Thai bank refuses to compensate foreigner

webfact

Bank refuses to compensate
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A Myanmar man filed a complaint with journalists at the Police Crime Suppression Division yesterday that a friend had stolen his personal documents to apply for a new ATM card and allegedly made off with his Bt76,000 in savings. He said the bank refused to compensate him for the lost money.

This was despite the court's previous ruling penalising his friend Maung Maung, 25, for the crime, victim Ar You Zaw Htay, 30, said.

Atchariya Rungrattanapong, president of the Club for Justice who accompanied the victim, said Htay found that his passport, Bt1,000 in cash and bank savings account book had been stolen from his Samut Prakan home in June and filed a police complaint.

This led to the arrest of his friend Maung Maung, who had used these documents to apply for an ATM card to withdraw the victim's savings.

Htay said the bank was responsible for allowing another person to apply for an ATM card and steal his money, but the bank refused to compensate, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bank-refuses-to-compensate-30245548.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-16

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Banks are the real crooks, the scourge of the monetary system, and Thai banks are king of the pit.

I tend to agree , after 2 lost most of my life savings through dodgy investments aha-la 2008 and no compensation

In Thailand, the foreigner will never get Justice if a Bank errors. My ATM card was skimmed and being used in Russia while I was still ussing the card in Chiang Mai.

After I noticed the stolen transactions, I went to the bank and asked them if their internal Security did not notice transactions from the Same card being made in Russia AND Chiang Mai at the same time ? They do NOT have that kind of sophistication.

In Thailand, the foreigner will never get Justice if a Bank errors. My ATM card was skimmed and being used in Russia while I was still ussing the card in Chiang Mai.

After I noticed the stolen transactions, I went to the bank and asked them if their internal Security did not notice transactions from the Same card being made in Russia AND Chiang Mai at the same time ? They do NOT have that kind of sophistication.

OK they didn't notice the absurdity of the double location, and that's crazy indeed.

But you don't mention whether or not they refunded the money spent with the fake card in Russia.

Did they cover those illegal transactions or not ? If not, what bank is that ? I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested to know... thanks !

• Like 1

There has to be something here not being told. If it were this easy for the banks to pull this and get away with it, then they would be doing it a lot. I'll have to withhold my opinion about the bank until there are more details about these two men, their background, etc.

Thais will avoid reporting a good, truthful story if they even think for a moment that something said or typed will may offend another... which is why Thai reporting is the stench of reporting. Something here is missing.

• Like 1

They allowed someone with the right documents but the wrong PICTURE, on them to take all the mans savings.

The BANK dropped the ball when they gave someone with improper identification a bank card.

SUE THE BASTARDS. Yeah and NAME THEM too.

• Like 2

Credit card theft is so easy, when is the last time any clerk asked to see more then the plastic, Unless these two guys look one heck of a lot alike Asian to Asian, the card should not have been issued ion the first place.

It 78K baht to file a Court Case and get the money back, 60K in filing fees and a few years of waiting to get to court. The bank knows he can't do that, just had all of his savings stolen. You can bet if they they were dealing with someone who could fight back things would go easier.

Does that consumer protection agency still exist?

Seems like the only hope for this guy..

Banks are the real crooks, the scourge of the monetary system, and Thai banks are king of the pit.

exactly i agree 100% with that, and all government use banks to controll people masivly worldly....people stupidly give their own money to the bank all the time....it is an error.....keep your money at home , dont be afraid, pay in cash and break the bank system ..this is the only way to restablish the balance.

these people are thief...!

.in spain this week they find some 80 top selected people from the bank "caja madrid "who has been rescue by the spanish government for milions of euros, manage to spend with extra very personal credit cards 11 millions of euros in privat stories.

the incredible thing is that it is normal that this people get an extra money for their good job and everybody new and accept these situation, during that time others pay tax to resolve the country sinking.

coffee1.gif

IT IS someone else's fault, DONT LET YOUR 'FRIEND' steal your document's, it's that simple.. with all the fraud in this country, how the fk does the bank know you and your friend arn't simply working together?..

I keep track of all my passbooks, if i loose an atm card, i cancel it immediately .. this guy was careless and it was HIS friend that did this to him, it's not the banks falt, the rest of us do not want to 'pay' for people who are careless by way of additional fees and additional insurance charges so we can help friends commit fraud.

"He said the bank refused to compensate him for the lost money."

The standard Thai mantra; "Not our fault. Someone else's fault. We never make mistakes. If you didn't want to lose your money, you should not put it in bank."

Imagine how many people would go into shock if they actually admitted that they made a mistake and were willing to compensate the customer. But that would require growing a pair.

What???!

You are seriously saying that the BANK who have processed a fraudulent application for the ATM card, based on a stolen passport (the photo in the passport could not match the person presenting it unless they were identical twins), and despite the fact that the actual account holder did not sign the application (the signature on the application is very unlikely to have matched the one on the banks records), and it is the FAULT OF THE VICTIM?

Ridiculous!

• Like 1