AirAsia kicks man off flight for carry-on rage (VIDEO)

webfact

I travel with a laptop bag that weighs in at over 13 kilo, the laptop and power brick alone weigh over 7 I was challenged once and when I removed the laptop and power supply they realised I could never get it below 7kilo and there was no way the laptop was going into checked baggage so they abandoned any challenge they were thinking, I travel light no other bags or luggage only - happened once in over 60 flights

If a bag fits in the overhead locker what's the problem = I've seen people boarding flights with two small cases and a pile of other %%%%% unchallenged

In saying that this guy should have been arrested and thrown off the plane and banned from travel - a rude mouth piece

The main problem is the weight. During very heavy turbulance and emergency landing, overhead storage can pop open. Bags in it could fly and hit someone in the head real hard. It does happen time to time.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's be quite candid about this. The system is seriously flawed when an obese man over 6ft carries a small bag and a small petite person is overweight by a few kilos. It's time to overhaul and harmonise these rules as they do not serve the purpose of intent. It would be better to have an overall weight to include passenger and luggage. This has already started a few years ago on charter flights I've been on. It would be much easier and fairer.

It’s obvious he attracted the attention of others due to his arrogant attitude. Had he used a smaller bag and behaved normally he would’ve of probably winged it.

However, you can also appreciate Air Asia airline staff point of view, if the plane fell out of the sky or was involved in some sought of incident, everyone would have immediately blamed the airline for not following the rules. Som-Nom-Na to the guy who tried to defy the rules at the risk of others.

Edited by MK1

Moron

Why? Most of the Thais travel with overweight and, especially, oversized hand luggage. Why did they have to pick on this fellow?

Just a usual AirAsia rubbish. Luckily they are on the losing end as the Nokair and Lionair are gathering grounds.

So you think all folk should get away with it...?

What??? Funny how you misread my lines.

I said that is unfair to pick on one individual ONLY!!

I don't know where you got your idea from my lines. I have never implied what you said.

• Like 1

I don't lke to compare but in the case I will .

About 6 months ago in Vancouver air port a guy was acting up doing what ever be said or did I was not privy to it .because it happened so fast I would say less than a minute the police/security had him on the ground in cufs they didn't try even talking to him he was down

Not like this video 5 minutes later .

It would not be 5 minutes in Canada it would be seconds the police and security would be coming out of the wood work and when the come it is take down first

And I would venture to say the same in the states Europe

• Like 1

I travel with a laptop bag that weighs in at over 13 kilo, the laptop and power brick alone weigh over 7 I was challenged once and when I removed the laptop and power supply they realised I could never get it below 7kilo and there was no way the laptop was going into checked baggage so they abandoned any challenge they were thinking, I travel light no other bags or luggage only - happened once in over 60 flights

If a bag fits in the overhead locker what's the problem = I've seen people boarding flights with two small cases and a pile of other %%%%% unchallenged

In saying that this guy should have been arrested and thrown off the plane and banned from travel - a rude mouth piece

Hey, 1983 called and wants its laptop back! Seriously, my home PC weighs less than your power supply, you should be well below 5 kilos brick, bag and all.

I agree that nobody in their right mind would check their carry-on after putting all their valuables inside. Might as well gift it to the next baggage handler.

"Instead of just paying the THB900 fee to have the bag checked, the mans temper tantrum caused the cabin crew to invite him off the plane.

900 baht to check in your luggage? Rip off merchants.

Yes, airlines like AirAsia have turned this into a real little money-maker no doubt. But some conceited pinheads just believe the rules don't apply to them. You see them trying to jam their oversize, overweight bag into the overhead so somebody else is going to have to search all over the cabin in order to put up their small, compliant-size, compliant-weight bag, ALL the time. Am definitely with the airline on this one. The idiot even sounds like a petulant little child. 'Needs a spanking.

Would you call him a bozo and a moron if he was Farang?

If it was one of TV's great unwashed cheap Charlie's, they would be on TV ranting on about how racist Thai's are and how can they do this to the almighty bwana, don't they know their place

Just curious if your laptop is from 70's ?

The crew did the right thing

Who knows who could have been injured if someone was under the plane, doing their maintenance,check or whatever...

Just because your Thai, doesnt mean you can do as you please without consequence... Ignorant nobhead

Sure other countries have there morons too... and I am sure the same unruly behavior would have been dealt with just the same. I have seen many people kicked off planes for other matters.... Always justified...

The safety of the passengers comes first...

Just curious if your laptop is from 70's ?

Sounds more like a desktop and big CRT monitor.... bahahaha

Let's be quite candid about this. The system is seriously flawed when an obese man over 6ft carries a small bag and a small petite person is overweight by a few kilos. It's time to overhaul and harmonise these rules as they do not serve the purpose of intent. It would be better to have an overall weight to include passenger and luggage. This has already started a few years ago on charter flights I've been on. It would be much easier and fairer.

In addition to charging for overweight bags, they should charge lard arsed passenger's more as well for their seats

In addition to charging for overweight bags, they should charge lard arsed passenger's more as well for their seats

...and make the double-wides buy 2 seats.

Just a few points from the perspective of a former airline inspector and now consultant.

(1) The airline has rules that it must comply with or they get in the proverbial. The weight limitation on carry on baggage is there primarily because of the certification standards of the aircraft and the ability of overhead locker to stay closed and not release missles onto the heads and necks of passengers should the aircraft encounter turbulence. Also, one of the main reasons flight attendantsgive the job away is through injury cause by having to heft heavy bags into overhead lockers when punters are too lazy or stupid to find a spot for it. You wouldn't like to be delayed because the flight attendants are still up trying to make the jig saw puzzle fit.

