My Encounter with the Parking Police Today (by Tuk.com)

oneday

I knew there was some kind of parking rules for different days of the week on Pattaya Tai by Tuk.com, but I just don't go down there enough so it wasn't on my mind. After conducting my business in Tuk.Com I came back out to my nightmare during a hot day in Pattaya.

I came out to my bike to find it locked. I never saw the ticket stuck in my handlebars until it all dawned on me what people were saying to me and why my bike was having problems driving away. The bike had been locked by the police. I thought, “OK, fair play” I screwed up, but then these police came over and told me I had to go to the police station and pay the fine and when I came back they would unlock the bike. I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t just take my license, as they do on all police stops for ticketing, and then let me use my bike to go to the station to pay the fine.

So I had to get a motorbike taxi to get to the station, pay the fine and get back to my bike. All of that took no more than 15 minutes. It really was rather quick. However, by the time I got back to where my bike was supposed to be…IT WAS GONE!!! I suspected it had been moved to what we call an impound lot in the US, but I just couldn’t believe these #@$@ police had done it so quickly after assuring me all I had to do was pay the fine, come back and they would unlock it.

My next move was to sit down, call my GF who was on the road to her home in Issan and discuss the matter with her. She would call the police, but she needed the license number of the bike. I decided to back to our house, get the license number from the Green Book and send it to her. In the meantime, some of the motorbike taxi guys said the police probably took it to Soi Go Pai, but I’m not sure they knew exactly where it was so I just had them take me home. You also get so much bad information in this country I had to double check what they were saying.

My girl called back shortly after getting the license number and told me it had indeed been taken to Soi Go Pai so I went back out and called a local motorbike taxi guy over and explained the situation to him. His English and my Thai were good enough for him to understood. This guy was a young, very pleasant person which was nice to encounter after the hassles I had been going through. He first stopped on Go Pai to ask some other motorbike taxi people where this lot was because he said it looked like it had been moved. He had to stop and ask one more time and then he found it way at the end of this unmarked street. He said to let him do the talking because they sometimes want too much money. He came back and said it would be 200 baht to get my bike back. The nice motorbike taxi guy said goodbye as they pulled my bike up and then I was finally back on my bike and on my way home. All told, this lesson cost me 790 baht with the parking fine, taxis and impound lot fees.

It was a really bad feeling being without my bike. I have really come to depend on it taking me wherever I want or need to go at anytime of the day or night.

So if you are going down by Tuk.Com on Pattaya Tai pay attention to the parking signs or just notice which side of the street seems to have very few cars or bikes and avoid having a costly day like me.

The best way is to look at the signs rather than where the other bikes are parked. The signs clearly state which side not to park on - on either even or odd dates. They also do this on Walking Street, which is a fair system for retailers.

Is it possible they knew they were leaving soon so they didn't want to wait for you to come back?

You were actually quite lucky to get in and out of the police station so quickly. When it's busy it can take hours to pay your fine.

How much was the parking ticket?

Yes, I should have looked at the signs, but I thought I had explained that. I also said "fair play" I made a mistake...it's what came after that I object to. Making the offender walk or get a taxi to the police station and then confiscating the bike within 15 minutes of me leaving to pay the fine. That's just being mean and nasty with them knowing you have to pay even more money to get the bike back from the impound lot in some hard to find location and knowing the sinking feeling you will have when you return and see your bike gone.

Three people were processing fines today. There were 5 people ahead of me. It went quickly.

All the fines are 400 baht except for a few at 1000 bath such as running a red light or reckless driving and there is one fine for 600 that I can't remember what it was for.

Actually the local parking police did not speak English and were not really interested in talking to me so I have no idea what their time table or intentions were as to when they were going to leave the area and collect all the bikes, but they left a clear impression, as translated by some friendly Thai that were trying to help, that they would be there to unlock the bike when I returned from paying the fine. There was ZERO mention of getting my bike from an "impound lot".

I guess the point of the story is to hear how others would feel about that happening to them and it's a warning to others living in Pattaya who might have other things on their mind when heading down to that area and thinking about parking on Pattaya Tai. If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it.

