Manchester City

mrbojangles

Well Aguero certainly seems to have shrugged off whatever it was that was wrong with him last weekend!!

Luckily for you guys eh Carms tongue.png

I think it like any world class player. You just hope not to get them when they are at the top of their game.

A lot of good points here. One doubt I have is if we can play with yesterday's front 4 as they don't contribute defensively. I wouldn't be surprised if Pelle plays Silva plus KdB or Sterling plus Yaya (with Nando and Dinho in central midfield)...at times we are so open.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-sergio-aguero-five-10189354

David Silva is Manchester City's greatest ever player, so why is he so overlooked?

The midfield wizard has taken Colin Bell's tag as the best Man City man in history but gets ignored by the football world.

Ask any regular Manchester City watcher who their best player has been over the last five seasons, and a big proportion will tell you it has been David Silva.No doubt Sergio Aguero's goal feats will earn him a few deserved votes, Yaya Toure's contribution will earn him plaudits, and popular men like Vincent Kompany and Pablo Zabaleta will also have their backers.But there is a body of opinion, shared by this writer, that Silva is the greatest player ever to pull on a Blue shirt.Colin Bell has held that distinction for many years, but the magical little Spaniard a key man in two league titles, an FA Cup and a League Cup has surely taken the mantle.

And yet, to the wider footballing world, Silva remains ignored possibly the most overlooked footballer in history, although former United hero Paul Scholes is a contender.It happened again at the weekend. Aguero rightly took the headlines for scoring five goals in 20 minutes, and equalling the Premier League record.But for many who saw the full 90 minutes, Silva was the best player on show.He has been credited with two assists to Aguero, and should be given the credit for Kun's first goal. His chip to the far post was a gem of vision and execution, but Fernandinho takes the assist for his cushioned header into Aguero's path.

Tasked with giving marks out of ten, I was tempted to make Silva man of the match but bottled it, and went with the general notion that if you score five goals in a game, you have to get the award!And yet BBC pundit Garth Crooks did not hand Silva a place in his Team of the Week.

Silva has been, in terms of consistency, the best player in the league since he first graced these shores in 2010, and yet he has been nominated for the PFA player of the year award ONCE.Now it seems he has been omitted from the 59-strong long list for the Ballon d'Or, even though Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney are included.So why does he not get the credit? One reason is that he is such a shy, retiring type off the field. You rarely see him giving media interviews and never blowing his own trumpet.

The comparison with Scholes, in that regard is valid the former United midfielder only ever made the PFA team of the year twice, to Silva's one.You also cannot escape the fact that playing for City is a factor despite being the best team in England for the past five years, other clubs still get more media attention.Not that any of this will bother Silva too much. The thought of standing in the limelight, having to make an acceptance speech, would probably fill him with horror.He will just keep flitting in the shadows, destroying teams with his quick feet and quicker mind and City fans will continue to adore him

i love watching silva and think he's a wonderful player but that article is just a wee bit biased no? he's also won the world cup and 2 european championships with spain so it's not like he's not recognised.

also, not making garth crooks' team of the week is a massive, ringing endorsement because garth crooks is a moron.

• Like 2

i love watching silva and think he's a wonderful player but that article is just a wee bit biased no? he's also won the world cup and 2 european championships with spain so it's not like he's not recognised.

also, not making garth crooks' team of the week is a massive, ringing endorsement because garth crooks is a moron.

The article will obviously be a bit biased being written by MEN's City reporter.

Winning things (world cup and 2 European championships) is not the same as receiving recognition in England which the article is on about.

The article is saying Silva has been the best player in England over the past 5 year period - one can agree or disagree - he's certainly been in the top 5 players EVERY season for the past 5 seasons, yet he rarely gets the recognition in such things as player of the year, team of the year, etc, and now this Ballon d'Or. As City fans we can't understand it and think he's deserves to be respected more. I'm hoping when he moves on/retires, at least then he will be, like Zola and others as a true footballing genius. I'm convinced that even if he played for another team, that just like Bergkamp, Zola and others, I'd think he was a genius.

The Garth Crooks mention in the article was a bit of sarcasm.

The article will obviously be a bit biased being written by MEN's City reporter.

Winning things (world cup and 2 European championships) is not the same as receiving recognition in England which the article is on about.

The article is saying Silva has been the best player in England over the past 5 year period - one can agree or disagree - he's certainly been in the top 5 players EVERY season for the past 5 seasons, yet he rarely gets the recognition in such things as player of the year, team of the year, etc, and now this Ballon d'Or. As City fans we can't understand it and think he's deserves to be respected more. I'm hoping when he moves on/retires, at least then he will be, like Zola and others as a true footballing genius. I'm convinced that even if he played for another team, that just like Bergkamp, Zola and others, I'd think he was a genius.

i think that there are really only 3 top class/world class players in the premier league now, david silva, sergio aguero and alexis sanchez. players that were they made available the best clubs in europe - and that means barca, madrid and bayern - would be clamouring to get them. and even sanchez was released by barca already. silva's age might count against him a little now. wonderful footballer though and a joy to watch.

that said the best player in the english league in the past 5 years was obviously luiz suarez. ;)

i think that there are really only 3 top class/world class players in the premier league now, david silva, sergio aguero and alexis sanchez. players that were they made available the best clubs in europe - and that means barca, madrid and bayern - would be clamouring to get them. and even sanchez was released by barca already. silva's age might count against him a little now. wonderful footballer though and a joy to watch.

that said the best player in the english league in the past 5 years was obviously luiz suarez. ;)

Suarez hasn't even played the past 5 seasons so doesn't qualify (the best player in the English leaguecover the past 5 seasons remember) but during his last 2 seasons only Suarez was the bees knees.

