Manchester City

mrbojangles

Well, back to second spot. Although not a great performance, i think we deserved the win. Villa are no pushovers, especially after beating Chelsea last week. Well done the blues :o

It may sound harsh, but I think Sven has to think about replacing Schmeichel. Hard decision, I know. The guy's record is great - even saved a penalty - but I think he has had a run of luck that can't continue indefinitely.

I agree with you lawling. The lad has done a good job as stand in and been pretty well protected but me thinks he's not quite ready for the position full time yet.

Personally, i don't see what the big problem is here. His mrs had a mis-carriage he and she at the time, probably didn't want it all over the papers. Although it is now!! :o

Ireland sorry after Republic lie

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has apologised for lying about the reason for his withdrawal from the Republic of Ireland squad.

Ireland pulled out of the Wednesday's match in the Czech Republic shortly after Saturday's draw with Slovakia.

The midfielder cited the death of a grandparent when in fact his girlfriend had suffered a miscarriage.

"I realise now that it was a massive mistake on my part and I deeply regret it," said Ireland.

In a statement on City's official website Ireland explained: "When the game in Bratislava ended our manager Stephen Staunton took me outside the dressing room into the corridor, along with the Ireland team doctor.

"He told me that they had taken a call from my girlfriend, Jessica, and she said my grandmother had died.

"I was deeply shocked because I believed it was my maternal grandmother who had brought me up from when I was five.

"The manager went back into the dressing room to get my phone and when I got it I immediately rang my girlfriend to get more details.

"My girlfriend was distraught and explained that she had just suffered a miscarriage.

"Jessica said she was very lonely and wanted me to come home. She said she thought they might let me home quicker if they thought my grandmother had died.

"When I finished the call I told the manager and doctor that my grandmother had died and because we were very close I wanted to go home immediately.

"The manager said that was no problem and he would get the FAI to sort it out.

"The FAI hired a private jet to get me home and I flew out of Bratislava the following morning. Before I left I told the FAI media officer that the name of my grandmother was Patricia Tallon.

"Early on Monday morning I got a phone call from Stephen Staunton telling me that the FAI had discovered my grandmother in Cork was not dead.

"He wanted to know what was going on and I told him that there had been a mistake and it had been my father's mother. I told him her name was Brenda Kitchener, that she lived in London.

"Jessica and I were still very upset over the miscarriage so we flew home to Ireland for a few days.

On Thursday, I got a phone call from Manchester City stating that the FAI had discovered that my grandmother, Brenda Kitchener, was also alive.

"I decided at that stage that I must tell truth and admit I had told lies.

"The miscarriage that Jessica suffered last Saturday has caused both of us a lot of heartache and had caused us both to panic.

"It was wrong and I sincerely apologise, particularly as I caused a lot of problems for many people.

"I would like to apologise to my grandmothers and all my family for any distress I have caused them.

"Ireland manager Stephen Staunton, my Ireland team-mates, the backroom staff and the FAI also deserve my profound apologies.

"I truly appreciate that the extraordinary lengths they went to put my welfare first and ensure I got home from Slovakia as quickly as possible.

"I am also sorry for causing Manchester City any embarrassment.

"I love playing for my country and am grateful for the understanding Mr Staunton and the FAI have shown to me since I told them the truth.

"I have learnt a valuable lesson from this mess and hope those I have hurt by my actions will forgive me."

Man City's Richards claims award

Manchester City defender Micah Richards has capped a superb spell by picking up the Barclays player of the month award.

The 19-year-old was a key figure as City won their first three games of the season and went on to star for England in their wins over Israel and Russia.

The teenager is the first City player to win the accolade.

Sven-Goran Eriksson made it a club double by winning the manager's award, the first City boss to do so since Stuart Pearce in August 2005.

The City boss said: "Micah deserves the award more than me. He has been absolutely fantastic.

"I don't suppose anyone could argue with him winning the award. How he is playing for us and for England at 19 is absolutely fantastic."

With Eriksson at the helm, City won three successive matches before losing to Arsenal.

He added: "I am honoured of course but I have to say thank you to the staff around me, the players and the new owner (Thaksin Shinawatra).

"He has come up with fresh money to buy new players and there is a lot of work being done here."

From skysports:-

Jackett named Sven's assistant

Manchester City have named Kenny Jackett as Sven Goran Eriksson's temporary No.2.

The move comes as assistant boss Hans Backe, who only joined the club last month, has been placed on compassionate leave.

Backe has returned to Sweden because of a family illness and no date has been set as to when he will return to the City of Manchester Stadium.

