Manchester City

mrbojangles

Bit arrogant aren't we this morning Carmine!

Having watched Fernandinho in almost every game since he arrived at City, after we bought him as a b-to-b player from Europe where he'd been playing as a b-to-b player, and initially he played for us a b-to-b player, my opinion on what I've seen and know doesn't change because you've seen Fernandinho play in his recent holding midfield role and read a few websites. We'll have to agree to disagree.

"add me to your ignore list..." no need, your enthusiasm amuses me and occasionally you post something worth reading. But by all means put me on ignore should you wish.

"Atleast enjoy your holiday but please don'y try and discuss football with me...". Work not holiday. I don't try and discuss anything with you but if you post something worth responding to i will.

Cheers.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Three points and the gap is 12 again. Hat trick from Aguero (if you count the hair follicle goal and Aguero is). Mesmerizing Sane as well, and when he is on he is a phenomenon. The Ukrainian kid, Zinchenko, acquitted himself well. Clearly he didn't have much defending to do until late but did OK. Nice to have Spanish Dave back.

There was a point in the second period when Sterling moved to the left and Sane to the right. Not surprising that Pep would shake things a little. What was surprising was a briefer period where Sane was in the middle just behind Aguero. I'm not sure what to make of that, but interesting, and Sane is dangerous wherever he might be.

All in all, a satisfying performance and outcome, as Rafa elected not to play much football until behind by 2.

:clap2:

Agüero’s 11th hat-trick in City’s colours.
He has now scored 14 times in 12 league games against Newcastle.
Agüero scored 30 goals last season in what was supposedly a below-par year. He has 22 this season.
Newcastle 6-1, 5-0, 4-0 and 4-0 in their previous four visits to the Etihad.

Carmine, this article gives a reasonable account of Fernandinho's evolution from box to box midfielder on signing, to the more recent defensive midfield role (usually in a 3 with silva and kdb) at City. Top of my head, I can remember him playing box to box midfielder, defensive midfielder, RB, LB and dropping in at centre back.

http://eplindex.com/80975/undervalued-role-fernandinho-manchester-city.html

THE UNDERVALUED ROLE OF FERNANDINHO AT MANCHESTER CITY

"...The Brazilian ARRIVED in Manchester in June 2013 with a reputation as a versatile, BOX-TO-BOX midfielder – capable of breaking-up play and contributing going forward...

...The Brazilian’s role in midfield is functional and unremarkable. He rarely makes the lung-bursting forward runs commonly seen IN HIS EARLIER DAYS City days under Manuel Pellegrini. Rather than a box-to-box midfielder, the South American is NOW simply a sitting midfielder..."

As I was saying ;-)

Edited by Bredbury Blue

10 hours ago, jellydog said:

All in all, a satisfying performance and outcome, as Rafa elected not to play much football until behind by 2.

He did try and press us...............................for about the first 7 minutes and then we pinned them deep for the majority of the rest of the game.

Good performance and just what you need after a defeat. If Aguero hadn't had a little tuft of hair on the top of his head he couldn't have claimed that one. As you say, when Sane is on it, he is mesmerising. How he kept control of the ball for the 3rd was absolute class. Zinchenko may have been a tad out of position for their goal but it was a lucky pass and don't know if it was intended or not but overall he looks a very good prospect, comfortable on the ball and very confident. I like what I've seen thus far.

Seeing David Silva back just seems to add cohesiveness which we really missed last week. KdB just does what he does. 

Ederson had a couple of iffy touches but I love him and his style, so he ain't getting a bashing from me

• Like 1

Zinchenko's first Premier start (as stand-in stand-in left back) and all of games so far he's looked very comfortable; looks like a £1.7 million bargain buy who'll either establish himself or be sold at a tidy profit.

City youngster Diaz got on late yesterday and for me HE's the one to watch.

There was a good cameo of Ederson saturday. He saved it, dropped it, saved it and then was really brave to dive at the forward's feet, all in the space of seconds.

Recently 31-year-old David Silva signed a one-year contract extension at Manchester City to keep him at the club until 2020, aged 33.

