Hong Kong expats are more beautiful

JohnnyJazz

I looked better when I worked in Hong Kong than in Thailand

Me too SC. But only during the day in a suit.

One has been known to be equally as ugly rolling out of Bottoms Up at 3am as from Patpong.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expat residential communities in HK remind me of the Stepford Wives. Maybe people in Bangkok look a little more dishevelled because of the heat and humidity; it's not quite so bad in HK.

That's <deleted>. U ever been in HK in summer?

True, summer in Hong Kong is much worse than Bangkok, and what makes things even worse is the almost 100% humidity. Sweat doesn't evaporate and when you wander outside you usually end up soaking wet in less than 5 mn. But that doesn't stop people in the Central business district to wear long sleeves shirts and jackets all year long.

I can see the attraction...

Slum-Model-For-New-Builds.jpg

Where's that Slippery? Looks like Brazil.

Looks a bit like PokFuLam

OK, I stand corrected.

I did a reverse look up and this is Tai Hang in Hong Kong.

One thing that should be noted, despite its wealth and its small size, Hong Kong has more slums than Thailand.

Do you have a date for that picture?

In the latter half of the 20th century the vast bulk of Hong Kong'slums were cleared and most of their residents rehoused in concrete government apartments.

SC

Nonsense topic of the day. I'd like to know how the OP can detect who is an 'expat' on sight alone.....do they wear badges now?

I don't think you can tell the difference between a western expat and a tourist, they don't wear badges, but I'm sure you know the expat uniform.

OK, I stand corrected.

I did a reverse look up and this is Tai Hang in Hong Kong.

One thing that should be noted, despite its wealth and its small size, Hong Kong has more slums than Thailand.

Do you have a date for that picture?

In the latter half of the 20th century the vast bulk of Hong Kong'slums were cleared and most of their residents rehoused in concrete government apartments.

SC

Didn't they replace them with these?

Where home is a metal cage: How tens of thousands of Hong Kong's poorest are forced to live in 6ft by 2ft rabbit hutches

• Leung Cho-yin, 67, pays £105 a month for a cage in dilapidated apartment
  • 210,000 people are on waiting list for public housing, double from 2006
  • Leung and his elderly roommates wash their clothes in a bucket

post-187908-0-36788800-1413697601_thumb.

Worked in both.

Hong Kong is for professionals on much bigger scale than Bangkok. It has a history if attracting good caliber candidates for decades.

There have always been professionals here , some big American companies have been here since the late seventies , some large Thai corporations had qualifies expats . It was easy to get a job if you had the right qualification because there were so few here.

And a far higher number of balcony jumpers...when you factor in the number of Phillipino maids who have died while hanging out the washing from the multi storey hovels that most expats live in.

gotta say it, the hk food is so much better than thai or chinese. the infusion of different cultures in the food dishes is downright amazing.the cost of eating very good in hk for 1 day is about the same as 3 days in thailand. i am speaking of local food stalls & takeaway shops.

May also have something to do with the weather. In HK, which also still has a strong UK influence, you will see business people walking about in suits and ties... quite doable because of the climate. In Singapore, however, you can always tell a short-timer: he's the sweaty one wearing the suit and tie in the tropical climate as if he's back in London. The real expats aren't that stupid. Probably the same holds true in Bangkok (I try to avoid the big city).

Why do you claim Thailand has more to attrack professional expats than H.K.? Would think the reverse is more accurate

A lot of HK expats envy Thailand's (perceived) better quality of life.

On the other hand, at a professional level, Thailand is seen by many as a dumping ground for washed-up expats and those who couldn't make it in more competitive places like Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore.

Actually it's probably a chicken/egg problem. There is not world class expat because there is no world class employers who are not here because they can't find world class expats who are not here because there is no world class employers who are not here ....

And maybe - just maybe - Thailand (and other places) offer lifestyle options that a great many people much prefer over what is offered by HK.......

You mean like letting a 70 year old buy a 15 year old in Thailand???? w00t.gif

Why do you claim Thailand has more to attrack professional expats than H.K.? Would think the reverse is more accurate

On the other hand, at a professional level, Thailand is seen by many as a dumping ground for washed-up expats and those who couldn't make it in more competitive places like Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore.