He finished the 201011 season with four goals in 13 games.

201112 season - After winning the Player of the Tournament at the2011 Copa América, Suárez had a disappointing 201112 season by his standards. Liverpool finished in eighth place and Suárez scored 11 league goals. The season was marked by an incident in which Suárez was found guilty by a three-man panel from the FA of racially abusing Patrice Evra during a game against Manchester United in October; he was given an eight-game suspension and a £40,000 fine. Suarez has disputed this decision.

201213 season - At the end of the season, Suárez was one of six players named on the shortlist for PFA Players' Player of the Year. Suárez finished second in the final ballot behind Gareth Bale of Tottenham Hotspur and was named in the PFA Team of the Year. He was second-top goalscorer in the Premier League for 201213 with 23 goals and Liverpool's top scorer in all competitions with 30 goals. On 28 May 2013, he was named as Liverpool's player of the season after receiving 64 percent of votes in a poll of the club's supporters. On 21 April 2013, during a 22 draw with Chelseain a Premier League game at Anfield, Suárez bitBranislav Ivanović; this was the second time Suárez had bitten an opponent. It was not noticed by the officials, and Suárez scored an equaliser in injury time.

201314 season, Player of the Year - On 18 April, Suárez was named as one of the six players nominated for the PFA Player of the Yearaward for the second consecutive season. On 27 April he won the award, becoming the first non-European to win the award. On 5 May 2014, Suarez was named as the Football Association Writers player of the year. He finished the season with 31 goals in 33 games, winning thePremier League Golden Boot, with Sturridge as runner-up, as Liverpool came second in the league and returned to the Champions League. Suárez also won the Barclay's Premier League Player of the Season award.As the Premier League's top scorer with 31 goals he also shared the European Golden Shoe with Cristiano Ronaldo. On 21 May 2014, Suárez ranked number one on "Europe's most influential player" list of the year, ahead of Lionel Messi, Zlatan Ibrahimović and Cristiano Ronaldo, according to a study by Bloomberg of the top five European leagues

• Like 1

If you're trying to say Silva is one of your most consistent players over five years, fair enough, but on a yearly basis the fans say otherwise as to being "the best".

Up to last year the five players of the season according to your supporters club were:

Tevez, Kompany, Aguero, Zabaleta, Toure.

So all you're really stating is your opinion.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Manchester_City_Player_of_the_Year.html

Oh, and Aguero this year.

David Silva is Manchester City's greatest ever player, so why is he so overlooked?

Richard Dunne won it five years in a row.

Silva hasn't won it at all.

So obviously Richard Dunne is City's greatest ever player.

Edited by Chicog

If you're trying to say Silva is one of your most consistent players over five years, fair enough, but on a yearly basis the fans say otherwise as to being "the best".

Up to last year the five players of the season according to your supporters club were:

Tevez, Kompany, Aguero, Zabaleta, Toure.

So all you're really stating is your opinion.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Manchester_City_Player_of_the_Year.html

Oh, and Aguero this year.

Richard Dunne won it five years in a row.

Silva hasn't won it at all.

So obviously Richard Dunne is City's greatest ever player.

Doh! That was the idea Chicog, each person state the player of their personal choice/opinion. The fact other City fans think it was this player one season and another player another season isn't relevant to my personal opinion.

Doh! That was the idea Chicog, each person state the player of their personal choice/opinion. The fact other City fans think it was this player one season and another player another season isn't relevant to my personal opinion.

But essentially you started a thread saying "Who is the best player over the last five years and the answer must be David Silva".

Even your own fans don't seem to agree with you, as he hasn't even been the best player in one season.

But essentially you started a thread saying "Who is the best player over the last five years and the answer must be David Silva".

Even your own fans don't seem to agree with you, as he hasn't even been the best player in one season.

I don't see why you don't get this Chicog. I think it's Silva over the past 5 years but it's irrelevant to my opinion what others think...it's a personal opinion. I was interested in what others thought. There can be no right or wrong. ..it's subjective.

I don't see why you don't get this Chicog. I think it's Silva over the past 5 years but it's irrelevant to my opinion what others think...it's a personal opinion. I was interested in what others thought. There can be no right or wrong. ..it's subjective.

I tend to agree with what your supporters club said.

And they tend to see each game live as well. TV doesn't show you the whole picture.

Chicog, you are looking at who the City supporters voted as player of the season per season. My question wasn't who had been the best player EACH of the past seasons but OVER the past 5 seasons. There's a big difference isn't there. There has been a different player of the season each season but OVER the past 5 seasons I think most City fans would agree that Silva has been the best player, and lots of City fans would also agree that Silva is the best City player ever. Having seen king colin and silva I would say Silva is the best technical player we've ever had while king colin was the most inspirational player.

Over to you Chicog.

If you really were interested in what others thought, why harp on non stop on multiple threads when others disagree with your own opinion? As a side note, CB's record of trophies could hardly be called inspirational....Happy Klopp Day to everybody elsethumbsup.gif

If you really were interested in what others thought, why harp on non stop on multiple threads when others disagree with your own opinion? As a side note, CB's record of trophies could hardly be called inspirational....Happy Klopp Day to everybody elsethumbsup.gif

Its Klopp Eve when nothin was stirring...not even the mouserless....

• Like 1