Baht Bus Fares Went Up?

Roger Lee

AFAIK, the fares are THB 10 per zone and there are 3 zones:

- Jomtien (roughy from Chaiyakpruk II up to Buddha Hill)

- Pattaya (roughly from Buddha Hill up to Dolphin Roundabout)'

- Naklua (roughly from Moo Baan Naklua up to Delphin Roundabout)

Any crossing of Buddha Hill or Dolphin Roundabout will add THB 10 to the fare.

So, the OP should have paid THB 20 for a ride from Jotmtien to Central Beach Pattaya.......I guess

Wrong , it's always been 10 baht to Central from Jomtien . I should know since I live here .

These "zones" are in his brain.facepalm.gif Nothing about real life on the streets here.

This kind of reminds me of Americans in Thailand feeling they must tip based on the same rules in Thailand that they are basically OBLIGATED to in the U.S. It's in their heads. It's not in Thailand. Thais won't mind though!

Balo and Jingting, then I must have misunderstood the fare-list in the back of songtaews.....sorry for that. Oh all mighty songtaew guru's.

No idea as I hardly ever use them now, but it's long amazed me that it's stayed at 10 Baht for so long when you think what's happened to the oil price in that time. The only increase I'm aware of in the last 10 years was when they stopped charging Thais 5 Baht and demanded 10 Baht from them as well. To be honest I would be quite happy to pay 20 Baht if I used them regularly. I'm sure Jingthing will have something to say on the subject.

Oil price has nothing to do with it. Oil was at the current price or higher from 2008 to 2009 when baht buses were still charging 5 baht. Perhaps maintenance costs have risen, but you can't blame oil.

Edited by tropo

And yet the white baht buses plying Sukhumvit only charge B10 all the way from NaJomtien to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. When I hand them a B20 note, they reflexively reach for change.

• Like 1

And yet the white baht buses plying Sukhumvit only charge B10 all the way from NaJomtien to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. When I hand them a B20 note, they reflexively reach for change.

Not so many tourists on Sukhumvit so the drivers will not try to overcharge you.

• Like 1

My mother and her sisters were visiting for a couple on months last February. I explained the Baht bus and how to use them.

Told them the price was 10 baht. The only problem is if you ask, you don't know and they were always told 20 baht.

They used it daily but just would not believe me when I told them it was 10 baht.

• Like 1

My mother and her sisters were visiting for a couple on months last February. I explained the Baht bus and how to use them.

Told them the price was 10 baht. The only problem is if you ask, you don't know and they were always told 20 baht.

They used it daily but just would not believe me when I told them it was 10 baht.

Asking is silly.

Just today I witnessed a presumed local tell a newbie tourist that it was 10 baht to Pattaya Tai and 20 after. What a load of you know what. I shut up. I've learned not to be helpful that way to tourists, they usually resent it.

• Like 1

The issue is not if people are "cheap charlies" or not if they pay 10 baht instead of 20.But when when you many times every day,365 days a year are overcharged even with a small amount of money people will not accept it.Added up it will be quite a big sum of money in a year.....................................It`s refered to as "being nickled and dimed to death" wink.png !!

• Like 2

Correct Yahooka - it all adds up. People call us "cheap charlies" which in fact is Thai code for "Why the hell are you complaining when we rip you off?"

Actually not all Thais have this attitude but a significant minority do. I don't blame people for trying to maximise their income e.g. bartering by market stallholders but what really gets my goat is institutionalised dual pricing. 2 examples :-

1. Pattaya Tower - double for farangs last time I went (and didn;t go in)

2. Thai boxing in Bangkok - apparently they now refuse to sell the cheaper seats to farangs (where the real atmosphere is) and will only sell expensive ringside seats to us.

