Living with smoker 'as bad as living in polluted city'

Lite Beer

Living with smoker 'as bad as living in polluted city'

EDINBURGH: -- Non-smokers who live with a smoker are exposed to three times the officially recommended safe levels of damaging air particles, according to a study.

The researchers found that living with smokers is the same as living in smoke-free homes in heavily polluted cities such as Beijing or London.

They said moving to smoke-free homes could have major health benefits for non-smokers.

The study has been published online in the BMJ's Tobacco Control journal.

It was carried out by researchers at the universities of Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

They said there was already strong evidence to suggest that exposure to second-hand smoke is linked to a wide range of adverse health events such as respiratory and heart illness.

Accordingly, many governments have introduced measures to restrict their population's exposure to second hand smoke within workplace and leisure settings.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-29688809

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-21

yes, smelling a little smoke from a cigarette is by uncountable billions times more dangeraous than your neighbour lighting his charcoal stove, burning plastic and rubber, a thai doctor said to my wife.

I take it you smoke? It's usually smokers who say "a little smoke from a cigarette" to dismiss how unpleasant it is for other people.

• Like 2

And I used to worry about second hand smoke around my pets. I don't smoke anymore, or at least not very often, but always try to make sure I am sitting outside away from non-smokers, kids and pets.

You can NOT have it both ways. Either you smoke or do not. You do.

I used to smoke, but for health reasons I quit, except for the occasional night out, after which I immediately cease smoking. But that said, I enjoy smoking but I much prefer to enjoy it in an environment where it isn't bothering anyone else. So, only outside, and as reasonably far from non-smokers as I can get.

Restaurants are a no-no for me.

And I used to worry about second hand smoke around my pets. I don't smoke anymore, or at least not very often, but always try to make sure I am sitting outside away from non-smokers, kids and pets.

You can NOT have it both ways. Either you smoke or do not. You do.

When my doctor asked me if I quit smoking, I said 'no'.

He said that my partner had told him I had. I explained that I will probably never quit smoking, but I do not smoke except if I am out and drinking and other people are smoking.

I was recently at a party where no one was smoking, so I didn't smoke. When I do it is a very conscious decision because I have to go and buy cigarettes and a lighter. Never have them at home, in the car or with me.

I do like smoking. I envy those who can.

Does not apply to me..

I would never live with a smoker.

I would not even have a smoker as a friend.

Smokers stink, they make us stink.

There should be a day in this era when people will not believe that one day, paople willingly breathed poison that did shorten their life by more than 8 years.

• Like 2

There should be a day in this era when people will not believe that one day, paople willingly breathed poison that did shorten their life by more than 8 years.

People willingly breathed poison that shortened their life by more than 8 years and it did not even make them high. Tobacco does not do a lot more than ruin your health and make you smell bad, while satisfying a desperate need for a noxious substance that you are addicted to. At least illegal drugs feed your head.

• Like 1

People willingly breathed poison that shortened their life by more than 8 years and it did not even make them high. Tobacco does not do a lot more than ruin your health and make you smell bad, while satisfying a desperate need for a noxious substance that you are addicted to. At least illegal drugs feed your head.

Yep and a small slip and you can take more than 8 Years off unless you refer to dope, but thats smoke too isnt it?

• Like 1

Does not apply to me..

I would never live with a smoker.

I would not even have a smoker as a friend.

Smokers stink, they make us stink.

Wonder how they work that out seeing as no one knows how long they are going to live anyway.

• Like 1

I really wonder how anybody can KNOW that smoking reduces my life experience by 8 years ....

A lot of pseudo argumentation here.

As a fact:

Tobacco does NOT make anybody addicted !

Nikotin does very slightly.

What really makes addicted are the so called "addictives" the tobacco industry puts ILLEGALLY into the FILTERS !!!

They have been convicted many times but paying the fines is cheaper than changing their illegal behavior.

Much brainwashing going on here .... and even more state propaganda.

