Baht Bus Fares Went Up?

Roger Lee

• 2 weeks later...

No, there was a point. You were talking about a price rise AS IF this has already happened, officially or not. But it has not. A random rip off driver isn't ANY kind of price increase, it's just some random guy who knows he's wrong trying to intimidate people probably perceived as TOURISTS.

You can get hot about this all you want, that's how I read it, so TOO BAD. I'm sure you can cope.

There has been no rise I totally agree. Its 10 Baht hop on hop off around Central. Its not 10 Baht from Central To Jomtien or V V....Its 20 Baht

Why cant you just accept the facts instead of trolling ?

We , the residents living in the jomtien area for years should know this right?

It's 10 Baht from Jomtien to Central . Capisce?

No quite frankly.....you be a tight arse if it suits. Me and everyone else know its 20 Baht ok

No, there was a point. You were talking about a price rise AS IF this has already happened, officially or not. But it has not. A random rip off driver isn't ANY kind of price increase, it's just some random guy who knows he's wrong trying to intimidate people probably perceived as TOURISTS.

You can get hot about this all you want, that's how I read it, so TOO BAD. I'm sure you can cope.

There has been no rise I totally agree. Its 10 Baht hop on hop off around Central. Its not 10 Baht from Central To Jomtien or V V....Its 20 Baht

Why cant you just accept the facts instead of trolling ?

We , the residents living in the jomtien area for years should know this right?

It's 10 Baht from Jomtien to Central . Capisce?

No quite frankly.....you be a tight arse if it suits. Me and everyone else know its 20 Baht ok

Everyone else you say? I seriously doubt you're a regular ride of that route if you actually believe that. But like I have said, pay double the actual fare if that's what you prefer.

What they said. It is B10 from Jomtien all the way to Pattaya Klang. Some riders may pay more, and of course, the driver won't object. Just like the driver doesn't object when "we" pay our B10.

• Like 1

No, the rates have not gone up.

Drivers tend to play more games as high season approaches.

I must say though if you get a driver like that, if you don't pay what he demands you do risk being violently assaulted.

As someone who rides all the time I can tell real changes from incidental bad apple drivers.

Occasional incidents do not represent actual "official" changes.

The OFFICIAL RATES which have not changed are 10 baht for all rides and 20 baht for EXCEPTIONALLY long rides.

The latter has never been defined, so it's possible some drivers will demand 20 from further out Jomtien to Central but that is rare.

IF you pass PATTAYA KLANG, it is more common for there to be a demand of 20, and in my opinion if you go as far as Big C you should just pay 20 without being asked.

Really Pattaya Klang is the semi-official marking line ... it does become a greyer area after that.

Some drivers in past especially during high season have kicked off all passengers at South Pattaya Road or made a big announcement there, that to go further will be 20 baht. These are bad apples.

I suggest just getting off if meeting these bozos.

15 is a creative twist.

If it starts to happen that a MAJORITY of drivers starts demanding 15 from Jomtien to Central, then I will conclude they had a "meeting" and that might be something real. Not even close to that yet! Incidental reports mean almost nothing.

Cheers and safe riding!

I was just hearing yesterday, they are doing exactly the same up in Chiang Mai where all of a sudden they are asking up to twice the normal fare. They don't have fixed rates in CM like we do here , so each time you get a red baht bus in CM you must negotiate your fare. The expats in CM are saying when they get like this they just wait until a more reasonable driver comes along.

In C M it's supposed to be 20 baht on a share red songtheaw, but often they want more ( farang price ). I tried about 10 once, but they all wanted 80 to 100 for a 20 baht ride. I hate C M red songtheaws.

Had an eye-opening experience yesterday afternoon on a baht bus:

I caught one near Soi Watboon on Jomtien Beach Road. The driver invited me into the cab, since there was only standing room on the back. (I am limping due to a foot injury, and that might be why.)

I was astounded at the number of riders -- both farang and Thai -- that paid B20! I only went as far as Central Festival mall, and like JT, I firmly believe the official fare is B10 from Jomtien to Pattaya Klang. But almost all of the riders paid B20, even those getting off before we got to Pattaya Second Road.

It appears that while the "official fare" may be B10, the "de facto fare" is already B20? Even Thais were paying B20.

I have been paying 20 baht to/ from Jomptien for many years, as do the Thais.

Don't complain- in Chiang Mai it'd be 100.

Had an eye-opening experience yesterday afternoon on a baht bus:

I caught one near Soi Watboon on Jomtien Beach Road. The driver invited me into the cab, since there was only standing room on the back. (I am limping due to a foot injury, and that might be why.)

I was astounded at the number of riders -- both farang and Thai -- that paid B20! I only went as far as Central Festival mall, and like JT, I firmly believe the official fare is B10 from Jomtien to Pattaya Klang. But almost all of the riders paid B20, even those getting off before we got to Pattaya Second Road.

It appears that while the "official fare" may be B10, the "de facto fare" is already B20? Even Thais were paying B20.

I have been paying 20 baht to/ from Jomptien for many years, as do the Thais.

Don't complain- in Chiang Mai it'd be 100.

No the don't. The correct fare is TEN BAHT as far as Pattaya Klang. Please stop spreading obviously false information. You may pay as much as you like but the actual fare is TEN BAHT. Chiang Mai trucks are completely IRRELEVANT. A totally different system there with totally different geography. Duh!

BTW, since this thread started which asked a good question, has there been a fare change, I have ridden this route SEVERAL TIMES as far as Pattaya Klang, always paid 10 baht ... accepted every time without any comment from any drivers. And this is high season now, a time when there tends to be more games. Now people, GET REAL, if the fare was actually 20 baht, don't you think MOST DRIVERS would be demanding it? Of course they would. Again: Duh!