Former Swansea boss Jackett has stepped up from his duties as reserve-team manager with former City Academy coach Ian Miller taking on second-string duties.

"As the situation is today, it could stay like this for a while, Hans is temporarily out," Eriksson told the club's official website.

"He is back in Sweden because of an illness in the family, which I am sorry about, but that is a fact.

"At the moment Kenny Jackett from the reserves is coming up with us and Ian Miller will take the reserves.

"We all hope it is a temporary thing and I think strongly that Hans will be back with us again soon."

From skysports:-

Hamann urges City caution

Dietmar Hamann has warned Manchester City supporters not to expect their side to break into the top four this season.

Sven Goran Eriksson brought in a host of new players over the summer but they have settled into Premier League life quickly and City moved up to second in the table on Sunday with a 1-0 victory over Aston Villa.

They have yet to concede a goal at home and Hamann is aware that it will be crucial to stay on top form at Eastlands, if the club is to challenge for European qualification.

But the midfielder also feels it is far too early to be speculating that City could finish in a UEFA Champions League position.

"It won't be easy," he told Sky Sports News. "After ten or 12 games you will see whether the big four make a move and obviously it's very difficult to stay up there.

"Last year we had a very bad home record, and I think that's key this year - to pick up enough points and wins, get a few wins away from home.

"If we can do that we can stay in the top half. But I think we are going to have to wait until Christmas and see where we are then."

Stephen Ireland was left out of the City side against Villa following his controversial withdrawal from Republic of Ireland duty last week.

But Eriksson, who was critical of the player last week, is ready to welcome Ireland back to training.

The Swede said: "He is young. He's an extremely good footballer so we can't afford to lose him.

"When you are young you make some mistakes, you pay for them and life goes on.

"He will be ready for the next game, 100 per cent I think so. He loves to play football."

Nice one :o

Ireland signs new Man City deal

Manchester City's Stephen Ireland has signed a new deal which will keep him at Eastlands until June 2012.

He was involved in recent controversy when he falsely claimed both his grandmothers had died to avoid joining up with the Republic of Ireland squad.

And the 21-year-old was also quoted questioning his future in football on a social networking website.

"The understanding shown to me by Sven-Goran Eriksson, the players and staff has been fantastic," he said.

And Ireland told City's official website he was delighted to commit his future to the club.

"The last week has been extremely difficult for my family and me but it is a terrific boost to sign a long-term deal, which I hope shows my commitment to the club and the fans as well as the club's commitment to me.

"The events surrounding my withdrawal from the Ireland squad last week have been well publicised.

"They not something I want to dwell on. However, I want to reiterate my regret over what happened."

Agreed MrBJ, a good lad to get signed up, but I wasn't so impressed with his excuse for pulling out the squad. That was about as believable as Sir Alex a few years back when Man U got beat at Southampton I think it was. His excuse.........."The players couldn't see each other in the new away strip" that they had at that time. :o

Agreed MrBJ, a good lad to get signed up, but I wasn't so impressed with his excuse for pulling out the squad. That was about as believable as Sir Alex a few years back when Man U got beat at Southampton I think it was. His excuse.........."The players couldn't see each other in the new away strip" that they had at that time. :o

:D

Funny, when I put that grey shirt on and sneaked into the femal only part of the nurses home at the hospital I wasn't invisable, contrary to what Fergie had said about the shirt on the Saturday :D

Richard Dunne = problem attitude = club gives him another chance = he repays by becoming captain and player of the year for the past 3 seasons.

Joey Barton = problem attitude = club gives him another chance, after another chance, etc, etc = he repays by becoming a better player but with more indescretions. GET RID - i'm sure Michael Johnson will be twice the player in 12 months!

Well it didn't take Johnson 12 months did it, he's twice the player of Barton already! Anybody missing Barton...didn't think so.

Does anybody know where Hamann had his legs transplant operation; a remarkable resurrection indeed.

"...the match ended level. 'I'm not sure how to feel,' said Sanchez."

Feel i have to agree. Was that 2 points lost or a point won? Strange game, took us ages to get going in the first half and then we dominated and didn't want half time to come. Second half slow out of the traps, behind again early, dominated again, took the lead, then ended up hanging on.

In the first half i didn't think we would get anything out of the game as we had too many players off their game. All the back line except Garrido were poor (for me micah needs to get his head down and graft again). Ireland was lucky to come out for the 2nd half he was that bad, Johnson didn't look up for it, really it was Hamann and Mpenza grafting and the craft of Eleano (if he gets injured we look stuffed) and Petrov's finishing.

I guess all in all a point was fair.

"...the match ended level. 'I'm not sure how to feel,' said Sanchez."

