Manchester City

mrbojangles

It is easy to mock City's pretensions and excesses, but harsh to hold them solely responsible. Yes, even without Platini's new rules they would have spent big in the hope of entering the Champions League next season; but the utter abandon of their activity this summer is another gift to football from UEFA.

Total load of old babblecock, they were always going to spend big money regardless of UEFA financial regulations coming in soon.

Read it again Alfie, he already said that.

He mentions the buying of Milner as some sort of way of increasing there budget when the new regulations kick in but fails to mention that all players values could deppreciate by then thus Milner could be worth peanuts ;) .

The point he was making was about how much you can spend in the future and how the clubs can account for it. He wasn't speculating on what could happen to players valuations.

Total load of old babblecock, they were always going to spend big money regardless of UEFA financial regulations coming in soon.

He mentions the buying of Milner as some sort of way of increasing there budget when the new regulations kick in but fails to mention that all players values could deppreciate by then thus Milner could be worth peanuts ;) .

Samuel's West Ham, what does he know about anything ?? :D

Read it again Alfie, he already said that.

Fair enough, so 1 minute he is saying they spent big because of the financial regulations coming up, then he is saying that they would have spent anyway to get into the champions league, so what is the point of the article ;)

the point he was making was about how much you can spend in the future and how the clubs can account for it. He wasn't speculating on what could happen to players valuations.

i know the point he was making :o but his scenario which was based around City wouldn't work too well if players were only worth say 60% of what they paid for them, who said he was speculating on players valuations ? but perhaps he should have been as it is all related.

Edited by alfieconn

the point he was making was about how much you can spend in the future and how the clubs can account for it. He wasn't speculating on what could happen to players valuations.

i know the point he was making :o but his scenario which was based around City wouldn't work too well if players were only worth say 60% of what they paid for them, who said he was speculating on players valuations ? but perhaps he should have been as it is all related.

But the article wasn't about what players could or could not be worth. It was about how much clubs will be able to spend after Platini gets his way.

Additionally, I really don't think Sheikh Mansour is too bothered about losing money on players at this stage (he has just thrown a 1billion pounds loose change into regenerating the area around our ground). Apparently (and I don't know the full ins and outs)but the club hasn't got itself into debt over the money that has been spent on players. He loans the club the money to buy the players and then converts the loan into shares in the club (that he already owns). When I heard this myself, I had a big sigh of relief because if he ever walked away we wouldn't be in a financial mess owing hundres of millions.

edit:- to try and fix the quotes

Edited by mrbojangles

But the article wasn't about what players could or could not be worth. It was about how much clubs will be able to spend after Platini gets his way.

Read again BJ, like i said if the re-sale value is down then it decreases the amount clubs have to spend after the new regulations come in apparently ;)

Then, if Milner is later sold, the fee received counts as money coming into the club and helps increase the size of the budget. City's owners, unlike most rivals, actually have the capital to do this. They may not be as silly as they look.

Edited by alfieconn

Read again BJ, like i said if the re-sale value is down then it decreases the amount clubs have to spend after the new regulations come in apparently ;)

Of course it will Alfie. But the point is that by spending now and having the outgoing in this years books and not ammortising the costs over 4 or 5 years, we have built up a portfolio of assets that can be sold later as an income. Thereby increasing the amount that we will be able to spend in the future.

It's just cooking the books and most of the rich clubs will be thinking of ways of getting round Pratinni's new rules.

From skysports:-

City ease into group stage

Man City 2 - 0 FC Timisoara

Dominant Blues through after goals by Wright-Phillips and Boyata

Manchester City are through to the group stage of the Europa League after claiming a comfortable 2-0 win in the second leg of their play-off against FC Timisoara.

Shaun Wright-Phillips and teenage Belgian defender Dedryck Boyata scored in each half for a dominant City side, who secured a 3-0 aggregate victory.

Aston Villa and Celtic crashed out on Thursday night while Liverpool laboured through their play-off but City's progression was never in doubt.

Roberto Mancini made seven changes to the side which beat Liverpool 3-0 on Monday but the big-spending Blues still fielded a star-studded line-up.

The Romanian visitors frustrated them during the first half until Wright-Phillips broke the deadlock just before the break.

Boyata, handed his first appearance of the season along with Patrick Vieira, then headed home just before the hour mark for his first senior goal.

The Blues will now eagerly anticipate the group stage draw, which takes place at noon on Friday.

With new captain Carlos Tevez given a breather on the bench, Vincent Kompany was named skipper for the evening while goalkeeper Joe Hart, Micah Richards and Nigel de Jong were the other City players to remain from Monday's hugely-encouraging win over Liverpool.

Yet despite switching things around, Mancini was still able to call on two World Cup winners in Spanish playmaker David Silva and French veteran Vieira.

City got off to a flying start with De Jong racing forward before firing in a shot that brought the best out of goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon.

That set the tone and Timisoara were again forced on the back foot in the 12th minute when Jo, making his first City start for 19 months, showed good footwork before firing through the goalmouth.

The Brazilian striker, who appears to have won favour with Mancini after loan spells with Everton and Galatasaray, was partnered up front by Emmanuel Adebayor.

