Boiling eggs in microwave

TheCruncher

No unit I know is effective for this. For a similar taste you could try cracking the egg into clingfilm and making it into a tight pouch containing the egg. place this in a jug with water and put into the microwave. should not take long.

Break the egg into a microwave safe bowl. Stir it up or at least puncture the yolk or it could explode. Microwave for 45 seconds. If it is not done, microwave another 10 -15 seconds. If the egg sticks, you should oil the bowl.

Back to Basics: How to boil an egg in the microwave oven Recipe Supplied by: Microwave Technologies Association

Serves: 1 People

First and foremost - safety first:

NEVER TRY TO COOK A WHOLE EGG IN IT'S SHELL IN THE MICROWAVE OVEN WITHOUT COVERING IT WITH BOILING WATER OR REMOVING IT FROM IT'S SHELL - IT WILL EXPLODE AND COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR OVEN - NOT TO MENTION MAKE A TERRIBLE MESS THAT IS A NIGHTMARE TO CLEAN UP!

So to do it properly:

For each person wrap each egg in aluminium foil and set in a glass or microwave proof cooking container. Pour over enough boiling water to cover all the eggs. Carefully put bowl in the microwave oven, then cook on HIGH power for 3 - 6 minutes, according to how you like your eggs.

After 30 seconds cooking, the water will return to a gentle boil, and cook the eggs, as they do conventionally. 3 minutes will cook the eggs to soft boil stage and 5 - 6 minutes ( according to their size) will cook to a hard boil.

Remove dish from the oven, and quickly run cold water over the eggs, for 1 minute or so. This partially cools the eggs quickly and prevents a black layer from forming around the egg yolk if the eggs have been hard boiled.

Serve immediately with toast for a quick breakfast or lunch, or leave to cool and serve chopped and mixed with mayonnaise for a great sandwich filling.

• Like 2

Back to Basics: How to boil an egg in the microwave oven Recipe Supplied by: Microwave Technologies Association

NEVER TRY TO COOK A WHOLE EGG IN IT'S SHELL IN THE MICROWAVE OVEN WITHOUT COVERING IT WITH BOILING WATER OR REMOVING IT FROM IT'S SHELL - IT WILL EXPLODE AND COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR OVEN - NOT TO MENTION MAKE A TERRIBLE MESS THAT IS A NIGHTMARE TO CLEAN UP!

So to do it properly:

For each person wrap each egg in aluminium foil and set in a glass or microwave proof cooking container. Pour over enough boiling water to cover all the eggs. Carefully put bowl in the microwave oven, then cook on HIGH power for 3 - 6 minutes, according to how you like your eggs.

After 30 seconds cooking, the water will return to a gentle boil, and cook the eggs, as they do conventionally. 3 minutes will cook the eggs to soft boil stage and 5 - 6 minutes ( according to their size) will cook to a hard boil.

Remove dish from the oven, and quickly run cold water over the eggs, for 1 minute or so. This partially cools the eggs quickly and prevents a black layer from forming around the egg yolk if the eggs have been hard boiled.

Serve immediately with toast for a quick breakfast or lunch, or leave to cool and serve chopped and mixed with mayonnaise for a great sandwich filling.

Interesting...the foil will stop the microwaves from cooking the egg so it becomes just a boiler and cooks the eggs by conduction. Very smart.

• Like 1

So to do it properly:

Thanks for the tip, but isn't alu foil a big no-no in a microwave, unless you like to watch fireworks ?

830518-Large.jpg

This type of thing?

Problem with Microwaving an egg in the shell is that the microwaves penetrate about 3 cm and thats where the actions takes place with the heat radiating in and outwards at the same time. All these devices do is add a shield that does not allow the waves to penetrate the eggs, which also heats up passing that ambient heat to the egg which mimicks it being boiled. Rapid heating of pockets of the unprotected egg will caused it to explode.

You can try above Friendship - they usually stock this type of stuff. Also, Hardware Warehouse on the 36 rd towards Rayong or on route 7 - full of plastic crap like this but boiled eggs are not very Thai.

So it you are going to persist in this route, what I would suggest is a tin curry container like this...

stock-photo-indian-chicken-curry-in-take

.... cut down to the size of an egg. Pop the egg inside it, and then in a plastic microwave box with a bit of water in it, and experiment away. (Those foil containers are completely safe in a microwave by the way... before others say they are not).

Failing this, get a mug, fill with water, heat that up (stir it every 30 seconds though) then pop egg in the water, heat for another couple of minutes and then take out and leave in the water. If you do not stir the water as you heat it in the microwave it can get pockets of superheated water which will explode into your face when you drop the egg in.

Third option - pop the eggs in your rice cooker. Easiest of the lot - its what we do.

Edited by boldface
  • Like 1

830518-Large.jpg

This type of thing?

That is exactly what I have in mind, finally someone who doesn't have egg under his skull biggrin.png , however I have to say thanks again to Mattd as his idea is usable if I can't find the items pictured in your post.

I know of the rice cooker and I have a ceramic plate, on which I sometimes cook 20 eggs in advance, but I would like to have the option to cook the eggs fresh, hard or soft, without it being time consuming and have to washup to many items afterwards.

Edited by TheCruncher

The link you posted was in Thai, and when I switched it to English, against all expectations the price stayed the same.biggrin.png

Tanks, will make a trip to HP tomorrow, by the way they are building a new store next to Boonthavorn.

Although not exactly a boiled egg, if you want an egg you can dip your toast in I find this method gets good results:

Take an espresso cup (or something similar sized), put a small piece of butter in it and then break an egg into it, separating the white from the yolk and keeping the yolk to one side. Microwave for 15 seconds then take out and swill it around a bit. Put it back in for another 10 seconds and check it - in my microwave I've now got some firm white around the edge and liquid white towards the centre. Pour the yolk into the liquid white and cook again for 7 seconds. Check it again. If the white is still not cooked enough give it another 7 seconds.

Not all microwave's cook the same but in mine, I've now got nice firm white and a runny yolk...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought what is an oversize egg cup with a domed lid with hole in. Brush inside cup with little oil, crack in egg prick yolk and the white, pop on lid nuke 1 min 50% power 800 w mic leave 1 to to 2 mins eat from cup. Mate brought mine over from asda