I'm not willing to give these police a break. They must have some better method of notifying people that their bike was taken by the police to an impound lot and not stolen. You don't think that at least briefly I thought my bike had been stolen. They had every opportunity to mention it to the two Thai people who were talking to them for me. They certainly knew they were going to be putting the bikes on a truck VERY soon.

Some 20 years ago,in Pattaya,I had my bike stolen by the cops! I parked it in a correct place,left it for 5 minutes and when I got back it was gone.I did see a police pick-up with a bike on it,but did not reflect over that at that moment.I went to report it,but nobody was interested.Some time later it was in BKK Post;a gang of police were cought stealing bikes!

oneday

Something similar happened to my wife a couple of years ago. I rarely go down there but, when I do, whether it's on bike or car I go to the waste ground car park just up soi bukhow (?) and turn right.

20 baht, but peace of mind. All this stuff about better relations with tourists etc. given out from the high alter in Bangkok, is just a load of nonsense.

Should have offered a nearby cop,or motorbike taxi guy 200 or 300 baht to get it unlocked,have done that before,but the cops seem more interested in getting the money in lately.

Yes had my licence taken in exchange for keeping the bike,still at the cop shop eight months later,but will go and collect it and pay the 400 baht fine one day soon

I guess the point of the story is to hear how others would feel about that happening to them and it's a warning to others living in Pattaya who might have other things on their mind when heading down to that area and thinking about parking on Pattaya Tai. If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it.

I'm not willing to give these police a break. They must have some better method of notifying people that their bike was taken by the police to an impound lot and not stolen. You don't think that at least briefly I thought my bike had been stolen. They had every opportunity to mention it to the two Thai people who were talking to them for me. They certainly knew they were going to be putting the bikes on a truck VERY soon.

"If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it."

As usual, if the police enforce the law the self-righteous farang gets in a tizzy and if they fail to enforce the law the self-righteous farang get in a major tizzy about them not helping to keep traffic moving on Pattaya Tai.

If they collected the fine on the spot, all the non-original thinkers would be blathering on and on about tea money.

Every day, especially on market days, they have to ticket and lock loads of bikes and cars. Do you really expect them to run a boutique notification & home delivery service for everyone they ticket?

In the US where I come from if you park in a clearly marked tow-away zone, a 300 pound gorilla in a tow truck, packing a gun and a baseball bat will remove your car. He won't be a policeman, but someone contracted by the city and if you want to get too heated about it you'll understand what the baseball bat is for, They don't leave a note telling you your car was towed, although in a few weeks if it hasn't dawned on you, you'll probably get something in the mail telling you to come get it.

Edited by Suradit69

Sorry to hear but I think this hassle can be common place when an infringement takes place. Thing are never straight forward even after assurances.

I would love to have a bike in Pattaya but don't feel comfortable riding around. Accident pronesad.png .

oneday

Something similar happened to my wife a couple of years ago. I rarely go down there but, when I do, whether it's on bike or car I go to the waste ground car park just up soi bukhow (?) and turn right.

20 baht, but peace of mind. All this stuff about better relations with tourists etc. given out from the high alter in Bangkok, is just a load of nonsense.

Me too, or on market day Tuesdays and Fridays park next to the market, again only 20 baht and a short walk to Tuk Com. By the way what a complete nightmare of a place to park sometimes you have to ride around and around the place until someone pulls out of their space, hopefuly the new Pat Klang, Tuk Com should be much easier to park outside.

You're just going to have to give the police a break because there's nothing else you can do. What they did to you is nothing compared to other things they get up to - unfortunately it's something you're just going to have to get used to. What happened to you is no surprise at all to anyone who has had dealings with the police here.

I always pay meticulous attention to where I park my bike as I know it's easy to lose it if you park it in the wrong place.

Should have offered a nearby cop,or motorbike taxi guy 200 or 300 baht to get it unlocked,have done that before,but the cops seem more interested in getting the money in lately.

Yes had my licence taken in exchange for keeping the bike,still at the cop shop eight months later,but will go and collect it and pay the 400 baht fine one day soon

... or when you go to pay your yearly registration. You will need to go to the cop station to pay your fine before they will release a new registration sticker.