[reading this threat makes it clear that very little is knowledge and much is simple repeating main media propaganda]

Many a life cut short...by non-smokers being exposed daily to second hand smoke...this is a real hazard...no joke...take it seriously if you are a victim of someone's bad smoking habit...your life may depend upon it...

Edited by ggt

Yep and a small slip and you can take more than 8 Years off unless you refer to dope, but thats smoke too isnt it?

If you are talking about overdosing, it takes a lot more than a "small slip" and if these substances were legal and regulated, the chances would be even lower than now as the dose would be clear. My problem with tobacco, is that is does not offer much more than feeding a nicotine.addiction that provides little pleasure otherwise.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Could not agree more, problem is smokers just can not understand how bad their habit is.

50 years ago both parents were heavy smokers, the house was just a haze, every thing was coated in tar and nicotine, everything was discoloured with it.

At least today such action is considered anti social.

• Like 1

there is outside and “ outside “ – i.e in a restaurant that has no walls so the smoker considers it is still okay to indulge despite the fact that the person on the adjoining table is still eatingbah.gif

Get a life; if there are no walls what about traffic pollution and sub 10 micro hydrocarbon particles.

I am a smoker and I try to pander to all the screaming tree huggers, however, if you live in a major city such as Bangkok which is highly polluted then second hand smoke is the least of your worries, just easier to bitch about.

No, it stinks and the overt ignorance and disrespect just makes it worse.

• Like 2

Could not agree more, problem is smokers just can not understand how bad their habit is.

50 years ago both parents were heavy smokers, the house was just a haze, every thing was coated in tar and nicotine, everything was discoloured with it.

At least today such action is considered anti social.

My grandparents' place was like that.. We thought they had mustard coloured walls, until the day a photo came unstuck and revealed off-white paint underneath.

• Like 1

I really wonder how anybody can KNOW that smoking reduces my life experience by 8 years ....

A lot of pseudo argumentation here.

As a fact:

Tobacco does NOT make anybody addicted !

Nikotin does very slightly.

What really makes addicted are the so called "addictives" the tobacco industry puts ILLEGALLY into the FILTERS !!!

They have been convicted many times but paying the fines is cheaper than changing their illegal behavior.

Much brainwashing going on here .... and even more state propaganda.

[reading this threat makes it clear that very little is knowledge and much is simple repeating main media propaganda]

Hate to disagree Brian, but many many studies have shown nicotine to be highly addictive. Better bone up on your research before you express opinion as fact. Nicotine addiction is what makes it very difficult for smokers to quit. I know.. I am a former smoker.

• Like 1

there is outside and “ outside “ – i.e in a restaurant that has no walls so the smoker considers it is still okay to indulge despite the fact that the person on the adjoining table is still eatingbah.gif

Get a life; if there are no walls what about traffic pollution and sub 10 micro hydrocarbon particles.

I am a smoker and I try to pander to all the screaming tree huggers, however, if you live in a major city such as Bangkok which is highly polluted then second hand smoke is the least of your worries, just easier to bitch about.

I think it's YOU who needs to get a life and a healthy one at that and give up that filthy habit.bah.gif You don't need to be a tree hugger not to want to die with your lungs full of tar.sad.png

And by the way who said anything about Bangkok? I have encountered tobacco addicts even in restaurants without walls in rural areas far from the pollution you refer to but still selfishly light up a cigarette when people on the next people are eating. So your argument is complete rubbish.

• Like 1

I used to smoke, but for health reasons I quit, except for the occasional night out, after which I immediately cease smoking. But that said, I enjoy smoking but I much prefer to enjoy it in an environment where it isn't bothering anyone else. So, only outside, and as reasonably far from non-smokers as I can get.

Restaurants are a no-no for me.

I don't even smoke in my own house. Yet this 'article' doesn't differentiate, it's an anti-smoker attack piece, not an anti-smoking piece. It's defamatory.