• Like 2

AFAIK, the fares are THB 10 per zone and there are 3 zones:

- Jomtien (roughy from Chaiyakpruk II up to Buddha Hill)

- Pattaya (roughly from Buddha Hill up to Dolphin Roundabout)'

- Naklua (roughly from Moo Baan Naklua up to Delphin Roundabout)

Any crossing of Buddha Hill or Dolphin Roundabout will add THB 10 to the fare.

So, the OP should have paid THB 20 for a ride from Jotmtien to Central Beach Pattaya.......I guess

Wrong , it's always been 10 baht to Central from Jomtien . I should know since I live here .

Been 20 Baht for as long as I can remember...... No way would I pay 10 baht now and not expect someone to be howling out the window at me

Been 20 Baht for as long as I can remember...... No way would I pay 10 baht now and not expect someone to be howling out the window at me

Try it. They won't. I suspect you're not a regular rider and don't know. That or you often pay double out of ignorance of the ACTUAL correct fare. Of course they will ACCEPT your double pay, thank you very much!

I don't mean to insult you. It's just that I do know the truth from long experience.

Strange then that the Two Thai Girls we were with previously were going to pay 30 Each Jomtien to Central before I interjected with 20 Is fine. No way would I give 10 Baht sorry........

Try it. They won't. I suspect you're not a regular rider and don't know. That or you often pay double out of ignorance of the ACTUAL correct fare. Of course they will ACCEPT your double pay, thank you very much!

I don't mean to insult you. It's just that I do know the truth from long experience.

Strange then that the Two Thai Girls we were with previously were going to pay 30 Each Jomtien to Central before I interjected with 20 Is fine. No way would I give 10 Baht sorry........

You're wrong. I have no idea what the story is with those goofy Thai girls, there is no such thing as a 30 baht fare in this system.

The fare is 10 baht -- Jomtien to Central.

Yes, I can say this with authority.thumbsup.gif

You can pay 100 for all I care.

But that doesn't change the correct fare.

10 baht.

If the fare DOES go up on this route, I promise I will post about it, folks.

Running into the rare driver who objects to the correct fare (10 baht) is not evidence of a fare rise.

In the rare case of a driver who objects to the correct fare, I suggest in most cases to pay what he demands, because if not, you risk being physically attacked, so of course not worth it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

A raise of 50% seems not acceptable...

Not really if there have been no increases in the last 10 or more years. Which would you prefer a 50 satang per year increase over 10 years or a 5 baht increase once every 10 years.

P.S. Not saying the increase is justified or official just showing how Thais sometimes handle price increases.

Edited by Keesters

Sorry, but you obviously are overpaying. I get off at Central regularly to either meet the GF (who works there) or to meet mates over at New Plaza (across the street from CF) and always the fare has been 10 baht. But to each their own.

Obviously! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

A raise of 50% seems not acceptable...

Not really if there have been no increases in the last 10 or more years. Which would you prefer a 50 satang per year increase over 10 years or a 5 baht increase once every 10 years.

P.S. Not saying the increase is justified or official just showing how Thais sometimes handle price increases.

It's not a matter of "justified" or not justified.

Dudes: This "increase" is nonexistent!

No increase.

Fare is 10 baht.

What part of

Not saying the increase is justified or official just showing how Thais sometimes handle price increases.

didn't you understand. It should be read in connection with janpharma's post about a 50% increase.

Your post is pointless.

No, there was a point. You were talking about a price rise AS IF this has already happened, officially or not. But it has not. A random rip off driver isn't ANY kind of price increase, it's just some random guy who knows he's wrong trying to intimidate people probably perceived as TOURISTS.

You can get hot about this all you want, that's how I read it, so TOO BAD. I'm sure you can cope.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

No, there was a point. You were talking about a price rise AS IF this has already happened, officially or not. But it has not. A random rip off driver isn't ANY kind of price increase, it's just some random guy who knows he's wrong trying to intimidate people probably perceived as TOURISTS.

You can get hot about this all you want, that's how I read it, so TOO BAD. I'm sure you can cope.

