Visa twist at Suvanabuhmi airport

In brief ...

Hold retirement visa valid up to Dec 2014 - do my 90 day reports regularly and on time. Living in Thailand for over 8 yrs.

Left Thailand night of 9 Oct 2014 to India

Returned Thailand yesterday morning (14th).

Immigration ... wanted to see my visa - I showed them the visa (above).

Shaking of the head ... where is your visa??? ... I am confused.

Apparently I should have applied for an exit/re-entry visa... (I was not aware of this requirement - so my fault here - and the reason for posting this i.e. to advise others)

Immigration did not take notice of ...

the retirement visa validity - I still had 6 weeks to go.

the information I had been given at Chonburi immigration about the immigration cards (Arrival/Departure) and their role in the monitoring of foreigners.

End result ... a 30 day stamp in my passport and an instruction to get a new visa as my old one is no longer valid.

sad.png

• Like 1

You did not had a visa you an an extension to stay. As the name suggest sis meant to stay not enter country.

What you missed is called a re-entry permit. You should not made assumptions and asked someone knowledgeable before going. Or a gave peek into this forum. You can also thank Immigration at exit that didn't told you to give 1,200 bt at the desk sits in the same hall.

Now you need to convert your visa exempt to a non-imm in Bangkok only, may require multiple visits. You need to do this asap, as in starting tomorrow. Then the extension as usual.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

Re-entry permit can be bought at immigrations for 1000 baht for single re-entry or 3800 baht for multiple re-entry.

Re-entry permit can also be bought at Suvarnabhumi and Don muang airports.

Without it your extension of stay will be void.

• Like 1

I suspect that you have permission to remain for a further twelve months based on retirement, your visa probably expired years ago.

When you leave Thailand and permission to remain ends, unless you get a re-entry permit.

When I do my extension they always stamp a reminder to get the re-entry permit to keep the extension active, it's a pity they didn't stamp your passport with the same reminder.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

theoldgit .... my visa was valid ... date stamped for expiry 12 Dec 2014 ... and on checking now i see in exceedingly small print..re entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

Serves me right! I should have checked.

Subject closed thumbsup.gif thanks!

You need to get moving if you want to a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry to get it done.

You will need to show the same financial proof that you needed for your extension.

• Like 1

Is it asking too much that a process rethink might consider -

• tasking the immigration officer at point of exit - when seeing what clearly is an annual retirement extension in the passport - to specifically draw attention to the possible need for a re-entry permit, and / or
  • a facility at immigration on arrival back in LOS to allow an individual (like the OP) to re-enter, but with some kind of premium addded to a "retrospective" re-entry permit (to cover the cost of the extra admin and nuisance, which in itself would encourage buying the re-entry permit at the correct time and at a lower cost).

Would this not be more reasonable, and remove the unnecessary hassle, aggravation and cost? People should follow rules but they also make human mistakes.

Is there an official feedback loop for the "customer" to Immigration?

tomdfc ... I like the idea ... it would cater for stupid individuals like myself who don't check requirements.

Kudos to the Immigration officials ... quick and positive reaction ... treated with respect & shown courtesy, Thai smiles all around and not one mention of the "f" word.

ubonjoe ... Thanks for the heads-up.

I went to India on a job interview .. . told this morning I've got the position and they want me on 27th of this month. No need to renew my visa right now, I won't be back for a while.

• Like 2

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

theoldgit .... my visa was valid ... date stamped for expiry 12 Dec 2014 ... and on checking now i see in exceedingly small print..re entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

Serves me right! I should have checked.

Subject closed thumbsup.gif thanks!

Always check with TV wiith regard to the latest immigration requirements before leaving the Country for a trip and then you can change your nickname from RSole to Clever Dick.

it's surprising op stayed 8 years in thailand without knowing he needs a re-entry permit to keep his entension of say valid.

in my opinion, this re-entry permit thing is stupid, but it is a well known requirement. therefore I always get a mutliple re-entry permit along with my extension. costs a bit, but I'm always worry-free.

Why oh why do you even require a "re-entry permit"....it is simply a money making crock of BS

If you have a retirement visa (extension of stay) valid until such and such a date..and you leave Thailand for a short or extended holiday.and return BEFORE the expiry date of said visa...that should be the end of the matter.

The mere fact that you have for all to see an "out" stamp from airport immi...an "in" and an "out" stamp from where the country you visited....and (once these are shown to Thai Immi at the airport on the way back "in")..you should then simply receive the "in" stamp....and be on your way...... all of the information is there to read in your PP...expiry date of current visa...in and out stamps...so why another piece of paper and payment?

A permit to re-enter....total BS

So..say a tourist visits Thailand in March for the month.....has a delightful holiday...intends returning later in the same year....does said tourist then need a permit to re-enter Thailand.....?.....(emphasis on re-enter)...said tourist is in fact "re-entering" Thailand.