Feel i have to agree. Was that 2 points lost or a point won? Strange game, took us ages to get going in the first half and then we dominated and didn't want half time to come. Second half slow out of the traps, behind again early, dominated again, took the lead, then ended up hanging on.

In the first half i didn't think we would get anything out of the game as we had too many players off their game. All the back line except Garrido were poor (for me micah needs to get his head down and graft again). Ireland was lucky to come out for the 2nd half he was that bad, Johnson didn't look up for it, really it was Hamann and Mpenza grafting and the craft of Eleano (if he gets injured we look stuffed) and Petrov's finishing.

I guess all in all a point was fair.

A great game for the neutral , played more like a cup tie than a premiership game , good to see :D .

Moment of the match for me though was when Micah Richards squared up to Clint Dempsey and Dempsey shat a brick :o:D .

I've got to say that I can't believe how much Kasper gets away with :D , he is the luckiest keeper in the premiership. He let in 3 last night and it should have been more.

Moment of the match for me though was when Micah Richards squared up to Clint Dempsey and Dempsey shat a brick :o:D

:D:D I think i would have too

I've got to say that I can't believe how much Kasper gets away with :D , he is the luckiest keeper in the premiership. He let in 3 last night and it should have been more.

Yep, i think your right. Time to give Issaakson a chance. I like Kasper but notquite ready yet.

From the BBC:-

Eriksson makes new Chelsea denial

Sven-Goran Eriksson says it was pure coincidence (better had be) :o he ended up sitting near to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich for Sunday's game at Old Trafford.

The Manchester City boss, who has been linked with the Chelsea job, says he did not know where he would be located when he was offered a ticket.

"I had to sit where they told me to sit," the Swede told Radio 5live.

"Most football people in the world wanted to see that game. It has nothing to do with Abramovich or Chelsea."

The 59-year-old Eriksson was courted by the Blues in 2003 but rejected the chance to move to Stamford Bridge in order to remain as England boss.

Now the former Roma, Fiorentina, Benfica, Sampdoria and Lazio coach has been linked with the club again despite Avram Grant's appointment as Jose Mourinho's successor.

Explaining his presence at Old Trafford, Eriksson added: "If I have a free Sunday afternoon and it's Manchester United-Chelsea, it should almost be criminal in my job not to go to see that match. Of course I wanted to see it."

He also said he was content at City, whom he has guided to second in the Premier League table after taking over in July.

"I have a three-year contract here," he said. "No, I don't know anything about the situation in Chelsea."

Sven-Goran Eriksson says it was pure coincidence (better had be) :o he ended up sitting near to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich for Sunday's game at Old Trafford.

The Manchester City boss, who has been linked with the Chelsea job, says he did not know where he would be located when he was offered a ticket.

"Most football people in the world wanted to see that game. It has nothing to do with Abramovich or Chelsea."

The 59-year-old Eriksson was courted by the Blues in 2003 but rejected the chance to move to Stamford Bridge in order to remain as England boss.

Now the former Roma, Fiorentina, Benfica, Sampdoria and Lazio coach has been linked with the club again despite Avram Grant's appointment as Jose Mourinho's successor.

Explaining his presence at Old Trafford, Eriksson added: "If I have a free Sunday afternoon and it's Manchester United-Chelsea, it should almost be criminal in my job not to go to see that match. Of course I wanted to see it."

He also said he was content at City, whom he has guided to second in the Premier League table after taking over in July.

"I have a three-year contract here," he said. "No, I don't know anything about the situation in Chelsea."

I don't want to say it , but..........I told you so :D he's off to Chelsea with the scally wag Mourinho (different spelling every time I write his name) in the opposite direction.

I don't want to say it , but..........I told you so :D he's off to Chelsea with the scally wag Mourinho (different spelling every time I write his name) in the opposite direction.

Not this season though Chavy, I reckon Moronio has probably has signed a contract to prevent him from working in the EPL this season, but would be no suprise if the trecharous Erikkson moves at the end of the season.

but would be no suprise if the trecharous Erikkson moves at the end of the season.

Steady on there MrAnuran, how do you conclude that Sven is "treacherous" ? :D

:o

England and Blackburn both have experience of some of his dealings I do believe.

but would be no suprise if the trecharous Erikkson moves at the end of the season.

England and Blackburn both have experience of some of his dealings I do believe.

For England, he did his contractual time but what's this about Blackburn? :o

Report from skysports on last night win against Norwich. A dull affair with a total team change but did the job :o

Samaras strike sinks Norwich

Greece is the word for City as they sing against Canaries

Georgios Samaras' first goal since January edged Mancester City past Norwich City in the Carling Cup.