Actually it's probably a chicken/egg problem. There is not world class expat because there is no world class employers who are not here because they can't find world class expats who are not here because there is no world class employers who are not here ....

I consider myself the ultimate type of expat, I have lived my entire life outside the country of my nationality, in fact I wasn't even born there.

I grew up in HK and lived there for 35 years. I've lived in Bangkok for 6 years.

The reason there are not lots of the HK type of expats here is there just aren't the jobs for them.

I would love it if there was an influx of HK style Western expats so that instead of just tourists and retired blokes we had young professional Western men *and women* and Bangkok became more like Hong Kong and Singapore.

But it isn't ever likely to happen until the powers that be wake up and realise that letting Western expats setup businesses without having to hire 4 Thais for each Gweilo/Farang/Expat would encourage a lot of people to base themselves here, or that many modern businesses (tech/design/etc) don't require "offices" and therefore insisting that all companies must have an office is an outdated concept.

The tax revenues they could make if they let entrepreneurs use Thailand as an Asian base would be huge, not to mention the influx of foreign currency and the boost to the property sector.

I was lucky to have been headhunted to Thailand, but relatively few people are. In fact I'd love to know the demographics of the Westerners actually living in Bangkok.

I also agree with you, the HK expats are a lot better looking :-)

Edited by seancbk

Yes, it is the reverse. Hong Kong has approximately three times the business of Bangkok and 2/3 the business of all of Thailand. GDP/PCI HK approx. US$274B/US$50,700; while BKK is approx US$98B/US$14,300; and all of Thailand is approx US$387B/US$5,370. For the two cities, more products and more income will bring more professionals. If you are going to assess the entire country, you will have to cite China with Hong Kong. China's GDP is approx US$9.240T, or about 15% of the world economy and 24 times greater than Thailand's economy.

www.tradingeconomics.com/gdp-growth

So being good looking means you are a "quality" person?. Ok. It's nice JohnnyJazz took the time out of his business trip to HK to write on the thai forum and remind us how low quality everyone is in Thailand.

Maybe Mr Jazz would consider staying permanently in HK with the quality people he so admires. That way he would increase the overall quality of people both in Thailand and HK

Edited by Time Traveller

Expat residential communities in HK remind me of the Stepford Wives. Maybe people in Bangkok look a little more dishevelled because of the heat and humidity; it's not quite so bad in HK.

I take it you've never been to Nichida Thani or some of those weird estates in Sri Nakharin

I presume that you are referring to those ghastly 'Towns' near to Makro, Sri Nakarin like the place that is actually called 'British Town'.

May also have something to do with the weather. In HK, which also still has a strong UK influence, you will see business people walking about in suits and ties... quite doable because of the climate. In Singapore, however, you can always tell a short-timer: he's the sweaty one wearing the suit and tie in the tropical climate as if he's back in London. The real expats aren't that stupid. Probably the same holds true in Bangkok (I try to avoid the big city).

HK has 98% humidity for 9 months of the year and the temperature averages 23 degrees.

In Bangkok the humidity never gets above about 85% but the temperature averages in the 30's. Because of the lower humidity Bangkok feels much cooler.

The reason we wear suits in Hong Kong is the jobs are professional, you wouldn't expect to see your private banker or lawyer dressed casually would you?

Whereas in Bangkok the only time I've had to wear a suit was to a nice dinner.

I take it you've never been to Nichida Thani or some of those weird estates in Sri Nakharin

That's right; I've never been to them and never heard of them either. I'll take your word for it that they are weird. Expat ghettos is what I'd call them. I don't want to move half way round the world to replicate what I'd left behind in the first place. It detracts from the whole experience.

That's right; I've never been to them and never heard of them either. I'll take your word for it that they are weird. Expat ghettos is what I'd call them. I don't want to move half way round the world to replicate what I'd left behind in the first place. It detracts from the whole experience.

