Soldiers Accused Of Appropriating Drug Suspect's Car, Amulet

Lite Beer

Soldiers Accused Of Appropriating Drug Suspect's Car, Amulet

By Khaosod Eng.

14135389401413539469l.jpg

SURAT THANI — A group of soldiers on Koh Samui island have been accused of torturing a man into confessing to trafficking marijuana and then seizing his belongings for their personal use.

Somkid Siriboon, from Bueng Kan province in northeastern Thailand, was arrested on the southern island in early September by army officers from the 25th Infantry Regiment for allegedly transporting 42 kilograms of marijuana.

According to a report released by the military at the time, Somkid intended to sell the marijuana to foreign tourists on the neighbouring Koh Pha Ngan island, the site of the monthly Full Moon Party.

But his family said today that army officers falsely implicated Somkid and physically abused him until he confessed.

According to Somkid's wife, Suphee Siriboon, the officers who arrested her husband also confiscated his pick-up truck, gold necklace, amulet, cash, and ATM cards. Instead of storing the confiscated items in a state agency, the soldiers retained them for personal use, Suphee said.

"When we begged them to return the belongings to us, they refused," Suphee told reporters after submitting a petition to the headquarters of Surat Thani Military District calling for justice.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1413538940

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-17

"When we begged them to return the belongings to us, they refused," Suphee told reporters after submitting a petition to the headquarters of Surat Thani Military District calling for justice."

Well they wouldn't would they. Aren't they evidence or considered proceeds of criminal activity?

Should get them back if found not guilty, but not before I'd have thought.

"When we begged them to return the belongings to us, they refused," Suphee told reporters after submitting a petition to the headquarters of Surat Thani Military District calling for justice."

Well they wouldn't would they. Aren't they evidence or considered proceeds of criminal activity?

Yes, the evidence should be stored . . . until the trial . . . but what they are claiming is that the "evidence" is not being securely stored, but rather being used (appropriated) by the very soldiers that made the arrest making that evidence invalid and inadmissible one would think.

Well that is what the wife alleges. I wonder which items of pick-up truck, gold necklace, amulet, cash, and ATM cards are being used? or are the boys in green into his green?

Yes, the evidence should be stored . . . until the trial . . . but what they are claiming is that the "evidence" is not being securely stored, but rather being used (appropriated) by the very soldiers that made the arrest making that evidence invalid and inadmissible one would think.

The family are claiming this is the case. Is there any evidence to back this up or just something they are saying because they want sympathetic publicity?

I strongly suspect the latter.

• Like 1

Well that is what the wife alleges. I wonder which items of pick-up truck, gold necklace, amulet, cash, and ATM cards are being used? or are the boys in green into his green?

Or does the wife want to grab what she can and run while hubbies locked up.

Maybe other deliveries to be made.

• Like 2

The use of any ATM cards after the date of arrest would be quite damning providing the arrest records show what was seized and it's not another Khon Kaen situation where records of arrested persons and evidence seized supposedly didn't exist.

The family are claiming this is the case. Is there any evidence to back this up or just something they are saying because they want sympathetic publicity?

I strongly suspect the latter.

Agreed conveniently leave out the 42 kilo of marijuana.

The military suffers from corruption, cronyism, nepotism and down right incompetence just as much as the police from the top to bottom, the only difference being that the police come into contact with the general public everyday making their short coming more evident.

My landlord is a military officer and certainly doesn't conduct himself in a manner or with the decorum wish might reasonably be expected from his rank, well in other countries that is.

Over the years I have been informed, including from within his family, how many times he has been in financial trouble by excessive spending ' looking after ' senior officers and it has bought him two promotions to date with the potential of another.

another general in the making

• Like 1

The military suffers from corruption, cronyism, nepotism and down right incompetence just as much as the police from the top to bottom, the only difference being that the police come into contact with the general public everyday making their short coming more evident.

My landlord is a military officer and certainly doesn't conduct himself in a manner or with the decorum wish might reasonably be expected from his rank, well in other countries that is.

Over the years I have been informed, including from within his family, how many times he has been in financial trouble by excessive spending ' looking after ' senior officers and it has bought him two promotions to date with the potential of another.

another general in the making

Yes general as in disaster. At the moment he's a major as in furore.

Thai police are perhaps following the American police example where in the USA they can seize money, cars and other property even without a suspect being charged with a crime.

As reported on the Daily Show recently, A Washington Post investigation previously revealed that law enforcement had taken away more than a billion dollars in property and cash from individuals under a federal forfeiture program that was originally set up to help cripple drug lords.

