Baht Bus Fares Went Up?

Roger Lee

I had to go to immigration the other day and I got a songtaew back getting off at Central and I noticed a few farangs got on at Ptatunamak area and they paid 20 baht each <deleted> and got off before me.

I paid 20 anyway but I really shouldn't but I have noticed that even some thais paid 20 each from Jomtien when I came back from the beach a few weeks ago.

So it seems that while the official fare is still 10 baht many are paying 20 baht.

Thats because 20 Baht is correct fare !! I haven't spoken or seen just one individual who pays 10 Baht. Only this jingjing character who one day no doubt will get clumped over his noggin by some irate bb driver late at night

I had to go to immigration the other day and I got a songtaew back getting off at Central and I noticed a few farangs got on at Ptatunamak area and they paid 20 baht each <deleted> and got off before me.

I paid 20 anyway but I really shouldn't but I have noticed that even some thais paid 20 each from Jomtien when I came back from the beach a few weeks ago.

So it seems that while the official fare is still 10 baht many are paying 20 baht.

Thats because 20 Baht is correct fare !! I haven't spoken or seen just one individual who pays 10 Baht. Only this jingjing character who one day no doubt will get clumped over his noggin by some irate bb driver late at night

So how many times do you ride that route in a month? How about THIS month?rolleyes.gif

Prices for me have gone DOWN, but the games have gone WAY UP. I used to be able to ride a baht bus around beach road and 2nd road for hours if I felt like staying on, but now you get kicked to the curb at Walking Street. Same with all other routes, and there were MANY drivers who wanted to charge me 100 baht and up before I even got on.

Requesting upfront 100 Thb is for chartering the bus. You see this quite often now with Russians and Indians, even had it once that some Thais chartered the bus at Central Festival and I had to get off (no fare to pay for me).

One of the reasons of 15 people cattle cars to Jomtien, as described before, because then its more likely that people charter a bus.

To Jomtien, it would be more likely 200 or even 300.

Edited by BernieOnTour

Hi. My today experience to add fuel to the fire wink.png

At about noon I took a bahtbus on 2nd Rd just before South Rd, to go Soi 4 (International Hospital)

Inside were 3 (Russian?) people coming from the direction of Jomtien

The bahtbus get 2 other people before stopping at Central Beach Festival...

Then the driver went out see us and talked to the 3 Russians, in broken English with large gestures:

"stop here 10 baht. Continue 20 baht. Ok mai ?". Not sure what they understood but they decided to stop here.

The driver then asked the 3 of us where we go: I said Soi 4, the 2 others Big C. He said "ok" and drive.

I stopped at Soi 4 and paid 10 baht as usual.

Not the first time I heard about that, but the first time it happen to me.

Central Beach Festival is becoming the reference point for taxis coming from Jomtien,

and - sorry Jingthing - the limit for the 10 baht trips...

I haven't been to Pattaya for several months, but will be going tomorrow.

Last time I took a songtaew from Pattaya Nua bus station to soi 12. He asked for 50 baht. I smiled and gave him 20 baht.

Behind me were some Asian tourists. They didn't know how much so they just opened their hands and showed him the money.

He took about 80 baht from each of them. I didn't say anything.

I haven't been to Pattaya for several months, but will be going tomorrow.

Last time I took a songtaew from Pattaya Nua bus station to soi 12. He asked for 50 baht. I smiled and gave him 20 baht.

Behind me were some Asian tourists. They didn't know how much so they just opened their hands and showed him the money.

He took about 80 baht from each of them. I didn't say anything.

It should be 30 baht from the bus station to Beach Road. The fare is usually collected before the bus leaves. Thais pay the same as everyone else. Anybody requiring a detour to their hotel, or going on past the end of Beach Road will have to pay more.

• Like 1

This Chivas character should really give up spreading false information, what's your agenda ? It's 10 baht from Jomtien all the way to Central. Repeat after me 10 times : 10 baht Edited by balo
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I think the fares are fair and reasonable and they could even charge twice what they do and I'd feel the same.

