Manchester City

mrbojangles

Ederson is great. For the first time in a while I don't feel nervous when the keeper get's the ball. So this was good from Sean Dyche after the Burnley match:-

Man City goalkeeper Ederson is compared to Barcelona great!

Burnley manager Sean Dyche joked that the Manchester City stopper reminds him of one of the game's all-time legends.

Burnley manager Sean Dyche has given a brilliant description of Ederson, after the Manchester City goalkeeper almost denied his team a point at Turf Moor.

The Brazil international made a fabulous save from Aaron Lennon and got his hand to Johann Berg Gudmundsson's late equaliser, to show that he is one of the best shot-stoppers in the Premier League.

But it is his ability to join in the build-up from his own penalty area which really caught the eye of Dyche.

“He is the calmest keeper I have seen,” said the Clarets boss. “It is like having Ronald Koeman in goal. He defuses the game. “He made two good saves – it was a fantastic save from Aaron Lennon because he hit it so clean.”

Ederson has a pass success rate of 84.9 per cent this season, better than teammate Kevin De Bruyne, Chelsea ace Eden Hazard and Manchester United's Paul Pogba

But it is his calmness under pressure, when teams try to high-press him into an error, perhaps marks him out as the best all-round keeper in the Premier League.

And it is that aspect of his game which brought Dyche's wry comment about Koeman.

The Holland international made his name as a technically brilliant midfielder and sweeper for Barcelona, where he won the European Cup alongside Pep Guardiola in 1992, as well as four Spanish league titles and a Copa del Rey, as well as the 1988 European Championships with his country.

• Like 1

"Manchester City have asked to meet the body responsible for Premier League referees to discuss their concern at tackles being made against them.The Premier League leaders have cited nine challenges this term which they say have not been suitably sanctioned...City also want the rules changed so incidents can be reviewed even if they were punished by the match referee...Although they have not yet canvassed opinion on the matter, they believe they would be backed by most top-flight clubs in that quest...Their grievance surrounds the fact that, in seven of the nine instances, a yellow card was shown. Football Association rules dictate that, if the referee has taken action at the time, the incident is regarded as having been dealt with and cannot be reviewed.The FA's stance is that they do not want to re-referee games. However, City argue that "the Pandora's Box has been opened" by the decision to allow instances of diving to be reviewed this season..."

I think this is a good thing. Yes we don't want to want to re-referee games but we do it already on certain issues so why not on dangerous tackles, which received a yellow or nothing at all but which should have been a red, and retroactively ban players. And before the usual posters chip in against this, yes City players have put in bad dangerous tackles which likewise should retroactively be actioned.

Unpunished dangerous tackles more important than diving all day long!

Edited by Bredbury Blue

15 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Absolutely. Never understood why a yellow can't be reviewed if the ref got it blatantly wrong.

It always struck me as strange that Keane didn't receive a much much harsher punishment for the Haarland assault.  I say assault because in no way could it ever have been described as a tackle or a challenge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carmine said:

It always struck me as strange that Keane didn't receive a much much harsher punishment for the Haarland assault.  I say assault because in no way could it ever have been described as a tackle or a challenge.

I think he even admitted it in his book that he went in to hurt him.

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think he even admitted it in his book that he went in to hurt him.

He did, it was 100% premeditated and looked so at the time.  Has to be the worst example ever if nothing else but on the basis of it being completely intentional.  But then again Keane is as thick as pig shit and twice as stupid!  

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

He did, it was 100% premeditated and looked so at the time.  Has to be the worst example ever if nothing else but on the basis of it being completely intentional.  But then again Keane is as thick as pig shit and twice as stupid!  

I was talking to a mate yesterday about this subject. It was funny cos he was saying footballers are pansies nowadays and then went onto to say he used to play football but had to give it up when some thug took him out in a high tackle and he did his cruciate.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Manchester City have asked to meet the body responsible for Premier League referees to discuss their concern at tackles being made against them.The Premier League leaders have cited nine challenges this term which they say have not been suitably sanctioned...City also want the rules changed so incidents can be reviewed even if they were punished by the match referee...Although they have not yet canvassed opinion on the matter, they believe they would be backed by most top-flight clubs in that quest...Their grievance surrounds the fact that, in seven of the nine instances, a yellow card was shown. Football Association rules dictate that, if the referee has taken action at the time, the incident is regarded as having been dealt with and cannot be reviewed.The FA's stance is that they do not want to re-referee games. However, City argue that "the Pandora's Box has been opened" by the decision to allow instances of diving to be reviewed this season..."