It turns out that police have spent large sums of the forfeited money to purchase weapons, armored cars and even entertainment. The list of purchases includes Humvees, a helicopter, automatic weapons, gas grenades, night-vision scopes, sniper gear, a coffee pot and the booking of at least one clown. More than 80% of the nearly $2.5 billion spent by police involved in the program “came from cash and property seizures in which no indictment was filed.”

• Like 2

Deja vue all over again.

From the times of the first military coup trailblazer, Pibun, the army being in control in most areas of government became as venal as the BIB are today and as they have always been.

Such was the corruption then that the government went into near bankruptcy and another general deposed him with a coup. Which in itself was chapter 2 of the same story.

What was that aphorism about people not learning the lessons of history?

In the USA things are much simpler. Just Google "civil forfeiture" The police pull you over for a minor traffic offence. Ask how how

much cash you are carrying. You tell them. If it is higher than what they think a regular person should be carrying 2000-3000 dollars

they can and will confiscate it. Almost impossible to get back and those that confiscate the assets are the people you appeal to. The

assets are kept by the individual police departments to spend how they wish with no restrictions. Billions and billions legally but

unethically confiscated. Makes the Thai police departments look like complete amateurs. tongue.png

• Like 1

Welcome to the new order its called military rule and marshal law.wink.png

So you have evidence that the families claims are true?

They will be pleased, you should pass it on to them.

And do you have evidence that the "evidence" has been filed and stored correctly and is not being miss-appropriated by the soldiers?

"Instead of storing the confiscated items in a state agency, the soldiers retained them for personal use, Suphee said."

wai2.gif wai.gif

And do you have evidence that the "evidence" has been filed and stored correctly and is not being miss-appropriated by the soldiers?

Evidence? Not tainted or manipulated in Thailand?

Such childish demands from the newly emerging army apologists in TV are an exercise in futility.

For the information of the army apologists (Amazing Farangs in Thailand) the dozens of Bangladeshis who were recently freed from the army traffickers are retained in Thailand and the District commissioner is demanding of the central government that the army brass doing the trafficking be punished.

Want evidence? Search for it and do not take the easy, lazy way of putting the onus on other people's shoulders.

"Instead of storing the confiscated items in a state agency, the soldiers retained them for personal use, Suphee said."

wai2.gif wai.gif

Tell us again about the baggage handlers, Schappelle.

In the USA things are much simpler. Just Google "civil forfeiture" The police pull you over for a minor traffic offence. Ask how how

much cash you are carrying. You tell them. If it is higher than what they think a regular person should be carrying 2000-3000 dollars

they can and will confiscate it. Almost impossible to get back and those that confiscate the assets are the people you appeal to. The

assets are kept by the individual police departments to spend how they wish with no restrictions. Billions and billions legally but

unethically confiscated. Makes the Thai police departments look like complete amateurs. tongue.png

Google probable cause.

I have been stopped in the USA in different states driving my cars for different reasons. Not a single time was.I ever asked how much money I was carrying or who I was, etc. For your information, there is something called due process in the USA.

Your defense of the BIB is simply biased.

If there is something the BIB never has had is probity or professionalism.

Posts in the BIB are never the result of a police academy months long training. For the most parts, those who wear the brown uniform have either paid for it or are payment to others for political debts. Not all are crocked but they are woefully devoid of training or strict ethics.

That is the way the BIB has been dysfunctional for nearly a century.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Did you miss the part that reads, "Instead of storing the confiscated items in a state agency, the soldiers retained them for personal use," ? You cite procedures common to Western criminal proceedings but you know Thailand has its own "unique" process of law.

Evidence? Not tainted or manipulated in Thailand?

Such childish demands from the newly emerging army apologists in TV are an exercise in futility.

For the information of the army apologists (Amazing Farangs in Thailand) the dozens of Bangladeshis who were recently freed from the army traffickers are retained in Thailand and the District commissioner is demanding of the central government that the army brass doing the trafficking be punished.

Want evidence? Search for it and do not take the easy, lazy way of putting the onus on other people's shoulders.

So who is the army apologist? It is certainly not Khwaibah. I've never got the impression that Bluespunk was and I know that I am not.

I am going to take your advice. I am going to go and interrogate the soldiers and the family. Then I am going to get some warrants and inspect where all of the evidence has been stored. Then I am going to check the bank accounts in question to see if there has been any cash withdrawn since the cards were confiscated. I think I will get a warrant for all CCTV footage while I am at it.

I've been so childish and lazy. I am going to stop speculating and get out there and get to the bottom of this case. clap2.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1