Manchester City

mrbojangles

Thailand coach convinced Man City serious about Thai talent

September 09, 2007

Thailand coach Chanvit Pholchivin says Manchester City will soon boast Thai players.

Forward Teerasil Daengda, central defender Kiatprawut Saiwaeo and right back Suree Sukha all had recent trials at City and were accompanied to England by Pholchivin.

City were prepared to sign Sukha, but work permit problems thwarted the move.

Pholchivin told The Nation: "All three performed well, not just Suree. However, they considered Suree had a better chance to get into the senior team on the ground of his form and the fact that he was selected as a member of the Asian Cup best eleven in the group stage in July."

Chanvit dismissed the suggestion that Thai players received special treatment during their stay in Manchester and the contract was offered mainly because of the fact that the club owner was a Thai.

"Many see the trial as a privilege but I would say it's an opportunity that the former premier gave to Thai football. Although he could arrange this for us, it was (Sven Goran) Eriksson who has the final say on the issue," he added.

tribalfootball.com

A little bit of a contradiction there in the report. Pholchivin says that the Man City team will soon boast Thai players, yet even the best player is unable to satisfy the requirements for a Work permit. I really don't see much more happening on this front, for sometime yet, other than Thai players going over to train with City. In the future, they may well have Thai players in the squad, however will they ever make the first team is open to debate.

If he seriously beleives that Erikson has the final say on this one, then he is clearly more out of touch with the PR antics going on, than I would have credited him with.

even though the source is international ,

one suspects it was meant for the domestic audience .

Very much agree with you on that.

Interestingly, the whole stunt has had little coverage in the English media with very little made of the fact that 3 Thai players had gone to Man City. Even when the WP was turned down for Suree there was hardly any mention of it in the British sources, which suggests that they either have little interest in it, or beleive it to be nothing more than a tacky PR stunt.

If they are really serious about bringing a Thai player to City why didn't they go for one of the other players that ply their trade in a stronger league such as the Vietnamese , Malaysian or Singapore? Surley one of the players there that are playing regular for a better standard of football would stand a better chance of succeeding in getting a work permit or half a chance of making the first team squad. Isn't this what UTD did with that Chinese lad first? Sent him to Belgium (better standard of football) before bringing him in to the club.

For me it just confimed my original suspicians of a publicity stunt in Thailand to attract interest rather than 100% football related issue. I wish they'd let it go as it's a shame now City have serious money & a serious manager along with a huge following they could make real progress in achieving repectability & success.

Isn't this what UTD did with that Chinese lad first? Sent him to Belgium (better standard of football) before bringing him in to the club.

I think i am correct in the fact that a Chinese player can (or could) get the visa, as they where in the top 70 at the time. So that's a different situation.

As for Suree, apparently he is the best Thai player, he brought 3 over on trial and was expected to keep 2 but just kept 1. Voted the best in the Asian Cup. Personally, i don't have a problem with all this. Thai football could improve as a result of the lads experience in Europe but whatever we think, it's Thaksin's money and upto him how he spends it

Agreed MrBJ. It's up to him how he spends his cash but before he brings these lads over I should have thought his team on the footballing side would've looked into the requirements before doing it.

Looked at the link BTW about Micah, seems an alright down to earth lad.

Agreed MrBJ. It's up to him how he spends his cash but before he brings these lads over I should have thought his team on the footballing side would've looked into the requirements before doing it.

Yep, agreed. Our resident visa expert Scouser could have told them the requirements weeks ago :o

Looked at the link BTW about Micah, seems an alright down to earth lad.

Yeah, just want him to finalise his contract talks now and i'll be happy :D

Isn't this what UTD did with that Chinese lad first? Sent him to Belgium (better standard of football) before bringing him in to the club.

I think i am correct in the fact that a Chinese player can (or could) get the visa, as they where in the top 70 at the time. So that's a different situation.

As for Suree, apparently he is the best Thai player, he brought 3 over on trial and was expected to keep 2 but just kept 1. Voted the best in the Asian Cup. Personally, i don't have a problem with all this. Thai football could improve as a result of the lads experience in Europe but whatever we think, it's Thaksin's money and upto him how he spends it

You are correct about Dong, he was signed bby United as a 17 year old, but he obviously didn't meet the WP requirements. so he spent two years loaned out at Royal Antwerp, which is United's sort of feeder club, inn that they send some of the better players over there to get first team experience. I thin the reason Dong didn't quaify at first was because he did not have enough caps rather than the ranking of China, which has been on average inside the top 70 for a few years.

