Manchester City

mrbojangles

We were very poor today. Back 3 nervy; Kompany rusty as hell. The rest, flat as hell. Seen plenty of games like that these past seasons. ..start flat and you can see it ain't going to happen. Dire apart from the goal...nicely taken by nacho nacho man. How many times this season have gifted the opposition the lead or a goal.

Southampton were really excellent and one of the best away performances at the Etihad in recent seasons...they were really well organised (reminded me of Juventus last season at Etihad), all over us and dangerous on the break.

It could have been worse though...didn't see a goal in us so have to be reasonably happy we got out of jail.

13 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Yes, actually appreciate you doing us a favour in the title race with that win and when you say decent do you mean like WBA or perhaps Bournemouth  :tongue:

Your getting ahead of yourself again  Bobby, you have to talk about the top 4 for 3 months before you can talk about the title :passifier:

7 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Your getting ahead of yourself again  Bobby, you have to talk about the top 4 for 3 months before you can talk about the title :passifier:

Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spuds away done, and 1/4 of the season done alfie-boy, as it stands we are still in the race :tongue:

Not City related but the wife send this to me and I thought it very impressive. It's Sheff Wed tribute to the King..the respect of fans who probably know nothing of the King brought a tear to my eye (big softie I know). Hope the link works

https://www.facebook.com/justwannatellyousomething/videos/1111249988995157/

History suggests Jose Mourinho should end Manchester United's recent slump on Wednesday night as the home team have never lost in the six Manchester derbies in the League Cup. United beat City 3-1 in the semi-finals the last time these sides played in this competition at Old Trafford, with goals from Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney booking a Wembley date with Aston Villa. City also suffered a 1-0 defeat here in 1974, but a 2-2 semi-final second-leg draw in 1969 saw them reach the final having won the first leg 2-1 at Maine Road.

Guardiola admitted he would like to include Toure, who is said to have lost 10lb in weight and is looking sharp in training, in his squad, but will continue to overlook him until Seluk apologises.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

I wish I hadn't of stayed up for that. To be fair it was City's second string vs full strength United.

6 games without a win and still top of the league!

It looked like Pep didn't take that game as seriously as we would have liked him to. Any derby match is a big game and so putting out a second string team isn't going to make good viewing. It also didn't help that the ref might as well have worn a red shirt.

According to Chicog, being top of the league warrants the manager getting the sack. If that's the case, Wenger should have been a road sweeper years ago.

• Like 1

Theres an argument that players in a so called second string team actually try harder and lift their game as its a chance to showcase their talent and crack a first team spot.However if you lose you can always fall back on the 'second string' team clause. Of course the ref was to blame and the City keeper had the sun in his eyes both halves. I missed all last weekends game so I will replay and suffer the depression of United's performance.They needed that last night and maybe JM saw the influence of Carrick

Picking a title winner in  this particular season is mission impossible and I would have though that any manager would be happy with at least one trophy in his back pocket and a chance of more to come.  If clubs continue to downgrade this competition whats the point of having it or make it Under 23 .......Of course its about money stupid me.

8 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

According to Chicog, being top of the league warrants the manager getting the sack. If that's the case, Wenger should have been a road sweeper years ago.

To "posh" to push is Arsene BJ didn,t you know that :shock1:

7 hours ago, MrRed said:

Second string lol

Ref was a Red lol

You didnt actually have a shot on target in the game.

Careful Red,don,t get the "bitters" going now :saai:

Never watched the game just reading the report,s on the media now,the boys in the press rooms are having a go at Pep now...........what the fl uck do they know about football :sad: that gives them the right to criticize him?

6 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Theres an argument that players in a so called second string team actually try harder and lift their game as its a chance to showcase their talent and crack a first team spot.However if you lose you can always fall back on the 'second string' team clause. Of course the ref was to blame and the City keeper had the sun in his eyes both halves. I missed all last weekends game so I will replay and suffer the depression of United's performance.They needed that last night and maybe JM saw the influence of Carrick

Picking a title winner in  this particular season is mission impossible and I would have though that any manager would be happy with at least one trophy in his back pocket and a chance of more to come.  If clubs continue to downgrade this competition whats the point of having it or make it Under 23 .......Of course its about money stupid me.

