Baht Bus Fares Went Up?

Roger Lee

Seems to be a standard 30 baht now for the songteaw from the bus station to Beach Road.

That's a special service.

Agreed.

How does that distance, say the Bus Station to 'Central Shopping Centre' compare to Jontiem into Patts?

Posting error. Edited by Jingthing

What part of it's not about the money don't you understand? If you don't live on principles then so be it, move on please.

Personally I don't appreciate being taken, no matter how small. And yes I chose to walk away.

The original post only asked if the fares had gone up, nothing more.

It's not about the money, it's about the principle.

principle over 5 baht? Indignation might be best kept tucked away for 5 baht- people have been beaten and shot for 5 baht here no doubt.

Edited by Roger Lee

Being treated like baggage makes the ride only worth 10 baht. Have you ever gotte on the baht bus at South Pattaya and Second Road to come back to Jomtien? They don't leave until 15 people are on board! .... even if some are fat Russians, that like to slouch and sit sideways!! God help anyone that wants a baht bus from South Soi 15 to Theppraya! There is never any room unlsee you can springboard on to the roof as it goes by!

Don't ride a baht bus alone late at night either. Two years ago, I got taken down by the go kart track, dumped off in the middle of nowhere and was robbed at gunpoint.

• Like 1

The principle is important. I thought it was scandalous a couple of years ago when they charged falang 10 baht and Thais 5 baht. Therefore I paid at that time B15 for me and my Thai wife. I'm quite happy to now pay B20 for the same ride. That's not being a cheap charlie. If the price goes up to B15 then fair enough but it must be for everyone not just farangs. What I hate is dual pricing e.g. Pattaya Tower. I do not want Thais charged excessively in my country so, quid pro quo, likewise for me in Thailand.

• Like 2

The OFFICIAL RATES which have not changed are 10 baht for all rides and 20 baht for EXCEPTIONALLY long rides.

Where did you take this information from ?

On the only official document I saw, several years ago already, there was not a "unique price" for bahtbus,

but several ones depending of the ride and - at this time - in a range from 8 to 13 baht (? I think).

For some reason (ease with tourists?) bahtbus inside Pattaya use this 10 baht / 20 baht price system.

Rather than augmenting (for an uneasy price such as 12 or 13 baht) they prefer reduce the distance.

Years ago from Jomtien for 10 baht you could go up to North Road, then up to Central Rd, Central Beach Festival,...

Now many bahtbus consider that Royal Garden is the limit for 10 baht.

I find that rather logical considering inflation and oil price.

Now if you have any official document, I am interested to hear about it smile.png

As he was pulling away I took a photo of the baht bus with the license number. That's when it got a little weird, he stopped the truck got out and started screaming the rates have changed. Why would he be upset to have me photograph his truck if he'd done nothing wrong?

You have his number: report him.

It doesnt make a scrap of difference whether he took you for 1Baht or 1Billion Baht.

• Like 2

Not that again about the old signs. Answered before many times. It was never followed by anyone. A total farce. Like the baht bus stops but even more ridiculous.

Next ...

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

What part of it's not about the money don't you understand? If you don't live on principles then so be it, move on please.

Personally I don't appreciate being taken, no matter how small. And yes I chose to walk away.

The original post only asked if the fares had gone up, nothing more.

It's not about the money, it's about the principle.

principle over 5 baht? Indignation might be best kept tucked away for 5 baht- people have been beaten and shot for 5 baht here no doubt.

Well I do, but for 5 baht I would let it slide. Not worth getting a bat to the head for 5 baht.

No, the rates have not gone up.

Drivers tend to play more games as high season approaches.

I must say though if you get a driver like that, if you don't pay what he demands you do risk being violently assaulted.

As someone who rides all the time I can tell real changes from incidental bad apple drivers.

Occasional incidents do not represent actual "official" changes.

The OFFICIAL RATES which have not changed are 10 baht for all rides and 20 baht for EXCEPTIONALLY long rides.

The latter has never been defined, so it's possible some drivers will demand 20 from further out Jomtien to Central but that is rare.

IF you pass PATTAYA KLANG, it is more common for there to be a demand of 20, and in my opinion if you go as far as Big C you should just pay 20 without being asked.

Really Pattaya Klang is the semi-official marking line ... it does become a greyer area after that.

Some drivers in past especially during high season have kicked off all passengers at South Pattaya Road or made a big announcement there, that to go further will be 20 baht. These are bad apples.

I suggest just getting off if meeting these bozos.

15 is a creative twist.

If it starts to happen that a MAJORITY of drivers starts demanding 15 from Jomtien to Central, then I will conclude they had a "meeting" and that might be something real. Not even close to that yet! Incidental reports mean almost nothing.

Cheers and safe riding!

You're right I also would walk from Jomtien to Pattaya, rather than pay 15 Baht.

• Like 1

Songthews are so cheap.They have been so low for so long.With the price of gasoline I'm surprised that they aren't charging 50 baht.

I believe if I was A Songthew driver I would charge farangs more simply for the reason most of them have more money than

The average thai and can afford it.

Songthews are so cheap.They have been so low for so long.With the price of gasoline I'm surprised that they aren't charging 50 baht.

I believe if I was A Songthew driver I would charge farangs more simply for the reason most of them have more money than

The average thai and can afford it.

Correct, when I arrived in Pattaya a Bahtbus on the second road/ beach road tour was 5 Baht.

Gasoline was 9 Baht at that time.