City kept up the pressure and almost opened the scoring in the 37th minute, when Jo had a header tipped over from Silva's cross.

Then Adebayor squandered a good chance when he burst through following Jo's tackle to fire narrowly wide of the far post.

City eventually got their reward, though, as De Jong picked out Vieira and he split the defence with a glorious through-ball for Wright-Phillips to sweep the ball home from 14 yards.

Timisoara rallied briefly during the second half as substitute Ianis Zicu's long-range effort kept Hart alert.

But the hosts made it 2-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate as Boyata lost his marker at the far post to head home from Silva's inswinging free-kick from deep on the City right.

That goal sparked a fierce spell of pressure from City which saw Adebayor waste a great chance to grab the goal his work-rate warranted, firing wide from close range following a dreadful back-pass by Ovidiu Burca.

Then Silva saw a close-range effort blocked by Pantilimon before Jo headed narrowly wide from the resulting corner.

It was becoming little more than a training exercise with City spraying the ball about before Silva cut inside late on and fired in a shot that Pantilimon did well to push high into the night air

You can stick your dirham, pounds, dollars and oil up your camel's arse!!!

Losing to poor old Sunderland ... what is the world coming to eh?????

Ha'way the lads!!!

And you really come and gloat about that performance. Sad really, if you think that performance was worth gloating over. A better gentleman would have admitted to getting stuffed and stealing the points. We played at your ground and took the game to you. I've really no axe to grind with Sunderland but after your comment, I really hope that you get what is inevitably coming to you. You cannot go through a season and play like that at home and hope to get that lucky every week.

Ha'way the lads!!!

And you really come and gloat about that performance. Sad really, if you think that performance was worth gloating over. A better gentleman would have admitted to getting stuffed and stealing the points. We played at your ground and took the game to you. I've really no axe to grind with Sunderland but after your comment, I really hope that you get what is inevitably coming to you. You cannot go through a season and play like that at home and hope to get that lucky every week.

As a unbiased observer i thought sunderland was the better team in the 2nd half and mancini having three holding midfielders whats that all about he is to negative away from home mancini should go back to selling ice cream,money cannot buy point or a heart to the team,you was out thought and out muscled.

Ha'way the lads!!!

Wow, about as gracious in defeat as a Red Manc...:D

Ha'way the lads!!!

Singer, just because you have had a lot more practice at it......

Singer, just because you have had a lot more practice at it......

Makes us decent people ?? :D

As a unbiased observer i thought sunderland was the better team in the 2nd half and mancini having three holding midfielders whats that all about he is to negative away from home mancini should go back to selling ice cream,money cannot buy point or a heart to the team,you was out thought and out muscled.

Yeah right nev.

Funny how every commentator was saying that City looked like they were the home team, the way we was playing. But I suppose I will accept you non biased expertise over there's eh ;)

Ha'way the lads!!!

In fairness Singhy, I am normally gracious in defeat (no choice being a city fan, you have to get used to it) but to gloat about that performance is ridiculous. As I said, a real gent would have said how lucky they were to steal the points.

Ha'way the lads!!!

Come on Nev!!

I am the first to criticise City when they play badly. But they really didnt play that bad.

The best you can say about Sunderland is that they were extremely lucky, and that the adverse weather conditions didnt affect them as much as they did City.

You mention 3 holding midfielders?? You talking about Barry? (who scored last week against Liverpool) Toure? who was magnificent in the first half and who ran half the length of the field to set up Tevez's sitter. Hardly negative!!!

We were the away side and Hart didnt have a save to make. Tevez should have scored. Adebayor was denied by a fantastic save.

A piece of immature defending at the end cost us.

Out muscled and out thought?? :lol: :lol: . Behave!!

Man City's 25

Shay Given, Joe Hart, Stuart Taylor

Jerome Boateng, Wayne Bridge, Aleksander Kolarov, Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott, Shaleum Logan, Micah Richards, Kolo Toure, Pablo Zabaleta

Gareth Barry, Nigel de Jong, Adam Johnson, Michael Johnson, James Milner, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Patrick Vieira, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Emmanuel Adebayor, Jo, Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tevez

Come on Nev!!

I am the first to criticise City when they play badly. But they really didnt play that bad.

The best you can say about Sunderland is that they were extremely lucky, and that the adverse weather conditions didnt affect them as much as they did City.

You mention 3 holding midfielders?? You talking about Barry? (who scored last week against Liverpool) Toure? who was magnificent in the first half and who ran half the length of the field to set up Tevez's sitter. Hardly negative!!!

We were the away side and Hart didnt have a save to make. Tevez should have scored. Adebayor was denied by a fantastic save.

A piece of immature defending at the end cost us.

Out muscled and out thought?? :lol: :lol: . Behave!!

:lol:

4 Man City players started in the England team last night and 6 finished the game. Hart, Barry, Lescott, Milner, Adam Johnson and Shaun Wright-Phillips. Who would have thought that a few years ago. :D

Well done to Johnson, scoring again.

If youd asked me a few years ago id have said Joe Hart, Micah Richards, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Johnson, Joey Barton and Daniel Sturridge could have been in the England squad in a few years time.