Sung on the Terraces of The City of Manchster Stadium

"Oh you can freeze 500 million,

and you can freeze 500 more,

Cos Thaksin's got another billion

underneath his bedroom floor,

SHIN-A-WATRA SHIN-A-WATRA!"

Chant of the season so far, from Man City fans to the tune of The Proclaimers' "500 miles". Genius.

I think they'll make an example of him...if he comes back here.

Though I would imagine something will have to give if he's to get his assets unfrozen. Not sure if he or his legal team can do that from afar though, maybe he'll have to come back to do that, but I can see them trying anything to send him and his family down for a stretch.

Has Eriksson's spending been stopped now then? Has he run out of cash for transfers etc?

i like that chant.

does anyone think taksin will end up in prison one day like the guy strada has.

more and more dirt every day keeps getting uncovered.

Well so far the Thai Govt has failed to extradite Pin from the UK and Saxena from Canada (10 year period) so i wouldn't expect Thaksin to be here any time soon.

See City have a Thai supporters club now (+300 people). Also read on here that a bunch of (Thai?) supporters meet at the Novotel Bangna to watch the games.

i like that chant.

Well so far the Thai Govt has failed to extradite Pin from the UK and Saxena from Canada (10 year period) so i wouldn't expect Thaksin to be here any time soon.

See City have a Thai supporters club now (+300 people). Also read on here that a bunch of (Thai?) supporters meet at the Novotel Bangna to watch the games.

Do they get paid to go and watch? :o

i like that chant.

Do they get paid to go and watch? :o

You clearly haven't been watching, we're very entertaining this season!

Agree, , the reference to being paid, was how Thaksin normally gains his supporters. :D

That's a long way to go & watch a game isn't it ? Issan - Bangna :D

:o I'm sure they'll travel if the monies right.

Agree, , the reference to being paid, was how Thaksin normally gains his supporters. :D

It's not as far as those cockney man united fans, travel every week :D

Man City Fan's View Of Villa Clash

Friday September 14 2007

snip

2) What do you think of your new 'colourful' owner and the fact you weren't his first choice? Must admit, I'm relieved he came nowhere near Villa.

Thaksin our new owner has to date done everything he said he would, lets say there should be no politics in football so I wont comment on his past, that said I am very reliably informed that he remains very very popular in Thailand, the military junta to justify there take over of the country must condemn him, most city fans are so far happy with our Frank.

Having a foreign owner is par for the course these days, Villa are in fact American owned, so providing the owners plough the money in and get both City and Villa nearer to the so called top four then who owns the club is irrelevant.

snip

vitalfootball.co.uk

It's not as far as those cockney man united fans, travel every week :D

& I'm sure there's a few that make the pilgrimage with Cornish/Devon accents if I'm not wrong :bah::D

...Cockney Blues!

Thaksin Shinawatra was late for Manchester City's match at Blackburn Rovers last week - due to train delays!

The People says the billionaire chose to catch the train to Ewood Park - and didn't even bother to take a first-class seat.

The exiled former Thai Prime Minister was among the hordes awaiting Virgin's 0835 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly service when an announcement was made, at 15 minutes' notice, that the train had been cancelled.

Thaksin got a later train and made it for the best part of City's game at Blackburn. For the record, that London-Manchester journey costs between £12.50 and £29 if you book early enough... then it's only 15 quid more to upgrade to first class. Behold a man of the people.

...Cockney Blues!

Thaksin Shinawatra was late for Manchester City's match at Blackburn Rovers last week - due to train delays!

The People says the billionaire chose to catch the train to Ewood Park - and didn't even bother to take a first-class seat.

The exiled former Thai Prime Minister was among the hordes awaiting Virgin's 0835 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly service when an announcement was made, at 15 minutes' notice, that the train had been cancelled.

Thaksin got a later train and made it for the best part of City's game at Blackburn. For the record, that London-Manchester journey costs between £12.50 and £29 if you book early enough... then it's only 15 quid more to upgrade to first class. Behold a man of the people.

or tight git...take your pick :o

...Cockney Blues!

"one has to mix with the plebs once in a while does'nt one"

...Cockney Blues!

or tight git...take your pick :o

Well, I'm suprised he didn't jump the train.

Well, back to second spot. Although not a great performance, i think we deserved the win. Villa are no pushovers, especially after beating Chelsea last week. Well done the blues :o

It may sound harsh, but I think Sven has to think about replacing Schmeichel. Hard decision, I know. The guy's record is great - even saved a penalty - but I think he has had a run of luck that can't continue indefinitely.