Thaksin gained most from coup, Chalerm claims

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Prayut is not stupid enough to do such a thing because one day he has to step down and continue living in the country. It is unlikely he would do anything which brings negative consequences onto himself."

This would definitely be considered a "veiled threat"!

I wonder how Prayuth will react to it?

It is reality.

Prayuth has mounted a tiger, if he ever wants to dismount without being devoured, there a certain things that he cannot do.

The General, though he appears not to realise it, is in a truly unenviable position.

Thaksin on the other hand, is sitting pretty.

Chalerm had a case to make but his comments don't support it.Most of us will have recognised his errors and illogicalities.Interestingly he attaches much more reliance on Thaksin personally than reality justifies (perhaps reflecting his godfather mentality).In my view Thaksin has no further personal role in Thai politics other than his current indirect one.So in short one can dismiss Chalerm's meanderings.

But there is a case that Thaksin has "won" or rather that the old order has lost - even against the background of current events which might seem to demonstrate the opposite.What's happening in Thailand is hardly unique - a shift of power from established elites to a wider grouping.In UK this happened in the mid nineteenth century and thereafter.There was a historic compromise in which the old order was allowed to retain wealth and influence.The British upper classes showed intelligence and enlightened self interest in the way that their Thai equivalents generally have not.In fact the latter have generally shown extreme stupidity.The real objective of the Junta and its backers is to root out "Thaksinism".I don't really understand how this will be done.One can exile the man in established Thai tradition and ban his family/friends/associates from office - but to repress the forces he stood for is impossible, like King Canute commanding the sea to retreat.For many including me it's irritating that such a man as Thaksin - vain, overbearing and corrupt - holds this role.But hold it he does and he has changed the course of Thai politics forever.But ultimately his role is just that of a catalyst.

So you call thaksin the new order? Heaven forbid. General please stay 10 years at a minimum.

• Like 1

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why does Chalerm even make these statements? "Chalerm believes there are only two scenarios that could lead to a Pheu Thai defeat: Thaksin dies or quits politics."

Didn't Thaksin assert that he was finished with politics? Or, is was this a lie?

Terminalogical inexactitude.

An honest mistake.

Depend how you look at it.. it's akin to someone who get the shit belted out of him only to

find comfort in the fact that now he can have the bruises to show that he survived such beating...

Not being charged with anything YET, means nothing, the statute of limitations on such chargers

last for years and who know down the road someone will decide to press charges....

Chalerm had a case to make but his comments don't support it.Most of us will have recognised his errors and illogicalities.Interestingly he attaches much more reliance on Thaksin personally than reality justifies (perhaps reflecting his godfather mentality).In my view Thaksin has no further personal role in Thai politics other than his current indirect one.So in short one can dismiss Chalerm's meanderings.

But there is a case that Thaksin has "won" or rather that the old order has lost - even against the background of current events which might seem to demonstrate the opposite.What's happening in Thailand is hardly unique - a shift of power from established elites to a wider grouping.In UK this happened in the mid nineteenth century and thereafter.There was a historic compromise in which the old order was allowed to retain wealth and influence.The British upper classes showed intelligence and enlightened self interest in the way that their Thai equivalents generally have not.In fact the latter have generally shown extreme stupidity.The real objective of the Junta and its backers is to root out "Thaksinism".I don't really understand how this will be done.One can exile the man in established Thai tradition and ban his family/friends/associates from office - but to repress the forces he stood for is impossible, like King Canute commanding the sea to retreat.For many including me it's irritating that such a man as Thaksin - vain, overbearing and corrupt - holds this role.But hold it he does and he has changed the course of Thai politics forever.But ultimately his role is just that of a catalyst.

So you call thaksin the new order? Heaven forbid. General please stay 10 years at a minimum.

You have either failed to read or badly misunderstood what I wrote.

I note that Prayut's strategy of ending the old style politics and bringing reconciliation is having the effects (lack of) many of us expected.

You expect it all to be sorted in 5 months?

Why does Chalerm even make these statements? "Chalerm believes there are only two scenarios that could lead to a Pheu Thai defeat: Thaksin dies or quits politics."