I think this is a good thing. Yes we don't want to want to re-referee games but we do it already on certain issues so why not on dangerous tackles, which received a yellow or nothing at all but which should have been a red, and retroactively ban players. And before the usual posters chip in against this, yes City players have put in bad dangerous tackles which likewise should retroactively be actioned.

Unpunished dangerous tackles more important than diving all day long!

Why should City be allowed to schedule a special meeting with the PL. Won't happen.

57 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I was talking to a mate yesterday about this subject. It was funny cos he was saying footballers are pansies nowadays and then went onto to say he used to play football but had to give it up when some thug took him out in a high tackle and he did his cruciate.

Happened to a good mate of mine in Sunday league in London.

One of the factors in my quitting playing to be honest.

Pep has sarcastically referred to Gary Neville as a "prestigious pundit" after dismissing criticism of his decision to name only six substitutes last week.

"This guy, the pundit, he has to know my job is serious. It's not a joke, never is it a joke. It's so serious. And he should know that because he was a manager - for a short time."

OUCH!

• Like 1

"Why should City be allowed to schedule a special meeting with the PL. Won't happen."

City have asked to meet the body responsible for Premier League referees. The meeting may or may not happen but the wheels are in motion to try to get this situation of enabling retroactive bans for dangerous fouls sorted out FOR THE GOOD AND PROTECTION OF ALL PLAYERS. Got to be a good thing hasn't it.

7 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Why should City be allowed to schedule a special meeting with the PL. Won't happen."

City have asked to meet the body responsible for Premier League referees. The meeting may or may not happen but the wheels are in motion to try to get this situation of enabling retroactive bans for dangerous fouls sorted out FOR THE GOOD AND PROTECTION OF ALL PLAYERS. Got to be a good thing hasn't it.

I understand the situation, and the meeting won't happen. Perhaps as a City fan you fail to see the bare faced cheek that comes with requesting your own personal meeting with PL, as if you speak for every club. I'm sure PL clubs have the opportunities to bring up grievances with the PL, preferably with all of them there, without having to schedule their own special meeting. 

Talk about a club that's got too big for its boots!

And this is obviously just a PR move - they don't really think they will be granted a 'special audience' with the PL, it is just another channel for winging about the dangerous challenges. I agree, some of the tackles on city players have been bad recently, but recognise this latest move for what it is - a weak PR stunt. 

Because you don't just get a 'special meeting' with the PL because you feel hard done by - imagine how many clubs would be requesting them if that were the case?

And City know that full well. And like I said it is just a stunt to put pressure on referees / get them sympathy / attention. 

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Because you don't just get a 'special meeting' with the PL because you feel hard done by - imagine how many clubs would be requesting them if that were the case?

You obviously have a gripe with City but it isn't a "special meeting" only allowed for Guardiola. It is a recognised process for ALL clubs.

1- You can discuss issues with the 4th official during the match

2- You can approach the ref AFTER 30 minutes after the final whistle

3- Every prem match has a Match Delegate assigned with whom you can discuss your concerns

4- If still not satisfied or still have concerns ANY Manager/Club can arrange a meeting with PGMOL

5- Lastly, if non of those satisfy your concerns, you can write to the Premier League

The process is there for a reason and Pep won't be the first of last to use it.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Whining Moss Side millenials.

Grow som effn balls!

• Like 1

Rightly or wrongly, City, and City fans, feel we are being targetted in games, so the club has requested a meeting with the body responsible for Premier League referees (referees' chief Mike Riley).

I believe previously in 2017 the club requested a meeting with Mike Riley to dscuss issues of concern and had such a meeting - see link below.

It is there very possible, and most likely that the meeting you say won't happen may well happen. It also doesn't not appear audacious to request such meetings and if such meetings are not possible they wouldn't have been held in the past and now in the present.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-news-pep-guardiola-mike-riley-meeting-victims-kyle-walker-foul-a7540566.html

As for getting a change of rule, obviously that can't happen now but City are trying to sound out the possibility of such rule change.

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

You obviously have a gripe with City but it isn't a "special meeting" only allowed for Guardiola. It is a recognised process for ALL clubs.

1- You can discuss issues with the 4th official during the match

2- You can approach the ref AFTER 30 minutes after the final whistle

3- Every prem match has a Match Delegate assigned with whom you can discuss your concerns

4- If still not satisfied or still have concerns ANY Manager/Club can arrange a meeting with PGMOL

5- Lastly, if non of those satisfy your concerns, you can write to the Premier League

The process is there for a reason and Pep won't be the first of last to use it.

Fair enough - but still, go and have your meeting, don't shout from the rooftops about it and pretend it is for the good of everybody else.