It's being taken or ripped off that goes against my grain and being helpless to do anything about it.

"It's being taken or ripped off that goes against my grain ..."

In other the words the fear of "loss of face."

Yep, got me there, they do tolerate us, don't have to like us, just smile.

I've read that Chiang Mai is considering doing the 90 day reporting at 7-11's, we'll see how far that'll get. It would be handy for sure though.

"After witnessing first hand the dog pack mentality of Thai's ..."

"...no way would I want to get physical with a Thai especially after watching the dog pack mentality "

"Yep, got me there, they do tolerate us, don't have to like us, just smile."

Given all the Thai bashing that goes on Thai Visa and your repeated denigrating reference to Thais' "dog pack mentality," does it not seem more than a little disingenuous to then whine about being barely tolerated and unloved?

I feel no more nor less tolerated or loved here, especially by taxi drivers, than anywhere else in the world and generalizing some possibly negative experiences to all people of the same nationality or race while referencing their imagined behavior as being like dogs would hardly qualify me to expect to be loved or tolerated.

It's just amazing how some people seem obsessed with raising the most trivial things to the level of rip-offs, scams and assuming these things equate to a concerted, collaborative assault on all Farangs by all Thais, while most of us come from countries in which intolerance to others of different race or nationality or religion is practically institutionalized.

Being, probably for the first time in their lives, in a minority, seems to make too many farangs constantly on alert for the slightest affectation or facial expression that is then bandied about as concrete evidence of human rights violations.

I can't believe most of the whiners and whingers were so loved, adored, esteemed and exalted by every taxi driver or store clerk back in FarangLand. If you encountered someone back in Farang Utopia who wasn't smiling continuously or with whom you had a difference of opinion or who charged more than you felt was justified, did you then conclude everyone in your whole country was conspiring against you?

Edited by Suradit69

I only pay 10 baht for the trip from Jomtien to Central Festival Mall. The only time I paid 20 baht was when it was demanded, hence my OP.

As far as I know it is only 10 baht.

I'm tempted to call that hotline number and ask since I have a photo of the truck, but I'll relent and just let it be. This is Thailand after all.

In the states I wouldn't stand for it, but this isn't the states, nor would I anticipate 5 or 6 drivers engaging in a beating on one person for standing up for what they feel is right, which happens here all of the time.

I'll just let it go and remember, I'm a guest in this country. I think my baht bus rides are numbered though. I'll let my money do my talking. The fare is cheap, it's the principle of it.

A raise of 50% seems not acceptable...

Good post, except for one thing, we are not guests in this country, we are only tolerated because of our contribution to the Thai economy. If I told a guest in my house that he must report to me every ninety days, or even post me, would he accept that he was a guest in my house?

• 3 weeks later...

So how many times do you ride that route in a month? How about THIS month?rolleyes.gif

Yes December and January,,,,,everyone Thai and Farang 20 Baht period.....apologies for late response.

Yes December and January,,,,,everyone Thai and Farang 20 Baht period.....apologies for late response.

Sorry. That's false information. I ride most days, 10 baht. No objections from the drivers whatsoever. Paying 20 wouldn't be a problem either. Or 100. Or 1000. But the CORRECT fare is TEN BAHT as far as Pattaya Klang. That is a FACT. I have no idea WHY people would be motivated to broadcast false information about the fares.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Sorry. That's false information. I ride most days, 10 baht. No objections from the drivers whatsoever. Paying 20 wouldn't be a problem either. Or 100. Or 1000. But the CORRECT fare is TEN BAHT as far as Pattaya Klang. That is a FACT. I have no idea WHY people would be motivated to broadcast false information about the fares.

Because they don't want to lose face (farang obviously adopdet that shit wink.png ) for overpaying.

Why can't you just admit that you're a troll who's enjoying the extra attention in this thread ?

We all know its 10 baht, because we live here. high season, low season, christmas, songkran. 10 baht.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Definition of "correct" fare in a sometimes (and clearly DELIBERATE) ambiguous system such as Pattaya baht buses:

The lowest fare that is very widely accepted without objection by operators.

