ATM problem : One thousand baht short.

How long have you been in Thailand...?

Many foreigners lose 10s of thousands of baht...many lose their shirt...some their lives...over baht...

You will find no empathy among Thais...you are here to be exploited...

Consider yourself lucky...

It scribbled. in its usual "know everything" style.

• Like 1

It is rare that when dealing with multiples of 10k that the teller doesn't run the stack through the counting machine twice and I have seen some cases where those money counting machines are in error and when the teller gets a different result, runs it through again until the totals match. Even when they hand count the stack of bills, they often check with the counting machine.

ATM counting machines are subject to error and the banks know it and have a method to determine if a mistake was made so they can rectify it. ATM machines have helped banks decrease their operating costs substantially by eliminating tellers by the thousands so they sure don't want customer perception of non-reliability of their money saving ATMs. Otherwise the lines in front of tellers would return to the way they were before ATMs.

Just call the number behind your ATM card and it will debit back into your account 3-5 days after checking, it can detect.

I have exprience cash deposit machine more then 20K machine suddenly out of service with no resit and my money inside.

Debit back to me after 5 days. Let the operator where it happen.

My wife tried to withdraw 10K baht in Isan, using my ATM card (but she wasn't on the account) while I was out of country . The Bangkok Bank ATM didn't give her anything; BKK Bank told her it wasn't their problem. I called my US bank; they scolded me for letting a Thai girl use my card, but within a week they'd credited my account back. It seemed to work like it should. (Of course, I've since registered her on my US bank account.)

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago, but in my favour. I was withdrawing THB2,000 from a Government Savings Bank ATM and THB3,000 came out. Asked for the printed receipt from the ATM and that showed THB2,000 withdrawn. Got my passbook updated the next day at my bank and that also showed only THB2,000 withdrawn.

Not sure if the ATM counted out the money wrong or if someone before me got 1,000 less than they expected.

So YOU got the 1,000 baht that the OP was short-changed! Case solved.

• Like 1

If that's truly how you feel in general about Thais, why not leave? While there are no doubt some bad Thais, I also can state categorically that I know some Thais who I trust a hell of a lot more than some falang I know.

It depends on your circles, as ones reflection upon things very often does. Myself, I avoid socializing with both Thai people (apart from a very few) and foreigners (apart from a very few). Several reasons for that, but I find neither Thai people nor foreigners (as demographic groups) to be generally bad people, it's just that I have been disappointed more often than not by both in Thailand. I'm perfectly happy being a family man first, everything else comes second.

Now; would it be the same where I'm from? No, not by a long shot. But we're talking years of friendship, built up over many years, and if we're to be honest friendships more often than not starts out of some kind of need on both sides.

I wouldn't so easily talk bad about Thais or any other nationality. People are just different.

• Like 1

Yes it has happened to me at one of the Orange ATM's as the name of the bank escapes me at the moment.. I am a long time SCB customer and for the most part their service has been excellent. I alway try and use their ATM's but that time they where being serviced or out of service so I walked over to the Orange one and withdrew 20k baht... Well I wanted 20k baht but what I got was 19k and a piece of paper that was mixed in with the 1000 baht bills that came out of the machine... This was late at night so all the banks where closed... The next day I called both banks and of course SCB could not , would not help and the Orange bank said I had to file police report if I wanted a chance to recover my 1000 baht.. I tried to explain about the piece of paper and how a simple audit would show that this ATM had an extra 1000 baht unless of course the piece of paper was counted as a 1000 baht note... But again they could not be bothered to do anything without a police report... This happened in Bangkok and I live in Pattaya so really not worth the trouble to recover 1000 baht assuming I would recover it... This was a couple of years ago.. Now I just stay away from the Orange ATM's and it has not happened again...lol...

• Like 1

'Has anyone else ever had an experience like this?' Yes, and no. Some years ago, I tried to withdraw funds from a bank in Chiang Mai, but nothing came out, Tried the next ATM along, same problem. So we went back into the centre, where I succeeded in withdrawing funds ... and found my account was now some ẞ40,000 short.

Back by tuk-tuk to the first bank - BBL - and into the bank. After a few minutes of discussion, they said it would take a month to resolve - don't they always? I told them they had a week, no more. Three or four days later, my account was credited with the missing funds.

Now, ẞ40,000 is not ẞ1,000, I grant you, and you probably wouldn't be inclined to make that sort of fuss for ẞ1,000, but facing them down, if you're convinced you are in the right, does work.

