Myanmar women arrested over illegal phone-call service

Lite Beer

Myanmar women arrested over illegal phone-call service
The Nation

RANONG: -- Eight Myanmar women have been arrested in Ranong province in connection with the case of a phone signal being hijacked to provide an illegal worldwide call service.

National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission chairman Thakorn Tanthasit yesterday said NBTC officials and police had conducted an under-warrant search of a three-storey commercial building in tambon Bang Non, following a report of someone illegally using the UHF 450-megahertz frequency from the premises.

During the search, police arrested eight female Myanmar "phone-call operators" and seized 37 telephones and books recording customers' recipient phone numbers.

They also found many antennas and 31 signal boxes on the building's sky deck, which after official inspection were confirmed to have been used in the unauthorised signal usage, he said.

NBTC senior official Charan Khaokaew said the illegal use of a phone signal to make worldwide calls had reportedly been going on for more than a year, with customers being charged Bt50 per minute.

The suspects now face charges of setting up a telecommunication station and using a frequency without permission.

A police investigation found that a Myanmar national had been renting the building for Bt20,000 a month as a "living quarters for employees".

Police are now looking for the head of the operation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-women-arrested-over-illegal-phone-call-ser-30245229.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-11

Actually, this has been going on for years, due to the lack of international telephone service for the general population in Myanmar.

Since Ranong is just across the border from Kawthaung township, some enterprising persons set up illegal VHF comms channels between Ranong and 'somewhere' in Ranong. The caller in Kawthaung connects via VHF to the call-centre in Ranong, where the call is then routed via the Thai network.

I know all this because I often hear the VHF telephone conversations on my VHF amateur transceiver when I drive up to Ranong - there are perhaps 4 separate frequencies in use.

Is the internet really that bad in Myanmar that VOIP won't work ?

When I worked in Yangon a couple of years back, I used to 'try' to make VOIP calls back to my family in Phuket. It was an excrutiating and frustrating process, with dropped calls, dalek voices, and continual 'hallo, hallo u hear me?".

For the sum of $5 (for a cappucino), I got access to the fast internet in the coffee lounge at Trader's Hotel....

50 Baht a minute, what a rip off.

Is the internet really that bad in Myanmar that VOIP won't work ?

Yes.

Was there twice early last year... no atm, no 7-11, no motorcycles allowed in Yangon city limits. Only crisp, flat, new US bills can be used in transactions along with the local currency. Same may apply for Euros, didn't use them to know for certain.

Edited by FM505