Britain summons Thai envoy over Koh Tao tourist murder probe

webfact

I fully agree. And whilr they are at it, appoiny a spokesman for the pm as well, he really needs one. Perhaps organise a think tank of a dozen bright and intelligent nerds to feed them the correct verbatim might help a lot too...

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. The Thai authorities already laid out the plan out of this mess: suicide of the Myanmar youngsters. Case will be closed and face not lost. Very easy and utterly disgusting.

That would appear to be typical... For example the case against the RTP officer charged last year with human trafficking where the victim, a Rohingya woman was raped multiple times by the refugee camp translator, then left deserted by the side of the road with her two children has been dropped because the victim has disappeared.

i truly still believe that the UK aint got no real power to MAKE the Thai govt do as they please.

I don't believe another country has the power to make another country do according to its demands... (with the exception of the US maybe)

This case has been dragged for wayyyy too long. Dogged with multiple loopholes as well...

I think this will just lead to a not so happy ending, so that our hosts, Thailand, will be able to save face, as usual

Possible scenarios:

1) the 2 burmese men suddenly "commit suicide" in their cells from the immense "guilt" and stress.

2) the UK police actually sends a team to KT island, and they too are brutally and silently murdered by the Mafia in charge of the island.

3) the RTP suddenly comes up with some magical witnesses and evidence to link to other Burmese killers, saying that the initial 2 burmese guys were threatened by them to the scapegoats.

"i truly still believe that the UK aint got no real power to MAKE the Thai govt do as they please.

I don't believe another country has the power to make another country do according to its demands... (with the exception of the US maybe)"

Actually they do have some weapons in their diplomatic arsenal. They can threaten to shut down British tourism to Thailand. Brits make up a large chunk of the westerners going to Thailand to holiday. Much the same way the Americans closed down Americans visitng Burma/Myanmar for years by making it illegal to travel there. I doubt the Thais would like a boycott by this large of a tourist segment that would affect their income, especially with the recent news that the tourism industry here is taking a big loss of tourism due to the martial law still being in place (up to 20 to 30 % I just read today. Threatening to hit them in the pocketbook may have an effect on how the Thais respond to these 'requests' from the British government. Hit them where it will hurt them the most, or at least play hardball and make the threat and see what the response is.

If the UK really wanted to stir the pot over this they could recall their Ambassador, close the Embassy and make it illegal for Britain's to visit the Kingdom and tell the British expats there that they're on their own to deal with the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok if they need help.

That would rattle a few cages.

• Like 1

They couldn't really say anything until the suspects were charged , Look a bit silly if 4 weeks ago they'd have said 'Actually we think you're doing a pooh job and are clueless as to who are the perpetrator's " Only for a Thai Starsky and Hutchesque crime busting master stroke to show they were on the right track and we were being beastly and anti Thai police

What they have done is wait for them to charge the suspects , thus proving they are pooh and removing any risk to Her Majesty's Police Force

Edited by ExPratt

Why does Britain wait till now ? The British Embassy and British government should have been in at the beginning . Britain had a right to insist on British police helping Thai police and for British Forensic scientists to simultaneously examine the evidence and test the DNA . In view of Two British people being horrifically murdered in Thailand , even the Coup Military Government should soften to permit a British participation from the beginning . A skilled British Forensic Police team could have worked alongside the Thai police and have been a great help to them , in what has been a very difficult task .

The thai authorities don't want the real culprits to be exposed though do they...

Why does Britain wait till now ? The British Embassy and British government should have been in at the beginning . Britain had a right to insist on British police helping Thai police and for British Forensic scientists to simultaneously examine the evidence and test the DNA . In view of Two British people being horrifically murdered in Thailand , even the Coup Military Government should soften to permit a British participation from the beginning . A skilled British Forensic Police team could have worked alongside the Thai police and have been a great help to them , in what has been a very difficult task .

The thai authorities don't want the real culprits to be exposed though do they...

Who are the "real culprits"?

I have a couple of questions about the Koh Tao murders.

First on the 16th of September the police detained 3 Burmese who had been drinking on the beach.

Posted 2014-09-16 11:12:09

Surat police detain three Myanmar workers for questioning in connection with Britons murder

Pol Maj- Gen Kiatipong Khoasamarng said the police have at first targeted on foreign labour working in Koh Tao and now are closing in a group of suspects who are Myanmar workers.

They had liquor drinks near the scene on Sunday night before the two bodies would be found.

They were detained as suspects, he said.

Are these the same two now charged plus one of the witnesses ?

If so they were DNA tested then and released as the tests were negative.

Second.

The first mention of a condom I can find in the news was on 16th September 2 days after the murder :

Posted 2014-09-16 13:28:00

Thai PM orders speeded up probe into British tourists’ murder

Police found blood stains, a blood-stained hoe – believed to be the murder weapon -- and a used condom near the bodies. (MCOT online news)

At time there was nothing said about DNA on the condom.

Then on 26th September the police chief said :

Posted 2014-09-26 06:52:47

SPECIAL REPORT
Investigation into Koh Tao murders seriously flawed

Then there's the most puzzling piece of evidence only made public for the first time on Wednesday by deputy national police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung - a condom found in the area that had Witheridge's DNA on the outside but nothing on the inside.

Posted 2014-09-26 06:52:47

That Hannah's DNA was on the outside of the condom but nothing on the inside.

Now we have the police and a prominent poster claiming that the DNA (sperm) of the 2 suspects was also on the outside of the condom.

So where is the truth ?

Were the 2 suspects tested previously for DNA and released ?

Was or was not their sperm on the outside of the condom ?