4 Man City players started in the England team last night and 6 finished the game. Hart, Barry, Lescott, Milner, Adam Johnson and Shaun Wright-Phillips. Who would have thought that a few years ago. :D

Well done to Johnson, scoring again.

If youd asked me a few years ago id have said Joe Hart, Micah Richards, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Johnson, Joey Barton and Daniel Sturridge could have been in the England squad in a few years time.

I think Micah will get there one day. Joey turned out to be a total liability, Micheal Johnson has had some really bad luck and although I don't doubt Sturridge's potential, it will probably be his attitude that will let him dowm. Arrogant git.

From the City website:-

Balotelli to have knee surgery

Striker Mario Balotelli is to undergo surgery on his injured knee that could rule him out for up to six weeks.

Roberto Mancini's summer capture from Inter has flown back to Milan with key Barclays Premier League clashes against champions Chelsea and top-four rivals Arsenal looming at City of Manchester Stadium.

Balotelli, who damaged the knee during his scoring debut against Timisoara in Romania last month, will also miss the Europa League group home game against his old rivals Juventus.

The Italian's injury is to the lateral meniscus, one of the two most crucial structures in the knee, and medical wisdom is to try and encourage the problem to heal without recourse to an operation.

It was hoped that the symptoms would settle down but once Balotelli began to step up his recovery programme this week, it became clear that action would need to be taken.

From skysports:-

City stroll past Salzburg

Blues barely break a sweat as they go straight to the top of Group A

Manchester City made a winning start to their Europa League group campaign by cruising to a 2-0 victory over Red Bull Salzburg.

City barely broke a sweat in Salzburg as the Austrian champions posed few problems for the big-spending Blues, who have set their sights on winning this season's competition after missing out on the Champions League.

David Silva was recalled and the Spanish playmaker swept City into an eighth-minute lead with his first goal for the club and the summer signing should have claimed his second just before the break.

But Brazilian striker Jo sealed victory as he doubled the advantage in the 63rd minute with his first City goal in two years.

Salzburg were the only team to win all six group games in last season's competition - beating the likes of Lazio and Villarreal home and away before being knocked out in the round of 32.

Yet they offered very little resistance against a City side that goes straight to the top of Group A ahead of Juventus, who were held to a 3-3 draw at home to Polish minnows Lech Poznan.

City made six changes to the side which drew 1-1 with Blackburn on Saturday with Jo handed his first start for the Blues since December 2008 alongside Carlos Tevez, while Silva was recalled behind the front two.

Silva has had a stuttering start to his City career having missed the start of pre-season after being in Spain's World Cup-winning squad, while the two international breaks since then have seen Silva travel to Mexico and Argentina with the Spain squad.

But Mancini gave the 24-year-old his first start since the play-off first leg against FC Timisoara and he took little time to give a glimpse of why the Italian coach splashed out £26million on him this summer.

Left-back Wayne Bridge, back from injury for his first game this season, turned a low cross back into the box where Ibrahim Sekagya challenged Jo and poked the ball towards Silva, who sidefooted past Gerhard Tremmel right-footed from 14 yards.

Tevez failed to turn another Bridge cross towards goal before twice testing the home keeper in the first half while City centre-halves Kolo Toure and Vincent Kompany dealt competently with the little that Salzburg threw at them.

And Silva should have given City a two-goal cushion at half-time after Gareth Barry's fine pass found Tevez on the edge of the Salzburg box.

The Argentina striker laid it off for the former Valencia man, who chose to check back inside on his left foot rather than shooting and his tame effort was turned wide by Tremmel.

Salzburg rallied briefly after the break but City soon assumed complete dominance of proceedings before Jo gave them some breathing space.

City played short free-kick on the left wing to Nigel de Jong, who rolled it into Silva 25 yards out.

His lay-off found Tevez and although his fierce drive was parried by Tremmel, Jo was on hand to bundle the rebound past the home keeper and confirm his City return.

Just six months after a £17million move from CSKA Moscow in the summer of 2008, he was sent on loan to Everton and he was expected to move on this summer after a further loan spell at Galatasaray last season.

But the 23-year-old has stuck around and done enough to earn a place in both Mancini's Premier League and European squads.

Midfielder Nikola Pokrivac flashed a free-kick wide for Salzburg after Kolo Toure was shown a harsh yellow card.

But City could have extended their lead late on as both Tevez and Silva fired wide as the Blues eased home to give their long-suffering fans plenty to feel positive about ahead of the visit of Italian giants Juve in two weeks' time.

Tick tock ;)

Showing your obvious lack of knowledge and naivety when it comes to English football!!! :rolleyes:

Did you see the team that played last night? Guarantee you will not have heard of half the players.

We are 4th in the league, top of our qualifying group in Europe. So dont you worry, genius.

I would have preferred him playing a stronger 11, but with games against Chelsea and Juventus over the next week, you have to make a decision on what your priorities are for the season.

United obviously realise that the Champions League is way out of their reach this year, and its doubtful that they will finish top 3 this year, so they have their agenda. Each to its own.