Last week, Otamendi, 29, easily our best and our most improved defender extended till 2022 when he'll be 33, and Fernandinho,  32, signed a two-year contract extension until 2020. KdB, 26, reported to extending this week till 2024, when he'll be 32.

If we win something this season in the 2nd of Pep's 3 seasons will we see him sign an extension?

End of this season Yaya will leave and I expect Vinny to be put out to pasture.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

35 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

If we win something this season in the 2nd of Pep's 3 seasons will we see him sign an extension?

As you know, he said he would only sign an extension if he thought he deserved it. So if we win something, I'm hoping he feels he deserves it.

Cheers Nev.

Tony Book's Blue n White Army so circa 76-77. Came 2nd to Liverpool. Thought we were going to win it that season. Back then I was a season ticket holder (found out recently my brothers are still getting a sessonticket in my name - it'd be in something like it's 45 year - for the use of tgem and mates)

The one on the right, I had that scarf and some of the badges. I also used to dress like that though didn't we all.

49 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Cheers Nev.

Tony Book's Blue n White Army so circa 76-77. Came 2nd to Liverpool. Thought we were going to win it that season. Back then I was a season ticket holder (found out recently my brothers are still getting a sessonticket in my name - it'd be in something like it's 45 year - for the use of tgem and mates)

The one on the right, I had that scarf and some of the badges. I also used to dress like that though didn't we all.

img_7232.jpg

On 22/01/2018 at 10:07 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Recently 31-year-old David Silva signed a one-year contract extension at Manchester City to keep him at the club until 2020, aged 33.

Last week, Otamendi, 29, easily our best and our most improved defender extended till 2022 when he'll be 33, and Fernandinho,  32, signed a two-year contract extension until 2020. KdB, 26, reported to extending this week till 2024, when he'll be 32.

End of this season Yaya will leave and I expect Vinny to be put out to pasture.

Announced that De Bruyne has signed a new five-year deal until 2023.

City are through and it sounds like it was an entertaining game. Sorry I missed it. A pity there aren't replays the next day. A big plus for City that in Jesus' absence Aguero is at the top of his game.

Reading this morning about Pep's transfer targets to strengthen the defense. Wonderful news !

5 minutes ago, jellydog said:

City are through and it sounds like it was an entertaining game. Sorry I missed it. A pity there aren't replays the next day. A big plus for City that in Jesus' absence Aguero is at the top of his game.

Reading this morning about Pep's transfer targets to strengthen the defense. Wonderful news !

its a luxury to have a world class striker as back up and if City do strengthen this window they might just have enough depth in squad to avoid the fatigue and injuries that would normally be a teams undoing whilst chasing four trophies.

46 minutes ago, carmine said:

its a luxury to have a world class striker as back up and if City do strengthen this window they might just have enough depth in squad to avoid the fatigue and injuries that would normally be a teams undoing whilst chasing four trophies.

It seems City are targeting a centre-back and a DM. Both young which is a plus, and looking to the future. Fernandinho isn't getting any younger so finding a reliable young DM is important. In fact, City have been fortunate that Fernandinho has been relatively injury free.

7 minutes ago, jellydog said:

It seems City are targeting a centre-back and a DM. Both young which is a plus, and looking to the future. Fernandinho isn't getting any younger so finding a reliable young DM is important. In fact, City have been fortunate that Fernandinho has been relatively injury free.

Read that the center back is imminent and the arrival of Fred is more likely in the summer.  Heard nothing else.

Stones was shaky again against Liverpool, is the cover for him to give him more recovery time do you think?

A very entertaining game. Love to know what the possession stat was for the first 20mins when City were totally dominant and Bristol could only defend. Goal came came from Bernardo persistence. 2nd goal was a beauty: Fernandinho, who was everywhere last night, headed away, the ball quickly out to a breaking kdb who played a brilliant ball to Aguero, one touch and he blasted it in. City then switched off thinking it was over and Bristol scored against the run of play (nice header). Bristol gave it a go late on and scored another header late on from their big centre back Flint. City immediately went up the other end and Sane set up kdb for a blast in with the last kick of the game.
City had 68% possession and finished with 28 shots on goal, scoring from three of the six they got on target.
Kdb and Fernandinho were excellent. Thought Bernardo had a useful game. Stones still looks rusty. Zinchenko decent but goals came from crosses to his side which we didn't defend. Bravo continues to worry me.
Enjoyed it.

