Manchester City

mrbojangles

Again from city's web site

Extraordinary General Meeting 14 August 14/08/2007 15:53

Further to the Extraordinary General Meeting held this morning the Club can confirm that a special resolution to re-register Manchester City PLC as a private company under the name of Manchester City Limited has been passed.

Of the votes cast (including proxies) 50,261,018 voted for the resolution and 556,633 voted against it, with 7,087 votes being withheld. In percentage terms, the total vote was 98.9% in favour with only 1.1% voting against.

Good news i think :o

From Skysports

City starlet signs on

Manchester City have handed a new deal to Ishmael Miller, skysports.com understand.

The exciting prospect is a product of City's highly acclaimed academy and has already made 17 first-team appearances for City.

New boss Sven Goran Eriksson is keen to have an English presence in his squad and he sees Miller as a part of the club's long-term future.

The 20-year has now agreed terms on a three-year deal, which seemingly ends suggestions he may be sold.

Miller has been strongly linked with a loan move, which Eriksson may well sanction - but the versatile performer will return to the City of Manchester Stadium, should he leave.

West Brom have been linked and may now try push for a temporary deal

Good news i think :o

From Skysports

City starlet signs on

Manchester City have handed a new deal to Ishmael Miller, skysports.com understand.

The exciting prospect is a product of City's highly acclaimed academy and has already made 17 first-team appearances for City.

New boss Sven Goran Eriksson is keen to have an English presence in his squad and he sees Miller as a part of the club's long-term future.

The 20-year has now agreed terms on a three-year deal, which seemingly ends suggestions he may be sold.

Miller has been strongly linked with a loan move, which Eriksson may well sanction - but the versatile performer will return to the City of Manchester Stadium, should he leave.

West Brom have been linked and may now try push for a temporary deal

Great news i think!!I still maintain that this kid has a hel_l of a lot of talent but unfortuantly his confidence took a bit of a beating last season,however with some(hopefu;;y)first team football with Albion he can re-build this and come back and prove his detractors wrong

Edited by totlanh

Great news i think!!I still maintain that this kid has a hel_l of a lot of talent but unfortuantly his confidence took a bit of a beating last season,however with some(hopefu;;y)first team football with Albion he can re-build this and come back and prove his detractors wrong

Absolutely :o

From skysports:-

Eriksson happy at home :o

Sven Goran Eriksson has praised his home-grown talent after Manchester City's 1-0 win over Derby.

The City manager has brought in an expensive array of foreign names since taking charge at the club, but he was pleased to see his local stars take centre stage.

City recorded the win with a sensational 43rd minute strike from 19-year-old Michael Johnson, but Stephen Ireland and Micah Richards also produced excellent displays much to the delight of Eriksson.

"It's good to see the home-grown boys," Eriksson told Sky Sports News.

"Johnson scored a fantastic goal today, Micah Richards played very well and Ireland had a fantastic match I think.

"Everything looks very positive."

City's next game is the Manchester derby against United on Sunday and Eriksson takes his team into the fixture four points clear of their rivals, but he is intent on keeping his feet on the ground.

"It's a big game against the champions and I look forward to it," Eriksson added.

"We have had a very good start, but there's a long way to go and we must keep our feet on the ground.

"Six points after two games and two clean sheets is very good and it couldn't be better.

"I am quite sure we will play better football in the future as well."

Edited by mrbojangles

Sven: Ron blow for derby duel

City boss Sven Goran Eriksson says it is a "pity" :o neighbours United will be without Cristiano Ronaldo for Sunday's Manchester derby.

Ronaldo picked up a red card at Portsmouth on Wednesday night and misses the Eastlands showdown through suspension. :D:D

The news will be welcomed by City fans, :D but Eriksson feels the game will be poorer without the Portuguese star.

"It is always a pity," he said. "As a fan or a spectator in front of the TV, you want to see the best players perform.

"But they have so many good footballers I think they can put in another one who is of roughly the same standard as well."

With Wayne Rooney already out for two months with a fractured foot and Ronaldo starting a three-match ban City go into the clash on a high.

But the former England boss, who saw his side follow up Saturday's win over West Ham with a 1-0 win over Derby, is not getting carried away.

"It's a big game against the champions and I look forward to it," he added.

"There is a long way to go yet but we have two wins and two clean sheets, so we could not have started much better.

Edited by mrbojangles

Match report from Skysports:-

City end goal drought :D:o

Manchester City ended their home goal drought with a 1-0 win over Derby at the City of Manchester Stadium.

City had not scored at home since the first week of January when Greek striker Georgios Samaras netted against Everton.

However, home-grown talent Michael Johnson finally gave the City faithful something to cheer on 43 minutes.

The 19-year-old played a clever give and go with Brazilian playmaker Elano to waltz through the heart of Derby's defence before beautifully curling past goalkeeper Stephen Bywater with the outside of his right-foot.

Derby manager Billy Davies introduced all his substitutes early in the second half as his side desperately looked to gain a share of the points, but City always looked comfortable and secured the win.

