Qantas New Charges

Lozza

Qantas now charges $25 for window seating and $90 for aisle seats. It is charged separately from your ticket. They email you with your booking confirmation and another email to take you through to seat selection and payment.. So two credit card fees.

You only find out these changes when you get through to the payment process.

I should have realised when I was thinking of booking through expedia, skyscanner. On reaching the payment page it states the airline will do your seat selectio which I thought odd and chose to terminate the booking and go directly through Qantas.

Not happy Jan

"Qantas now charges $25 for window seating and $90 for aisle seats."

Dont you mean that they charge that if you want to pre-book those seats? Several airlines have extra charges for pre-booking certain seats.

If you just roll up on the day and get one (if still available) then there should be no special charge.

Remember the good ol' days when your ticket (any airline) covered the cost of baggage, meals, seating you selected, just everything. Then the airlines decided let's start charging for an much individual stuff as possible and we'll say it's in order to keep the basic ticket price low. But when the dust settles, total ticket costs added-up you are paying more for your ticket than ever before. I haven't flown for a few years now...do they charge you to go to the bathroom yet?

• Like 1

Remember the good ol' days when your ticket (any airline) covered the cost of baggage, meals, seating you selected, just everything. Then the airlines decided let's start charging for an much individual stuff as possible and we'll say it's in order to keep the basic ticket price low. But when the dust settles, total ticket costs added-up you are paying more for your ticket than ever before. I haven't flown for a few years now...do they charge you to go to the bathroom yet?

Yep, by the kilo.

• Like 1

isnt there an airline that flies with the passengers standing up & but you can pay extra for a seat!

i got a few ideas that should put me on a higher salary than joyce.

how about you pay extra for the emergency oxygen mask, then when the mask drops you pay extra for the oxygen.

what about pay extra for use of emergency escape chute.

pay extra for not being injured by mad cabin attendants smashing service trollies into your knees when sleeping.

its endless really.

• Like 1

It is worth checking to see if your Qantas flight is a code share with Emirates.

I recently Booked a london BKK QF flight and subsequently realised it was in fact an Emirates flight.

If you go into manage my booking on the Emirates website , you can also find your EK locator number.

I was then able to select seats etc.

I would also add that the QF fare, was about £100 cheaper than if I had booked with Emirates.

I booked with Netflights UK

I have flown extensively with Emirates and Qantas I prefer Qantas return trip as it arrives in BKK 3.45pm and Emirates 11.55pm. The flight I'm on is not share coded with Emirates

When I looked at the seating availability on Emirates it was practically full for my dates in January.

I have paid for my seats. I seriously don't believe when I'm sitting in them, they will then refund me.

I am also aware of the sneaky Jetstar being slipped in. Got caught once, it was a trip from hell with end of year students trip. My plastic packaged bread roll was thrown at me.

Letting the staff know I booked and paid Qantas fare was met with you're entitled to a meal but that's it.

To me it's like booking and paying to hire a Mercedes and getting a Datsun.

This is confirmed I just flew Sydney to Singapore and any advance seat arrangements is chargeable as mentioned

At the terminal you can still request for any seat for free but it puts a bummer if you are planning a family trip and want everyone seated in a particular row and its a full flight

Just out of curiosity - is there ant indication this will also apply to Emirates as well ? I normally choose aisle seat as i have had a hip operation and i do not want to inconvenience others when i need to get out.

Edited by xen

Below is from the Qantas website.

You are also exempt the payment if you web check in.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/check-in-seat-selection/global/en

Using Advance Seat Selection online, you can select window, aisle or other seats after payment for your flight has been made for just $25 per sector on international flights

Available after payment for your flight has been made at qantas.com, Advance Seat Selection is complimentary if:

• You are travelling on any Qantas operated domestic service.
  • You are travelling internationally in First, Business or Premium Economy cabins.
  • You are a Platinum, Gold or Silver Frequent Flyer or equivalent oneworld Frequent Flyer.
  • You are on the same booking and travelling with any of the above mentioned travellers

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/advance-seat-selection/global/en

$25 "per sector." So, in a round trip with one stop each way that equates to four sectors (i.e., legs) or a $100 higher price for advance seat selection. Yeap, new ways being thought of to increase the final ticket price.

I wonder what the bathroom use cost per kilo will be priced at...maybe it would be cheaper just to wear diapers.

Welcome to the world of auxiliary charges with so much collected led by American branded Airlines ...it's now such a lucrative pie of revenue no business can say no to

Thanks Uncle Sam yet again for making air travel such a joy !

First TSA checks then toiletries patrol , empty water bottle, no belts and shoes , jackets off , air vacuum screening , pay for food , luggage fees, seat selection fees and wifi ....the last bastion will be to allow smoking and phone calls and that will end any last dreams on the mystique of air travel

Welcome to the world of auxiliary charges with so much collected led by American branded Airlines ...it's now such a lucrative pie of revenue no business can say no to

First TSA checks then toiletries patrol , empty water bottle, no belts and shoes , jackets off , air vacuum screening , pay for food , luggage fees, seat selection fees and wifi ....the last bastion will be to allow smoking and phone calls and that will end any last dreams on the mystique of air travel

FYI it's not uncle Sam that initiated this trend but the low cost carriers like Ryan Air etc.

Yermanee wai.gif

Below is from the Qantas website.

You are also exempt the payment if you web check in.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/check-in-seat-selection/global/en

Using Advance Seat Selection online, you can select window, aisle or other seats after payment for your flight has been made for just $25 per sector on international flights

Available after payment for your flight has been made at qantas.com, Advance Seat Selection is complimentary if:

• You are travelling on any Qantas operated domestic service.
  • You are travelling internationally in First, Business or Premium Economy cabins.
  • You are a Platinum, Gold or Silver Frequent Flyer or equivalent oneworld Frequent Flyer.
  • You are on the same booking and travelling with any of the above mentioned travellers

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/advance-seat-selection/global/en

Yes, this will probably create a run on the web checkin 24 hours before departure.

• Like 1

FYI it's not uncle Sam that initiated this trend but the low cost carriers like Ryan Air etc.

Yermanee wai.gif

Exactly they are low cost carriers and are expected to pick and charge for every penny

American Delta United were all full service lines that saw how much money to be made and started that and from there it spread to other full service lines like Qantas ...Qantas is not Jetstar, Nok Air or Air Asia