Baht Bus Fares Went Up?

Roger Lee

I just hopped off the baht bus from Jomtien at Central Mall and the driver demanded 15 baht each stating the rates have gone up.

Still a bargain IMHO but at the same time I don't like being ripped off.

So what gives, have the rates gone up?

No idea as I hardly ever use them now, but it's long amazed me that it's stayed at 10 Baht for so long when you think what's happened to the oil price in that time. The only increase I'm aware of in the last 10 years was when they stopped charging Thais 5 Baht and demanded 10 Baht from them as well. To be honest I would be quite happy to pay 20 Baht if I used them regularly. I'm sure Jingthing will have something to say on the subject.

• Like 1

No, the rates have not gone up.

Drivers tend to play more games as high season approaches.

I must say though if you get a driver like that, if you don't pay what he demands you do risk being violently assaulted.

As someone who rides all the time I can tell real changes from incidental bad apple drivers.

Occasional incidents do not represent actual "official" changes.

The OFFICIAL RATES which have not changed are 10 baht for all rides and 20 baht for EXCEPTIONALLY long rides.

The latter has never been defined, so it's possible some drivers will demand 20 from further out Jomtien to Central but that is rare.

IF you pass PATTAYA KLANG, it is more common for there to be a demand of 20, and in my opinion if you go as far as Big C you should just pay 20 without being asked.

Really Pattaya Klang is the semi-official marking line ... it does become a greyer area after that.

Some drivers in past especially during high season have kicked off all passengers at South Pattaya Road or made a big announcement there, that to go further will be 20 baht. These are bad apples.

I suggest just getting off if meeting these bozos.

15 is a creative twist.

If it starts to happen that a MAJORITY of drivers starts demanding 15 from Jomtien to Central, then I will conclude they had a "meeting" and that might be something real. Not even close to that yet! Incidental reports mean almost nothing.

Cheers and safe riding!

I was just hearing yesterday, they are doing exactly the same up in Chiang Mai where all of a sudden they are asking up to twice the normal fare. They don't have fixed rates in CM like we do here , so each time you get a red baht bus in CM you must negotiate your fare. The expats in CM are saying when they get like this they just wait until a more reasonable driver comes along.

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought it was strange to be charged 15 baht per person, it was just two of us so I gave my gf (I always let her pay since she's Thai) another 20 baht and waved him off.

As he was pulling away I took a photo of the baht bus with the license number. That's when it got a little weird, he stopped the truck got out and started screaming the rates have changed. Why would he be upset to have me photograph his truck if he'd done nothing wrong?

I wave him off again and kept on walking. After witnessing first hand the dog pack mentality of Thai's when it comes to fighting I know better than to stand up for what I feel/think is right, not worth it. I feel lucky not to have any confrontations period, just walk away smiling.

I must say though if you get a driver like that, if you don't pay what he demands you do risk being violently assaulted.

As someone who rides all the time I can tell real changes from incidental bad apple drivers.

The OFFICIAL RATES which have not changed are 10 baht for all rides and 20 baht for EXCEPTIONALLY long rides.

The latter has never been defined, so it's possible some drivers will demand 20 from further out Jomtien to Central but that is rare.

IF you pass PATTAYA KLANG, it is more common for there to be a demand of 20, and in my opinion if you go as far as Big C you should just pay 20 without being asked.

Really Pattaya Klang is the semi-official marking line ... it does become a greyer area after that.

Some drivers in past especially during high season have kicked off all passengers at South Pattaya Road or made a big announcement there, that to go further will be 20 baht. These are bad apples.

15 is a creative twist.

If it starts to happen that a MAJORITY of drivers starts demanding 15 from Jomtien to Central, then I will conclude they had a "meeting" and that might be something real. Not even close to that yet! Incidental reports mean almost nothing.

Cheers and safe riding!

• Like 1

15 is a creative twist.

Cheers and safe riding!

He said Jomtien at Central Mall, did not say where too. I always found the bus from Jomtien to Patts stopped around the back of walking st and then you changed.

I'm tempted to call that hotline number and ask since I have a photo of the truck, but I'll relent and just let it be. This is Thailand after all.

In the states I wouldn't stand for it, but this isn't the states, nor would I anticipate 5 or 6 drivers engaging in a beating on one person for standing up for what they feel is right, which happens here all of the time.

I'll just let it go and remember, I'm a guest in this country. I think my baht bus rides are numbered though. I'll let my money do my talking. The fare is cheap, it's the principle of it.

A raise of 50% seems not acceptable...

I've taken the baht bus from Jomtien to Central Mall numerous times and this "rate increase" is a first for me.

I think my baht bus rides are numbered though, I'll let my money do the talking, not that'll do any good.

15 is a creative twist.

Cheers and safe riding!

He said Jomtien at Central Mall, did not say where too. I always found the bus from Jomtien to Patts stopped around the back of walking st and then you changed.

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I think the fares are fair and reasonable and they could even charge twice what they do and I'd feel the same.

It's being taken or ripped off that goes against my grain and being helpless to do anything about it.

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Like 2

I have lived on Pattaya for 12 years. If an increase to 15 baht is confirmed that a 50% increase in 12 years does not really seems to bad.

However, on Monday I went from Jomtien to Big C in North Pattaya. I give a 20 baht note and for the first time ever I was given change - which I was not expecting because a had always assumed that journey was far enough to be 20 baht.

• Like 2

He was demanding an extra 10 baht for the two of us, I paid an extra 20 baht and walked away.

The screaming started when I took a photo of his truck, I just waved and walked away smiling.

Just hand over 10 baht and walk away. If he's shouting at you, run for your life.

Edited by Roger Lee

Roger Lee, on 23 Oct 2014 - 11:07, said:

Not worth the trouble, no way would I want to get physical with a Thai especially after watching the dog pack mentality when it comes to confrontations.

jomcondo, on 23 Oct 2014 - 10:57, said:

Carry a baseball bat & start swinging it around when any future problems arise.

Think this was a joke.

Not worth the trouble, no way would I want to get physical with a Thai especially after watching the dog pack mentality when it comes to confrontations.

Carry a baseball bat & start swinging it around when any future problems arise.

Good post, like button not working again, can't someone at TV not do something about this?

• Like 1

Yep, got me there, they do tolerate us, don't have to like us, just smile.

I've read that Chiang Mai is considering doing the 90 day reporting at 7-11's, we'll see how far that'll get. It would be handy for sure though.

I'm tempted to call that hotline number and ask since I have a photo of the truck, but I'll relent and just let it be. This is Thailand after all.

In the states I wouldn't stand for it, but this isn't the states, nor would I anticipate 5 or 6 drivers engaging in a beating on one person for standing up for what they feel is right, which happens here all of the time.

I'll just let it go and remember, I'm a guest in this country. I think my baht bus rides are numbered though. I'll let my money do my talking. The fare is cheap, it's the principle of it.

A guest in this country?? no chance, you are just tolerated. Ninety day reports etc etc etc.