Newly-promoted Derby, full of enthusiasm and fresh from collecting a point against Portsmouth on the opening day, posed City problems.

Indeed, had Kasper Schmeichel not shown the reactions of his dad Peter in racing off his line to smother after Stephen Pearson had wriggled clear of the home defence, City would have found themselves behind.

Exceptionally effective screening the City defence at Upton Park alongside Dietmar Hamann at the weekend, Johnson found himself in more attacking territory against the Rams and was rewarded with his first senior goal.

The England Under 21 international had already sent one drive searing over the Derby bar when he picked up possession just inside the visitors' half.

After shrugging off three would-be tacklers before laying off a pass to Elano, Johnson then continued his surge, collected the return ball and effectively toe-punted a shot past Bywater.

Rolando Bianchi might have bagged a second straight goal after the re-start but his effort lacked power and Bywater was able to save at the second attempt.

City continued to look more likely to increase their lead than Derby were to equalise, although Steve Howard was not far away with a header and Schmeichel slid out to palm Craig Fagan's cross out of harm's way.

Substitute Geovanni embarked on a Roberto Carlos-style run-up before firing a 35-yard free-kick into fellow countryman Elano.

Bulgaria international Valeri Bojinov was eager to make an impression too after replacing Bianchi, but his penalty appeal was turned down as he crashed a cross into Tyrone Mears' chest.

It was more or less the last chance City had as they retreated into their own half, keeping Derby at bay with the minimum of fuss to retain that winning feeling.

Bring on the scum on Sunday :D:o

Yeah :D

from the bbc:-

O'Driscoll to capture Mills again

Doncaster are set to sign Manchester City defender Matthew Mills on a six-month loan deal.

The 20-year-old previously played under Rovers boss Sean O'Driscoll in a loan spell at Bournemouth when he was a Southampton player.

Mills also had a loan spell at Colchester last term.

"He is quick and strong in the air - he has got everything. It's just a case of putting it all together at the same time," O'Driscoll told Rovers' website.

Mills has started just one Premier League game since joining City from Southampton in January 2006.

From the bbc:-

Man City take Thai trio on trial

Manchester City have taken three Thai internationals on a two-week trial.

Defender Kiatprawut Saiwaew, 21, defender Suree Sukha, 25, and striker Teerasil Dangda, 19, have travelled with Thailand coach Chanvit Polchovin.

"We're going to look at them over the next two weeks," said City boss Sven Goran Eriksson.

"It's good to have connections with another country, and they are full internationals so they will be good players," added Eriksson.

City are owned by former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who took over the club earlier in the summer.

"Of course we've a great connection with that country," said Eriksson, referring to City's new owner.

"The way this club brings on young players is a strength of ours, so they will all have the chance to do well here."

Sven: No problem with Fergie

Sven Goran Eriksson is looking forward to pitting his wits against Sir Alex Ferguson in Sunday's Manchester derby.

During his time as England boss Ferguson had a number of disagreements with Ferguson about how he should use Manchester United players in friendly games.

But Eriksson is eager to move on and is relishing the prospect of managing Manchester City against their fierce rivals at the weekend.

"There's no problem between me and Alex," the Swede said in The Sun.

"We might have had different opinions regarding United and the national team, especially concerning friendly games, but we also had a lot of dinners together, so there's nothing personal there at all.

"One thing is for sure. I won't be taking Alex's players like I used to."

Cristiano Ronaldo is suspended for the clash with City and Wayne Rooney is out injured, but Eriksson is not overly pleased the pair are missing.

Eriksson is still anticipating a very difficult game against a United side that is four points below City after two games of the season.

"It is a pity, as fans want to see the best players performing," he said of Rooney and Ronaldo.

"United still have plenty of other players though."

skysports:-

Sven faces Robins clash

Sven Goran Eriksson's Manchester City face a tricky trip to Bristol City in the second round of the Carling Cup.

City, who have won their opening two Premier League games under Eriksson, will travel to Ashton Gate later this month for the second round tie.

The Robins' city rivals, Bristol Rovers have also been handed a lucrative home tie with Premier League side West Ham.

from skysports:

The Sven-sation stops here

Matt Le Tissier's :o verdict for sunday

"I'd love to have seen the odds on United not having won and City having a 100 per cent record going into the first derby of the season.

I don't think Alex Ferguson will be too concerned having drawn the first two games, but I am sure Sven Goran Eriksson is delighted with the start his side have made.

The new signings he has made have clearly made an immediate impact. Some of them we had barely heard of, some of them we had never seen play, but it seems to be working well - so far.

I expected them to beat Derby at home, but I did expect West Ham, at home, to have too much for them on the opening day. OK, West Ham were pretty poor, but Rolando Bianchi and Giovanni got off the mark and City can't really have asked more than that.

It is also nice to see the young English players like Micah Richards and Michael Johnson doing so well.

But for all the excitement and expectation, without question this was always going to be the first real test of what Eriksson has done at Eastlands.

