Thailand plans one of world's tallest skyscrapers

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh dear god! They plan to build this huge building on flood plains and do not even realise or care that in about 100yrs alot of BKK will be under water. Completely and utterly stupid!!

If you're on the 125th floor then you don't need to worry about floods... biggrin.png

I wonder where they plan to build, and how far the support columns will go down? Any engineers here?

It's the first I've heard of it... Baiyoke Tower pilings go down 60 meters. To hit bedrock in Bangkok it could be between anywhere between 400 to 800 meters some sources place it deeper. The size of the footprint relative to the weight, hight, depth and the number of piles is perhaps the most important thing; however, there is nothing below us but sand and clay. The buildings here are at best floating on it.

I hope that wasn't a too simple response from a drunk.

I'm not an architect or civil engineer, but it is my understanding that tall buildings need very stable foundations. If your numbers are correct they will have to sink the foundations approximately as deep as the planned building will be tall. Or they could have less deep foundations and hope that all that weight on top of wet sand and clay will be stable. That's the kind of land that shakes like jello during earthquakes, and sometimes liquifies.

I'm sure it could be done, but that raises the question--why? Is it really economically feasible, or is this somebodies vanity project?

I hear they plan on being first men on Mars !

Such a thrilling time to be Thai and world beaters.

This great leader of theirs is nothing short of a god!

Don't you ThinK?

Agreed. I am so happy that the Winter Olympics will be in Thailand and that The General is nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. These are lively times for us all.

I wonder where they plan to build, and how far the support columns will go down? Any engineers here?

It's the first I've heard of it... Baiyoke Tower pilings go down 60 meters. To hit bedrock in Bangkok it could be between anywhere between 400 to 800 meters some sources place it deeper. The size of the footprint relative to the weight, hight, depth and the number of piles is perhaps the most important thing; however, there is nothing below us but sand and clay. The buildings here are at best floating on it.

I hope that wasn't a too simple response from a drunk.

I'm not an architect or civil engineer, but it is my understanding that tall buildings need very stable foundations. If your numbers are correct they will have to sink the foundations approximately as deep as the planned building will be tall. Or they could have less deep foundations and hope that all that weight on top of wet sand and clay will be stable. That's the kind of land that shakes like jello during earthquakes, and sometimes liquifies.

I'm sure it could be done, but that raises the question--why? Is it really economically feasible, or is this somebodies vanity project?

The economics of it all are beyond me... Yes it can be done.

Yes it's a mere vanity project. You can build 30 buildings that are each one 10th in height of this proposed skyscraper at the same total cost of the one tall building.

That makes the units three times as expensive than your average built. In the end the buyer might even pay four or five times as much for the sheer novelty factor.

Sustainability and reasonableness is not normally considered for such projects and at large economic discourse cannot address such questions.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

and now everyone waits for the"Super Collapse"

Please check and compare your seismic data with building standards in places that do actually have earthquakes. A moderate quake in Bangkok by Californian or Japanese standards would cripple the city.

If a decent sized earthquake hit Bangkok, there wouldn't be a city.

• Like 2

Hope the two Guys i saw building a wall yesterday are not involved. This morning when i passed it had fallen down !

This project is yet another reason why i don't go anywhere near Bangkok apart from in transit through the airport. Do these genius's forget the place is sinking and won't be visible above mud in 30 years ?

Edited by trainman34014

and now everyone waits for the"Super Collapse"

Please check and compare your seismic data with building standards in places that do actually have earthquakes. A moderate quake in Bangkok by Californian or Japanese standards would cripple the city.

If a decent sized earthquake hit Bangkok, there wouldn't be a city.

Let's hope that doesn't happen...

Super Tower: Tallest building in Southeast Asia coming to Bangkok
By Coconuts Bangkok

supertower.jpg

BANGKOK: -- When icon-to-Tron MahaNakhon finally scrapes the sky in 2016, it may not have long to enjoy its tallest-in-town status.

Developer Grand Canal Land announced its intention Tuesday to build the tallest building in Southeast Asia near the intersection of Rama IX and Ratchadapisek roads.

With an estimated price tag THB18 billion, the Grand Rama IX Super Tower Iconic – or whatever they finally call it – will rise 615-meters on 11.7 hectares as part of the mixed-use project already underway next to the Central Plaza Grand Rama 9 mall.

That’s more than double the 304 meters of Baiyoke II, which MahaNakhon will eventually edge out at 314.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/15/super-tower-tallest-building-southeast-asia-coming-bangkok

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-15

The top of the Golden Mount Temple already has the best panoramic views of the Southeast Asian capital.

The temple of the Golden Mount is the only place in the world where Buddha's bones are known to be stored,...and yet it is one of the least visited temples in Bangkok. I think they should move them to Chiang Mai, where they would be more appreciated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bones_of_the_Buddha

Edited by Ve37

Yes it's a mere vanity project. You can build 30 buildings that are each one 10th in height of this proposed skyscraper at the same total cost of the one tall building.

That makes the condo units three times as expensive than your average built. In the end the buyer might even pay four or five times as much for the sheer novelty factor.

Sustainability and reasonableness is not normally considered for such projects and at large economic discourse cannot address such questions.

I agree with Morakot on this...

• Like 1

Good luck,I hope it succeeds ,did you know Thailand is heading towards the golden era,in the next 40 to 50 years Thailand will be up there with the rest of the world,if the Thais are at least trying ,give them confidence and credit,

Grand Canal Land Public Company, hmm so the land will be near a canal?

They flood a lot don't they?

Are there any implications for a building this size on land that floods on a regular basis?

Apart from buying some wellies, that is.

They are planning for climate change: when BKK gets under water they still will be visible :)

The plan is to build from a new material called noodlement, its lighter and cheaper than concrete. The other bonus is that noodlement floats, well a bit anyway, enough time for you grab a ring in the rainy season. No need to use piles, they are old hat, just get a few tractors to level the ground off, jump up and down a bit and bob's your uncle. If it does fall down I would just put it down to bad luck or something that I did not understand," I have abuilt a shed once and it did not fall down ( for a few weeks ) surely there is nothing difficult about building one thats abit bigger?" said a spokesman from the contruction department.

Good luck,I hope it succeeds ,did you know Thailand is heading towards the golden era,in the next 40 to 50 years Thailand will be up there with the rest of the world,if the Thais are at least trying ,give them confidence and credit,

They're definitely trying

From an engineering point of view this is shear adulterated madness. The water table is so high that even if the foundations were excavated down the equivalent of 15-20 floors they would still remain unstable. There just isn't enough concrete even in Thailand to substitute for hard rock.

I guess only the extremely foolish, wealthy or social climbing Chinese will purchase an apartment and then I hope they have bucket loads of insurance (if they can get it). The Eureka Tower in Melbourne, Australia comes to mind. Although small by comparison it too required DEEP foundations and gold tinted glass and fittings just to entice the Chinese to buy an apartment - they did!