US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital

webfact

Below is a link to a T.V. interview done yesterday I think - with the CDC Director .. anyone can listen to his words and draw your own conclusions ... personally I think much of what he says is talking points double speak...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3839649788001/cdc-director-our-information-is-clear-and-correct/#sp=show-clips

Note: I scanned to see if this link had been posted before ... didn't see it ... so I post now.

yes this is the interview i saw earlierthumbsup.gif

To me it seems obvious now that the nurse got Ebola because she followed the CDC protocols... no head covering, some exposed skin, etc. If I were doing the nursing work - I would insist on a full body suit with a buddy to monitor putting in on - decontaminating it - then take it off with the buddy watching ... It would seem that the CDC is downplaying the use of the suits because their use might scare people... It is easy to tell others "Don't worry - it will be okay" ... Sure Mr. CDC Director - you do it ...

• Like 2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medical Research Org CIDRAP: Ebola Transmittable by Air

The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that “there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles,” including exhaled breath.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/14/CIDRAP-Confirms-Ebola-Transmittable-by-Air

The highly respected Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota just advised the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) that “there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles,” including exhaled breath.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/14/CIDRAP-Confirms-Ebola-Transmittable-by-Air

Even my dull brain figured that out.

Below is a link to a T.V. interview done yesterday I think - with the CDC Director .. anyone can listen to his words and draw your own conclusions ... personally I think much of what he says is talking points double speak...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3839649788001/cdc-director-our-information-is-clear-and-correct/#sp=show-clips

Note: I scanned to see if this link had been posted before ... didn't see it ... so I post now.

my conclusions are what a load of baloney from this guy bah.gif

Dr T. Friedman “ You know, charter flights don't do the same thing as commercial airlines do “

Megan Kelly “ what do you mean - they fly in they fly out ? “blink.png

Frieden is simply nuts. "The more you put on, the bigger the risk."

• Like 1

Even my dull brain figured that out.

I was snickered at only yesterday by a fellow after I told him that expelled 'spittle' from a person when talking face to face - such as on a Airliner... could possibly transfer the Ebola virus... he said the doctor he read or saw on TV said that wasn't the case. My eyes just roll ... People are stuck on this 'airborne' thing and don't really have an idea of what it is and what it is not.

• Like 1

Nurses Union: Duncan Not Put In Isolation, Waste Piled Nearly Up to Ceiling

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta reported on further allegations made by a nurses union that Dallas Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan was not put into isolation, allowed his blood to circulate through the hospital’s tube system, and that waste “piled up nearly to the ceiling” inside patient’s rooms...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/10/14/Nurses-Union-Duncan-Not-Put-In-Isolation-Waste-Nearly-Piled-Up-to-Ceiling?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Being Ebola Ready ...

Presbyterian Hospital where Duncan died is going to have big financial problems - law suits - lost patients - who won't go there, etc. But looks like the CDC call for hospitals to ramp up for Ebola treatment is causing great concern about the high cost...

Dr, Betsy McCaughey was interviewed by Stuart Varney of FoxNews... Varney asked her about the cost factor...

Ebola Preparation ‘Will bankrupt my hospital!’ Director Reacts to CDC Prep Call

According to her, after the CDC outlined its preparation strategy, one hospital administrator responded, “What you’re telling us would bankrupt my hospital!” She said that the administrator represents a Southern California hospital.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/10/14/ebola-preparation-will-bankrupt-my-hospital-director-reacts-to-cdc-prep-call/

This situation has nothing to do with the president, it would have happened no matter who's in charge.

Just hearing that the president, yeah, the same one the situation has "nothing to do with", actually cancelled a fund-raising trip today to hold an emergency cabinet meeting on Ebola...

I guess we don't need to worry though; not until he cancels a tee-time.

Oh, and he still has confidence in Dr. Frieden. How DOES a healthcare worker who's treated Thomas Duncan and is SUPPOSED to be "monitored", manage to board a commercial flight and fly round-trip to Cleveland & back, anyway? "Self-monitoring" - is THAT the picture we should be getting?? Frontier Airlines management and fellow passengers very happy about that, I'm sure. And why does SHE now have to be flown to Atlanta instead of being treated at Texas Presbyterian?? Are U.S. hospitals "ready" as Frieden has been insisting, or aren't they?

Tic-tic-tic....

Just hearing that the president, yeah, the same one the situation has "nothing to do with", actually cancelled a fund-raising trip today to hold an emergency cabinet meeting on Ebola...

No, when this president cancels a fund-raiser... then it is time to worry.

When he cancels a golf-trip - then it is more likely that he has been given bad personal news - like he has cancer.