Okay so I am splitting hairs....different conditions relate to the visa types...but this "re-entry" thing is hogwash

• Like 2

it's surprising op stayed 8 years in thailand without knowing he needs a re-entry permit to keep his entension of say valid.

in my opinion, this re-entry permit thing is stupid, but it is a well known requirement. therefore I always get a mutliple re-entry permit along with my extension. costs a bit, but I'm always worry-free.

No surprise for me. Don't remember how many years, went to church regular. I must have been past thirty before I became aware the church wasn't giving out money.They were collecting. Amazing.

The re-entry permit, always get. Even when I'm sure will not use. Always use.

Suradit makes good points esp for people like me. Been here two years and its only by reading TV with comments like his and people like ubonjoe and paz etc , that I'm finally starting to understand things.

• Like 1

You need to get moving if you want to a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry to get it done.

You will need to show the same financial proof that you needed for your extension.

Hi Ubonjoe, I'm going to Cambodia hoping to get another year on my "A-O Non immigrant" which expires on the 31stOct...

what do I need to show the Border Officers?

Thanks,

Suradit makes good points esp for people like me. Been here two years and its only by reading TV with comments like his and people like ubonjoe and paz etc , that I'm finally starting to understand things.

Yes indeed.

If you're moving to Thailand for life using the Thai immigration system, it really is foolish not to invest a little effort to learn about and understand the details of the mechanics of the system that allows you to do that, and punishes you if you don't understand.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi Ubonjoe, I'm going to Cambodia hoping to get another year on my "A-O Non immigrant" which expires on the 31stOct...

Thanks,

Ensure that you write the Visa number on the arrival card.

Just happened. Pattaya Immigration refused extend 30 day entry visa with additional 30 days. Two separate officers said only 7 DAY extensions possible.AUS PP.

Usually you have to prepare flight ticket. May be take a print out of their own visa rules, valid after 29th August.

Bangkok give 30 days extension if extend a visa exempt stamp , only Russian and Vietnamese get 7 days.

Just happened. Pattaya Immigration refused extend 30 day entry visa with additional 30 days. Two separate officers said only 7 DAY extensions possible.AUS PP.

Has this happened to you? It has reported recently that someone Jomtien was demanding bribes for 30 dd ext.

People denied should ask to talk to the officer in charge and bring the issue to division headquarters. Yes it sucks.

Has this happened to you? It has reported recently that someone Jomtien was demanding bribes for 30 dd ext.

People denied should ask to talk to the officer in charge and bring the issue to division headquarters. Yes it sucks.

Not to me, to my Aussie friend.

Not to me, to my Aussie friend.

He may have been asked to produce more documents like a ticket or hotel or generally they made it difficult and he gave up.

Reportedly this can be the stance at Jomtien when not meeting certain demands.

He can probably try again, better if accompanied with an educated Thai, respectfully showing them a copy of the new regulations in Thai.

Thanks,

Nothing more than your passport and your arrival card with the visa number written in the space for it.

Check you stamp to be sure they stamped you in for a year.

when you have an extension visa, when you go abroad you need a reentry visa (it depend of what u need ...single or multiple) document otherwise you loose the one you had running....

i mean, i dont want to be impolite but everybody having the foot in the ground knows that, you dont need to make a post here for such a thing.

cheers

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

I am on a non-o with extension to stay due to retirement that expires on Jan 15th 2015 . I am going back to USA in a few weeks so will pick up re-entry permit before I leave. I won't return till end of Feb 2015 so my extension due to retirement will have expired . Will I have a problem getting back in or can I have Thai consulate in USA extend my permission to stay?

Why oh why do you even require a "re-entry permit"....it is simply a money making crock of BS

If you have a retirement visa (extension of stay) valid until such and such a date..and you leave Thailand for a short or extended holiday.and return BEFORE the expiry date of said visa...that should be the end of the matter.

The mere fact that you have for all to see an "out" stamp from airport immi...an "in" and an "out" stamp from where the country you visited....and (once these are shown to Thai Immi at the airport on the way back "in")..you should then simply receive the "in" stamp....and be on your way...... all of the information is there to read in your PP...expiry date of current visa...in and out stamps...so why another piece of paper and payment?

A permit to re-enter....total BS

So..say a tourist visits Thailand in March for the month.....has a delightful holiday...intends returning later in the same year....does said tourist then need a permit to re-enter Thailand.....?.....(emphasis on re-enter)...said tourist is in fact "re-entering" Thailand.

Okay so I am splitting hairs....different conditions relate to the visa types...but this "re-entry" thing is hogwash

The re-entry permit is to keep the current permission to stay active. So usually your theoretical tourist would not be effected. The re-entry permit could be given a better name but it is the name used in many countries.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=re-entry%20permit

It is a normal condition in many countries, not BS or hogwash. If you don't like it then don't leave that country or don't stay in that country, then you don't have what you think is a problem.

I've lived in a country for the last 20 years with the same kind of law, their country their law.