In the US where I come from if you park in a clearly marked tow-away zone, a 300 pound gorilla in a tow truck, packing a gun and a baseball bat will remove your car. He won't be a policeman, but someone contracted by the city and if you want to get too heated about it you'll understand what the baseball bat is for, They don't leave a note telling you your car was towed, although in a few weeks if it hasn't dawned on you, you'll probably get something in the mail telling you to come get it.

What is the gun for? He's going to shoot people who want their cars back?

OP"s post is a reminder to all of us riding and parking our bikes down town Pattaya to be careful where parking it.

I noticed that the police have a "sweeper" team on beach road, towing bikes away and lock up cars parked on the spots marked with red and yellow.

I think the yellow area is for buses only.

City hall must be earning good money on this as it's a never ending cash flow for them and people just keep on parking there which is odd.

Living here for app 10 years and no parking tickets so far but I do as others: Park my bike or truck very carefully and often pays 20 baht for parking my truck.

Have to say I am delighted to see the police finally doing something about all the illegal parking. What I would really like would be for them to get rid all the motorbikes for rent that take up about 70% of what would otherwise be available parking space. Not in the Tukcom area, (before someone jumps on me!) but all along Beach and 2nd Roads.

Hi.

I didn't hear that the place where they put all removed bikes and cars has changed/move ?

Here is the place off Soi Kho Phai on Google Map

You can see cars & bikes on the map wink.png

PS: I am very happy with the job the Police makes on South Road.

They are very persistent about it.

Not just another rule/action who is forgotten after a few weeks wink.png

Thanks for the Tip, it's always a pain but. I guess the actually cost was the time and frustration as opposed to £18 750tb

In England I got busted £200 quid for doing 33 in a 30 zone. I also had to go on a speed awareness course which I had to re-book because the dates clashed. . .. Another £100 booking fee. 555 look back and laugh now

"If this had just been a pay ticket, get bike unlocked, go home story I wouldn't have even posted it."

As usual, if the police enforce the law the self-righteous farang gets in a tizzy and if they fail to enforce the law the self-righteous farang get in a major tizzy about them not helping to keep traffic moving on Pattaya Tai.

If they collected the fine on the spot, all the non-original thinkers would be blathering on and on about tea money.

Every day, especially on market days, they have to ticket and lock loads of bikes and cars. Do you really expect them to run a boutique notification & home delivery service for everyone they ticket?

What's self righteous got to do with this. I don't know whether you realise we are in Pattaya and not the U.S. I doubt anyone cares or wishes to read what you do in the U.S.

Run a boutique notification and home delivery service. Queer one.

The OP is telling us the story to be alert should it happen to us. We now know where our bike has been removed to.

Since a couple of years ago, the signs on South Pattaya road for "odd day/even day" were in Thai only (which would be the rule in upcountry) tongue.png

Same for "left turn wait for light" only in Thai since a while ago.

Popular farang traps.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I think Rule #1 is that if you find any street in Pattaya where parking is plentiful, look around and you will easily find the reason why. If I am not forced to crowd my bike into a small spot, I know something is up. And yes, they are busy towing bikes and cars every day on Pattaya Tai. This has been going on for 6 months, but if you don't go there often, you may have missed it. Number two, I have seen hundreds of people receive tickets, and I have never seen them take the plate. They always keep the bike until you come back from paying your fine at the police station with a receipt. Do you remember where you saw them take the plates instead? It would be interesting to know.

On another note, I wish they would just close Second Road for two days, tow any vehicles that are still there, and get that road paved quickly and correctly. Sorry I changed the subject.

Hi.

I didn't hear that the place where they put all removed bikes and cars has changed/move ?

Here is the place off Soi Kho Phai on Google Map

You can see cars & bikes on the map wink.png

PS: I am very happy with the job the Police makes on South Road.

They are very persistent about it.

Not just another rule/action who is forgotten after a few weeks wink.png

Good work! A picture is worth a 1000 words.

That's a convenient location for any vehicles impounded from Tuk Com.

Here's some street views:

post-34982-0-47427700-1413183469_thumb.j

post-34982-0-63971300-1413183682_thumb.j

Edited by tropo

I think Rule #1 is that if you find any street in Pattaya where parking is plentiful, look around and you will easily find the reason why. If I am not forced to crowd my bike into a small spot, I know something is up. And yes, they are busy towing bikes and cars every day on Pattaya Tai. This has been going on for 6 months, but if you don't go there often, you may have missed it. Number two, I have seen hundreds of people receive tickets, and I have never seen them take the plate. They always keep the bike until you come back from paying your fine at the police station with a receipt. Do you remember where you saw them take the plates instead? It would be interesting to know.