There has been no rise I totally agree. Its 10 Baht hop on hop off around Central. Its not 10 Baht from Central To Jomtien or V V....Its 20 Baht

There has been no rise I totally agree. Its 10 Baht hop on hop off around Central. Its not 10 Baht from Central To Jomtien or V V....Its 20 Baht

The question in the OP was about Jomtien to Central which normally is done with ONE bus ride.

Going the other way, most people take TWO buses (starting the second bus at the Pattaya Tai queue), and of course as the standard fare for any ride is 10 baht, that adds up to 2 x 10 equals 20.

There is no transfer system here for these buses.

They do not always follow assumed routes either.

Occasionally baht buses from Jomtien will simply TURN at Pattaya Tai ... so then if you want to ride further north, of course, same situation, TWO fares of 10 baht.

Also keep in mind that the 10 baht basic fare applies to even VERY SHORT rides.

The grey area about what is the definition of very LONG rides kicking the fare to 20 baht is not communicated by the baht bus authorities, so it is up to riders to learn what fares are generally accepted and what are not.

You might think that Jomtien to Central is a "very long" ride and you are free to pay 20 but almost always 10 baht will be accepted so in my view, that means it is the correct fare.

So Jomtien to Central, 10 baht generally accepted.

Jomtien to North Pattaya road, 10 baht will frequently NOT be accepted (so my suggestion is just pay 20 baht for that trip)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Why cant you just accept the facts instead of trolling ?

We , the residents living in the jomtien area for years should know this right?

It's 10 Baht from Jomtien to Central . Capisce?

• Like 1

Had an eye-opening experience yesterday afternoon on a baht bus:

I caught one near Soi Watboon on Jomtien Beach Road. The driver invited me into the cab, since there was only standing room on the back. (I am limping due to a foot injury, and that might be why.)

I was astounded at the number of riders -- both farang and Thai -- that paid B20! I only went as far as Central Festival mall, and like JT, I firmly believe the official fare is B10 from Jomtien to Pattaya Klang. But almost all of the riders paid B20, even those getting off before we got to Pattaya Second Road.

It appears that while the "official fare" may be B10, the "de facto fare" is already B20? Even Thais were paying B20.

Jingthing, just a genuine question.

You've been residing in Pattaya since Jesus was in short pants and an extensive and often rider on the Songthaews.

Does that mean that you are now a known figure there amongst the Drivers.

They see you, they feel you hop on their bus/truck and they privately think ... humm ... he's a regular, better not try anything on with him.

Do you get the feeling?

I caught one near Soi Watboon on Jomtien Beach Road. The driver invited me into the cab, since there was only standing room on the back. (I am limping due to a foot injury, and that might be why.)

I was astounded at the number of riders -- both farang and Thai -- that paid B20! I only went as far as Central Festival mall, and like JT, I firmly believe the official fare is B10 from Jomtien to Pattaya Klang. But almost all of the riders paid B20, even those getting off before we got to Pattaya Second Road.

It appears that while the "official fare" may be B10, the "de facto fare" is already B20? Even Thais were paying B20.

Yes people do tip especially the tourists but the regular riders know the fare. It is also possible the fare collected might have been for two people unbeknownst to you. When I was riding baht buses with friends we would double up to pay the fare simply to avoid disputes and waiting with your hand out for change. I would just hand the driver 20 baht and the two of us would walk away.

It didn't occur to you that maybe they were paying for 2 persons ? You hand over 20 baht and you and another passenger leaves in a hurry. Maybe you didn't pay attention.

It didn't occur to you that maybe they were paying for 2 persons ? You hand over 20 baht and you and another passenger leaves in a hurry. Maybe you didn't pay attention.

Good point.

Many many times I have seen a solo payer in front of me give 20 and the driver is confused about whether to give change, thinking maybe they were paying my TEN BAHT FARE as well. Sometimes as I show my 10 the driver signals to me to give the other payer the 10 instead of him.

Sorted.

• Like 1