Thaksin gained most from coup, Chalerm claims

Lite Beer

The point that everyone but Thaksin seems to miss is that empowering and advancing the economic resources of those in poverty does far more than buy votes. It creates a nation of consumers with disposable incomes that get pumped into the national economy; lifting national fiscal health and the quality of life for all instead of a chosen few.

The truly selfish and self-serving are those with influence that keep the Thai population in general poorly educated, linguistically isolated, and believing in ghosts in order to herd them into their factories and incapacitate them from crossing borders to work next year when AEC kicks in.

The truly despicable thing is that the influential schemers are selling out their own populace for personal gain, as the upwardly mobile junior executive positions will become filled by better educated and English-fluent Malaysians, Filipinos, etc.

The AEC will do nothing to allow the general working class (labourers, factory workers, basic office workers etc) to "cross borders" to work.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayut is not stupid enough to do such a thing because one day he has to step down and continue living in the country. It is unlikely he would do anything which brings negative consequences onto himself."

This would definitely be considered a "veiled threat"!

I wonder how Prayuth will react to it?

It is reality.

Prayuth has mounted a tiger, if he ever wants to dismount without being devoured, there a certain things that he cannot do.

The General, though he appears not to realise it, is in a truly unenviable position.

Thaksin on the other hand, is sitting pretty.

Chalerm had a case to make but his comments don't support it.Most of us will have recognised his errors and illogicalities.Interestingly he attaches much more reliance on Thaksin personally than reality justifies (perhaps reflecting his godfather mentality).In my view Thaksin has no further personal role in Thai politics other than his current indirect one.So in short one can dismiss Chalerm's meanderings.

But there is a case that Thaksin has "won" or rather that the old order has lost - even against the background of current events which might seem to demonstrate the opposite.What's happening in Thailand is hardly unique - a shift of power from established elites to a wider grouping.In UK this happened in the mid nineteenth century and thereafter.There was a historic compromise in which the old order was allowed to retain wealth and influence.The British upper classes showed intelligence and enlightened self interest in the way that their Thai equivalents generally have not.In fact the latter have generally shown extreme stupidity.The real objective of the Junta and its backers is to root out "Thaksinism".I don't really understand how this will be done.One can exile the man in established Thai tradition and ban his family/friends/associates from office - but to repress the forces he stood for is impossible, like King Canute commanding the sea to retreat.For many including me it's irritating that such a man as Thaksin - vain, overbearing and corrupt - holds this role.But hold it he does and he has changed the course of Thai politics forever.But ultimately his role is just that of a catalyst.

I have to say that several of your recent posts have been absolutely spot on.

The changes in Britain took many years to achieve. Even in WW1 many soldiers fought and died without having a right to vote. The changes were achieved without the mass violence and revolutions needed as catalysts in continental Europe though. But involvement in 2 world wars were major catalysts for change. I hope Thailand can evolve into a fairer society without any of these types of violent change drivers.

Hopefully the political thinkers who want change will now see Thaksin for what he really is. Chalerm's statements help confirm that, in case anyone is in doubt. Thailand needs a real positive reform party, one that is not allied to particular families and acts in their interests above all else. And that just doesn't exist here at the moment. I know many Thai people who really want change and are sick of the cheating and corruption. But, who will deliver this for them? Getting rid of Thaksin, his family and their influence and their associates won't achieve this in itself. Nothing much seems to be changing yet.

• Like 2

It is reality.

Prayuth has mounted a tiger, if he ever wants to dismount without being devoured, there a certain things that he cannot do.

The General, though he appears not to realise it, is in a truly unenviable position.

Thaksin on the other hand, is sitting pretty.

Chalerm had a case to make but his comments don't support it.Most of us will have recognised his errors and illogicalities.Interestingly he attaches much more reliance on Thaksin personally than reality justifies (perhaps reflecting his godfather mentality).In my view Thaksin has no further personal role in Thai politics other than his current indirect one.So in short one can dismiss Chalerm's meanderings.

But there is a case that Thaksin has "won" or rather that the old order has lost - even against the background of current events which might seem to demonstrate the opposite.What's happening in Thailand is hardly unique - a shift of power from established elites to a wider grouping.In UK this happened in the mid nineteenth century and thereafter.There was a historic compromise in which the old order was allowed to retain wealth and influence.The British upper classes showed intelligence and enlightened self interest in the way that their Thai equivalents generally have not.In fact the latter have generally shown extreme stupidity.The real objective of the Junta and its backers is to root out "Thaksinism".I don't really understand how this will be done.One can exile the man in established Thai tradition and ban his family/friends/associates from office - but to repress the forces he stood for is impossible, like King Canute commanding the sea to retreat.For many including me it's irritating that such a man as Thaksin - vain, overbearing and corrupt - holds this role.But hold it he does and he has changed the course of Thai politics forever.But ultimately his role is just that of a catalyst.