More proof ... try giving FIVE baht even just to Pattaya Tai. I guarantee you 100 percent of drivers will DEMAND the 10 ... and aggressively so. Again: DUH!

SHOULD the fare be 20 baht? Do the drivers "deserve" 20 baht? Interesting questions, but is that really your business any more than the price of eggs at 7-11? The price is the price. In this case TEN BAHT.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Why is this ridiculous topic still being discussed? JT, please don't reply anymore to these clowns who insist

on paying more than 10 baht. Your only adding fuel to the fire. If they want to live in their own delusional world,

Let them be.

I think you should pay 15 baht, you are being waaaay too tight, you do realise these guys have to earn a living hauling your fat %*$*s all that way from Jomtien!!!!!!!whistling.gif

Edited by lemel

I have lived in Jomtien for 8 years... The baht bus has ALWAYS been 10 baht until you get to Pattaya Tai and then ANOTHER 10 baht past that....

Girlfriend and I went to Pattaya Tai for the fireworks and it was 10 baht each.

Isn't that interesting, I have been going from Jomtien to Pattaya Klang (beyond Pattaya Tai) for twice as long as you and I pay 10 baht; you have a good heart but some people like to pay the official rate. Eventually the rates will increase and when they do I will gladly pay the new rate but until then it is 10 baht for me.
  • Like 2

I have lived in Jomtien for 8 years... The baht bus has ALWAYS been 10 baht until you get to Pattaya Tai and then ANOTHER 10 baht past that....

Girlfriend and I went to Pattaya Tai for the fireworks and it was 10 baht each.

That is always what YOU paid.

That was not the actual fare though as you were misinformed about the fare doubling after Pattaya Tai.

It's funny to me how you lived here for so long and never learned that.

Well I've always paid 10baht. Only once did the driver scream at me at Central wanting 20baht. I solved the issue by purchasing a car so now I no longer have to deal with these people...wai2.gif

That's worth pointing out again.

Even when paying the correct fare, you will still get the rare/occasional hot headed driver demanding more.

The question then is how to react ... ignore and only pay the correct fare, cave to the hot head and prevent a chance of being violently assaulted, decide to pay ALL drivers more now based on that, or chuck it all and stop riding.

My suggestion:

Only pay attention if you notice the percentage of hot heads is significant ... then there is evidence the real fare has actually changed (or perhaps a high season thing).

Generally just cave in to the hot heads (though I don't always follow my own advice on that).

I think chucking the system because of a few hot heads doesn't make sense.

If the fare really does go up, then pay the new fare.

On topic: THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED.

Edited by Jingthing

I've lived in Jomtien for over 20 years. This thread reminds me of the time when fares went up from 5 baht to 10. i was unaware of the change until ,after a relatively short trip my proffered 5 single baht coins were thrown back at me--with venom.

I venture to suggest that if official fares do increase --passengers will soon be put in the picture.Happy tripping.

Perhaps, but it hasn't happened yet. I can give DEFINITE CONFIRMATION ... riding the route regularly at 10 baht and haven't had any pushback from even one driver in MANY MONTHS.

100% correct!

I paid 20 baht only twice in many years. Alone with the driver and just to avoid further arguments.

• 2 weeks later...

Wowza!

Even WIKIPEDIA has got this right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jomtien_Beach

Songthaews (aka "bahtbus") are the most popular mode of public transportation, and run from Jomtien Beach to north Pattaya. On the regular route the cost is 10 baht for shorter distances and most Pattaya destinations or 20 baht for north Pattaya and beyond. However they can be much higher if asked to go to a designated destination. Motorbike taxis generally operate in the town and suburbs, and are mainly used by locals for short distances.

No, I didn't post that in WIKIPEDIA

Just update this one Re Jomtien Beach back into Pattaya

20 Baht per person. No messing no argument I simply "asked" but in the meantime watched a whole Baht Bus of passengers pay 20 Baht without asking. We went the furthest as well back to Soi 5 when all original pax had got off.

You're asking for trouble by being a tight git and trying to get away with 10 Baht

Just update this one Re Jomtien Beach back into Pattaya

20 Baht per person. No messing no argument I simply "asked" but in the meantime watched a whole Baht Bus of passengers pay 20 Baht without asking. We went the furthest as well back to Soi 5 when all original pax had got off.

You're asking for trouble by being a tight git and trying to get away with 10 Baht

You're wrong. I know you're wrong. Paying 10 baht is paying the correct fare. Period. No trouble as far as Pattaya Klang. Please stop spreading blatantly false information.

So you asked did you? That's hilarious. There is no reason to ever speak to drivers unless you want a charter. Posting from Central. 10 baht.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

I had to go to immigration the other day and I got a songtaew back getting off at Central and I noticed a few farangs got on at Ptatunamak area and they paid 20 baht each <deleted> and got off before me.

I paid 20 anyway but I really shouldn't but I have noticed that even some thais paid 20 each from Jomtien when I came back from the beach a few weeks ago.

So it seems that while the official fare is still 10 baht many are paying 20 baht.

Baht bus drivers are powerfull group they dont need tips or pity. Good for them, no problem with that. Majority of the passengers in baht bus system are local thai. Some of them get 600baht monthly pension, and do also work and need to travel around. For them doubling the fare from 10 to 20 would be big problem. If many people keep overpaying soon the price will be 20 for all.

Already now there is too many baht buses on beach area and too few on other areas. One reason is that there is easy money on beach areas and the baht buses just go where there is easy money.

Some times I ask what is the price from Jomtien to Central festival area. Always answer has been 10baht. I ask from thais. If I have large luggage or golf bag then I have to pay 20 because the bag takes a seat from other customers. That is reasonable.

• Like 1