(2) The situation should not get to this point as all passengers should check their carry on bags in the test cell at the boarding gate. Hardly any do. The gate staff should do a look around but in the interest of keeping your fares down they are usually on minimum staffing and rely on a bit of honesty. Passengers, especially on low cost carriers where they might be required to pay extra for checked baggage are known to hand the oversize overweight bags to a relative or friend to avoid being caught out at check in. Mobile/internet check in just makes that easier

(3) The flight attendants are trained in "verbal Judo" to try and de-escalate the situation when confronted with an unruly passenger. The last thing you want is having to get the pilots out there adding testosterone to the situation when they have a rather important part of the flight to continue with i.e. pre-takeoff preparation. Cowardly ? no just trying to keep you safe.

Those girls did a great job dealing with that dick.

• Like 1

In my opinion airlines allow way too much on board baggage most of the time. People pushing through the isles banging into others all around them and then holding up others following them by blocking the aisle whilst they get everything but the kitchen sink stowed. Heavy luggage plonked on top of others small and sensible carry on already in lockers and so on. A lot of it is just because people are too lazy to check luggage in and wait for it at the other end. Time the check-in counters got more on the ball and insisted on weighing ALL baggage.

Right in every detail. The whole question of carry-on luggage needs to be re-thought and then properly enforced.

• Like 1

Air Asia used to have a 15 kg check in option which they eliminated last year . The 20 kg option is extremely expensive so many people just take carry on bags. One good thing is that you no longer have to go through document check at the check in counter for international flights; if you have carry-on bag only you can go straight to Immigration

Names and passenger actions aside .. I use Airasia, say every few months and I see a pretty inconsistent service with regard to "hand luggage"

If it was me, I would be doing my nut too but for a different reason.

I have seen lockers full, so that i have nowhere to place my small rucksack. I have seen 2 people carrying the multi-coloured plastic bags to the plane, like they were getting on a bus, and no one blinked an eye. I have also travelled with my hand luggage and a couple of shopping bags of purchases from Bangkok.

So why now, single out this guy. Maybe something more to this.

...and make the double-wides buy 2 seats.

Even better, or how about a special section on the aircraft for the more rotund ?

So what is supposed to happen if you are already on the plane. What is airline policy. You wouldn't travel without your belongings, so would you disembark. Catch another flight with the same overweight bag?

Why wasn't the bag weighed when he checked in?

In my opinion airlines allow way too much on board baggage most of the time. People pushing through the isles banging into others all around them and then holding up others following them by blocking the aisle whilst they get everything but the kitchen sink stowed. Heavy luggage plonked on top of others small and sensible carry on already in lockers and so on. A lot of it is just because people are too lazy to check luggage in and wait for it at the other end. Time the check-in counters got more on the ball and insisted on weighing ALL baggage.

Right in every detail. The whole question of carry-on luggage needs to be re-thought and then properly enforced.

Well, certainly no apologies for this d-bag, but there IS another factor. Many people want to avoid checking-in their bags because they KNOW about the risk of loss, theft or damage by baggage handlers, possibly from previous firsthand experience. Hardly a rare thing, is it? The union-protected ones in the U.S. are especially cheesy. TSA - the ones who're supposed to be providing security - are sometimes no better. Other travelers just don't want to have to wait for baggage claim after arrival. Neither one of these circumstances excuses trying to cheat on the rules, thereby inconveniencing everyone else, let alone this guy's tantrum after he was caught.

Yes. I'd say precisely the same thing if it were a farang.

• Like 1

I've never heard of the cabin crew weighing a bag after the passenger has boarded. It's always done at check-in, if at all. I'd be angry, too.

I've been all over Asia, Europe, S. America, Australia, the USA, and also Egypt & Algeria in Africa, almost 50 countries (I lost track).

Never had a bag weighed after I was boarding a plane.

It was probably a small commuter plane though and TIT.

I have had air crew staff ask passengers to move around & change seats on flights that were only part full to even out the center of balance a bit.

My guess is the guy was drunk & pissed off the staff, which is never a wise decision.

Another Thai man with no self-control of his actions where is his mother to teach him some manners and respect to other people eg; fellow passengers.

I'm sorry but I don't think this man was under mannered, he is upset of course, like I would be, they should check the luggage in the beginning, not in the plane, the men has no option, will miss he's flight, they delay the flight .. bad option

the men is upset and just higher he's voice volume, its not shouting, violent, and he talks polite using "krab'

• Like 1

Ludicrous and prejudicial behavior by the airline. The only fair way is to weigh the passenger and his bag for combined weight like a jockey and saddle. Across the aisle could be a guy that weighs 30 kilos more than him, so what does the weight of a carry-on alone have to do with anything?

The other reason this was prejudicial is that airline cabin crews during boarding have the option to ask for your bag so they can tag it, give you a tag receipt, and send the bag below before they seal up the baggage compartment.

Edited by arrowsdawdle
  • Like 1

Trainman you beat me to it!

Its a problem that is getting worse everywhere, not just Thailand. The crap that some people bring on. Anything smaller than a block of flats is OK. Its compounded by the fact that people these days dont want to check in luggage as it slows them down at the destination so they bring it on board.

Frustrating when you aren't one of the first to board, and find all of the overhead lockers full, plane not full. If they are going to enforce it, it should be consistent.

This bloke is an absolute tool.

In China this is really bad even in business or first class. There should be checks for this already well before boarding and if there is a will there's a way. You can get your check in luggage pretty fast these days so it's not an excuse either.

Edited by FinChin67