I am sure he has been looking forward to it - and the City fans certainly will be - but I also think it is one that will prove beyond them. "

Last season's head-to-head:

City 0-1 United

United 3-1 City

I just think United, despite their stuttering start, will have too much quality.

Also, having not won either of their opening games for the first time in eight years, they will be fired up for this.

They always are for derbies, but with the spotlight on them and Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney missing, with no wins so far, they will be out to prove a point.

The biggest problem Ferguson has is in attack. When he added Carlos Tevez to his squad you did think the biggest concern would be fitting all those strikers in. But with Louis Saha, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and now Ronaldo and Rooney missing, it is the opposite.

I fancy Ryan Giggs to shuffle forward and support Tevez, which we know he can do, but I am sure Fergie would have liked to have eased his new signing in a bit more. Instead he is plunged into a Manchester derby in only his second game.

John O'Shea came on against Reading and played up front, but I would be surprised if that happens here.

It will be a slight concern that United are not putting their chances away, but as always, you would rather create them and miss them than not create them at all.

But they can't afford a repeat at Eastlands. Four points is nothing to a side like United and there is still a long, long way to go, but it could yet be crucial in their battle with Chelsea.

We all saw what happened at Stamford Bridge when they had Petr Cech and John Terry missing last season and United simply can't afford to fall further behind while there's no Rooney or Ronaldo.

Le Tiss predicts

AWAY WIN: I know City are flying and United are faltering, but three games without a win at the start of the season? I can't see it happening. For all their injuries and suspensions, they are packed with experience and ability and with the world watching and waiting for them to slip up, they will have a point to prove. It won't be easy, but I fancy them to nick it by the odd goal, 2-1.

Matt's main man

CARLOS TEVEZ (MAN UTD): I don't think for a minute he - or Fergie - would have expected him to be their main striker in only his second game, but we all saw last season just what he can do. Sometimes when you leave a club where you were the inspiration and move to a bigger club with better players, you can suddenly have difficulty realising you're just one of several star players and it can take its toll. But I don't think it will happen to Tevez: he seems to have a pretty good temperament and work ethic and I expect him to slot straight in.

Pearce in City claim

Stuart Pearce believes he was nothing more than a "nightwatchman" at Manchester City - and was always in danger of being sacked as manager.

The England Under 21s boss was sacked by City at the end of last season after a disappointing season.

Sven-Goran Eriksson has succeeded Pearce at Eastland and has been handed big money to spend by new owner Thaksin Shinawatra.

Pearce, who was City manager for two years, believes he was always seen as a stop gap until money was found to be invested in the club.

"I was probably the first footballing nightwatchman," Pearce told Radio Five Live.

"I was sent into bat through the night until some money was available - I knew that when I took the club over."

Pearce admitted results ultimately cost him his job.

"If you win more games you stay put in place; if you don't you pay the consequences," added Pearce.

"There's definitely a boredom threshold at any club now, and I paid the price.

"Whether I was there or if a new manager came in, there's no doubt new investment was needed.

"I've got a lot of time for the club and I'm pleased to see there's some financial input to help push them forward."

I was reading an article today about Sven.

The clubs where he has brought significant silverware have a common denominator. They all wore blue shirts or had the emblem of a bird on their shirts.

Sampdoria..Blue shirts

Benfica....Hawk emblem on shirt

Lazio..Blue shirts and bird emblem

MAN CITY.. Blue shirts and Bird emblem!!!!!!!

Wishful thinking or success awaits?

Defender Kiatprawut Saiwaew, 21, defender Suree Sukha, 25, and striker Teerasil Dangda, 19, have travelled with Thailand coach Chanvit Polchovin.

"We're going to look at them over the next two weeks," said City boss Sven Goran Eriksson.

"It's good to have connections with another country, and they are full internationals so they will be good players," added Eriksson.

City are owned by former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who took over the club earlier in the summer.

"Of course we've a great connection with that country," said Eriksson, referring to City's new owner.

"The way this club brings on young players is a strength of ours, so they will all have the chance to do well here."

been some conjecture about physical size ,

keep us updated please .

been some conjecture about physical size ,

keep us updated please .

They won't be eligable for a work permit. This appears just to be a PR stunt.

pardon my ignorance mrtoad ,

really ????

No problem mid, my initial understanding was that players are only eligable for a work permit if they have played 75% of International matches in the last two years and the country is ranked on average over the last two years in the top 70 of the FIFA rankings. Thailand are currently ranked at 107 and have not been in the top 70 for some time. Had this discussion with thescouser here who confirmed this to be the case and he reckons they will not be elligable.

Edited by mrtoad

I was reading an article today about Sven.

The clubs where he has brought significant silverware have a common denominator. They all wore blue shirts or had the emblem of a bird on their shirts.

Sampdoria..Blue shirts

Benfica....Hawk emblem on shirt

Lazio..Blue shirts and bird emblem

MAN CITY.. Blue shirts and Bird emblem!!!!!!!

Wishful thinking or success awaits?

pity about england shirts then