Suvarnabhumi Airport to continue improvement drive as it heads into 9th year

Lite Beer

Suvarnabhumi Airport to continue improvement drive as it heads into 9th year

BANGKOK, 11 October 2014 (NNT) – Airports of Thailand executives responsible for the management of Suvarnabhumi International Airport have pledged to continue making improvements to accommodate the country's integration into the ASEAN Economic Community next year.

Suvarnabhumi Airport marked its 8th year in service on September 28, 2014. Meanwhile, airport executives and policy makers aim to improve on services and facilities as the airport progresses into its ninth year.

Prasong Phunthanet, chairperson of Suvarnabhumi Airport, led a delegation of airport executives in introducing the new director for the airport. Mr. Praphon Patthanakitsakun is replacing Ms. Rawiwan Nettrakhawetsana, who retired on September 30.

The new director pledged to continue implementing the existing policies of the Airports of Thailand, in order to improve the quality of services and the facilities of Suvarnabhumi Airport to accommodate the aim of becoming the Asian region's aviation hub.

The improvements are also geared toward reinforcing the image of Suvarnabhumi being an 'Airport of Smiles', as well as to accommodate the country's integration into the ASEAN Economic Community.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-11 footer_n.gif

The place is an eyesore, a dump and the worst airport on the planet. It feels cold an unwelcoming and is bloody he'll to get around. Bulldoze the useless piece of junk

You obviously haven't flown through Riyadh airport in Saudi then.....wink.png

• Like 2

The airport itself is fine, it's big and airy and has all the facilities you could want. Generally the staff are pretty good too. Where, IMHO, it falls down is on organisation. Having been through several times this year with an onward connection I've been faced with what seems like; enter the airport at one end from your long haul flight, then walk the entire length of the airport to get to your domestic flight connection, approx. 1KM or more. Now I know other airports are guilty of this too, I remember walking forever at Heathrow for a Dublin flight, but this is a completely new airport, not one that has been extended/patched together over the years. (at this point I'd like to say CDG Paris is a dream compared to Heathrow)

I've seen many people confused by which direction to go in when they come off the long haul to catch the their onward flight. The first sign you see points in both directions for said connections, then a later sign, a couple of hundred yards on, then tells you which airline is where, leaving you a 50/50 chance of having to back track. Why not have that sign as the first one?!

The wife makes the joke that we don't need the connecting flight as we've walked there already tongue.png

At least the roof doesn't leak in the rain, unlike the brand new Malaga T3 which is seive like!

• Like 2

No complaints other than about the rather unfriendly immigration officials.

Coming off the plane into the land of smiles those people are the first Thai you come in contact with.

I sincerely hope the new executive will take note.

• Like 1

"The improvements are also geared toward reinforcing the image of Suvarnabhumi being an 'Airport of Smiles'"

Please, make me smile, next time I come to Suvarnabhumi and not have to stand and wait for hours on that horrible immigration queue.

I was in Istanbul yesterday so won't be complaining about Suvarnabhumi.

On arrival in Suvarnabhumi, Immigration was backed up to the ramp but all desks were manned (and ladied) and through in less than 15 minutes.

I'm sure, dear Costas, that you also have your views on Turkish airports.

Staying on topic, I don't think Suvarnabhumi was planned with expansion in mind; few of them ever are.

Edited by Bpuumike

AIRPORT OF SMILES??? Are you kidding me? The first thing I come across is the foul-looking immigration officers who despite my best efforts to be pleasant, even speaking Thai to them, remain sullen and expresionless, at best. Most of the time, they look like they hate what they are doing. Land of Smiles my behind, I say. Looks like they have something firmly stuck up their rear, the lot of them.

• Like 1

They are not educated to be pleasant, however they should.

Have you ever been at Schiphol airport?

A good example how they can be pleasant.

It can be done !!!!!

I have been through it a hundred times, last time was last monh. Never noticed as i could care less. They are not there to smile or ask how i have been.

• Like 1

Staying on topic, I don't think Suvarnabhumi was planned with expansion in mind; few of them ever are.

Suvarnabhumi was planned with three phases, only the first of which has been built. There has been some periodic noise about starting on the second phase but with all of the changes in government, nothing much has ever come of expanding.

• Like 1

Suvarnabhumi was planned with three phases, only the first of which has been built. There has been some periodic noise about starting on the second phase but with all of the changes in government, nothing much has ever come of expanding.

Do you think it really needs it?

I'm no expert but as mentioned, Suvarnabhumi was operating at capacity upon opening so I would imagine that it probably needs at least the second phase anyway.

• Like 2

"The improvements are also geared toward reinforcing the image of Suvarnabhumi being an 'Airport of Smiles'"

Please, make me smile, next time I come to Suvarnabhumi and not have to stand and wait for hours on that horrible immigration queue.

Haven't been through there in a few months have you....

The place is an eyesore, a dump and the worst airport on the planet. It feels cold an unwelcoming and is bloody he'll to get around. Bulldoze the useless piece of junk

A quite ridiculous statement. It's not an outstanding airport by any means and it does have it's flaws, but it's not that bad. I travel a lot and I'd take Suvarnabhumi over dozens of other airports any day.

You want a dump of an airport? Try Manila. Try KLIA 2.

• Like 2

Coming off the plane into the land of smiles those people are the first Thai you come in contact with.

Generally this is true, but which country does have smiling friendly immigration officials?

Last time through I had written the wrong visa number. I was very surprised when the immigration officer pointed it out in perfect English (calling me "sir") with a big smile and helped me put the correct number in.

I guess he was probably new....

• Like 1

Yes !

The chaos whenever one runway is closed, amply demonstrates the need for the third-runway to be completed, and perhaps the first extension to the terminal-facilities may be needed by the time it's completed ?

Unless we all switch to flying LCC from Don Muang, that is.

Personally I hope that the new manager will notice, and then do something about, the enforced 1.5 km long-march past all the King Power outlets, to transfer from Domestic-gates to International-Transfer & Gates beyond ?

Mind you, the art-work really is quite good, these days !

• Like 1

You obviously haven't flown through Riyadh airport in Saudi then.....wink.png

That is a palace compared to Ghungzou in China or Mumbai India.

It can be done !!!!!

One of my favorite passenger friendly airports.

• Like 1

It can be done !!!!!

AMS is good, but I once spent over an hour in a queue at immigration, so it's not perfect..

Generally this is true, but which country does have smiling friendly immigration officials?

Last time through I had written the wrong visa number. I was very surprised when the immigration officer pointed it out in perfect English (calling me "sir") with a big smile and helped me put the correct number in.

I guess he was probably new....

Yes, they aren't there for customer service. It's good when they are pleasant though.

• 3 weeks later...