On another note, I wish they would just close Second Road for two days, tow any vehicles that are still there, and get that road paved quickly and correctly. Sorry I changed the subject.

Of course they take the plate number - it's on the ticket. If you don't pay the fine you'll be forced to pay it next time the bike is registered - and you'll pay more to cover administration costs.

Edited by tropo

Of course they take the plate number - it's on the ticket. If you don't pay the fine you'll be forced to pay it next time the bike is registered - and you'll pay more to cover administration costs.

Yes, of course they read the plate number of the bike and put it on the ticket. I said "take, not write it down". You even used the word "take". I misread the OP stating " I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t just take my license, as they do on all police stops for ticketing, and then let me use my bike to go to the station to pay the fine. I used to drive into Mexico from the states, and the police in Mexico would physically take your license plate off of your car, and keep it until you bought it back. I mistakenly thought he was referring to something like that as being preferable. I even asked "Do you remember where you saw them take the plates instead?" Kao jai?

Yes, of course they read the plate number of the bike and put it on the ticket. I said "take, not write it down". You even used the word "take". I misread the OP stating " I couldn’t believe they wouldn’t just take my license, as they do on all police stops for ticketing, and then let me use my bike to go to the station to pay the fine. I used to drive into Mexico from the states, and the police in Mexico would physically take your license plate off of your car, and keep it until you bought it back. I mistakenly thought he was referring to something like that as being preferable. I even asked "Do you remember where you saw them take the plates instead?" Kao jai?

Sorry, I never considered the physical removal of the plates.

Was in traffic on Tai, headed towards 3rd Road and just short of Tukcom last week. A car stopped opposite me on the Tukcom side and a young blond, possibly Russian, lady exited the car and was headed towards Tukcom. A couple of food sellers caught her attention and managed to persuade her that parking where she was would be a bad idea.

So, she got back in the car and went one further block towards 2nd Road and, can you believe, she parked up again. Then locked up and headed back towards Tukcom.

By that that time the traffic was moving but I would have loved to have been around when she returned to where she had parked her car. My guess is that it would have been well spotted by the local plod and, no doubt, made the food sellers think 'stupid farang!!'

Was in traffic on Tai, headed towards 3rd Road and just short of Tukcom last week. A car stopped opposite me on the Tukcom side and a young blond, possibly Russian, lady exited the car and was headed towards Tukcom. A couple of food sellers caught her attention and managed to persuade her that parking where she was would be a bad idea.

So, she got back in the car and went one further block towards 2nd Road and, can you believe, she parked up again. Then locked up and headed back towards Tukcom.

By that that time the traffic was moving but I would have loved to have been around when she returned to where she had parked her car. My guess is that it would have been well spotted by the local plod and, no doubt, made the food sellers think 'stupid farang!!'

Apart from keeping the street clear, which is a good thing, it's a good earn for tow trucks and storage facilities.

I know a lot of people lambast Thailand for being backward, but they're not too bad at collecting revenue if there's an opportunity at hand. You can't blame them for that. If you always take care where you park you won't be funding any of these programs. Stay away from stripes of any colour and bike taxi stands, and ask if you park near street vendors so that you won't incur anyone's wrath... and it's a good idea never to leave your bike feeling isolated & lonely. You could end up without a motorcycle and wish you only had to pay a parking ticket.biggrin.png

If you have a very new, shiny bike, pay even more attention to where you leave it. I prefer the comfort of a less shiny, older, less conspicuous model - something which doesn't stand out in a crowd... and something which can get scratched without bothering me too much. Always bear in mind that your bike will be moved by other people and scratches are inevitable.

Same happened to me left parked bike outside family mart next to wonderful bar 2nd rd pattaya yes i was on yellow white kerb so i shouldnt have parked but at the time didnt realise. Ate my queteow gai went for my bike.. Gone, man make soup say oh police take i thought why didnt you tell me. But never mind was a complete nightmare to get it back mustv been 2000 bikes at compound i was told to go find mine amongst them. Lesson learnt