Didn't Thaksin assert that he was finished with politics? Or, is was this a lie?

Scenario #1 might be seen as desirable by many of the players in this game.

An astute and balanced assessment of the situation by one in the know (as evidenced by the below quote).

"Chalerm said the controversial "blanket amnesty" brought an end to the Yingluck government because it (finally) provided the PDRC with a valid reason to overthrow the government".

And just think, if the Yellows had let democracy run it's course, Thaksin would probably have been legitimately voted out of office by now.

But at the cost of Thaksin being acquitted. I like it a lot how it went, because of this amnesty we got the junta. Its the end of the PTP and we will see next election. Even if they win (i still think that is probable) the new constitution will have so many new checks and balances that its not as profitable to be in government as it once was.

So everone is a winner except Thaksin.

But it is good to know that finally even the core of the PTP admits that the junta came to be because of Thaksins selfishness.

• Like 2

Vietnam gained most from the coup, with international tourists up 21% in the first 6 months of 2014.

Too early to have exact statistics about investments, but these will be up too.

Asia is riddled with idiots (oops I guess the west is too) running the countries. But at least in the west they are more educated and voters have more control. AND THIS FOOL CHALERM is definitely sending signals to business to run and leave or we will take your money.

I was reenlty in Vietnam sourcing a new venture. $1million AUD that would have been invested in Thailand but now COMMUNIST Vietnam looks safer and better. Whilst I was there, and I was only there 6 months ago also on business, I saw HEAPS of foreign investment. English, Australian, Chinese and USA. I do not see them running to Thailand any more.

even my own Thai partner and staff are hoping for ASEAN so they can leave this corrupt place

It is the legacy of THAKSIN, CHALERM the yellows and all of them. GREED GREED GREED

• Like 1

Missed the drunken fools ramblings. He must have been busy or drunk.

But he does seem to have a taste for superb wines post-9891-0-81181800-1413689838.jpg and the wherewithal to buy them. He might be considered classy were it not for the pink Bentley, his previous careers and his frequent boorish, incoherent outbursts.

http://www.bbr.com/producer-400-petrus

• Like 2

Prayut is not stupid enough to do such a thing because one day he has to step down and continue living in the country. It is unlikely he would do anything which brings negative consequences onto himself."

This would definitely be considered a "veiled threat"!

I wonder how Prayuth will react to it?

If I were Prayuth I'd find him (chalerm) a sponsor at AA

History said Chalerm is right. Reference post '06 coup, PPP won landslide election and again in 2011 by PT. Coup tends to galavanize the support for Thaksin who will close ranks. The neutrals will also tend to take a sympathetic understand of the situation forced upon them and not vote for the Dem or not vote. Take away the hearts and minds of Thaksin supporters are the only chance and that will mean massive populist policies and time. If only the Dem took advantage of the amnesty bill protest, they would have stood a better chance. This coup has not given them any advantage or head start.

• Like 2

Seems to me most of the ex pats on here have also been brainwashed with the totalitarian takeover attitude to media freedom on political views. When a government in the UK wins a general election (democratically i may add) do you see them go and arrest all the previous party MPs and swear them all into silence. Seems like we once had 10s of thousands of Expats here and now we have 10s of thousands of little Hitlers. The man is making a political statement, this is democracy folks let us get back to our core values and get of this dictatorial band wagon.

It seems you're mistaking a coup for an election. When was the last time a government here won an election and arrested any MPs?

Drunk and delusional blabbermouth. Nothing he says ever comes to fruition.

Fade into obscurity please.

Sent from my LG-D858

What the hell is an LG-D858? blink.png

Sent from my Sony Vaio wai2.gif

It's an LG phone. What the hell is a Sony Vaio?? (rhetorical question!!)

• Like 1

Lets face it Prayuth has a huge task on his hands and it doesn't help to have drunken fools ranting in nonsensical ways.

If Prayuth ruled with an iron fist he could change LOS quickly, but his softly softly approach is going to take a lot longer!

Softy approach.. kind of goes against my "Cant point a gun at it" theory.

The economy is feeling softies approach all right..