The public reaction to Mr. Duncan's death from Ebola after having arrived in the U.S. from Ebola ridden Liberia and likely the news of a nurse catching Ebola from Mr. Duncan while taking care of him - have apparently caused Americans to form a strong opinion relating to Ebola. I am not sure of the date of the poll but it seems it was done before this latest case of Ebola arising from Mr. Duncan's case was announced. The poll reveals that 67% polled would support restricted entry into the U.S. from the Ebola stricken West African countries and 91% favor stricter screening at U.S. Airports. I am not sure of how the people who wrote this article decided to use the '7-in-10' number as the 67% and 91% figures are quite impressive in and of themselves.

ABC Poll: Nearly 7-In-10 Americans Want Flight Restrictions From Ebola Countries…

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they are concerned about an Ebola outbreak in the United States, and about the same amount say they want flight restrictions from the countries in West Africa where the disease has quickly spread.

http://weaselzippers.us/202454-abc-poll-nearly-7-in-10-americans-want-flight-restrictions-from-ebola-countries/

It really won't do much good for just the U.S. to adopt such restrictions alone. If Ebola infiltrates and overwhelms the rest of Africa as it has West Africa, it will spread to Europe and the ME as well. After that, just a matter of time until it overcomes Asia, and eventually Central & South America. Once there, it storms across the border into the U.S.; both those running from it, and those with it hoping for medical salvation in the U.S.

Travel bans SHOULD be in place prohibiting travel to & from the affected countries except for medical aid workers and perhaps military personnel, and NOW, but that'll only provide some badly needed breathing room. The rest of the world needs to be pouring resources into W. Africa to stop Ebola THERE. Worry about whatever economic damage that does later. I read a post somewhere here at TV from someone claiming to have a lot of experience with the WHO and I think NGOs who subsist on government subsidies and aid. He was saying that this was all just a big show to pick the pockets of national governments. He couldn't have been more wrong or his thoughts more dangerous or irresponsible. I'm convinced what's going on in W. Africa is REAL, is growing, and won't remain confined to those current national borders if allowed to spin further out of control.

Closer to home, this Frieden clown needs to go, and though I have no idea how to make it happen, the prez needs to be prodded into finally starting to act like a leader. (Yeah, all crap aside, he DOES have something to do with it!)

It really won't do much good for just the U.S. to adopt such restrictions alone. If Ebola infiltrates and overwhelms the rest of Africa as it has West Africa, it will spread to Europe and the ME as well. After that, just a matter of time until it overcomes Asia, and eventually Central & South America. Once there, it storms across the border into the U.S.; both those running from it, and those with it hoping for medical salvation in the U.S.

Travel bans SHOULD be in place prohibiting travel to & from the affected countries except for medical aid workers and perhaps military personnel, and NOW, but that'll only provide some badly needed breathing room. The rest of the world needs to be pouring resources into W. Africa to stop Ebola THERE. Worry about whatever economic damage that does later. I read a post somewhere here at TV from someone claiming to have a lot of experience with the WHO and I think NGOs who subsist on government subsidies and aid. He was saying that this was all just a big show to pick the pockets of national governments. He couldn't have been more wrong or his thoughts more dangerous or irresponsible. I'm convinced what's going on in W. Africa is REAL, is growing, and won't remain confined to those current national borders if allowed to spin further out of control.

Closer to home, this Frieden clown needs to go, and though I have no idea how to make it happen, the prez needs to be prodded into finally starting to act like a leader. (Yeah, all crap aside, he DOES have something to do with it!)

I think heavy restriction of travel Visas to come to the USA is the best answer - easier to implement - no visa - no come to America... Duncan came by way of Brussels...Heavily controlling the issuance of Visas stops people from taking a route through the EU to get to America. I think a total moratorium on issuing visas to residents of the Ebola Stricken West African countries is called for.. .

I think heavy restriction of travel Visas to come to the USA is the best answer - easier to implement - no visa - no come to America... Duncan came by way of Brussels...Heavily controlling the issuance of Visas stops people from taking a route through the EU to get to America. I think a total moratorium on issuing visas to residents of the Ebola Stricken West African countries is called for.. .

It seems that flight restrictions WITHIN the USA are about to happen. American citizens involved with treating Ebola cases are going to be put on the No Fly List. They probably should be. But we now have the absurd situation where American citizens will be banned from flying within the US but people in Ebola ravaged West Africa will continue to get tourist visas and sail on through.

I wonder if it would help if the politicians actually got around to approving a US Surgeon General. Right now, there is only an acting SG. I think some leadership in the medical area of the gov't would be most welcomed.

This situation has nothing to do with the president, it would have happened no matter who's in charge.