I have to say that several of your recent posts have been absolutely spot on.

The changes in Britain took many years to achieve. Even in WW1 many soldiers fought and died without having a right to vote. The changes were achieved without the mass violence and revolutions needed as catalysts in continental Europe though. But involvement in 2 world wars were major catalysts for change. I hope Thailand can evolve into a fairer society without any of these types of violent change drivers.

Hopefully the political thinkers who want change will now see Thaksin for what he really is. Chalerm's statements help confirm that, in case anyone is in doubt. Thailand needs a real positive reform party, one that is not allied to particular families and acts in their interests above all else. And that just doesn't exist here at the moment. I know many Thai people who really want change and are sick of the cheating and corruption. But, who will deliver this for them? Getting rid of Thaksin, his family and their influence and their associates won't achieve this in itself. Nothing much seems to be changing yet.

The general is attempting a reset. It is doubtful he'll be able to pull it off in time.

With the passing of time it is easy to forget how morally corrupt the previous Shin government was, their lack of ethics, their selfish indifference and disregard for the people they were elected to represent and serve was obvious almost every day.

It is also easy to forget how entrenched they were, with there being layer after layer of appointed cronies, family and friends throughout government at both local and national level. Make no mistake, whatever decisions and changes are made by the present government the fugitive and his shadowy followers will be dissecting them, and planning how to subvert, manipulate and bypass them on their return to power.

They were not in power for so long for no reason, they are intelligent, resourceful, well advised and unashamedly ruthless when it comes to going after what they want. They will not be easy to keep from power, they had their snouts in the trough for a long time and will be hell bent on returning to continue feeding at the public's expense. This country could not afford for the maladministration and excesses of the previous government to continue, neither can it afford for them to return!

There was no alternative to the previous forced change in government, this was recognized by the people who could make the required decisions for the sake of the country and NOT to line their pockets or those of their friends. If this present government has to stay in place longer than previously thought then so be it, we all knew change would not be easy or quick after the damage previously done. The changes currently being enacted in all spheres may not be universally popular, but they are required and should be applauded when instigated.

This current administration may not be perfect, no doubt mistakes will be made along the road, but they must be supported! A return to what we had before would be an unmitigated disaster for Thailand and it's people.

They both deserve so much better...

"There was no alternative to the previous forced change in government, this was recognized by the people who could make the required decisions for the sake of the country"

You really believe that don't you - there could be no other reason? 12 "successful" coups and still some people believe that "this one will be different"......................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

An astute and balanced assessment of the situation by one in the know (as evidenced by the below quote).

"Chalerm said the controversial "blanket amnesty" brought an end to the Yingluck government because it (finally) provided the PDRC with a valid reason to overthrow the government".

And just think, if the Yellows had let democracy run it's course, Thaksin would probably have been legitimately voted out of office by now.

astute and balanced? Chalerm???

• Like 1

Stuttering Parrot, you say that the kho tao incident is causing the general problems and i agree with you. But you have been one of the RTP's biggest defenders on many threads, so do you mean his problem is because he is backing the RTP or because he is being stupid standing up for the RTP and it will be his downfall.

There is a key paragraph in the article that seems to be overlooked:

"Once the election is held, Thaksin's name will continue to be sellable in the North and Northeast, except if the military-installed government can solve the economic problems of rural people. If that happens, Pheu Thai's chances of an easy win will have to be re-evaluated."

But I don't think the yellow shirts and their friends in the military are interested in helping anyone but themselves.

If they just could get it through their heads that helping the rural folks who are struggling, it not only would benefit themselves but the country as a whole.

It just seems that the greedy won't give up any of their material position and possessions. And most have more than they can spend in their lifetime.

BTW - this is true all over the world, not just here in Thailand.

• Like 1

Counting chickens before eggs get hatched. Running on silly assumption one man, one vote. That sort of reasoning won't sit well with Democrats as it rules out possibility of a win. Must reform democracy to ensure old elite win, regardless of what people want. Suggest look at early version of US Constitution: count Isaan and red supporters as 3/5 a person, like USA did for slaves. Maybe could win then....