Canarysun is the man you need to speak to if you really want a proper experience

• Like 1

HK has 98% humidity for 9 months of the year and the temperature averages 23 degrees.

In Bangkok the humidity never gets above about 85% but the temperature averages in the 30's. Because of the lower humidity Bangkok feels much cooler.

The reason we wear suits in Hong Kong is the jobs are professional, you wouldn't expect to see your private banker or lawyer dressed casually would you?

Whereas in Bangkok the only time I've had to wear a suit was to a nice dinner.

Well, the jobs in Singapore (where I spent 15 years of my life) are equally professional, and the locals generally leave the jacket at home. Expats follow suit (pun intended). I think you're crazy to wear a suit jack (and even tie) in tropical temperatures.

Further, I'm not sure that 8 percentage points higher humidity (e.g., 72% versus 80% humidity) compensates for 5-10 percentage points higher temperatures (e.g., 16c versus 28c in Jan).

I consider myself the ultimate type of expat, I have lived my entire life outside the country of my nationality, in fact I wasn't even born there.

I grew up in HK and lived there for 35 years. I've lived in Bangkok for 6 years.

The reason there are not lots of the HK type of expats here is there just aren't the jobs for them.

I would love it if there was an influx of HK style Western expats so that instead of just tourists and retired blokes we had young professional Western men *and women* and Bangkok became more like Hong Kong and Singapore.

But it isn't ever likely to happen until the powers that be wake up and realise that letting Western expats setup businesses without having to hire 4 Thais for each Gweilo/Farang/Expat would encourage a lot of people to base themselves here, or that many modern businesses (tech/design/etc) don't require "offices" and therefore insisting that all companies must have an office is an outdated concept.

The tax revenues they could make if they let entrepreneurs use Thailand as an Asian base would be huge, not to mention the influx of foreign currency and the boost to the property sector.

I was lucky to have been headhunted to Thailand, but relatively few people are. In fact I'd love to know the demographics of the Westerners actually living in Bangkok.

I also agree with you, the HK expats are a lot better looking :-)

We have very similar background :-)

I dont' know if you will agree with me that the "beauty" of the Hong Kong expats is an inside beauty. There are there to win, both at a personnal and professional level. On the other hand a lot of Bangkok expats act like they have given up, even in their personal appearance it seems they don't really care anymore how they look. Unfortunately this is something important in Asia and it is a self defeating attitude. No wonder we have so many negative comments in this forum.

Well, the jobs in Singapore (where I spent 15 years of my life) are equally professional, and the locals generally leave the jacket at home. Expats follow suit (pun intended). I think you're crazy to wear a suit jack (and even tie) in tropical temperatures.

A neatly pressed short sleeve shirt can sometime be ok.

A half tucked shirt that looks like you have slept with it is never ok.

Well speaking as an expat working in Thailand I am off to HK tomorrow so will report back my findings. Personally I think Bangkok is an excellent place to live and work. For sure it is not squeaky clean like for instance Singapore but then who wants a sterilised life with picture postcard pretty people surely a melting pot of various misfits and miscreants adds a certain frisson to the mix!

I presume that you are referring to those ghastly 'Towns' near to Makro, Sri Nakarin like the place that is actually called 'British Town'.

Nichida Thani is a huge estate near Pakkret/Chaeng Wattana it's a self contained piece of America it has it's own American School, Villa Super and Church and it's a big Church. There are also Falung Restaurants and various antique shops inside and just outside the gate.

I think most falungs never leave the place and Thais all have to speak English don't think any Thais live there.

Nichida Thani is a huge estate near Pakkret/Chaeng Wattana it's a self contained piece of America it has it's own American School, Villa Super and Church and it's a big Church. There are also Falung Restaurants and various antique shops inside and just outside the gate.

I think most falungs never leave the place and Thais all have to speak English don't think any Thais live there.

There are some Thai families there- just doing research now on that place as a possible place to live. Sounds quite fun actually- a real desperate housewives suburban slice of americana and great/safe of the kids since its gated and lots of families.

To the OP, yes agree singapore and HK expats totally different type to most Thai expats :-)