Oh, and he still has confidence in Dr. Frieden. How DOES a healthcare worker who's treated Thomas Duncan and is SUPPOSED to be "monitored", manage to board a commercial flight and fly round-trip to Cleveland & back, anyway? "Self-monitoring" - is THAT the picture we should be getting?? Frontier Airlines management and fellow passengers very happy about that, I'm sure. And why does SHE now have to be flown to Atlanta instead of being treated at Texas Presbyterian?? Are U.S. hospitals "ready" as Frieden has been insisting, or aren't they?

Tic-tic-tic....

Gupta just explained that this nurse was not supposed to get on a commercial flight period during the monitoring period. She could only travel by charter or private flight service, but not on a commercial airliner.

According to Gupta, the nurse knew this and knew she should not have been on the plane to Cleveland in the first instance.

Very difficult to say if it is CDC with no protocols or just so many people involved that the law of averages means some will either not understand or just violate protocols.

That nurse should be ashamed of herself putting people at risk. Common sense for someone in health care industry to not jump on a commercial plane while under observation for something like Ebola.

When she called into CDC, on way back from trip she should have never taken, did she identify who she was, that she was being monitored and why she was being monitored when she asked about her temperature?

Again? She is a nurse and she knew or should have known what the potential issue was yet she still boarded that plane and put others at risk. A selfish act.

People are going to have to accept responsibility, use common sense and do the right thing, CDC can only do so much absent putting those in lockdown during monitoring periods. We have Snyderman breaking her isolation protocol and now this nurse selfishly exposing others to take a trip during her monitoring period. I am sure her trip could have waited.

Edited by F430murci

Nurses are charged with elevated duties of care to the public and this nurse knew or should have known not to get on that first flight to Cleveland. Obama may suck, CDC may suck, hospitals may suck and so on, but this is more reason people like this nurse and Snyderman who have been exposed and are being monitored need to step up, act responsibly and exercise some common sense to not selfishly place others in danger until they know they have been cleared.

Why she couldn't wait 21 days for her trip is astounding. What a selfish POS she is to place others in harms way when she should know better.

-----------

Frieden said Vinson shouldn't have flown because she helped care for Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan at Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas, and because another health worker who cared for Duncan had already been diagnosed with the virus.

"The CDC guidance in this setting outlines the need for what is called controlled movement. That can include a charter plane, a car, but it does not include public transport," Frieden said. "We will from this moment forward ensure that no other individual who is being monitored for exposure undergoes travel in any way other than controlled movement."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?c=&page=1

Edited by F430murci

Gupta just explained that this nurse was not supposed to get on a commercial flight period during the monitoring period. She could only travel by charter or private flight service, but not on a commercial airliner.

According to Gupta, the nurse knew this and knew she should not have been on the plane to Cleveland in the first instance.

Very difficult to say if it is CDC with no protocols or just so many people involved that the law of averages means some will either not understand or just violate protocols.

The Reuters news source is still reporting that she was given the ok to fly.... just because the the nurse lacks common sense (not sure common sense is common anymore anyways) does not absolve the CDC for giving permission.

(Reuters) - A second Texas nurse who has contracted Ebola told a U.S. health official she had a slight fever and was allowed to board a plane from Ohio to Texas, a federal source said on Wednesday, intensifying concerns about the U.S. response to the deadly virus.

I would be wary with Gupta deflecting criticism of the CDC since he must have Democratic connections (enough to be nominated for the post of Surgeon General by President Obama - but if I remember right his potential conflict of interest with drug companies made him unpalatable to some).

Edited by bkkcanuck8

And it starts....

An Air France plane is isolated at Madrid Airport because of a suspected Ebola case.

A passenger on an Air France plane carrying 180 passengers has reportedly been quarantined in Madrid after showing Ebola-like symptoms.

The crew on flight AF1300, which departed from Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, alerted authorities on the ground at Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport when the passenger complained of feeling unwell and was apparently shivering.

An Air France spokesperson told The Local the passenger has been isolated for medical checks. The passenger was reportedly coming from Africa and was on a connecting flight to Paris.

"Initial indications are that it’s not a case of Ebola," the spokesperson said. "We understand the passenger did not have a temperature."

Medical investigations are ongoing.

The spokesperson said the plane has been grounded in Madrid so it can be disinfected as a precautionary measure.

Spain's health ministry confirmed the Ebola emergency protocol had been set in motion but declined to give further details.

surely this is scandalous? ermm.gif How long are the American citizens going to keep tolerating this kind of misinformation from this administration?

*OBAMA REITERATES CHANCE OF EBOLA OUTBREAK IN U.S. EXTREMELY LOW

versus

"The nightmare scenario, I think, is right around the corner." Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, center, commander of U.S. Southern Command

http://news.usni.org/2014/10/07/southcom-commander-ebola-outbreak-central-america-haiti-nightmare-scenario

Do you even bother to read what you cite. For this one, you needed only read the headline to understand the General was talking about outbreak potential in Africa and Central America and never contradicted what Obama said about risk of outbreak in America being extremely low.