This season is going to be one of the most competitive for years I think,anyone of half a dozen clubs involved :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MrRed said:

Second string lol

Ref was a Red lol

You didnt actually have a shot on target in the game.

MrRed is back after United winning. Now there is a surprise lol

We had a stonewall penalty turned down he was giving us yellows when our player didn't even touch your players. There was 2 shouts for fouls before your goal. Soft fouls but one's he'd been awarding your lot all game.

Red, we made 9, yes 9 changes to the team we put out at weekend.

Red, you obviously didn't see the game, so here you go. The Manchester Evening News take on it:-

Man United 1-0 Man City: Reds first team narrowly edges it against Blues reserves!

Manchester City rue lack of a cutting edge at Old Trafford as Man United field their strongest team in EFL Cup tie

Just imagine what would have happened had Manchester City put out something close to a strong team!

The Blues' defence of the League Cup ended at Old Trafford as they could not find a cutting edge to go with their bright first half display against Manchester United .

The fact that City made nine changes from the team that drew with Southampton at the weekend tells you exactly where Pep Guardiola sees his priorities.

It is a shame as he could have done with a win – when it came down to it, Jose Mourinho , stung by that Chelsea thrashing at the weekend, clearly needed one more.

Maybe Guardiola thought Mourinho would follow suit and give a run-out to some of his youngsters, but instead the Blues were up against a full-strength Reds outfit.

And maybe Guardiola should have fielded his strongest team - not to do so shows a lack of understanding of Mancunian football culture.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-man-city-report-12084278

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

It looked like Pep didn't take that game as seriously as we would have liked him to. Any derby match is a big game and so putting out a second string team isn't going to make good viewing.

Even though I'm not an "old Blue" the lineup from Pep was disappointing for a derby. OTOH you could point to Maffeo and Garcia getting a quality run out. Everything being equal I would have preferred a stronger eleven so that:

1. Beat United

2. Beat Mourinho

3. Have a chance at that trophy.

But water under the bridge now.

I was hoping for more from Sane. He strikes me as a real talent. But without Spanish Dave or KDB there was little to no incisive play in the final third.

And apropos of nothing I catch myself at times wishing we had a traditional #9 for a plan B. But that definitely won't happen under Pep.

Hardly any mention about pep going 6 games without a win, seeing it is the first time I thought they would be on his back, NO its all Mourinio doesn't like his hotel room 55555, that's the difference from being a big club and a small club who won the lottery.

"Hardly any mention about pep going 6 games without a win" - really? I saw plenty before the game about the possibility and plenty after the game. Not exactly a big deal though is it (he won 10 before that blip). 

While we've been in a holding pattern, ManU, Spurs and Arsenal have hardly taken advantage have they (somebody's 6 points behind already) :sleep:

1 hour ago, smokie36 said:

City's kids really are crap aren't they? :post-4641-1156694572:

Still haven't seen the game but by all accounts Navas was star man (don't believe it) and Garcia was decent. Good to see another of our kids in Maffeo make his full debut...Pep was raving about him but that doesn't mean too much. I wouldn't be surprised if, like Chelsea in the FA cup last season, it was the old pro's who let down the young kids. Anyway nice to see that we are at last using the kids - sure i read on here we don't have any ;-)  

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Still haven't seen the game but by all accounts Navas was star man (don't believe it) and Garcia was decent. Good to see another of our kids in Maffeo make his full debut...Pep was raving about him but that doesn't mean too much. I wouldn't be surprised if, like Chelsea in the FA cup last season, it was the old pro's who let down the young kids. Anyway nice to see that we are at last using the kids - sure i read on here we don't have any ;-)  

Kompany otamendi Navas Cliche Nolito Sane Fernando Kelchi and your keeper and Sterling Aguero and Kolorov came on and it's playing your  young kids and reserves Hahahaha.

You played two kids and they was two if your better players, will they get a run out in the league I don't think so.

• Like 2