiday-makers with respect.

Thailand needs to offer better security for holiday-makers.

Holiday-makers can see right-through the "fluff".

And the prices ? Madness !!

• Like 2

I don't go to Pattaya often, but have been going approximately once or twice a year since 1990. Based on my observations the number of tourists there has increased massively over the years. A stroll up walking street used to be quite easy; now, it is so crowded that you can barely walk a couple of steps without bumping into someone.

People in the Thai tourist industry seem to be constantly whining about how few tourists there are. If there is an over-supply of hotel rooms, maybe it's because they built too many goddamned hotels, not because there are too few tourists?

• Like 1

What i don't understand: If Thailand wants more Tourists, why then they do everything to scare off the Tourists?

Tourists seem to be taken for granted a lot of the time - almost a 'build it and they will come' mentality. The constant, sometimes ridiculous, pronouncements and figures from TAT don't exactly help.

• Like 1

Don't panic. Tourists will soon start flocking back when Pattaya's city fathers' vow to transform their seething sex tourist capital into a respectable family resort becomes a squeaky-clean reality.

I lived in Pattaya during the good old days when all the hotels were full and everybody was happy. I think you are mistaken. The area got too family friendly and the punters all left.

You must mean Bangkok. Have you ever been to Pattaya?

No, i have not, is it near Bangkok? or near Chiang Mai?

Go home. You quoted Bangkok prices not Pattaya.

If i recall correctly, not too long ago you stated you DID NOT live in Pattaya and were married, , may be care to explain how you know current prices in town where you do not livewhistling.gif

What on earth do the two have to do with one another? Do you think the bulk of Pattaya's business comes from single men who live in Pattaya? Wow , do I have some news for you. I lived in Pattaya for many years and still visit at least once a month. There has been no drastic increase in Pattaya prices that I am aware of although inflation has had an impact it is no where near the numbers an outsider like yourself has mentioned.

Tourism is going down the tubes in Thailand as a whole and Pattaya no longer has the loyal punter market that they used to because of the shift to family oriented Russian and Chinese and Thai things.

I know you don't live in Pattaya other than that I don't have a clue where you live.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

What on earth do the two have to do with one another? Do you think the bulk of Pattaya's business comes from single men who live in Pattaya? Wow , do I have some news for you. I lived in Pattaya for many years and still visit at least once a month. There has been no drastic increase in Pattaya prices that I am aware of although inflation has had an impact it is no where near the numbers an outsider like yourself has mentioned.

Tourism is going down the tubes in Thailand as a whole and Pattaya no longer has the loyal punter market that they used to because of the shift to family oriented Russian and Chinese and Thai things.

I know you don't live in Pattaya other than that I don't have a clue where you live.

In other words once again you posted uninformed rubbish and once again, now will troll to support your "opinion"

PS. in hope to make you look like a bigger fool, i do live in Pattaya and have done so for almost 15 years, owning 3 businesses for the entire time and having shares in few others.

• Like 1

In other words once again you posted uninformed rubbish and once again, now will troll to support your "opinion"

PS. in hope to make you look like a bigger fool, i do live in Pattaya and have done so for almost 15 years, owning 3 businesses for the entire time and having shares in few others.

Then why would you quote such unbelievable and false numbers? Why would you imply that only single men go to bars in Pattaya? Why would you accuse me of posting uninformed rubbish when the only false post in this exchange was from you? You know we can't discuss the specifics on Thai Visa and your post with bar fine amounts will probably be removed anyway.

Edited by thailiketoo

Then why would you quote such unbelievable and false numbers? Why would you imply that only single men go to bars in Pattaya? Why would you accuse me of posting uninformed rubbish when the only false post in this exchange was from you? You know we can't discuss the specifics on Thai Visa and your post with bar fine amounts will probably be removed anyway.

GO away! You do not live in Pattaya, you have not lived in Pattaya for a decade according to you. You are even too scared to reveal your location, which most likely is NOT even in Thailand.

You have not been in Go Go and have no clue about prices or what is going on around town, Your only source of information is google links

Stop trolling, getting boresome across all threads.

GO away! You do not live in Pattaya, you have not lived in Pattaya for a decade according to you. You are even too scared to reveal your location, which most likely is NOT even in Thailand.

You have not been in Go Go and have no clue about prices or what is going on around town, Your only source of information is google links

Stop lying. I never said I did not live in Pattaya for ten years. If I did post the link.

Why are you trying to inflate prices in Pattaya? If you have a business there why would you want to chase away business? A business owner in Pattaya trying to bash Pattaya? Makes no sense.

At least the new National Sport for tourist was found in Pattaya....

Ting Tong Balcony Jumping. laugh.png

They seem to have a popular thing going on there. Checking who can jump the further off the 2nd or 3rd floor balcony.. So far the Polish is in Top Ranking position....cheesy.gif Have your meat and potatoes and eat it.

The office is now open to take all bets,,,, Look like we have 4 aggressive contenders busy warming up here.... All bets, All bets now please....