The striker, something of a forgotten man after such a busy summer of spending by new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, slotted home in the final minute to settle a drab tie at Eastlands.

A much-changed home line-up struggled to see off the determined Canaries, who fought hard but offered little to suggest an upset was on the cards.

Samaras' goal from Kelvin Etuhu's excellent through ball at least meant there was no need for extra time, a prospect that had looked likely from the opening whistle.

Eriksson assured everyone he was taking the competition - the last major trophy City have won - seriously, then promptly dropped nine of his starting line-up from the weekend draw at Fulham.

Only skipper Richard Dunne and midfielder Stephen Ireland remained and both men, for differing reasons, had missed the previous weekend's win over Aston Villa.

It quickly became apparent most of City's attacks would come through Brazilian midfielder Geovanni.

Unfortunately, his efforts met with little success during a truly awful opening period.

Indeed, the nearest City came to breaking the deadlock was from one of the free-kicks Geovanni did not take, Michael Ball curling an effort towards the top corner which David Marshall unconvincingly fumbled away.

At the other end, England Under-21 international Joe Hart was somewhat more certain of his angles as he flew to his left to steer a 20-yard Jon Otsemobor free-kick away from danger.

And that, in terms of goalmouth action, was more or less it apart from one Samaras shot.

Offered a previously non-existent chance to shine, Samaras flitted about to little effect as he has done for most of his time with City.

However, he did find himself in a bit of space on the half hour, enough to send a low effort curling towards the Norwich goal which Marshall pushed away.

Amid the huge number of youngsters who have graduated from the City academy, some have not quite made the grade.

Winger Lee Croft is one of that number and in his anxiety to impress against his old club, struggled to make an impact.

Yet he could quite easily have put Norwich in front when he benefited from a dubious onside call as he strode on to Otsemobor's touchline pass.

Despite the tightness of the angle, Croft really should have gone for goal himself. Instead he tried to find Jamie Cureton with a square ball and one-time team-mate Nedum Onuoha slid in to clear.

The lack of entertainment was summed up midway through the second period when Norwich manager Peter Grant controlled a punt out of play on his chest and began an impromptu keepie-uppie session which earned the biggest cheer of the entire night.

City substitute Etuhu wasted an opportunity to mark his debut with a winner, while Rolando Bianchi was also off target with a snap-shot as the clock ticked down.

But there was still time for a winner as Etuhu produced the pin-point pass which allowed Samaras to send City into the last 16.

He signed a contract with them, and then changed his mind a and took another job. Can't remember exactly when It was, prob 10 years ago. Sure, that someone will know. As regards England, what about his dealings with the Fake Sheik?

He signed a contract with them, and then changed his mind a and took another job. Can't remember exactly when It was, prob 10 years ago. Sure, that someone will know. As regards England, what about his dealings with the Fake Sheik?

That doesn't make him treacherous. Geez, next you'll be calling our owner a crook :D

That doesn't make him treacherous. Geez, next you'll be calling our owner a crook :D

:bah::o:D

:D:D

Agree Bred and most confess im happy how things are progressing.Thought we were a tad unlucky not taking all 3 points against Fulham and i think as a consequence Newcastle is a big game if we want to keep the optomistic feel going

You could be in for a win against the geordies. For me right now they're a bit vulnerable if need to scrap.

Agree Bred and most confess im happy how things are progressing.Thought we were a tad unlucky not taking all 3 points against Fulham and i think as a consequence Newcastle is a big game if we want to keep the optomistic feel going

You could be in for a win against the geordies. For me right now they're a bit vulnerable if need to scrap.

Yeah, their biggest scrapper (joey barton) is still unfit :o

Yeah, their biggest scrapper (joey barton) is still unfit :o

Mr Bo,

What about Samaras is he worht another go?It looks like bianchi is injured so i certainly would have him on the bench.Apparantly Samaras has been good in training and Sven claims he is getting "better and better"and i must confess i like the way the kid has kept his head down and not bemoaned his fortune.Who knows Pearce,s uncut diamond may come good yet :D

Mr Bo,

What about Samaras is he worht another go?It looks like bianchi is injured so i certainly would have him on the bench.Apparantly Samaras has been good in training and Sven claims he is getting "better and better"and i must confess i like the way the kid has kept his head down and not bemoaned his fortune.Who knows Pearce,s uncut diamond may come good yet :o

I don't know Tot. For me, the jury is still out with Samaras. I agree he has acted very well and not moaned and i would like to see him to succeed. If he is doing that good in training, he needs to learn how to transfer that onto the pitch, on match days.

Here's hoping :D