• Like 1

the controversial "blanket amnesty"

well amnesty for the one who ruin a whol country...this is the first big mistake not to do if you want to be a bit credible as a new boss.....but in the elite they are not so many, and they know each other very very well...for them...it is like a game . today i am the boss and i give you my perdon and if one day this happen to me ...you'll do the same to me. only some have more rancoeur than others.

corruption is everywhere because the human been as never enough from everything even when they have everything.

coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Excellent post.

Your logic is hard to argue with. Although it is debatable how long the Red Shirt movement would last without Thaksin. The same hypothetical question could be asked about what effect Hitler's removal in the early 1930s would have had on the Nazi Party. How much influence do charismatic personalities have, as opposed to the ideologies they espouse.

Unrelated to the content of your post; allow me to suggest that you use the space bar after your full stops.

The point that everyone but Thaksin seems to miss is that empowering and advancing the economic resources of those in poverty does far more than buy votes. It creates a nation of consumers with disposable incomes that get pumped into the national economy; lifting national fiscal health and the quality of life for all instead of a chosen few.

The truly selfish and self-serving are those with influence that keep the Thai population in general poorly educated, linguistically isolated, and believing in ghosts in order to herd them into their factories and incapacitate them from crossing borders to work next year when AEC kicks in.

The truly despicable thing is that the influential schemers are selling out their own populace for personal gain, as the upwardly mobile junior executive positions will become filled by better educated and English-fluent Malaysians, Filipinos, etc.

There are several relevant and accurate comments contained within these posts, with possibly the most important being about Thai education.

Yes it's true the Shin dynasty understood perfectly how to appease the masses with a scattering of subsidies and cash, but this was done while plundering the Thai economy. In the years to come what will be the true (or real) cost to everyone in this country of the billions/trillions of Baht lost to the people who need it most?

Theirs was a regime that did not want an educated and knowledgeable population, far easier to placate and manipulate a docile and trusting rural class if they cannot read or understand political maneuvering.

It should be a (if not the) top priority of every government, no matter what their political leaning, to improve the educational system and standards for all Thais. I am no expert on the Thai educational system but I don't see the concerted efforts or improvements over recent years, if the same effort and resources that went into the failed rice scheme was expended on the education system where would we be?

• Like 1

An astute and balanced assessment of the situation by one in the know (as evidenced by the below quote).

"Chalerm said the controversial "blanket amnesty" brought an end to the Yingluck government because it (finally) provided the PDRC with a valid reason to overthrow the government".

And just think, if the Yellows had let democracy run it's course, Thaksin would probably have been legitimately voted out of office by now.

The people have the democratic right to protest.

When a govt is trying to pass an amnesty bill for criminals and corrupt politicians because their leader is both they are especially entitled to do so.

The right to protest inept govt and corruption is part of democracy.

and yet so many on here (and elsewhere) cheered very loudly when their right to protest (along with various other rights) were summarily stripped by the Junta...

• Like 2

Prayuth is getting more popular by the day. Approval ratings keep increasing. Thais love him. They see in him the first PM that puts the country first. Soon they will be begging him to stay in power. You will be amazed. Good times ahead for Thailand. Chalerm is the one that destroyed PT. The more he talks the better for the army. The coup revealed Thaksin's underground network of red militia. So I don't see how it was good for Thaksin.

What Chalerm is doing here is in fact very selfish. He needs Thaksin to stay involved with politics so he can come back into the spotlight again. Even get another high position. He will use this for his own benefits. Thaksin will never come back to Thailand if Chalerm is still around. Chalerm is one of Thaksin's biggest problems.

Satire?

Prayuth is getting more popular by the day. Approval ratings keep increasing. Thais love him. They see in him the first PM that puts the country first. Soon they will be begging him to stay in power. You will be amazed. Good times ahead for Thailand. Chalerm is the one that destroyed PT. The more he talks the better for the army.

The honeymoon is ending.

Day by day, things are getting worse for the General.

Citizens, from across the spectrum, are gaining courage and starting to speak out.

Gaffes are piling up.

The economy is looking wobbly.

Slowly, slowly....

Very soon (within a year) it will be the beginning of the end for this particular regime

Merely wishful thinking. :)

excuse me if I think this article was created based on second or third-hand rumors. Even with one "quote", this sounds like a thoroughly unsourced/verified article.

The last quote that the 'PM' won't rewrite the charter to the benefit of the military and the royalists with the intent of excluding others doesn't reflect reality - that is exactly what will happen, and Chalerm of all people would understand that .