36 minutes ago, carmine said:

Read that the center back is imminent and the arrival of Fred is more likely in the summer.  Heard nothing else.

Stones was shaky again against Liverpool, is the cover for him to give him more recovery time do you think?

I think its for added depth given Kompany's situation as well as healthy competition for the first eleven. Much needed methinks. Mangala to be sent packing.

18 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I think its for added depth given Kompany's situation as well as healthy competition for the first eleven. Much needed methinks. Mangala to be sent packing.

Its logical because fatigue is probably Pep's biggest concern for the remainder of the season.

Stones has been shaky in every game since he's come back. Chasing a new CB is a continuation of last summer. Kompany's days seem done. Otamendi is now dependable and can play right or left side. Stones is young, still developing can only play right side. Nobody trusts Mangala who'll be gone in the summer. Tosin is young at at the crossroads whether he'll stay and make it or be loaned or sold it. So we are very short in the CB position with Fernandinho and the worrying Danilo as temporary standins. So we only have one left sided CB, Otamendi. We also only have one LB, Mendy, who is injured and his temporary standin Delph is injured and the temporary standin standin Zinchenko is an attacking midfielder with minutes to his City career. So we are looking for a CB who can also cover LB and/or a midfielder who can also cover LB. We are one or two injuries from disaster in key positions so hopefully we will bring one or two in this window.

Sad to see blue Mark E Smith of The Fall has passed.

Saw The Fall several times back in their early days, once at Stockport Tech, when they were awful but I couldn't leave as there was something hypnotic about them. Favourite album Curious Orange will be getting a hammering today.

Call yourself a football fan? – Mark E Smith

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/100-Fan-culture/3751-call-yourself-a-football-fan--mark-e-smith

• Like 1

Sorry to bore on about Mark E Smith, but he was a blue, he was a maverick, his music was like nothing else, and he was a bit of a hero over the years.

He didn't look after himself, was in a bad way, heard him interviewed in recent times by RadMac and he was amusing but sounded in a bad way so news of his death isn't exactly a surprise.

The Stockport gig i mentioned above was probably '78. Also saw the Fall at this famous Manchester gig 'Stuff the Superstars'. Memories of that Saturday are: club being in a scary area, being mesmerised by Ian Curtis, enjoying Frantic Elevators singer (must have been 2 decades later I found out it was Mick Hucknall), skinheads threatening people if they didn't dance (pogo) when their band came on (Hamsters I think), Distractions being decent.

http://www.joydiv.org/c280779.htm

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sorry to bore on about Mark E Smith, but he was a blue, he was a maverick, his music was like nothing else, and he was a bit of a hero over the years.

He didn't look after himself, was in a bad way, heard him interviewed in recent times by RadMac and he was amusing but sounded in a bad way so news of his death isn't exactly a surprise.

The Stockport gig i mentioned above was probably '78. Also saw the Fall at this famous Manchester gig 'Stuff the Superstars'. Memories of that Saturday are: club being in a scary area, being mesmerised by Ian Curtis, enjoying Frantic Elevators singer (must have been 2 decades later I found out it was Mick Hucknall), skinheads threatening people if they didn't dance (pogo) when their band came on (Hamsters I think), Distractions being decent.

http://www.joydiv.org/c280779.htm

Just heard that today is the anniversay of Joy Divisions first ever gig - at Pips in Manchester.

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Anybody know anything about this Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao?

Pep must think he's good as he wanted him last year but I confess to not knowing much about him

Same here. I haven't done any youtube searches. I know that he is French and not Spanish, which is a little strange, because Athletic Bilbao only fields players from the Basque country. Apparently Laporte was close enough to Basque country and/or has Basque related family.