Chiang Mai: River coffee shop riles officials

webfact

River coffee shop riles officials
The Nation

30245550-01_big.jpg?1413412757376
Photo from : http://paapaii.com/

CHIANG MAI: -- Provincial Port Office in Chiang Mai province is planning to take action against a coffee shop that has become famous after setting up tables and seats in the middle of Tha Chang River in Hang Dong district. Customers can soak their feet in the water while sipping coffee.

Office director Abhisit Khampiro said anybody planning any activity in the river should contact his office first. Nobody had asked for permission in this case. He has ordered that the tables be removed, as they went beyond the shop's territory.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/River-coffee-shop-riles-officials-30245550.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-16

What a shame. This place is extremely popular - especially on weekends when you have to queue whilst waiting for a table to become available. I am sure the owners will come to a "suitable arrangement" with the authorities - one way or another

Yeah - totally awesome, because of course no one would simply drop their garbage into the water. Left over food, drinks, cigarette butts, etc. Staff cleaning tables ? Straight into the water as well. Just dip your scummy rag into the water and wipe the table - repeat as needed.

I suppose it will save $$ on not having pesky things like garbage bags and such.

Can't wait for the opportunity to be sipping a cup of lame, instant coffee while other diners trash swirls around my feet !

What's worse - diners trash swirling around your feet or mangy dogs sniffing around, urinating and defacating?

Think I'll go with the water idea!

• Like 1

Another huge problem this shop has caused is parking. It is right on Samoeng Road and they have no space for parking. Their parking is barely deep enough for a car to pull in. When parking or leaving these cars are using the road to maneuver. It is a constant hassle and danger. As I ride this road almost daily, I have witnessed numerous near accidents with motorbikes coming down from the mountain, and come around the curve to be confronted with cars sitting in the middle of the road. This place really needs to get their act together. Public nuisance!

• Like 1

If the Port office does not want trespass on their territory (if they have jurisdiction), open the spillway gates above Chiang mai and watch the project float down the river to the next sand bar.

If truth were known the ''port office'' probably has no authority on the coffee facilities, release of water, or anything else concerning this private enterprise and will try to bluff their way to a payment just like the '' music license police'' who have been allowed to operate with police participation.

• Like 2

A coffee shop setting up in the stream is not a good precedent!

Next thing you'll see are street vendors (now "river vendors"?) of all sorts and motor bike parking in streams. But will the local authorities have the courage to say "no" to bribes?

This is a great restaurant with very friendly and helpful staff. We have spent many wonderful afternoons there with the kids. This 'in the river' dining is a recent addition to the restaurants appeal.

What a ridiculous move by the local officials...

Lots of negative comments on this post.

If youre that negative, why are you in thailand?blink.png

I look on the positive side.

If negatives dominate the coffee house,

then it would close in a day.

its popular because the experience is positive.

if the pollution is bad (and it is in most cases)

people will be exposed to it

and will be encouraged to pick up after them selves

I have yet to see anyone (other than myself in a reflection)

pick up a piece of rubbish.

I still do it. Its an endless, thankless task

but I believe it starts with one person

myself

I will not add to the pollution in Thailand

lets see if all these neigh sayers pick up after themselves.

Remember the only person you can truly control is yourself.

Before you criticize others, look in a mirror.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah - totally awesome, because of course no one would simply drop their garbage into the water. Left over food, drinks, cigarette butts, etc. Staff cleaning tables ? Straight into the water as well. Just dip your scummy rag into the water and wipe the table - repeat as needed.

I suppose it will save $$ on not having pesky things like garbage bags and such.

Can't wait for the opportunity to be sipping a cup of lame, instant coffee while other diners trash swirls around my feet !

You are right. What sucks even more is that you are....right.

Humans get some cool ideas but once they introduce other humans into the equation, it can/does go wrong from there.

I was just at Fish Cave between Mae Hong Son and Pai the other day. What a great place but <deleted>!? People just can't help but throw plastic fish food bags into the river? Really? There are rubbish bins readily available but no, into the river they go.

Boggles the mind. Not being superior here but it's a real <deleted> moment for the humans that inhabit this country. I don't mean just Thais either.

• Like 1

Rivers are said to be the property of the King. Just like the beaches they should belong to everyone and like the sunbeds and sunbeds at Phuket did not allow people to access the beach freely a proliferation of this kind of use will end up having the same effect. Better to control it from the start before it gets out of hand. There is also a safety issue relating to flash floods.

• Like 1