You do realize that when one says "Central America" they are not referring to Kansas, Dorothy or Toto. They are generally referring to areas between Mexico and South America.

I dislike Obama.. The news, media and politicians tell us daily that Obama is untrustworthy so you don' have to intentionally misquote articles to convince Americans to be skeptical regarding Obama statements.

Your level of dishonest surpasses that of Obama who at times simply seems indecessive, scared to act or do the wrong thing.

Actually, I can see the connection. Obama insists the chances of an ebola outbreak are low. At the same time, he has left the southern border not only virtually wide open. But we now take in people who walk up and claim to be unescorted minors. I can easily see a wave of central and south americans streaming across the border like army ants, with many infected among them.

You do know that Africa and South America are different places don't you?

surely this is scandalous? ermm.gif How long are the American citizens going to keep tolerating this kind of misinformation from this administration?

versus

"The nightmare scenario, I think, is right around the corner." Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly, center, commander of U.S. Southern Command

http://news.usni.org/2014/10/07/southcom-commander-ebola-outbreak-central-america-haiti-nightmare-scenario

Do you even bother to read what you cite. For this one, you needed only read the headline to understand the General was talking about outbreak potential in Africa and Central America and never contradicted what Obama said about risk of outbreak in America being extremely low.

You do realize that when one says "Central America" they are not referring to Kansas, Dorothy or Toto. They are generally referring to areas between Mexico and South America.

I dislike Obama.. The news, media and politicians tell us daily that Obama is untrustworthy so you don' have to intentionally misquote articles to convince Americans to be skeptical regarding Obama statements.

Your level of dishonest surpasses that of Obama who at times simply seems indecessive, scared to act or do the wrong thing.

Actually, I can see the connection. Obama insists the chances of an ebola outbreak are low. At the same time, he has left the southern border not only virtually wide open. But we now take in people who walk up and claim to be unescorted minors. I can easily see a wave of central and south americans streaming across the border like army ants, with many infected among them.

As has been explained before -- oh, forget it; it's just not worth going into this again. After you've caught up with this story, then maybe you should come back to this thread.

American medicine is supposedly the best in the world..... yet..... the CDC seems to be letting everyone down.....

They had more than 6 months to get ready for it, but I gather if it is not the Zombie Apocalypse they don't bother preparing....

Many American hospitals have improperly trained their staffs to deal with Ebola patients because they were following federal guidelines that were too lax, infection control experts said on Wednesday.

Federal health officials effectively acknowledged the problems with their procedures for protecting health care workers by abruptly changing them. At 8 p.m. Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued stricter guidelines for American hospitals with Ebola patients.
They are now closer to the procedures of Doctors Without Borders, which has decades of experience in fighting Ebola in Africa. In issuing the new guidelines, the C.D.C. acknowledged that its experts had learned by working alongside that medical charity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/us/lax-us-guidelines-on-ebola-led-to-poor-hospital-training-experts-say.html?_r=0

Edited by bkkcanuck8

versus

It has to do with the American southern border with Mexico... under obama little effort is made to restrict entry .. only in the last two weeks it has been officially reported by Border Agents that 10 ISIS terrorists were caught... Zydeco's comments are related to the fact that many many OTM's as they are called - Other than Mexicans are crossing into America.. .so it would be a natural course of events to seriously consider that residents of Ebola stricken West Africans would join in the free-for-all to cross into America ... to evade Ebola or to seek treatment.

under obama little effort is made to restrict entry .. only in the last two weeks it has been officially reported by Border Agents that 10 ISIS terrorists were caught...

So they aren't restricting entry, but detained 10 ISIS members? How does that work?

under obama little effort is made to restrict entry .. only in the last two weeks it has been officially reported by Border Agents that 10 ISIS terrorists were caught...

So they aren't restricting entry, but detained 10 ISIS members? How does that work?

How does that work ? It doesn't ... under the obama Administration Border Security is hit or miss and mostly miss. I can only assume that Border Agents decided to focus on something that could not be turned back under obama's near non existent Border Security policy... I can only suggest that you use Google or Bing and you will find the hits.

.. only in the last two weeks it has been officially reported by Border Agents that 10 ISIS terrorists were caught...

I think you mean "it has been claimed", because it was never "officially reported", except perhaps by the pitiful Infowars web site.

A GOP muppet by the name of Duncan Hunter made this absurd claim without any evidence.

Homeland Security's response:

“The suggestion that individuals who have ties to ISIL have been apprehended at the Southwest border is categorically false, and not supported by any credible intelligence or the facts on the ground,” a DHS spokesman said in a statement today. “DHS continues to have no credible intelligence to suggest terrorist organizations are actively plotting to cross the southwest border.”

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Chicog