• Like 1

If the UK really wanted to stir the pot over this they could recall their Ambassador, close the Embassy and make it illegal for Britain's to visit the Kingdom and tell the British expats there that they're on their own to deal with the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok if they need help.

That would rattle a few cages.

not sure it would make much difference to the Brits in Thailand

except we might get better service

• Like 1

Who are the "real culprits"?

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Now the English get involved, poke their dirty fingers in everything but cant even solve their own in country problems.

Don't expect anything worthwhile, just some dirty pigs getting a free holiday at my expense.

Oh dear Mr Angry, Is it the wrong time of the month. Keep taking the tablets and climb back into your pit.!!
. I wonder where he comes from

There are countless cases of bungling by the British police, countless scandals, countless fit ups, countless miscarriages of justice. Some admitted, even posthumous pardons issued, many still wickedly denied. The Thais will be polite but hopefully will say thanks for the offers of help but i think we can manage our own affairs quite well enough thank you.

Does anyone really think Thailand and the RTP really care about what Briton thinks and does? The ONLY thing that makes them concerned is lack of tourists and the money that follows.

It's Britain, not Briton. Great Britain, moreover.

Sorry mate!

Nothing really great about it though.

Britain now has DNA from Hannah and also the two innocents in jail.

That is why they are now getting more involved.

source?

So, there is no source which can be mentioned. sweatalot doesn't show us this source.

As far as I read in non censored UK newspapers UK police have DNA obtained from Hannah's parents, that's all. Hannah's body was brought back to England straight to their home by her parents and it was nowhere ever mentioned that her body was ever in hands of British police. Her parents stated they were happy that their beautiful daughter was now back at her home.

And how did Britain get the DNA from the two innocents in jail, sweatalot? Can you back up your claims?

You got it wrong. Ask bertty. I would like to know, too.

i truly still believe that the UK aint got no real power to MAKE the Thai govt do as they please.

I don't believe another country has the power to make another country do according to its demands... (with the exception of the US maybe)

This case has been dragged for wayyyy too long. Dogged with multiple loopholes as well...

I think this will just lead to a not so happy ending, so that our hosts, Thailand, will be able to save face, as usual

Possible scenarios:

1) the 2 burmese men suddenly "commit suicide" in their cells from the immense "guilt" and stress.

2) the UK police actually sends a team to KT island, and they too are brutally and silently murdered by the Mafia in charge of the island.

3) the RTP suddenly comes up with some magical witnesses and evidence to link to other Burmese killers, saying that the initial 2 burmese guys were threatened by them to the scapegoats.

"i truly still believe that the UK aint got no real power to MAKE the Thai govt do as they please.

I don't believe another country has the power to make another country do according to its demands... (with the exception of the US maybe)"

Actually they do have some weapons in their diplomatic arsenal. They can threaten to shut down British tourism to Thailand. Brits make up a large chunk of the westerners going to Thailand to holiday. Much the same way the Americans closed down Americans visitng Burma/Myanmar for years by making it illegal to travel there. I doubt the Thais would like a boycott by this large of a tourist segment that would affect their income, especially with the recent news that the tourism industry here is taking a big loss of tourism due to the martial law still being in place (up to 20 to 30 % I just read today. Threatening to hit them in the pocketbook may have an effect on how the Thais respond to these 'requests' from the British government. Hit them where it will hurt them the most, or at least play hardball and make the threat and see what the response is.

That kind of boycott would also keep the sad event and the common behavior of the bib in the world's mind for a long time. And could possibly create some change for the better. Good idea

Britain now has DNA from Hannah and also the two innocents in jail.

That is why they are now getting more involved.

source?

So, there is no source which can be mentioned. sweatalot doesn't show us this source.

As far as I read in non censored UK newspapers UK police have DNA obtained from Hannah's parents, that's all. Hannah's body was brought back to England straight to their home by her parents and it was nowhere ever mentioned that her body was ever in hands of British police. Her parents stated they were happy that their beautiful daughter was now back at her home.

And how did Britain get the DNA from the two innocents in jail, sweatalot? Can you back up your claims?

You got it wrong. Ask bertty. I would like to know, too.

Sorry, I just realize that I asked the wrong person. I apologize for this.

Edited by Dario

That Hannah's DNA was on the outside of the condom but nothing on the inside.

Now we have the police and a prominent poster claiming that the DNA (sperm) of the 2 suspects was also on the outside of the condom.

So where is the truth ?

Were the 2 suspects tested previously for DNA and released ?

Was or was not their sperm on the outside of the condom ?

Could it be this way?

failed try to make up something

put the unused condom (filled with some kind of stick) into poor murdered Hanna

than try to put scapegoat sperm inside later.

Finally the poms are showing some backbone

Show me where Backbone won and Thailand loss?

Fair comment. It's early days now and it will be interesting to see the reaction from the police and dictator from within Thailand. Personally I don't think the Thais will co-operate and invite the UK to get involved. On the other hand, there should be nothing from stopping the accused's lawyers from taking a swab of saliva and sending it to the UK for DNA testing. Then it might get interesting - either it will show whether the RTP have actually got the right people or it has indeed been a massive fit up.

VERY simple solution,,, Brit's send someone to personally take/currior DNA samples from the 2 suspects,,, test them in the UK,,, if it's a match,, done deal,,, I've ALWAYS said that testing here WILL match, as the REAL killers samples could have EASILY been swapped into the sample viles with the suspects names on them,, so YA,, of COURSE they'd, "match",,,, done how I'm saying, there's NO arguing wether these 2 are the REAL killers or not,,,, OTHER than the obvious reasons,,, WHY wouldn't the Thai's allow this to, "clear" themselves?