Is calling someone a monkey an insult in Thailand?

fitfalang

Thais probably have a different perception of monkeys than we do, since they meet them more often.

In my experience, monkeys are not the cheerful, cheeky little chaps that we fondly imagine, but rather vicious thieving little bastarts, worse than pikeys.

SC

SC I thought you were American. Are there Pikeys in America now?

They're all over, mate. Wherever there's hub caps, you'll find them. I mean, wherever there's no hub caps, you'll never find them... well, I'm sure you understand...

SC

A lot of Pikeys in Thailand to

Culturally no. Funny how folks expect a traditional western insult to Africans to translate and apply. If you want the effect of calling someone of African descent a monkey, you'd need to call them a dog here. (here, they don't really apply the dog is man's best friend concept... while a typical monkey is agile and fast).

Dog is more used for someone aggressive (ma bah) or someone who speaks rude (bag ma) it is not so suitable as best insult.

Better "sad" which means animal (don't forget the I or A before) or "ia" (the lovely water monitor lizards which the Thai people don't like for any unknown reason).

Of course calling someone "Kwai" is also working....maybe the most popular insult. Calling someone buffalo has more the quality of calling him idiot.

I think all 3 are suitable to get a fight in a karaoke bar with drunk youngsters......Monkey may not work.

oh yeah, I didn't mean to say dog was a common insult. just comparing the two animals on the social hierarchy when someone is compared to one. in a lot of cultures it's great to be a dog, but not here. if one were explaining inferior social status to children for example, you'd compare lower classed folks to dogs or buffalo, but you wouldn't call them ai sad or ai hia. :-)

Thais are more worried about black dogs (Hello "Maar Dam") and lizards ("I hear" you)

Where there's the answer to a puzzle I've been trying to solve for a while. Students always chuckle when I tell them to say "I'm here" as I call the roll. Now I know why.

But I still don't get why the word lizard is funny.

Edited by attrayant

I am guessing it depends on whether it is there nickname or not tongue.png

Your facial expression posture & and wether or not you are shouting a house round will have a big effect otherwise,

Those who have previously decided you are offensive, will take offence, those who have decided previously you are O.K. will not take offence.

Thais are more worried about black dogs (Hello "Maar Dam") and lizards ("I hear" you)

Where there's the answer to a puzzle I've been trying to solve for a while. Students always chuckle when I tell them to say "I'm here" as I call the roll. Now I know why.

But I still don't get why the word lizard is funny.

The Thai word for 'monitor lizard' (hiia) isn't funny - it is a real insult, depending on how it is said... Getting them to say "I'm 'hiia' (sic)" is probably why they are laughing!? Saying "ai hiia" to someone is guaranteed to cause problems...!

Going back to the OP, I don't think the word 'monkey' (ling) is offensive on its own, but it probably depends on the context it is used in?

Khwai (buffalo), sat (animal) and hiia (lizard) are words best avoided if you don't want to cause offense unintentionally...

Do not try to practice swear words in Thailand , or you will end up in a hospital more dead than alive. Thais are easily offended.

Edited by balo

Like in any other culture....

If said with affection it is taken well.

If said with malice it is not liked.

I often call my daughter Ling noi..little monkey.

She laughs and calls me her Ling Yai..big monkey..

Referring to someone you do not know well as any animal may not be a great idea...no?

Even derogatory terms can be affectionate if used by those who like each other.

Look at all of the African Americans who affectionately call each other by the "N" word!

I would not try it, but it works for them.

Hey! I even call my close white friends "Farang"! 555