Occasional incidents of objection to amounts paid does not mean the "correct" fare has changed.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the other posters that the widely accepted fare from jomtien to central is 10 baht.

The first time I ever took a baht bus (many many years ago) I had read how the rate was 10 baht and when I got off the bus, a large group had gotten off as well. I was the last one in line to pay for my fare and the thai girl in front of me handed the driver 20 baht and walked away. When I tried to give the driver my fare he refused to take it. I really had no idea what was going on. I did make a mental note of the situation and later realized that the driver assumed that the thai girl had also paid for my fare.

Most of the time I take a motor taxi and pay 200 baht - not because the fare is 200 baht but because I feel that the value of the ride and the time saved by not making multiple stops to pick up more passengers, and the ability for a bike to weave through traffic is worth the value. If I got on a baht bus today, I would pay 20 baht because 1) I don't want more crap in my pocket (see coins) and 2) because I feel I get an amazing value for that 20 baht. The question however is not about the value of the ride, the question is about the actual fare cost - which is 10 baht.

• Like 1

I live in VT2 and from there to go to the Nak. seafood market I transfer at North Pattaya rd. I do this maybe every 10 days and always pay 10 baht. Maybe every 5th run the driver goes all the way to the market so I will give 20. Couple years never a problem.

• Like 1

I live in VT2 and from there to go to the Nak. seafood market I transfer at North Pattaya rd. I do this maybe every 10 days and always pay 10 baht. Maybe every 5th run the driver goes all the way to the market so I will give 20. Couple years never a problem.

That's interesting. I pay 20 up to Big C or North Road partly because I had a high rate of pushback on 10 over the years. That's how I judge ... frequent pushback means I've got the fare wrong. Up to Pattaya Klang, pushback very rare.

Taxi fares went up and there are less russians in jomtien this year. They just want a slice of the money pie. Its definitly unofficial but if enough buses do it and enough peole complain or are beat up then there will be more info. I will try going a few stops in jomtien this week and see what happens.

No, the rates have not gone up.

Drivers tend to play more games as high season approaches.

I must say though if you get a driver like that, if you don't pay what he demands you do risk being violently assaulted.

As someone who rides all the time I can tell real changes from incidental bad apple drivers.

Occasional incidents do not represent actual "official" changes.

The OFFICIAL RATES which have not changed are 10 baht for all rides and 20 baht for EXCEPTIONALLY long rides.

The latter has never been defined, so it's possible some drivers will demand 20 from further out Jomtien to Central but that is rare.

IF you pass PATTAYA KLANG, it is more common for there to be a demand of 20, and in my opinion if you go as far as Big C you should just pay 20 without being asked.

Really Pattaya Klang is the semi-official marking line ... it does become a greyer area after that.

Some drivers in past especially during high season have kicked off all passengers at South Pattaya Road or made a big announcement there, that to go further will be 20 baht. These are bad apples.

I suggest just getting off if meeting these bozos.

15 is a creative twist.

If it starts to happen that a MAJORITY of drivers starts demanding 15 from Jomtien to Central, then I will conclude they had a "meeting" and that might be something real. Not even close to that yet! Incidental reports mean almost nothing.

Cheers and safe riding!

I was just hearing yesterday, they are doing exactly the same up in Chiang Mai where all of a sudden they are asking up to twice the normal fare. They don't have fixed rates in CM like we do here , so each time you get a red baht bus in CM you must negotiate your fare. The expats in CM are saying when they get like this they just wait until a more reasonable driver comes along.

Some areas, like circling the moat, have a fixed price. However, tourists do not know this price so the drivers sometimes try to get one over on them. Where they are really hosing people is when they need to be taken somewhere directly. Silly prices sometimes.

Now the locals have a taste of Chinese and they are getting away with just hosing them to death, they are getting bolder with everyone else.

It's a shame people can't just do what they are supposed to do. This is the one aspect of many developing countries that I despise, the locals will mostly try to rip you off for no reason other than they think they are entitled to. If given a chance to be crooks, most of them will be crooks.