And the camera might help, since I also had a problem with a more modest amount - again BBL - and the camera proved me right.

I asked them to keep camera footage but again just a stupid grin Thai style.

So typical when a farang has a problem (especially when he feels he's suffered loss of face in dealing with it) ... he has to make sure to make some nasty comment about a Thai. A bank isn't going to start running video shows for everyone who gets hysterical.

If it was a Bangkok Bank ATM they have a number to call and they do have records available to check. 1333 or 02-645-5555. Probably more useful than rushing to post on Thai Visa.

How would camera footage prove anything unless you walked away leaving money behind and someone else scooped it up, which would simply confirm your carelessness? It could hardly provide proof of the amount of money spit out of the ATM.

The attitude of the bank staff was not good.

The camera was a fish eye and was in a corner high up and would have shown everything. Of course I mentioned this as I wanted to convince them I was telling the truth.

And of course I have called the bank. I didn't post on Thai Visa expecting TV to get my money back for me.

Utter rubbish!

Many foreigners lose 10s of thousands of baht...many lose their shirt...some their lives...over baht...

It scribbled. in its usual "know everything" style.

Yes garbage.

I have been here 12 years. I know the score,

I am not looking for empathy, I want the damn money!!!

If I lose money I do not consider that lucky.

• Like 1

I break into a sweat when I remember how I once naively took ฿10 000.- from an ATM outside the 7/11 near Nana Plaza. Nowadays I try to take my money at the local Bangkok Bank (BigC) where the ATM is virtually inside the bank. My credit card was swallowed by one of these 'outside a shop' ATMs and I couldn't get it back. I was without further cash for 8 days after that, my fault I know.

so you say you were short changed 1,000 baht .....

don't use that ATM again ........... move on with your life .. coffee1.gif

Would your advice be the same if it had been 5,000 baht? Or 20,000?

The fact is that it is very easy for banks to reconcile any ATM discrepancies. They just have to compare the money in the ATM with what it says on the computer. An unwillingness to do so implies either laziness - or an intention to keep the money themselves. Neither is appropriate for an institution that we trust with our money.

Edited by BangkokHank
  • Like 2

It has never happened to me but I do know that the Bank operating the ATM have to reconcile the amount of cash that they put into the machine, issue and what is left in the cartridge when it is brought back.

P.S. I wonder how many TV readers would have complained to the Bank if they got an extra B1,000?

Edited by Estrada

It has never happened to me but I do know that the Bank operating the ATM have to reconcile the amount of cash that they put into the machine, issue and what is left in the cartridge when it is brought back.

P.S. I wonder how many TV readers would have complained to the Bank if they got an extra B1,000?

One problem there, if the ATM subsequently dishes out the 1000 note to the next person, then the reconciliation is complete, but obviously that is no solution to the person who has lost the money.

I doubt anyone would complain about receiving an extra 1000, but does that reconcile the argument too!

so you say you were short changed 1,000 baht .....

don't use that ATM again ........... move on with your life .. coffee1.gif

I do so, so ,so indeed.

Will try to move on as outlined, doing my best dear!

One crumb of comfort, I do at least appear to have a life.

Thanks for advice, you're a star.

Had just the opposite happen to me with drew 20,000 got 25,000 but slip said 20,000 and only 20,000 out of my account went inside back got some knucklehead say no problem with ATM I turned to him and said ok Then I will keep the free 5,000 baht it gave me then. He ran outside and tried it for himself sure enough it was giving 25,000 for 20,000 withdrawal He came back with loss of face saying he was sorry for not believing me. I would shutdown machine and check how many times this happened. I returned the 5,000 baht and went on my way.

Man you can say that again, plane loads land every day

Report the discrepancy to the bank which "issued" you your card. It's their responsibility to then take action by contacting the bank operating the ATM....happens quite frequently like when no money spits out but a charge still hits your account. And of course you can report it to the bank which operates the ATM....all the checks in the system will allow them to determine if an extra Bt1,000 is in the machine than shouldn't be. What would review of the camera footage show? It's only capturing an image of the upper part of your body and background...it don't count the number of bank notes that came out. Report the discrepancy to the bank which issued you your debit/credit card.

My friend did this when the ATM didn't give any money. I think he said it took 3 weeks to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...

no atm card,no credit or debit card and every time i withdraw cash at my bank i count it in front of them.

learned my lesson once in a bank on sukumvit rd,changing gbp.for baht and leaving the counter to count it as not to hold up the person behind 1,000bht note short.solly sir you left the counter.