It just sounds like the journalist pulled this article out of his a_=$$ to meet a deadline.

What never ceases to amaze me, is that so many expat (farang) guests (by the good graces of Thai Immigration) in LOS, seem to (always) be so "knowledgeable" about the intricate workings of "internal" Thai politics, yet know so little about what's happening in their own home countries.

With the U.S., and Europe (UK included) on the brinks of total economic collapse, controlled by private (gestapo-style) police state corporations, resulting from centuries of governmental rule, by the most sophisticated corruption syndicates, in human history, one would THINK you chaps would be more focused upon minding your own (home grown) political businesses, and less about THAI-TANIC.

The LOS, regardless of it's political "imperfections", has absolutely no percentage of it's population, worried about where their next meal is coming from whistling.gif

Edited by metisdead

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With the passing of time it is easy to forget how morally corrupt the previous Shin government was, their lack of ethics, their selfish indifference and disregard for the people they were elected to represent and serve was obvious almost every day.

It is also easy to forget how entrenched they were, with there being layer after layer of appointed cronies, family and friends throughout government at both local and national level. Make no mistake, whatever decisions and changes are made by the present government the fugitive and his shadowy followers will be dissecting them, and planning how to subvert, manipulate and bypass them on their return to power.

They were not in power for so long for no reason, they are intelligent, resourceful, well advised and unashamedly ruthless when it comes to going after what they want. They will not be easy to keep from power, they had their snouts in the trough for a long time and will be hell bent on returning to continue feeding at the public's expense. This country could not afford for the maladministration and excesses of the previous government to continue, neither can it afford for them to return!

There was no alternative to the previous forced change in government, this was recognized by the people who could make the required decisions for the sake of the country and NOT to line their pockets or those of their friends. If this present government has to stay in place longer than previously thought then so be it, we all knew change would not be easy or quick after the damage previously done. The changes currently being enacted in all spheres may not be universally popular, but they are required and should be applauded when instigated.

This current administration may not be perfect, no doubt mistakes will be made along the road, but they must be supported! A return to what we had before would be an unmitigated disaster for Thailand and it's people.

They both deserve so much better...

"There was no alternative to the previous forced change in government, this was recognized by the people who could make the required decisions for the sake of the country"

You really believe that don't you - there could be no other reason? 12 "successful" coups and still some people believe that "this one will be different"......................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Actually fabie, nobody yet knows if it will or won't be different.

But never mind, it seems to make you happy to be as negative as possible.

And we all know why.

• Like 1

The thai people have been robbed twice by coups and their demroracy shredded along with the constitution .

The yellow elite propaganda machine while working overtime at the beginning of this latest farce but now the wheels are falling off and the people are starting to wake up that this latest coup is of no benefit to them and it's just the same old grab for power that they can't win legit so they take by force

Unfortunately for the yellows the ones they refer to as buffalo brains are not quite that stupid and love their demroracy and their elected leaders who win time and time again via the ballot box.

Preventing them from voting then taking away their elected leader in yingluck has the exact opposite effect on the people on which the yellow elite desire .

Hold an election tomorrow and the PTP would walk in and the junta knows it that's why anywhere yingluck goes she is closely monitored because they know how popular she is.

You know the people are wearing thin of this government when you have seen the press over the last couple of weeks asking a little bit harder questions of the government and the angry no responsive answers they are receiving .

Koh Tao is a big player in all of thus as the PM has thrown his weight behind the RTP which is looking very shaky.

i think you must drink at the same Wine bar as Chalerm. Both of you stutter the same old Red-Shirt rhetoric which is very tiresome. The majority of people have moved on. Time to climb down from your bar Stool and do the same.

• Like 2

Why does Chalerm even make these statements? "Chalerm believes there are only two scenarios that could lead to a Pheu Thai defeat: Thaksin dies or quits politics."

Didn't Thaksin assert that he was finished with politics? Or, is was this a lie?

A better question is, why is Chalerm allowed to make these statements, given the current structure of government. Surely, Chalerm measured the consequences of making this statement, and he decided to so no matter how agitating it might be.

However, Chalerm believes there are only two scenarios that could lead to a Pheu Thai defeat: Thaksin dies or quits politics.

Hmmm, a couple of good ideas there. Just when you think the worm wouldn't know the truth if he fell over it, he comes up with this nugget, which we all know to be true.

Chalerm said the controversial "blanket amnesty" brought an end to the Yingluck government because it provided the PDRC with a valid reason to overthrow the government.